• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hearts of Iron is a "crown jewel" series for Paradox. CK, EU, Vicky and HoI are examples. Also, V2 had 2 expansions within 3 years of release. Sengoku is pretty much the isolated child, along with EU: Rome.

Hearts of Iron is a "crown jewel" series for Paradox. CK, EU, Vicky and HoI are examples. Also, V2 had 2 expansions within 3 years of release. Sengoku is pretty much the isolated child, along with EU: Rome.

It runs on the CKII engine and has a lot of potential though...

Grr.

It runs on the CKII engine and has a lot of potential though...

Grr.
Sengoku is actually a game with a whole lot of potential. Part of the problem though is that it just flops in terms of flavour and dynamicity. Compare it to CK2 itself, which has thousands of events (a large ratio of which are flavour events), and you can easily see why Sengoku gets overshadowed.
Still, it's a shame, because Sengoku has in fact indeed a lot of potential. The map is beautiful, the general setting (ie. the period itself) is rife with stories, and the feudal mechanics itself is quite solid. What it could use a lot of polishing on is combat (since this is pretty much a wargame after all - porting the MotE system or something close is quite a jump in terms of gameplay), flavour (after playing it for a couple of weeks in the past, my main complaint with the game is that things get stale too quickly), and general replayability (right now, almost all daimyo/clan/leaders/whatever feel and play alike, and once you've done a playthrough or two there's little incentive to play somewhere else - in essence, it's too formulaic [compare that with CK2, wherein the large load of events that can put a spanner in the works make each playthrough a unique story] and linear [it's essentially a snowball contest] ).
It would be nice if they would earn enough funds from CK2/EU4 that they could invest enough money to "risk it" and try improving Sengoku to the game it deserves. Of course, economically speaking that's just a farshot.

Sengoku is actually a game with a whole lot of potential. Part of the problem though is that it just flops in terms of flavour and dynamicity. Compare it to CK2 itself, which has thousands of events (a large ratio of which are flavour events), and you can easily see why Sengoku gets overshadowed.
Still, it's a shame, because Sengoku has in fact indeed a lot of potential. The map is beautiful, the general setting (ie. the period itself) is rife with stories, and the feudal mechanics itself is quite solid. What it could use a lot of polishing on is combat (since this is pretty much a wargame after all - porting the MotE system or something close is quite a jump in terms of gameplay), flavour (after playing it for a couple of weeks in the past, my main complaint with the game is that things get stale too quickly), and general replayability (right now, almost all daimyo/clan/leaders/whatever feel and play alike, and once you've done a playthrough or two there's little incentive to play somewhere else - in essence, it's too formulaic [compare that with CK2, wherein the large load of events that can put a spanner in the works make each playthrough a unique story] and linear [it's essentially a snowball contest] ).
It would be nice if they would earn enough funds from CK2/EU4 that they could invest enough money to "risk it" and try improving Sengoku to the game it deserves. Of course, economically speaking that's just a farshot.

Yep, but I can just imagine them releasing an expansion to bring this game back from the brink...

I was just watching some of the highlights from the recent Europa Universalis IV livestream and they were talking a bit about Japan. It gets something of a unique treatment in EUIV and the guys mentioned that some of the research from the development of Sengoku went into that game as well.

Anyway, I suddenly realized (I'm sure I'm not the first) that theoretically we'll be able to convert our Sengoku saves into EUIV saves (or even EUIII saves) and continue our stories there. Suddenly, I'm even more excited for the release of EUIV than ever before.

I too would love to see some more official content for Sengoku but recognize that it's probably not economically worthwhile for Paradox to create any. I am pleased, though, that I'll get to play out more of the story I started in Sengoku, even if it is in another game completely.

Hmm... what really gets me is that the lion share of work on the game (research, names, map of kori) has already been done and it only really needs to be done once anyway. All that, realistically, would need to be done is port this content to another engine. We would need to add some decision trees and flesh the content out a bit maybe but the bones of the game are there and they don't need to change, surely...

Hmm... what really gets me is that the lion share of work on the game (research, names, map of kori) has already been done and it only really needs to be done once anyway. All that, realistically, would need to be done is port this content to another engine. We would need to add some decision trees and flesh the content out a bit maybe but the bones of the game are there and they don't need to change, surely...

It doesn't even need a new engine, as it runs on CKII's engine and that game is great. The bones are all there, all we need now is some flesh to coat them with (maybe an expansion or massive patch) and it would be fantastic. The hard work, as you say, has already been done.

I think it's fair to say the game is done, and no DLC will be released. It still remains one of my favourite strategy games of all-time though.

Don't give up hope!

At the very least, the four or five of us who still check this forum could post enough to create the illusion of economic viability for an expansion.

I mean, if an expansion is priced at 20 euros, and we all buy it, that's 100 euros of revenue right there. We won't analyse the cost of production in order to arrive at the potential profits (or loss), but if they could keep these costs below 100 euros --BAM! -- profit.

How much could a really good expansion actually cost to produce, anyway?

At the very least, the four or five of us who still check this forum could post enough to create the illusion of economic viability for an expansion.

I mean, if an expansion is priced at 20 euros, and we all buy it, that's 100 euros of revenue right there. We won't analyse the cost of production in order to arrive at the potential profits (or loss), but if they could keep these costs below 100 euros --BAM! -- profit.

How much could a really good expansion actually cost to produce, anyway?

Remember, most people who own March of the Eagles also own Sengoku. There is a market.

I've been playing Paradox games since the first Hearts of Iron, and somehow I missed Sengoku when it came out. I picked it up on Steam a couple of weeks ago and I gotta say I really like it. I think Paradox did a great job on the feudal Japan setting. I don't have high hopes that they will make an expansion for it, but I would definitely buy one if they did. I'd like to see more of these little niche type games. I'd really like to see them make a Chinese one in either the Warring States or Three Kingdoms period. That would be right up my alley. I like their epic titles, like EU, HOI and so forth, but every once in a while, it's nice to play a more focused and scaled down strategy game.

I've been playing Paradox games since the first Hearts of Iron, and somehow I missed Sengoku when it came out. I picked it up on Steam a couple of weeks ago and I gotta say I really like it. I think Paradox did a great job on the feudal Japan setting. I don't have high hopes that they will make an expansion for it, but I would definitely buy one if they did. I'd like to see more of these little niche type games. I'd really like to see them make a Chinese one in either the Warring States or Three Kingdoms period. That would be right up my alley. I like their epic titles, like EU, HOI and so forth, but every once in a while, it's nice to play a more focused and scaled down strategy game.

Yeah. After The Old Gods they should be swimming in money. Just put £100 to this.

Please.

Games with an Asian setting just don't sell very well in the western market, so it's very unlikely that another asia-based game from PI will happen any time soon.

Games with an Asian setting just don't sell very well in the western market, so it's very unlikely that another asia-based game from PI will happen any time soon.

Bar Shogun 2. That game sold like wildfire.

Bar Shogun 2. That game sold like wildfire.
well, it WAS the successor to Shogun 1 TW, which pretty much defined that specific genre of gameplay :laugh:

well, it WAS the successor to Shogun 1 TW, which pretty much defined that specific genre of gameplay :laugh:

Well, most people who bought it had never played nor heard of the first Shogun game.

Reactions: