• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Just when we are allowed to pass new franchise reform, we lose the Cortz. Just as I expected.:p))

We have done well in this election, though not as well as I would've expected. The conservatives have retaken the upper house, and we won't be able to pass our legislation without them. I strongly recommend opening negotiations with the Caballeresca so that we can secure a majority in both houses.

Congratulations on your gains. It seems that our two parties each control the Assembly and Cortz. I feared such a situation would occur. Neither of us can pass legislation without the other's support. But let's not oppose each other, because neither of us will get anything done. On the campaign trail we already showed the people we have much in common. Let's form an alliance for the benefit of all Hispanians.

I understand, but the truth of the matter is, we have governed 8 of the last 12 years without control of the Cortz. Laws were passed in those 4 years that give us more power to act with the cabinet alone than we had in those first 8 years as well.

There's also the fact that the protest movement backing equalizing the franchise is larger than the one that backed expanding the franchise to the poor. They oppose it at their own political peril. Keep in mind the longer this movement operates, the more that'll turn Hispanians to liberalism.((game mechanic))

Also given abstention laws all we need is significant
abstaintions on franchise expansion on their side. If that happens our 43 Cortz seats would be enough to pass the law. They wouldn't dare continue to block franchise reform in the face of a growing movement, the political cost would leave them perpetually out of power. They'd be under seige and would challenge their ability to hold their coalition together.

Giving speech in parliament

I am not presumptuous enough to believe I can unilaterally go about forging a coalition with one party or another, but the results of the election are clear. The liberal ideal has proven more convincing to the electorate than any other, as such it'd be fitting that the coalition the leads Hispania in cabinet is a liberal one.

While Cortz members have shifted coalitions, it is important to remember Fraternidad governed it's first 8 years with a slimmer liberal majority than we have in parliament today and without a majority in the Cortz. If we are to go on despite this, it'd be far from without precedent.

Lastly with the liberal victory it is clear even despite our unequal electoral system, Hispania has shown strong support for of equalizing the Franchise. As such, we'd appreciate if the members of the conservative controlled Cortz would accept that mandate.

((I'm assuming that you'll let franchise equalization pass?))

((I personally don't mind it, but I'll have to consult with @texasjoshua and the other Hispania's Moderates. I don't think @hirahammad would mind either, but I'll have to ask him too.))

((Just when we are allowed to pass new franchise reform, we lose the Cortz. Just as I expected.:p))

We have done well in this election, though not as well as I would've expected. The conservatives have retaken the upper house, and we won't be able to pass our legislation without them. I strongly recommend opening negotiations with the Caballeresca so that we can secure a majority in both houses.

Congratulations on your gains. It seems that our two parties each control the Assembly and Cortz. I feared such a situation would occur. Neither of us can pass legislation without the other's support. But let's not oppose each other, because neither of us will get anything done. On the campaign trail we already showed the people we have much in common. Let's form an alliance for the benefit of all Hispanians.

Greetings Senor de Leon,
I will certainly take this into consideration. I will, of course, need to speak to the other members of my party, so we can come to a decision as a group. I have no problem working with you and Senor de Alicante, but I do not know if my colleagues will look kindly on working with Senor Medrano, and I must say, I share their reluctance. Either way, feel free to make an offer, but for now, I must consult the coalition. Hopefully, I shall receive prompt responses from them, so I can in turn respond promptly to you.
Regards,
Alfonso de Alejandría
Conde de Alejandría
Chamberlain of the Cortz
Minister of the Navy

@texasjoshua @hirahammad @ManuelD'Garkia @Miratia @DragonOfAtlantis @antonioneto232
Well, we did the best we could, and we now control the Cortz. With both of our parties, we control a plurality in the Assembly. Not ideal, but still salvageable. The question is, where do we go from here. I have received an offer from Senor de Leon for an alliance with the Fraternidad. Seeing as we are all equals, I felt it imperative that we come to a collective decision. Do we attempt to form a government without the Fraternidad, accept the offer of the Fraternidad, or demand to work only with one of the parties. In addition, the matter of Franchise Equalization. Do we allow it to happen, do we block it outright, or do we offer to support it in exchange for them ending their attempts to change the Cortz? Finally, there is the matter of the Partido Reformista Monárquica. Do we invite them into the fold, or leave them alone?

Ally with the Fraternidad: Yes/No/Only Reconquista/Only Adelante
Franchise Equalization: Yes/No/In exchange for blocking Cortz Reform
Ally with Reformistas: Yes/No

My votes
Ally with the Fraternidad: Only Reconquista
Franchise Equalization: In exchange for blocking Cortz Reform
Ally with Reformistas: Yes

Last edited:
((Clever move, trying to break up the Fraternidad from the inside.:D))

((Private))

Emperor Ferran VI stared out the window of the country estate, watching the rain pelt against the glass. The weather fit his mood. Dark, tormented, cold. How had he ended up like this? He could barely remember a time when he was happy. Faint memories of his youth in Leon, every day spent with his wife with not a care in the world. The attempt on his father's life had changed that. His brother Jaume had decided to flee abroad; Ferran had fled within himself. It was easier to ignore the pain when he ignored the suffering around him. Joan had forced him to finally face the fact that he could not ignore the world around him. It'd been a hard lesson, one that had drained him until there was little left. He felt so tired these days, tired of struggling through every problem that reared his head. Riots, fires, disease, and death. His daughter's death still weighed heavily on him. That was why he was in this dreadful place.

A knock on the door broke through the sound of the pouring rain. Ferran waited for a servant to get the door, but then remembered that he had not brought any with him. They did not need to know the details of this meeting. He had only his most trusted guards with him. With a sigh, Ferran paced towards the door, trying not to take in too many details of the manor. This was where Joan had kept his father for years while his mind faded away. The atmosphere still had a sense of loss to it and Ferran hated to be reminded of his father's fate. Still, this estate was remote and less known than his others, making it an ideal place for a clandestine meeting.

Two guards stood next to the front door, neither moving even as another knock came from the door. They were paid to keep him safe, and unwelcome guests could be threats. Even welcome ones could be as well. Ferran nodded for them to open the door. One guard pulled it open and let the guests inside. Three men wearing identical thick cloaks stomped in, trying to get the water out of their boots. Between them they dragged a unshaven man with his hands bound behind his back. One of the cloaked men gave a slight bow. "Where should we put him?"

Ferran guided them into the other room and waved to an oak chair against the wall. The cloaked men roughly shoved their captive into the chair. He let out a grunt, but otherwise kept a gruff look on his face. He spat out the side of his mouth in contempt. Hopefully this man would not deny him his answers or there would be trouble.

"Let's start with something simple," the Emperor said. "Who hired you?"

The captive stared at the far wall, barely blinking as if trying to maintain his focus on something that wasn't there. Ferran waved at one of the cloaked men and he slapped the prisoner across the face.

"I don't want to have to repeat myself. Who hired you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," the man said in a thick Greek accent. He snorted and spat on the floor again.

Ferran took in a deep breath, trying to remain calm. He was not in the mood for games. "My men here discovered that you were the one who arranged for new mechanics for the Santa Catalina." Ferran stepped over to a nearby desk, grabbed some documents off the top, and waved them in front of the man's face. Most of them were singed or partly burnt. "You tried to destroy them, but it appears you weren't so thorough. Your misfortune is my good luck. Now tell me why you arranged this transfer?"

The captive looked away and yawned. Ferran gave a wave to the cloaked men and one of them slapped the man again.

Trying his best to contain his temper, Ferran returned to the desk and fetched another document, this one still in perfect shape. He held it before the man's eyes, although it was clear he wasn't bothering to try to read it. "This here is a coroner's report for an unknown vagrant found dead in Constantinople. Perhaps he may have remained as such if my men here had not snooped deep enough. For some strange reason, this beggar who seems to have died in the streets was actually the head mechanic of the Santa Catalina. Now how did a Hispanian mechanic end up dressed as a beggar in Constantinople without anyone noticing?"

"I ain't saying nothing," the man said with a sneer.

"So you know something, but you choose not to speak." The Emperor glared down at the man, but he seemed unfazed. After a staring contest lasting several seconds, Ferran glanced to the cloaked men. "Very well. Break his fingers."

The captive's eyes flashed, but otherwise he remained passive. As one of the men grabbed his hand, he glanced up at the Emperor. He must have seen the dead serious expression and blazing fury in Ferran's eyes because his demeanour immediately changed. He began to squirm and tried to get out of the chair. "Okay, I'll talk. Just leave my fingers alone."

Ferran nodded and the cloaked man withdrew.

The prisoner licked his lips, staring down at the floor. "I was the one who arranged for the new mechanics. I forged the paperwork to get them on-board and arranged for the Hispanian mechanics to disappear. I was told they were to be ransomed afterwards, not killed, I swear."

Ferran's hands were clenched so tightly that his fingers were beginning to ache. His intense glare was making the captive cower before him, but he did not care if the man was intimidated or scared. He was so close to getting his answers. "And the boiler? Was it to be sabotaged?"

"I don't know anything about that, I swear," the man said, squirming in his seat. "I was just told to get those men on the ship. I wasn't told what they were to do once on there."

"Who told you to do it?" Ferran asked, wrapping his fingers around the armrests of the captive's chair and leaning in so close he could smell the man's foul breath.

The captive fidgeted and looked away. "I can't tell you. He'll kill me."

"Who?" Ferran felt like the armrests would snap in his hands he was squeezing them so tightly.

"I can't..."

The Emperor had had enough. His hand shot out and he wrapped his fingers around the man's neck with both hands. He was old and likely couldn't do much damage, but the man had his hands bound and could barely struggle against his grasp. "Who murdered my daughter?"

The prisoner struggled to break free, but the cloaked men moved in and held him down. His face started to turn a shade of blue and his eyelids fought to stay open. When it seemed he was ready to pass out, he gurgled out a word the Emperor could not understand. When Ferran realized the man could not speak while being choked, he released his grip. The captive gasped for air for several second, tears coming to his eyes.

After the man had enough time to catch his breath, Ferran leaned in close and whispered, "Who killed my daughter?"

Silence filled the room, then a single word was uttered, so quiet it nearly startled the Emperor when it was finally spoken. "Adrianos."

A flurry of emotions consumed Ferran in that instance. Rage, sadness, vindication, but mostly a thirst for revenge. He had been right all along. The Basileus had murdered his daughter. Yet he could not go ahead unless he was certain. He turned back to the man. "Are you absolutely certain it was him?"

"Yes," the captive said after letting out a resigned sigh. "He met with me in secret and told me to arrange for his men to get on-board as mechanics. He never said why, but I suspected it was nothing good."

"And yet you still did it anyway."

The man flinched at the barb directed his way. "He was a prince. A smart man does not refuse royalty."

"No, they do not," Ferran said, taking in all that had been said so far. He knew what he had to do, but was not certain if he could do it. He had to prepare himself, both physically and mentally, for what was to come. Without looking back, he left the room, done with the prisoner now that he had what he wanted.

One of the cloaked men followed the Emperor out. "What should we do with him, Your Imperial Highness? Shall I dispose of him?"

Ferran thought about it for a moment. "No. Lock him up somewhere and make sure he is cared for. Try to get as much information out of him as you can. He is not to be killed under any circumstances. We may have need of him as a witness later."

With that done, the Emperor prepared to depart for Valencia. The rain continued to pour down as he stepped into his carriage and began the journey back to the capital. He had much to dwell on during the trip. The Basileus had murdered his daughter. Deep down he had known it and the conversation he had just had made him believe it even more. There were still some holes, for he had no proof the men planted on that ship had actually caused the boiler explosion, but everything pointed to the fact that Adrianos had been up to something suspicious. He would get the truth. But more importantly, he would get revenge.

((I likely won't be logging on to Paradox for the next day or two, so don't be surprised if I don't respond for some time. As for this post, this is just the result of the investigation roll I conducted right before the update. No one knows the results except for the Emperor. I'll take the next step once I have time.))

The Election has once again resulted in a dilemma, but one that should be easily solved.

As there has never been a Government without the Assembly, The Conservative Factions may be willing to deal with the Fratenidad to obtain the needed seats. But I would believe that their position in the Cortz would give them cause to treat any liberal who seeks to work with them unfairly. The Populares are willing to extend a hand in reconciliation to the Fraternidad to form a Government, should you be willing to consider it...

"Is this truly what you want?"

"It certainly is. Just look at who voted for us and you see that we need to adjust our ideals again. You saved the party from extinction, now I need to do that."

Lluis Faixòn looked around. The other members of the party nodded. He couldn't just ignore it, too. While he did his best to appeal to the lower class, the Fénix' initial electorate - while they were disenfranchised - the lower classes preferred to believe the Fraternidad's vague promises (at best) and lies. Emiliano's demand was backed by most of his party, too. He sighed. "Very well then. I will retire from politics and focus on the company. Good luck, son."

A short election took place, and it was rapidly confirmed that the new leader of the Partido Fénix would be Emiliano Felipe Faixòn. The party reoriented itself once again - while the core ideal of freedom remained, Emiliano wished to embrace the place as fringe party, entirely unlike his great-grandfather, the party's founder sharing his first name. He was under no illusions that the Fénix' policies benefitted the industrialists the most - in his own opinion, the most deserving class - and as such, the party would now concentrate on its pro-capitalism stance, focus on the needs and advance of the wealthy class. For the rabble, the wide masses, already preferred listening to what is good for them in short term than what is good for the entire economy. Perhaps there were more votes to be gained representing the rich. The least the party would gain is an elecorate which could identify with it.

((Here's the character information.))
Name: Emiliano Felipe Faixòn
Birth date: 3rd January, 1826
Class: Capitalist
House: Assembly, Fénix
Bio: The eldest son of Lluis Faixòn, Emiliano had been an idealist in his youth, zealously writing for Le Bélvèdere, participating in all kinds of activities for his party, while also caring for his father's business in his absence. In time though, reality has caught up with him and changed his opinions. He also might have listened too much to his brother who didn't see anyone even close to his level. Emiliano began to understand that the common man lacked the intellect to understand the true value of the Fénix' ideals, and that the ascension of the industrial class was here to provide new leadership for the nation. Men like his father and Mwenemutapa were responsible for great parts of Hispania's economy. The empire could not flourish without them, so these men should have the corresponding roles in government as well. If anyone was smart enough to rise up to that status, that would have to be honoured as well. In the end, all of the Fénix' policies could stay the same, merely the target was different, and Emiliano saw himself as the embodiment of that target group. If nothing would change, then because the world was not ready.

I would strongly like to suggest considering the offer of the Partido Popular, if they're willing to accept our control of the armed forces, both in aspects of Ministeries and policy. We only need them to take the Assembly, and, as Senor Medrano accurately points out, we do not need a majority in the Cortz as the Conservatives will not dare defy the growing will of the people for franchise expansion and, if they do, they will forfeit support in the coming election.

Takawira Mwenemutapa

Fellow Fraternidad members,

It was more acceptable to me to form a political block with the moderate conservatives back in 1852 than it is now to work with a sizeable party that will likely demand more in favour of their cooperation. I have earlier made my stance toward the Partido Popular clear, after the actions by Villahermosa. However, I'm willing to give him and his party one more chance, with the demand that they give up their pacifist stance, as they otherwise generally agree with our policies.

D'Garcia leaving our coalition is sad to see, but he has expressed a willingness to work with us where our policies match each other and I am glad to hear that he does not seem to give up his compromise-ready stance. I need not state that I'm less happy with Villanova's opinions. He has called himself a moderate conservative, and perhaps he is, perhaps he is not, but in any case I would like to avoid granting him a ministry again. He might however be to prefer before an outright conservative politician.

Four years ago I was supportive to cooperation with the Fénix, even when they were needless to give us a majority. But Faixòn's harsh words have made any of my willingness to continue that support evaporate. Even though he is now retiring from his party, I wish to make it clear that I no longer view the Fénix fondly.

In short, I would prefer to see if we can make Partido Popular accept our military policy. If they do not accept we may consider the conservative and Social Moderada in our government. However, I will respect the opinions of the members of Fraternidad, so that if it is what you whish, the conservative will be our allies.

~Sincerely, Bernardo de Alicante

Ally with the Fraternidad: No
Franchise Equalization: No

But I say If Conservatives expect the Reformistas (and Us) to join in a coalition, we expect at least a minor adjustment in economic policies (Interventionism) I am not demanding anything but I am a defender of some intervention in economy, otherwise we would have a pretty liberal platform for a Conservative party, I also believe that most of your members also think that way.

If we form a coalition with the Partido Populare, it isn't so nessecary that they give up their pacifist stance in regards to themselves. All that's nessecary is that they don't get cabinet roles in foreign affairs or war and that they don't oppose us expanding the military. In exchange we can pledge that we won't start any wars.

I don't see any reason to form any deal with the conservatives unless they pledge to pass franchise equalization, honestly I wouldn't want to give them anything in cabinet but religious affairs, there really isn't anything else we need to pass through parliament.

It should be them coming to us with an offer, not the otherwise around.

As for the social moderates, they are just a fall back if a coalition with populares doesn't work.

Last edited:
- With the current developments as they are I most say that we need to be more willing than ever to make compromise. First, I address that we should only ally with the Reconquista, the main reasons are that Adelante is a party I think non of us want to work with, and second because it will finally split the Fraternidad, if they don't accept this I see it hard that they ally with us without demanding being the leaders of the Governmental coalition, so I guess we will need to force them to compromise or go without them. I say that support the Franchise Equalization, but if the majority prefers to block the Cortz reform in exchange I won't be mad about it, since I understand why you don't want the Cortz reformed. Lastly, I most say that even if I have had clashes with del Toro and his party I'm more willing to work with him than to work with Adelante, Populares or the Fenix, so I can accept them in.

Franchise Equalization: In exchange for blocking Cortz Reform

Another thing, thanks to the Imperial Commonwealth Association Act, the Ministry of Colonial Affairs can now elevate colonies to the state level unilaterally, which was the main reason I proposed that law. Note that's why it needed to pass with 60% and it did.

Now the main reason we needed to get things passed the Cortz is gone, as we can now incorporate colonies into our economy and give them the franchise with ease.

"Is this truly what you want?"

"It certainly is. Just look at who voted for us and you see that we need to adjust our ideals again. You saved the party from extinction, now I need to do that."

Lluis Faixòn looked around. The other members of the party nodded. He couldn't just ignore it, too. While he did his best to appeal to the lower class, the Fénix' initial electorate - while they were disenfranchised - the lower classes preferred to believe the Fraternidad's vague promises (at best) and lies. Emiliano's demand was backed by most of his party, too. He sighed. "Very well then. I will retire from politics and focus on the company. Good luck, son."

A short election took place, and it was rapidly confirmed that the new leader of the Partido Fénix would be Emiliano Felipe Faixòn. The party reoriented itself once again - while the core ideal of freedom remained, Emiliano wished to embrace the place as fringe party, entirely unlike his great-grandfather, the party's founder sharing his first name. He was under no illusions that the Fénix' policies benefitted the industrialists the most - in his own opinion, the most deserving class - and as such, the party would now concentrate on its pro-capitalism stance, focus on the needs and advance of the wealthy class. For the rabble, the wide masses, already preferred listening to what is good for them in short term than what is good for the entire economy. Perhaps there were more votes to be gained representing the rich. The least the party would gain is an elecorate which could identify with it.

((Here's the character information.))
Name: Emiliano Felipe Faixòn
Birth date: 3rd January, 1826
Class: Capitalist
House: Assembly, Fénix
Bio: The eldest son of Lluis Faixòn, Emiliano had been an idealist in his youth, zealously writing for Le Bélvèdere, participating in all kinds of activities for his party, while also caring for his father's business in his absence. In time though, reality has caught up with him and changed his opinions. He also might have listened too much to his brother who didn't see anyone even close to his level. Emiliano began to understand that the common man lacked the intellect to understand the true value of the Fénix' ideals, and that the ascension of the industrial class was here to provide new leadership for the nation. Men like his father and Mwenemutapa were responsible for great parts of Hispania's economy. The empire could not flourish without them, so these men should have the corresponding roles in government as well. If anyone was smart enough to rise up to that status, that would have to be honoured as well. In the end, all of the Fénix' policies could stay the same, merely the target was different, and Emiliano saw himself as the embodiment of that target group. If nothing would change, then because the world was not ready.

((It's funny because in game fenix's primary electorate is Egyptian and Chinese farmers. I happily invite the Fenix to pivot to trying win the vote of all ~45000 capitalists and maybe the some clerks as well. Should allow them to keep their four seats. :)))

Greetings Senor de Leon,
I will certainly take this into consideration. I will, of course, need to speak to the other members of my party, so we can come to a decision as a group. I have no problem working with you and Senor de Alicante, but I do not know if my colleagues will look kindly on working with Senor Medrano, and I must say, I share their reluctance. Either way, feel free to make an offer, but for now, I must consult the coalition. Hopefully, I shall receive prompt responses from them, so I can in turn respond promptly to you.
Regards,
Alfonso de Alejandría
Conde de Alejandría
Chamberlain of the Cortz
Minister of the Navy
Senor de Alejandria

Thank you for your cooperation. It's nice to hear that you at least are willing to work with us. I understand your concerns about working with Senor Medrano, and I understand. But if I may, let me make an offer here: the Reconquista and Marina will join a coalition with the Caballeresca (and the Social Moderates, if you want to include them) under the name of Fraternidad, but without the Adelante, so that the Fraternidad will continue to exist without Senor Medrano (since his party has a negligible presence even within the Fraternidad, this should not present any problems). Cortz reform is not a priority, so that should satisfy the more conservative members. Our primary concerns are passing franchise expansion and other social reforms, and we are willing to compromise on economic and military policy, though we will not accept trickle-down economics or pacifism in any way (since you campaigned against both during the election, this should not be a problem). Please relay these terms to the rest of your colleagues so we can hear their opinions.

Regards,
Leon

((You do know that the Fraternidad is basically just the Reconquista with the Marina and Adelante attached to it, right? And both the Marina and Adelante have exactly one member, right? I'm basically the most powerful person in the Fraternidad, like it or not.:p

I'll also be annexing the Marina into the Reconquista, because their only member is currently inactive, if that's possible.))

Franchise Equalization: Total Blockage, to the extent of even willing to discuss Cortz reform. (Though extremely conservative reform)

Calls to change the Cortz have only grown louder, I stand by my stance that the Cortz must maintain its strength, but I would rather be involved and discussing what changes the liberals aim for then allowing them to force through such a change.

Senor de Alejandria

Thank you for your cooperation. It's nice to hear that you at least are willing to work with us. I understand your concerns about working with Senor Medrano, and I understand. But if I may, let me make an offer here: the Reconquista and Marina will join a coalition with the Caballeresca (and the Social Moderates, if you want to include them) under the name of Fraternidad, but without the Adelante, so that the Fraternidad will continue to exist without Senor Medrano (since his party has a negligible presence even within the Fraternidad, this should not present any problems). Cortz reform is not a priority, so that should satisfy the more conservative members. Our primary concerns are passing franchise expansion and other social reforms, and we are willing to compromise on economic and military policy, though we will not accept trickle-down economics or pacifism in any way (since you campaigned against both during the election, this should not be a problem). Please relay these terms to the rest of your colleagues so we can hear their opinions.

Regards,
Leon

((You do know that the Fraternidad is basically just the Reconquista with the Marina and Adelante attached to it, right? And both the Marina and Adelante have exactly one member, right? I'm basically the most powerful person in the Fraternidad, like it or not.:p

I'll also be annexing the Marina into the Reconquista, because their only member is currently inactive, if that's possible.))

((Isn't @Sancronis part of Marina?))

Last edited:
Isn't @Sancronis part of Marina?
((No. He joined Adelante.))
Senor de Alejandria

Regards,
Leon

((I'll respond to this in about an hour. Possibly longer.))