• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Van Diemen said:
Damn, I was working some time now to add internal politics and factions in the game for a mod. Now this will render it obsolete!

However I'm glad that we will get an expansion.

Everyones' still relying on you for India though ... so

*Threatens with a sharp potato* Work faster! :mad:

Please both of you, do not dishonour my colleagues as "minions". Makes me think of a game called Evil Genius! :p

Johan said:
no timeline extension, just focus on adding gameplay options and mechanics.

Our goal is to give Rome a "Revolutions" treatment.

Superb. As someone who was disappointed enough with the game to stop playing it after a short while this looks like it might be a great and much needed addition to the basic game system. Looking forward to it.

Any chance Rome might have two consuls now?

So thats what £7.50? although at this rate it will be £10 the way the economy is going.

Still I am glad you decided to wait until I got back from France to announce this :D, so we talking a release date around my 17th birthday mid November just so you know ;).

Will Lucky said:
Still I am glad you decided to wait until I got back from France to announce this :D, so we talking a release date around my 17th birthday mid November just so you know ;).
Don't count on yourself lucky, Will Lucky ;)

I'm glad to hear about the expansion and the price. I was really unhappy about the game when it came out. My excitement and expectations were high because EUIII+NA+IN is a fantastic game (actually I don't know if IN was out yet but anyway), and Roman times are my favourite era. I thought that even if they only took EUIII and dressed into a toga we would have an excellent game but EU:R was major letdown. I'll get this and give it a try, hopefully it brings the game to life.

In Nomine has shown Paradox is capable of listening to criticism and really working a game over, so I'm looking forward to this. I'm actually glad the timeline is staying the same - it means they'll be putting a lot of effort into the mechanics.

:rofl: agree with skyman - get the mechanics right - extra timeline (eg greek city states/persia/rise of macedonia) would be cool but prefer good internal politics, factions, greater depth to characters + some decent management of governors + fix of carthage etc continually attacking tribal minors at some distance from their own provinces

Quick question - Will we get to arrange marriages?

Quick question - Will we get to arrange marriages?

I very much hope so! This is something which irritates me about Rome vanilla and I thought it'd get sorted in 1.3, but I've got hopes for the expansion.

I was quite dissapointed with the expansion announcement, to be honest. :( I was hoping for a "prequel" expansion which added extra factions, extended timeline and larger map. This seems more like a glorified patch. But for less than £10, I can't complain as I love the game!

I very much hope so! This is something which irritates me about Rome vanilla and I thought it'd get sorted in 1.3, but I've got hopes for the expansion.

I was quite dissapointed with the expansion announcement, to be honest. I was hoping for a "prequel" expansion which added extra factions, extended timeline and larger map. This seems more like a glorified patch. But for less than £10, I can't complain as I love the game!

Internal politics, national decisions and misions are more then you think. It is obvious that, once the expansion is installed, Rome will no longer be what it was. It is like yellow collor becoming blue.

I think I'll keep waiting before I think about buying Rome; a map extension and improved peace-negotiation mechanics are necessary elements for me to consider a purchase (increased timeframe (back and forth) would also be nice), even if these promised changes also represent significant qualitative improvements that will make the atmosphere of Rome feel more Roman.

Not that I would have time enough to play anyway... :(

I don't get why people care so much about extended timelines. Vicky and IN are so far the only games where the new timeline actually gets played often and melds properly with the real game, and even then they really don't add anything. HoI's Cold War and EU's Napoleonics completely fail to capture the time period and are essentially worthless additions that really could be made into excellent games of their own.

L'Afrique said:
I don't get why people care so much about extended timelines. Vicky and IN are so far the only games where the new timeline actually gets played often and melds properly with the real game, and even then they really don't add anything. HoI's Cold War and EU's Napoleonics completely fail to capture the time period and are essentially worthless additions that really could be made into excellent games of their own.

I'm in the same boat. I don't care about timelines as long as the game is good...high quality and deep.

Well, this should hopefully provide more stuff to do during those long periods of no war and waiting for colonies to breed enough to expand :D Expanded time, whether forward or back, would always be interesting but I'd certainly rather have a deeper game experience established before such things are pursued.

Well, when the game is good, it's always interesting to be able to play longer... especially with a bigger map! But I'm with you on that: a better and deeper short game beats a long average one. But nothing can beat a long, good and deep game!