• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have seen many people said about the potential of this game, but rarely seen concrete suggestions nor mods about these potentials.

I have seen many people said about the potential of this game, but rarely seen concrete suggestions nor mods about these potentials.
mainly because a lot of the things that could improve this game, aside from moar events (which requires knowledge of the cultural background to pull out right), just aren't moddable. MOTE-style tactics for one. CK2-styled flexibility for another. right now it's half-wargame half-feudal simulator, but it's kind of hollow on both aspects. MOTE has at least the war-game side done mostly well, and CK2's feudal mechanics are well-polished, while Sengoku just feels like the experimental prototype of the two - it can be as good as both, but the lack of mechanics and flavour just makes it lose all form of replayability once you've done a playthrough or two.
expansions would definitely extend the shelf-life of this game if done right, but the problem with this is that you need enough momentum for the base game to warrant financing the expansion in the first place.
(and the only hope to do that is for a super-mod of sorts that completely rejuvenates it - and you're halfway there already! ganbatte! :rofl: )

Last edited:
mainly because a lot of the things that could improve this game, aside from moar events (which requires knowledge of the cultural background to pull out right), just aren't moddable. MOTE-style tactics for one. CK2-styled flexibility for another.

I think moddability isn't the problem. We can change many fields in this game, and try to improve them in the limitation of capability. I don't think people have challenged enough to proof the limitation of the moddability of this game, if we remember what Magna Mundi or MEIOU did in the early stage of EU3.

Also, the "lack of mechanics and flavour" is an abstruct critic. I believe the developers studied Japanese history well for this game, but they aren't expert of the history, but game designer and programmer. If player have no idea what is important and could be improved with less effort, the developers might not know that too.

Thanks for the kind comment, BTW. :)

Last edited:
I think moddability isn't the problem. We can change many fields in this game, and try to improve them in the limitation of capability. I don't think people have challenged enough to proof the limitation of the moddability of this game, if we remember what Magna Mundi or MEIOU did in the early stage of EU3.

Also, the "lack of mechanics and flavour" is an abstruct critic. I believe the developers studied Japanese history well for this game, but they aren't expert of the history, but game designer and programmer. If player have no idea what is important and could be improved with less effort, the developers might not know that too.

Thanks for the kind comment, BTW. :)

The game is a bit shallow, and lacks the flavour of, say, CK2, which is a shame as it is evident that the devs did /a lot/ of work on the period and have basically gotten the hard bits out of the way.

The game is a bit shallow, and lacks the flavour of, say, CK2,

On which point do you feel "shallow and lacks the flavour of CK2"?

on a purely empirical/numerical basis, there are significantly less events for Sengoku for one. For example, none of the little events like your mayor wanting to hunt on your bishop's land, or your chaplain accusing someone of heresy, or those little things like childhood-personality events. These events add up and help break the monotony of a single playthrough in CK2, and definitely help give you the feeling of being the character. In Sengoku, it's like playing a feudal-chess hybrid: the feudal mechanics are there and they work, but they feel surgical and impersonal and just another tool to achieve a very specific goal (ie. Nippon-conquest, as compared to CK2 - wherein simply interacting with the rest of the map is fun enough that conquering the map is quite far from the intended experience).
It's essentially like comparing sitting down for a cup of tea with another person and ordering one from the drive-through (... do they serve tea on take-outs? :laugh:) - the first is very personal and intimate, while the second is essentially utilitarian. Both are essentially a caffeine drink that serve the purpose of stimulation, but obviously the former wins out on the matter of experience by a wide margin.
I have no doubt the developers have studied their background material well enough - the fundamentals of the game are quite reflective of this. It's just that the little details that could flesh out the game a lot more are quite honestly lacking. It's like comparing a 1,000-polygon 3d mesh and a 1,000,000-polygon 3d mesh of an exact same object: the general shape and appearance are the same, but the details in the latter help make it far better visually. That's not to say the devs weren't or couldn't do it - it's just that they couldn't afford to further work on this game than they have (they're a business after all and have only so much resources to spend), so they couldn't exactly splurge resources on perfecting the game at the start, and now it's staying at it was (well, they seemed to have changed policies starting with CK2 anyway...)

As said above, far less events, but also, far less to do. There just isn't 'enough', and thus it is hard to get truly immersed, when all that is (ever) happening is your many children asking for titles.

I think you guys should cut your losses and commit sepuku rather than never get an expansion for this game. You seem to love it so much.

There's always that guy...

What this game needs, to be revived, are people making Lets Play videos and streams, and getting decent views. Generating interest in the game would have much more impact than requests here.

Would do one, but no moniez for full version. Played a demo for a bit, but sadly it looks like game is based on simple scheme. Conquer kuni(s) - give dem out to some people - gather more reputation this way - conquer more kunis - give dem around - etc. etc. That's how it felt to me at least.

But maybe Multiplayer experience is different. Would like to try but :(

A little off topic, but how is it compared to the other games? I've been looking into it.

Similar to CK2 but with a focus on war, although a little less 'stuff' overall.

Quite comparable to March of the Eagles.

I think there is a demo.

A little off topic, but how is it compared to the other games? I've been looking into it.

It is a shoddy CK 2 spin off, that was released to jump on the Total War:Shogun 2 bandwagon back then. Don`t buy it. Not worth any money. Buy CK2 instead. Or TW:S2, if you desperately want to play in Japan.

It is a shoddy CK 2 spin off, that was released to jump on the Total War:Shogun 2 bandwagon back then. Don`t buy it. Not worth any money. Buy CK2 instead. Or TW:S2, if you desperately want to play in Japan.

Spin-off? They were co-released in the hope of side-by-side development, but that idea failed, due to low sales.

Bandwagon indeed.

It can be very fun, and is worth getting if you like the Feudal Japan, if not, get Crusader Kings 2. But I must reiterate: this game is good, and was not just a money grab.

As I've stated before, I find Sengoku much superior to CK2, especially with Chatnoir's mods. But really, like Morgothic says, how much you like either game will depend largely on what area of history you're interested in. It's no surprise that more time and effort was put into developing CK2 since Paradox's player base is largely European and North American (which means many more players interested in the history of Europe than the history of Japan, and hence more sales). In Japan, very little buzz about CK2 but Sengoku has a following (and would likely have a lot more if more Japanese game players knew about it).

As I've stated before, I find Sengoku much superior to CK2, especially with Chatnoir's mods. But really, like Morgothic says, how much you like either game will depend largely on what area of history you're interested in. It's no surprise that more time and effort was put into developing CK2 since Paradox's player base is largely European and North American (which means many more players interested in the history of Europe than the history of Japan, and hence more sales). In Japan, very little buzz about CK2 but Sengoku has a following (and would likely have a lot more if more Japanese game players knew about it).

If a Japanese fanbase could become more prominent... something might be on the cards.

It is a shoddy CK 2 spin off, that was released to jump on the Total War:Shogun 2 bandwagon back then.

Bandwagon indeed.

Not true. Plans for Sengoku was made long before TW:S2 was announced. The time between early design ideas for a game and the release is years - not a few months.

Good to see that you are still around. And that you're still using the crappy-looking avatar I made for you :D

Not true. Plans for Sengoku was made long before TW:S2 was announced. The time between early design ideas for a game and the release is years - not a few months.

I was actually supporting that it was not a bandwagon, and that it would be unlikely for Paradox to choose such a period (unpopular in the West) for a game is solely for quick profits (that they did not receive anyway).

But there is a renegade coder in this thread! Perhaps there is hope yet.

Good to see that you are still around. And that you're still using the crappy-looking avatar I made for you :D

Here every day! And still playing the game, although I might have to put it aside for a short while to see the improvements made to Japan when the new EU is released.

And the avatar is permanent, at least until an 'official' Chiba is put up for Sengoku 2 ;)