• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Moltke said:
Never having played Rome, would die-hard Rome fans say that Vae Victus makes it "buyable" or no?

I was excited about EU:R but nothing since release has sounded very tempting...
It looks like it could very well be.

The biggest problem with eu rome is the character system doesn't matter and or is confusing. Factions should simplify this ALOT(as well as increase depth). Should make the plotting against each other far better.

Last edited:
Great news.

I haven't read about this exp. pack before today, have been so occupied reading about HoI3.

I'm glad they focus on the gameplay instead of extended timeline, but I'd love a bit larger map extended abit eastwards.....

Excellent news. Like many, I was really excited for this game but found myself dissapointed when the demo came around and fan feedback began to roll in. Vae Victis sounds like it's focused on adressing some of the key complaints (lack of interesting stuff happening and the character system being largely inconsequential) by turning the intruige up to eleven - much like my favourite Paradox game, CK :D . This'll probably persuade me to finally invest in Rome.

Darkarbiter said:
Johan I know your reading this, so if I might make one humble modding request:

Please can we have an option to make characters not all spawn one culture. The Seleucid empire's administration wasn't all greek, it was part macedonian and a small % other cultures, adding this (or the ability to add this) in would be great and add much depth to the game. Especially if we were able to modify what % culture through triggers etc and have it change throughout the game. For instance an open nobility could increase the chances of getting non primary culture characters. This would add much depth to the game, and allow for politics influenced by characters religions/cultures making things far more interesting.

It'd also be great if the importance of religion/culture on relations was moddable. The current political situation in asia minor isn't exactly great historical or gameplay wise.
To add to this, it would be completely awesome if Province Culture was displayed as a percentage of different cultures similar to the population itself. Even allowing cultures to spread without using conquest would be great. Neighbors traded and exposed their cultures to each other all the time, and most of the places Rome conquered never lost their cultural identity or at the very least weren't considered Roman for at least a period of 50-100 years after they were conquered.

Or if Paradox really feels like doing some work, a mix of the two, allowing you to view your population of citizens, freedmen, and slaves as percentages and also categorized by culture. That combined with the new "law" system being proposed by Vae Victis would allow restrictions to citizenship among cultures, and have a great deal of implications in the game for the major players.

Would Rome grant its Latin allies citizenship? Can the Ptolemies continue to please their Macedonian and Greek Royalty without forgetting about their Native Egyptian population? Is it possible to unite the host of various peoples under the banner of the Seleucids and still manage to conquer new land?

IHMO just to throw it out there. Culture at this time in history was vastly more important than religion. With enhanced culture, all kinds of things would be possible.

Darkarbiter said:
Please can we have an option to make characters not all spawn one culture.

Yeah, thats on the list of stuff to do.

Okay, this is way too much to read. Tell me, any trade route automization included?

- The dynamics of the characters that live in the Republic will come to life as the men and women have their own personal goals and agendas, which are often in conflict with each other.

Just what was promised for the original EU: Rome title, and never delivered. I'm going to wait a few months, and see what the consensus is here after it's been released, bought, and played by a bunch of people who know how dull the gameplay currently is.

autoassign governors..would be nice

For the people who want an expanded timeline, if Paradox just unlocks the start and end times from the exe and puts them into one of the game files I think it would be a fair compromise that wouldn't require Paradox to invest more time in developing the game world past what they already have.

TheLoneGunman said:
For the people who want an expanded timeline, if Paradox just unlocks the start and end times from the exe and puts them into one of the game files I think it would be a fair compromise that wouldn't require Paradox to invest more time in developing the game world past what they already have.

They did that for EU3 so it would be simple enough to do for EU:R as well (I hope at least :))

This is good news indeed. :)

Paradox top priority should be to fix the governor management, having to appoint new governors every month really slows down the game and is the one reason I don't play Rome anymore.

As previously said: Paradox should introduce a region system so that one governor can handle several provinces. That would make playing larger empires enjoyable.

I just hope there shall be enough of marrying... :eek:o

Mans tend to die young when in frontline. :D

Ah well, a update costing 10 € is not that bad. But odd paying for an update.

Step 1. Release a half-finished game with several crucial flaws
Step 2. Release a 20mb patch and brand it as an "expansion", making sure to leave at least two easily implemented ideas for the next couple of expansions
Step 3. Walk to bank, laugh