• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Partido Moderado-Cristiano))
A young, innocent girl. So new into this world, so quickly pushed into the pit of despair by that invisible hand. Day by day, she trudged, day by day, the light in her eyes slowly faded. This beautiful child was reduced to a hollow shell. All she had was a faint glimmer of hope, enveloped in darkness. Every day, the black dust filled her breath. Forced to disembowel Mother Earth, the inky coal and her dreams, fuel for the factories. But all hope she had was taken, too, by cruel coal capital. One day, the girl, overburdened by the weight of the world, pushed down hard by the invisible hand, was pulled into the dark abyss. A slip, a scrape, a little whimper, a plea for help, help she should have gotten a long time ago, one last look at a cruel world, and was swallowed by the gaping shadows of the coal, the fiery maw of coal-fueled oblivion, this suffering angel pulled down to a veritable Hades by that invisible hand.

She never had a choice. She was forced into that mine just as surely as she was forced down that steep shaft into doom. A scapegoat. But you can let her be a lamb of God. Prevent other deaths like hers. Save countless children from slavery and desolation. Choose the Partido Moderado-Cristiano.

We believe that a free market can help the economy and improve the wellbeing of all of us, but not without intervention. We mustn't let greedy men take control of the lives of our children. We need a humane economy, where the government works with the businessmen to create a better world for all of us, not just the top, a world which empowers children, rather than enslaving them. We are the humane economy, a middle ground between the constricting methods of the pass and the reformists who would hand power to men unfit to wield it.

Stop deaths like her's. Create a humane economy for all of us. Vote for the Partido Moderado-Cristiano.

((I had written close to a page of this, when my keyboard betrayed me and replaced it with a hundred copies of the URL. :mad: This is close to the original, though.:rolleyes: ))

The Cardinal Diego drafts this bill.
Regulation of the Safety of Labor​

Clause I. A Committee for the Regulation of the Safety of Labor is to be formed under the Ministry of the Interior, the head appointed by the Minister of the Interior.
Subclause I. This Committee meets biennially to direct local governments to inspect the workplaces of industries constituting at minimum ten percent of total trade within the governed locale.
Subclause II. The inspectors shall be provided with guidelines with which to judge the safety of workplaces. If the safety is found unsatisfactory, the inspector is to notify the local government, which is to enforce the inspectors' requirements at the risk of closure.

Clause II. Guidelines, which shall be specified for individual industries, aim at lowering the risk of fatalities at workplaces, and create environments where properly-skilled workers are at little to no risk of death.

((Minimal Safety Regulations))

Last edited:
Robert%20E.%20Lee.jpg

Alfonso in his later years
Name: Alfonso de Alejandría
Date of Birth: August 21, 1806 (Age 44)
Class: Aristocrat
Traits: Cartographer, Audacious
Religion: Coptic Catholic
House: Cortz
Party: Unio dels Conservadors Romans
Bio: Alfonso is the Count of Alexandria, holding a seat in the Cortz. Alfonso speaks Aragonese, Latin, English, Greek, French, and Arabic; as well as having an education in History, Theology, Agriculture, and Science. Fascinated by the explorers who set out into uncharted lands to discover new lands, Alfonso has always dreamed of one day commanding a fleet, having attended the Imperial Naval Academy. Alfonso cares deeply for the people of his city, both native and immigrant, and seeks to improve their situation by attracting more investments in Lower Egypt. Firmly believing in the principles of a strong monarchy and a system where people rule based on their ability, Alfonso seeks to carve out a place in history for himself in service to the empire, if not as an admiral than as a politician. He is currently a widower

Vice-Admiral of Hispania 1850-1852
Minister of the Navy 1852-1868
Chamberlain of the Cortz 1852-1868
Party Chair of the Coalició Caballeresca 1855- 1864
Prime Minister 1856-1864
Minister of the Interior 1856-1868
Minister of Justice 1859-1864

IC

Name: Elías de Alejandría
Date of Birth: March 28th, 1831 (Age 19)
Trait: School Of Defense, Cautious
House: N/A
Party: Independent
Bio: Only son and heir of the ruling Count of Alexandria, Elías shares his father’s interest in the well-being of the local population, and regularly took part in charity to improve the conditions of the people living in and Around Alexandria. When Elías was raised, he often visited the dockyards of Alexandria, to be more attuned to the local workers. This has instilled him a love of sailing like his father. He still received a quality education, however, and being in such a linguistically diverse place as a harbor, has allowed him to gain a working knowledge of Greek, French, Italian, Mandarin, Swedish, and German, in addition to Aragonese and Arabic. Soon after turning 18 Elías enrolled in the Imperial Naval Academy as his father did. He is married to Llora de Trastámara and has 5 children.

Vice-Admiral of Hispania 1852-1854
Admiral of Hispania 1854-1856
Grand Admiral of the Atlantic 1856-

Name: Isabella de Alejandría
Date of birth: December 21st, 1832 (Age 17)
House: N/A
Party: N/A
Bio: Isabella is the second child of the Count of Alexandria.
Coat of Arms of the Alejandrías

220px-Coptic_COA.svg.png

Last edited:
((Fénix election))
The economy continues to flourish. Free trade, as explained in Alfons Sanchez' excellent pamphlet, is our way into the future. That we already embrace it just shows how much Hispania has already arrived in the future! Production increases, prices decrease, overall wealth augments. Now that they see that we of the Fénix and of the Marina had always been right with our policy of laissez-faire, they are trying to jump on that train. But who knows better? Those who already have experience with it or these who just see their benefits and try to copy it?
The Moderato-Cristiano already prove that they have a lacking understanding of laissez-faire with their proposed law: There is one tragic accident, and immediately they try to capitalize on it for their own gain, so that they might be able to say "thanks to us, nobody dies". It is our firm belief that any intervention in the market will have negative consequences, and that the problem - should it exist on a greater scale, which is doubtable - is best solved through progress, necessitating investments, and the mechanisms inherent to the market. With a growing economy, there will be competition for skilled craftsmen, so their working conditions will weigh into their decision where to work. Then again, there is the customer's decision where to buy, and should there be multiple accidents, then they will likely not be as willing to buy there. The market will heal itself - we shouldn't wound it.
No, we must continue where we left off - no interference on the internal market, and always an eye out to open new trade opportunities abroad. While others are waging wars at great costs with little gain, Hispania shall stand aside and prosper, be the empire we all want to live in, allow people the freedom to choose what they want to achieve and do it.

((Parliament))
"I don't want to believe what I am hearing here", Faixòn exclaimed as the Act of Defining the Jurisdiction of La Guàrdia Real was presented. "'Any means necessary', 'permanent permission to enter or depart the capital', 'jurisdiction' against those 'believed to have engaged in illegal acts', then 'sentence' and 'carry out the sentence'. What this act achieves, is to create a shadow force controlling the government! Why do we have independent jurisdiction? Exactly so that something like this doesn't happen. You set one foot on Crown Property, which is inevitable if you are in the government, and the Imperial Guard would just be able to charge you of whatever crime they can think of - easiest one, plotting to assassinate His Imperial Highness - immediately trial and execute you. The Emperor himself can just be held hidden within the palace - don't say this never happened before - with nobody having access to him, just the Imperial Guard, conveniently deciding what to tell the frightened people outside what the Emperor thinks. Of course, this is a radical scenario, and I wouldn't want to question the integrity of the Guardia Real - but it could happen. We are talking about men who didn't hesitate to shoot innocent civilians when given the order, so all it would take is the wrong man being in charge, as the Black Regent was, and the Imperial Guard reigns. This is not a risk to take.
As for the Regulation of the Safety of Labor: Not only it completely misses its goal, for why should just major industries be affected? Wouldn't that just encourage minor industries to disrespect this misguided act? No, it is also against the fundamental recipe of our economical success. Safety of labour is achieved through progress, a progress which needs investions, investions which aren't made if there is less money available. In the short term, some select few might be safer - but for all others, safety which would have been achieved in five years might instead be achieved in fifteen. That is without taking market mechanisms into account. This regulation causes more damage than it aims to heal."

((I am going to build a Luxury Clothes factory in Lower Egypt - already achieved one goal without doing much, welcome @TylerCraigofPrussia :D - as well as a Steel factory in Constantine, depending on whether we are finally going to privatize the state factories.

The plan for the Ministry of Education can stay in effect.))

I. For the purposes of Franchise expansion, merely a simple majority is needed for the Act to pass. Franchise expansion shall be defined as any act that would grant any person the right to vote who currently lacks it.

II. Franchise reduction, its opposite, shall continue to require 60%

III. Adjustments to the weights of votes is considered neither expansion or reduction, and shall only require a simple majority

IV. Should this Act be passed, it shall affect any law up for vote alongside it shall use the adjusted criteria stated in this Act.

I. All Christian men of lawful age residing in the states of the Empire shall be allowed to vote in elections.

II. The vote shall once again be weighted towards the wealth of the voter.

I. For the purposes of Franchise expansion, merely a simple majority is needed for the Act to pass. Franchise expansion shall be defined as any act that would grant any person the right to vote who currently lacks it.

II. Franchise reduction, its opposite, shall continue to require 60%

III. Adjustments to the weights of votes is considered neither expansion or reduction, and shall only require a simple majority

IV. Should this Act be passed, it shall affect any law up for vote alongside it shall use the adjusted criteria stated in this Act.

I. All Christian men of lawful age residing in the states of the Empire shall be allowed to vote in elections.

II. The vote shall once again be weighted towards the wealth of the voter.
((Wait, what exactly is the difference of these acts :confused: ? And weren't you expelled from the party ? Your assemblymen can't create votes. Like the Cesare's.))

((The Child Labor Regulation Act clearly states that children are not to be assigned to highly dangerous tasks, I'd like an investigation on the matter of the coal tub tragedy))

Unscrupulous "moderate" conservatives have already begun to use the tragedy of a poor girl's death to conflate issues and push their defunct economic policy. Firstly I must say that I believe there's a very good chance that this tragedy already violated existing regulations against child labour, I've directed the staff of the Ministry of Finance to Persie that matter. Secondly, the conservatives have finally, allegedly at least, have begun to see the path to good policy with their tentative support for Free Trade. But they continue to endorse a policy of interventionism in the industrial economy. Mind you, their policies of wasteful subsidies to prop up inefficient business and crowd out efficient business, both artisanal and industrial, have nothing to do with social regulation. We can very easily have one with or without the other.

While the conservatives were in cabinet, they endeavoured to have subsidy of inefficient industry, while working to minimize social programs. However despite this, Fraternidad pushed forward on getting social programs passed, education and health care included and whenever those conservatives willing to side with us for a better Hispania showed up, we got it done. Under the liberal cabinet, we have shown no such resistance to social policy and have in fact take great pride in it. Our unwillingness to go any further stems from the response we got from the implementation of a state backed healthcare system. While it is now a well appreciated system, we received the signal that we ought not to further without major public support for new social reforms. So we haven't, though when the support presents it's self, we will.

In addition, the Ministry of Finance will be publishing another report on the state of income by class in Hispania soon. I will also be continuing the campaign to were the expansion of the Franchise.

((Moderado-Cristiano Election))

"The Hispanian Politics became polarized since the death of Duke Dias, the two parties are the Conservative Unionist and the Liberal Fraternidad, both of them have their vision of a perfect Hispania, every one of them was once in the government and showed their positives and negatives. We are a recent party, we are a new ideology to moderate Hispanian politics, we try our best to not be called Reactionaries or Radicals. We saw the Hispanian governments and learned much from them. We see the pros and cons of the two governments, our wish is to get the best of both Ideas and get a functional Hispania as leading government.

For example, we saw success of the Laizess-Faire politic but we also see danger on it, sure in peace times the industry tends to flourish, but in War times the industry would lack many goods of the market that are instead being invested in the good of the country. That is where the government enters and must temporarily subside factories to avoid bankrupcy of our entire system, and when the crisis is over the government must let the market flow again.

And Señor Faixon and the Fenix decide to attack us after we propouse a regulation to protect workers from dangerous tasks. He say that by progress the problem will magically disappear. Progress may even fix in time, but we have to focus on the NOW ! He says that because he is a big Industrial and don't accept to insert security measures on factories because he would lose money for the sake of the workers, this can't be accepted. Hispania is a big nation with thousand factories and every day the common José risks his life to feed his children and sustain their home, many times they end up losing a finger of even a feet because a machine broke and fell on his feet or hand. A big part of the Hispanians work in factories and all we want is to zeal for their security and life.

Thank you very much and may God bless you all."

I suggest you change the edict to include all factories and not only big ones, it's a good way to make the Fenix shut up.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
Not sitting on the Assembly myself, I'm unable to propose any laws, but I believe that it could be considered time to further restrict child labour in Hispania. Mayhap it could either be considered to restrict the industries they can work in, or to limit the age of work even further to something reasonable, like fourteen.

Another point that I would propose, perhaps, would be to create a similar but different act to the Regulation of the Safety of Labour, instead putting mild, reasonable, restrictions of all industry.

I know it would seem strange to implement these when the tragic events of the coal mine were against our current laws, but I do not doubt that it would be extremely unwise for us to ignore public opinion that will stem from the tragedy.

Humble regards,
Takawira Mwenemutapa

((Btw, did the cabinet eventually reach a conclusion on the auctioning of factories?))

Gentlemen,
Not sitting on the Assembly myself, I'm unable to propose any laws, but I believe that it could be considered time to further restrict child labour in Hispania. Mayhap it could either be considered to restrict the industries they can work in, or to limit the age of work even further to something reasonable, like fourteen.

Another point that I would propose, perhaps, would be to create a similar but different act to the Regulation of the Safety of Labour, instead putting mild, reasonable, restrictions of all industry.

I know it would seem strange to implement these when the tragic events of the coal mine were against our current laws, but I do not doubt that it would be extremely unwise for us to ignore public opinion that will stem from the tragedy.

Humble regards,
Takawira Mwenemutapa

((Btw, did the cabinet eventually reach a conclusion on the auctioning of factories?))

I think we should look at doing away with child labour for school age children, but general safety regulations on industry do not have public support. The last time we passed social policy without public support we were lucky to get away without a backlash. As for the auction, I intend to use most of my liquid assets to fund campaign efforts and I hope we all do. So I think we should delay privatization until 1854 so we have time to rebuild assets. Plus privatization during an election season is bad optics.

The Ministry of Interior will continue with its previous plan, however more focus should be placed on states with numerous factories with lacking workforce.

The Ministry of Navy wishes to expan every fleet by 5 frigates.

(( I'd like to build a fabric factory in Lower Egypt, and upgrade it as soon as possible, considering how much unemployment I caused there :p
I'd also like to build a canned goods factory in Venezia, and canned goods in Puglia, if there's leftover WP, upgrade Machine Parts in Emilia.
Whatever is left of my WP pool will be used to buy VP for the election. ))

Cyprien Luc De Saint-Pierre presented the following law in front of the Parliment
Law of 1851 on Possession and Production of Firearms and Ammunitions

0. This law does not affect the firearms in the possession of the Hispanian Imperial Army or its soldiers and officers, as well as any other government organizations which require firearms in order to fulfil their task of protecting the Nation.

I. About firearms​
1. A firearm is to be classified as a weapon capable of propelling a projectile with the use of gunpowder, able to pierce a steel set of armour.
2. On production and sale of firearms.
A. Production of firearms is to be strictly restricted and prohibited unless a certificate from a proper government facility has been granted.
a. The ban extends to private as well as commercial production of firearms, therefor it shall affect gunsmiths as well as factory owners.
b. Only certified manufacturers are allowed to posses proper equipment required for firearm production.​
B. Each produced firearm shall be given a unique identification code, which the certified manufacturer is required to book, as well as inform the government once the firearm is sold.
a. Upon purchase the firearm is bound to the Hispanian citizen by full name, as well as their accommodation.
b. If the firearm is used in an act of terror, murder of an innocent citizen, or any other crime, the owner of the firearm shall be presumed guilty, unless it can be proven that the firearm has not been in their possession at the time of the crime.​
C. Sale of firearms is only allowed to certified gun manufacturers.
a. The manufacturer can only sell the firearm to a Hispanian Citizen.
b. The Hispanian Citizen cannot hold a criminal record, and must prove so to the manufacturer.​
3. On possession of firearms
A. Possession of firearms is strictly prohibited to anyone but Hispanian Citizens.
a. The Citizen must hold no criminal record.
b. The Citizen must prove they are capable of safely operating a firearm.
* In order to do so the Citizen must stand in front of a government commision.
* The Citizen will only be required to stand in front of the commision once.
* The Commision shall be under direct control of the Ministry of Justice.​
B. Possessed firearms must be stored safely, as to cause no harm.
a. This means the firearm must remain unloaded, unless it is being operated.​
II. About ammunitions
1. Production of ammunition is to be strictly controlled.
2. Private production of ammunition is to be completely banned.
3. Possessed ammunition is to be stored safely, away from source of heat and fire.​

((Moderado-Cristiano Election))

"The Hispanian Politics became polarized since the death of Duke Dias, the two parties are the Conservative Unionist and the Liberal Fraternidad, both of them have their vision of a perfect Hispania, every one of them was once in the government and showed their positives and negatives. We are a recent party, we are a new ideology to moderate Hispanian politics, we try our best to not be called Reactionaries or Radicals. We saw the Hispanian governments and learned much from them. We see the pros and cons of the two governments, our wish is to get the best of both Ideas and get a functional Hispania as leading government.

For example, we saw success of the Laizess-Faire politic but we also see danger on it, sure in peace times the industry tends to flourish, but in War times the industry would lack many goods of the market that are instead being invested in the good of the country. That is where the government enters and must temporarily subside factories to avoid bankrupcy of our entire system, and when the crisis is over the government must let the market flow again.

And Señor Faixon and the Fenix decide to attack us after we propouse a regulation to protect workers from dangerous tasks. He say that by progress the problem will magically disappear. Progress may even fix in time, but we have to focus on the NOW ! He says that because he is a big Industrial and don't accept to insert security measures on factories because he would lose money for the sake of the workers, this can't be accepted. Hispania is a big nation with thousand factories and every day the common José risks his life to feed his children and sustain their home, many times they end up losing a finger of even a feet because a machine broke and fell on his feet or hand. A big part of the Hispanians work in factories and all we want is to zeal for their security and life.

Thank you very much and may God bless you all."

Manuel Medrano gives a speech.

The so called Moderado-Cristiano has nothing but words to show for their "moderation". They continue to oppose the expansion of the franchise and even oppose the modern ization of the Cortz. So far the extent of their legislative proposals have been to repress debate and expression in places existing laws already regulate. For all their talk they have no moderate instance to show, only reactionary substance. I'd hope to be proven otherwise with an embracing of the expansion of the franchise and Corts Modernization, but I doubt that they will endorse it as a party. I hope however that the moderate conservatives that do exist in the Parliament (they exist, I've seen them come out every couple of years) will support it. Interestingly enough however, they seem to be primarily Unionists, not these self described "moderates".

Lastly, progress is not magical it is something that needs to be nourished and protected and over the last 8 years the Liberal cabinet lead by Fraternidad has managed to do that and more. Living standards for the poor have never been better and themost meritorious of them have risen into the strong middle class to strengthen it and some have even kept into land ownership. Liberal Cabinet is the only way to ensure that progress is further nurtured and that is achieved by voting Fraternidad!

Last edited:
Manuel Medrano gives a speech.

The so called Moderado-Cristiano has nothing but words to show for their "moderation". They continue to oppose the expansion of the franchise and even oppose the modern ization of the Cortz. So far the extent of their legislative proposals have been to repress debate and expression in places existing laws already regulate. For all their talk they have no moderate instance to show, only reactionary substance. I'd hope to be proven otherwise with an embracing of the expansion of the franchise and Corts Modernization, but I doubt that they will endorse it as a party. I hope however that the moderate conservatives that do exist in the Parliament (they exist, I've seen them come out every couple of years) will support it. Interestingly enough however, they seem to be primarily Unionists, not these self described "moderates".

Lastly, progress is not magical it is something that needs to be nourished and protected and over the last 8 years the Liberal cabinet lead by Fraternidad has managed to do that and more. Living standards for the poor have never been better and themost meritorious of them have risen into the strong middle class to strengthen it and some have even kept into land ownership. Liberal Cabinet is the only way to ensure that progress is further nurtured and that is achieved by voting Fraternidad!

Señor Medrano, you still seem to confuse Moderates and Liberals. Just because we are a moderate party it doesn't mean we will always support these two specific radical changes, but we supported some liberal policies before like the Colonial Integration project. I, as a member of the Cortz, can't support something that would be surelly used by you, I know you made this proposal so you cloud get the personal gain of sitting in the Cortz. You make proposals and make them universal on the Fraternidad, I noticed that many of your proposals (except the Franchaise expansion) are directed to benefit the Capitalists.

And about you calling us reactionaries, did we propouse to revoke any law ? No ! Instead we are trying to increase the life quality of workers by increasing security regulations, a move that you and the Fenix radically oppose for some reason. Who is the reactionary here ?

We Moderates agree with change but we literally expanded franchaise in less than 8 years ago ! You want to put the Carriage ahead of the Horses, you try to intimidate conservatives to support your proposals and if they reject you call them reactionary, the only real reactionary is you that decide to use intimidation to make conservatives vote for your proposals. We the Moderates will not fall to your intimidation and from now on I will ignore any call of "reactionary" you trow on us.

We will not endorse radical change when we just applied a change you make that we consider too advanced or early for the society."

((Ok that must be the greatest Turn Down For What I have ever did in an AAR, you pushed me to this after calling literally all conservative as reactionary, are you from ANTIFA or SJW IRL ?))
((If possible I want to start a investigation on the Medrano's Coup.))

- First, I wish to state that the Ministry of Justice will stand by the Ministry of Finance to investigate the incident of the poor girl, seeking to bring justice to what had happened.

Second, I wish to state that I will in stand in support of the Safety of Labor if the Moderates accept to investigate not only big factories but all the workplaces in the Empire.

Thirdly, I wish to express privatly mainly to Señor Medrano that I found the stance taken towards the Moderates excesively hostile and borderline radicalized. I have worked with moderate conservatives more than most of you have, and I know that probably not even the most moderate conservative will support a franchise expansion by now, and if we keep pushing them in such an aggresive manner to do what we wany they will most likely en up turning their backs on us. We need to search for compromise, not push them and blame them for not taking what we think its right. I know it may be hard, but if we manage to play a good game with them everyone can win.

- The Ministry of Justice will remain with the same plan.

- The Ministry of Colonial Affairs makes a formal pledge to the Ministry of Interior for:

A) Invest in starting the formation of a formal clergy in the most popolous colonial provinces.

B) Invest in the bureaucracy of the recently integrated colonial states as well as in their clergy

- Moderates,

I address to you not as an ideological opposite, but as an plausible ally. Some of you may know that in the past some called me in an joking manner as "The Great Negotiatior" because of my never ending attempts to find compromise between liberals and conservatives.

Those times seemed long gone as since the government is in liberal hands neither side tried again to find compromise with eachother. But in you I see the potential to maybe found a moderate liberal-conservative alliance to repel both the reactionary and the extremist on both political idiologies.

Cardinal Gregory knows that I'm more than willing to work, and the defunct, may good keep his soul, old Duke Spoleto knew my great desires of managing to bring the moderates from both sides under one banner.

But for that, things have to be done well. So for that, first and foremost I wish to formally ask Cardinal Gregory to ammend his Safety of Labor Act so that not only big industries are submited to investigation, but all the workplaces in the Empire, since you have seen that the Fenix complained about it, and the best way to deal with the Fenix is to shut their mouth.

Lastly, I most say don't agree, but I understand and respect why all of you don't support the franchise expasion nor the modernization of the cortz, and I will make a public statement about it, but if I can ask you one thing is that if we want to work together we need to achieve compromise, so I wish to know what you expect from us as well as I want to know what to expect from all you, so that I can communicate with my fellow members and try to make them understand why should we work with you and accept you in our government. Of course, this is all taking in count that the liberals remain in power after the elections, but I just wished to state all these in advance.

Also, I wish to communicate to Cardinal Gregory that even if I undestand his way of communicating things, I wish to remember him that he is not preaching in a Cathedral, but talking to politicians. I say this not in a manner of insulting his way of addresing things, but just to say that maybe a change in the way he approach in the Assembly may turn more beneficial for you.

((Sorry, I had to say it, but the way @hirahammad writes remembers me of the super dramatic telenovels that most latin-americans love but I hate :p))

I am relived that someone in the Liberals notice our struggle with the radicals. Señor Negociator, I already suggested the Cardinal to change his act to include all factories and I Belive he will agree on this.

About a compromise I already say that these two acts in especial are the ones most of the party disagree for now, as you saw in last vote we agree on a greater integration of colonial subjects, Freedom of Trade, necessary intervention in economy during crisis time, a more equal tax rate of rich and poor stratus. I would like to know other of your ideas to find this common ground.

- First, I wish to state that the Ministry of Justice will stand by the Ministry of Finance to investigate the incident of the poor girl, seeking to bring justice to what had happened.

Second, I wish to state that I will in stand in support of the Safety of Labor if the Moderates accept to investigate not only big factories but all the workplaces in the Empire.

Thirdly, I wish to express privatly mainly to Señor Medrano that I found the stance taken towards the Moderates excesively hostile and borderline radicalized. I have worked with moderate conservatives more than most of you have, and I know that probably not even the most moderate conservative will support a franchise expansion by now, and if we keep pushing them in such an aggresive manner to do what we wany they will most likely en up turning their backs on us. We need to search for compromise, not push them and blame them for not taking what we think its right. I know it may be hard, but if we manage to play a good game with them everyone can win.

- The Ministry of Justice will remain with the same plan.

- The Ministry of Colonial Affairs makes a formal pledge to the Ministry of Interior for:

A) Invest in starting the formation of a formal clergy in the most popolous colonial provinces.

B) Invest in the bureaucracy of the recently integrated colonial states as well as in their clergy

- Moderates,

I address to you not as an ideological opposite, but as an plausible ally. Some of you may know that in the past some called me in an joking manner as "The Great Negotiatior" because of my never ending attempts to find compromise between liberals and conservatives.

Those times seemed long gone as since the government is in liberal hands neither side tried again to find compromise with eachother. But in you I see the potential to maybe found a moderate liberal-conservative alliance to repel both the reactionary and the extremist on both political idiologies.

Cardinal Gregory knows that I'm more than willing to work, and the defunct, may good keep his soul, old Duke Spoleto knew my great desires of managing to bring the moderates from both sides under one banner.

But for that, things have to be done well. So for that, first and foremost I wish to formally ask Cardinal Gregory to ammend his Safety of Labor Act so that not only big industries are submited to investigation, but all the workplaces in the Empire, since you have seen that the Fenix complained about it, and the best way to deal with the Fenix is to shut their mouth.

Lastly, I most say don't agree, but I understand and respect why all of you don't support the franchise expasion nor the modernization of the cortz, and I will make a public statement about it, but if I can ask you one thing is that if we want to work together we need to achieve compromise, so I wish to know what you expect from us as well as I want to know what to expect from all you, so that I can communicate with my fellow members and try to make them understand why should we work with you and accept you in our government. Of course, this is all taking in count that the liberals remain in power after the elections, but I just wished to state all these in advance.

Also, I wish to communicate to Cardinal Gregory that even if I undestand his way of communicating things, I wish to remember him that he is not preaching in a Cathedral, but talking to politicians. I say this not in a manner of insulting his way of addresing things, but just to say that maybe a change in the way he approach in the Assembly may turn more beneficial for you.

((Sorry, I had to say it, but the way @hirahammad writes remembers me of the super dramatic telenovels that most latin-americans love but I hate :p))

Senor Minister d'Garcia,

I thank you for your prudent wisdom in reaching out to the Moderate Coalition. It seems to me that the division of power has been such that, for some Liberals, any disagreement with their reforms must mean tyranny, but I applaud you for seeing that is not the case. While some of my beliefs are in stark contrast to the Fraternidad, beliefs I will continue to espouse, I believe most of my ideas could very easily find compromise with the Left.

Today, I shall amend my bill to cover all workplaces. I had originally believed that such expansive regulation may be too strong a burden on the state and economy. Ironic that my attempt to avoid a Unionist style of action was largely decried by their greatest enemies. Regardless, upon further rumination, I realize the sub-sub-clause is unecessary, and to better compromise, I will remove it.

My main beliefs lie in the area of targeted reform. After the evidence of the last years with Liberal economic policies, I am swayed, and now believe that Free-trade is beneficial. I support a more free market, though not completely laissez-faire, for I believe that, while capitalism often improves Hispania, it often only helps the greedy. We need the influence of the monarchy and the government, perhaps in a limited form, to maintain a humane economy for all citizens.

As for my social beliefs, this is where I expect Liberal resistance. I wholeheartedly believe those who die a heathen will burn in Hell for all eternity. Thus, it is our duty to reduce that number by all means possible. This state, an extension of His Majesty, must care for not just the bodies, but the souls of her citizens. Now, killing heathens would be wrong; dead men do not convert. But allowing them more and more rights, while simultaneously weakening the Church of Jesus Christ and attempting to remove the clergy from governance, that too is wrong.

In opposition to mainly the Phoenix alone, I believe Hispania requires a powerful military, but after the removal of the Phoenix Villahermosa from the Ministry of War, this view is satisfied. Thus, you see that while I hold beliefs against the Fraternidad, I hold many the same, and therefore I believe those of my ilk would be valuable allies to a ruling party.

Perhaps I shall change my rhetoric, and instead appeal to the rationality of the Parliament. Still, man is not ruled by reason alone, and if I can convince the heart what the mind ought to know is true, all the better for it. Once again, I thank thee for your wisdom and openness.

Sincerely,
His Most Reverend Eminence, Dominum Gregory Sanctae Ecclesiae Romanae Cardinalem Diego.
((But that writing that way is so fun. :p New dream job=writing telenovels. :D ))

The Cardinal Diego amends his bill in response to reflection on suggestions from Fraternidad members.
Regulation of the Safety of Labor​

Clause I. A Committee for the Regulation of the Safety of Labor is to be formed under the Ministry of the Interior, the head appointed by the Minister of the Interior.
Subclause I. This Committee meets biennially to direct local governments to inspect the workplaces of all industries c̶o̶n̶s̶t̶i̶t̶u̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶v̶e̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶a̶l̶e̶.̶
Subclause II. The inspectors shall be provided with guidelines with which to judge the safety of workplaces. If the safety is found unsatisfactory, the inspector is to notify the local government, which is to enforce the inspectors' requirements at the risk of closure.

Clause II. Guidelines, which shall be specified for individual industries, aim at lowering the risk of fatalities at workplaces, and create environments where properly-skilled workers are at little to no risk of death.

((Minimal Safety Regulations))

((Wait, what exactly is the difference of these acts :confused: ? And weren't you expelled from the party ? Your assemblymen can't create votes. Like the Cesare's.))

((That doesn't mean he can't propose laws, though. The first law makes it so that franchise expansion needs only a simple majority to pass, while the second law deals with such a franchise expansion.))

((Public - campaign speech))

Her name was Isabella Fernandez. She was born in 1838 to Juan Fernandez and his wife, both recent immigrants to Calabar. They had moved there in the hopes of making a new life for themselves and their daughter. They didn’t bring much with them. Juan worked as a farmer, as his father and grandfather had done in Hispania. He brought home a modest income, enough to feed his wife and daughter and send Isabella off to school. In 1847, a famine struck Calabar, and the harvest that year was not enough to support Juan’s family. He reluctantly sent Isabella off to work in the coal mines. For the next three years, she would spend almost all of her day in the mines, carrying tubs of coal on her back as she crawled through the mine shafts. But the hard labor soon took its toll on her. In 1850, her feet made one fatal mistake. She slipped and fell down a vertical shaft, down countless fathoms. Her neck snapped and her small body was crushed under the heavy tub she still carried. It was a quick death. She was only twelve.

Isabella’s death was a senseless tragedy. A young girl had fallen to her death in a coal mine. No parent wants to see their child at such a young age. Juan and his wife were distraught over the death of their daughter. I visited them as soon as I could after the tragedy, trying to console them for their loss. But they told me that not only was this tragedy senseless, it was also preventable.

Consider the Child Labor Regulation Act that I proposed and was passed back in 1836. It had provisions that limited the number of hours children under eighteen could work, provided their parents provided written consent. It also mandated that children not be “assigned to highly dangerous tasks” and that the definition of a dangerous task was to be decided by a “safety inspector upon inspection.” Finally, it mandated that children may not be employed if they were “already enrolled in a school.” Let me describe the details of the incident and the factors that caused it. Isabella began working in the mines at age nine; that is perfectly legal under the stipulations of this act. From age nine to eleven she worked for an average of eight hours a day, and after turning eleven she worked on average twelve hours a day. That too is legal. The parents also provided written consent, which is the law. There is nothing wrong with the first clause in total, then. But let’s look at the second clause, the one everybody is talking about. It states that children may not be assigned to highly dangerous tasks and that a safety inspector will determine if a task is highly dangerous or not. Upon further investigation, we found that the safety inspector had financial ties to the owner of the coal mine; he was his brother. In addition to this family tie, the inspector was also paid large sums of money to loosen the definition of a “highly dangerous task” so that more children could be put to work; this is clearly explained in a series of letters that the inspector and mine owner shared with each other, copies of which I would be glad to provide each of you upon request. Therefore, the second clause has been indirectly violated. The third clause also mandates that children may not be employed if they are already enrolled in school. School records show that Isabella was in fact enrolled in a local school up to the age of nine, when she was abruptly withdrawn to work in the mines. This clearly violates clause three of the act. I can announce that the safety inspector and the mine owner have both been arrested and charged with violation of the Child Labor Regulation Act and involuntary manslaughter of a child.

In the aftermath of this tragedy, I wish to draw attention to the failings of the CLRA in preventing such a tragedy. It is clear that this tragedy could have been prevented. In addition, there are many more children throughout Hispania in a situation just like Isabella’s, and if nothing is done, there is a high chance that at least one of them will end up like Isabella did. Therefore, in the next parliamentary session I shall invite Isabella's parents to speak before the Parliament and watch as I present the following amendment to the CLRA.

((Public - Parliament))
Isabella’s Law

Recognizing that the death of Isabella Fernandez is a senseless and preventable tragedy, the Hispanian Government promulgates the following amendments to the Child Labor Regulation Act of 1836. In cases where a newer clause conflicts with an older clause, the older clause shall be overridden.

4. Safety inspectors shall be chosen in such a way as to prevent any ties, whether familial or financial, to the workplace(s) they are inspecting. They shall be regularly reviewed to ensure that they can reliably determine if a workplace is highly dangerous or not, and if they cannot, they shall be retrained.

5. Children under the age of fourteen may not work. Children over the age of fourteen may work a maximum of eight hours per day. Employers shall be required to provide at least one one-hour break for every four hours of work.

6. Should a parent withdraw a child from school to put them to work, this shall count as a waiving of the written consent, and both the parent(s) and the workplace owner will be considered as having committed a crime. Safety inspectors will regularly inspect workplaces and check school records to enforce this clause.

((Safety regulations to the next level, only if the Regulation of the Safety of Labor Act does not pass. It should not conflict with the Regulation of the Safety of Labor Act if both pass, since this law only deals with child labor.))

I hope my proposal for further restriction of child labor is suitable. It would go a long way in preventing another tragedy like what happened in Calabar.

Now, on to other matters. I agree with Senor D’Garcia in that we should not try to antagonize the Moderates. If they are moderate as they claim to be, we should work with them and see what they have to offer. However, I must say to Senor D’Garcia, with all due respect, that your characterizing of Senor Medrano’s speech as “excessively hostile and borderline radicalized” does not help us much. If we start blaming each other and using such words, that could threaten the stability of our liberal coalition and jeopardize our reelection prospects. We must be united with each other, and we must also show the conservatives that we are willing to work with them. Political polarization will just get nothing done.

Speaking of elections, I wish to announce that due to my advanced age, I will not seek, and will not accept, the Fraternidad’s nomination for prime minister. My son will prepare to take on all of my duties and responsibilities as Cortz representative and de facto Reconquista chairman. I will serve out the rest of this term and leave office after elections; I might stay in the Cortz a little bit longer. It would be wise for us to decide on a suitable nominee as soon as possible so that our campaign is ready to go.

~Leon

((Wait, then why you guys vetoed when Cesare's Assemblymen tried to make a law o_O ?))
((Cesare was explicitly banned from Parliament from being a terrorist and doing terrorist stuff. As far as I know Villahermosa was expelled from the party, and Mach made another character who sits in the Assembly as an independent.))