• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll chirp up as well and ask, ever so politely, if any new updates are coming for VV now that the latest patch for EU3 is out.

First off let me say that I'm a fan. I enjoy the realism and challenging nature of this game quite a bit. One thing I'd like to mention though, is that I hope the negotiations for brokering peace will be modified some.

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised and understood the historical accuracy of having to rescind conquered provinces after the war, but the diplomacy is too 20th century. I mean this was the b.c.s after all and like Persia under Alexander, if you completely conquer the empire, it should have virtually no say in the peace deal. Perhaps there could be some adjustments such as once you take the capital, the current ruler of the conquered nation dies and you conquer the majority of their provinces they get severely limited diplomacy. I say this after decimating Egypt in a long bloody war, taking 14 or so provinces to the point where they have no army, navy, or unoccupied province and I'm probably going to end up with 3-4 provinces as my bounty...This just doesn't seem realistic in the brutal ancient world.

Other than that, I really enjoy the game. It isn't afraid to add unforgiving historical accuracy into the game.

I'm inclined to agree that post-war diplomacy really doesn't depict the era very well.

It works in EU3, but as already stated, antiquity was much more brutal. The 1.3 patch was supposed to scale the value of provinces better than 1.2, but I really haven't noticed any change.

How about this solution:

Change the "Core province" system. Introduce something like "Homeland Province" (which is, from what I can tell, what Cores were supposed to represent) and "Imperial Province." Homeland Provinces rarely change, while Imperial Provinces can act similarly to how Cores behave now. Have a system whereby Imperial provinces are worth virtually nothing in peace settlements (eg all Imperial provinces added up would be worth 100% Warscore), while Homeland provinces are worth lots. If the loser has no Imperial provinces during a peace deal, then they can be annexed with huge badboy hits on the victor.

To counteract the inevitable "blobbism" that would result from this, introduce other peace settlement possibilities. Allow the releasing of vassals, canceling of tribute, breaking up alliances, cessation of land to other factions (though this would require greater control over who gets what provinces), and/or a demand for money that the loser might not even have on hand (read: Antiochus III).

Maybe that's a little too much even for an expansion, but I can dream :p

Anothing interesting suggestion I have been pondering, though the chances of Paradox even seeing this are minute:

Allow the player to negotiate with rebels (the red-black ones, not civil war opponents. Edit: though it would be nice to be able to negotiate with civil war enemies - see Mark Antony vs Octavian before they became political allies) in much the same way as barbarians. Be able to demand a surrender if a rebel army was surrounded by your own armies. Be able to create vassals if the rebel army takes a province. Be able to offer a tax reduction if the rebels disband, and so on and so forth. Not all armed revolts ended with all of the perpetrators being slaughtered, despite what Crassus would have us believe.

On the topic of barbarians, I like how 1.3 made barbarians more likely to assault towns. However, whenever a province is taken, they move onto the next province, allowing a careful player to re-capture any lost towns while the barbarians are busy besieging another. Maybe it would be better if barbarians would stop trying to conquer after taking 2-3 provinces (depending on the size of the barbarian army), allowing them to better defend their new lands?

Most of all, and I've already raised this point earlier, would be to have pop-up windows (ie events etc) appear somewhere other than the centre of the screen. All of the player's attention is usually fixed on the centre, as this is where the action is, and it irritates me to no end to have several events pop up during the middle of an intense war. It's easy enough to hit the pause button if this happens, but it's still frustrating.

Anyway, just some little things if the Paradox fellas decide to have a look.

Any plans to reduce the quantity of Terra Incognita and/or add some more tribes/people? (Sorry if I missed it, skimming 11 pages)