• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(( Well, I did get permission back here, but Eupraxia should probably have a say. ))

Theophylaktos smoothed his hair and beard, then approached the lady. "Lady Eupraxia. Long have I admired you, for your beauty, for your kindness, for your charity. Would you make me a happy man and marry me?"

"Thank you for the kind words, Mayor. May you give me some time to think on your generous offer?"

As skellarios and mayor of Vostiza, Theophylaktos was one of the highest ranking men in the theme of Achaia and he was not bad too look at. However, Eupraxia preferred not to leave the court if she did not have to. There was much more for a lady to do in Corinth than in Vostiza. She would wait for other offers.

((Now then, if anyone has anything more to say, speak now or hold your peace until after the first update.))

((Exactly right. :) I won't be able to play tonight, but I will tomorrow night, around 11 PM or so (-6 GMT). ))

Year 1 of the rule of Strategos Christophoros of Achaia

((Stylistically, updates will be written for the present in the guise of a royal [ducal?] chronicler recording the events of the realm. Each major event will have a date. Gameplay notes will be made in OOC or at the end of the update, as needed.))

1 January 769: The Basileus of the Byzantine Empire has proclaimed a Holy War against the infidels in Mesopotamia. May God bring swift death to the enemies of His just warriors! ((I'm actually not sure when the war started, but I believe it existed at game start.))

dIcchm.jpg

His Grace has proclaimed 769 the Year of the Hunt. It is said that the local wildlife already tremble and beg for mercy!

CKgxWw.jpg

6 January 769: Aniketos, Heir to the Throne and Regent of the Duchy, has wed the lovely Princess Gerberga of Lombardy. ((FYI: No gifts were collected, there was no option to do so.))

12 January 769: The Strategos has wed Alpaide, a Frankish noblewoman. The people of Achaia have richly lavished the wedding with gifts, as well they should! We all know that His Grace will repay our kindness a thousand fold. Long may he reign!

23 January 769: The lords of Achaia have wisely agreed that the Strategos should hold more sway within his borders. Even a lowly peasant like myself sees the genius of such a decision, as tyranny is utterly foreign to the ears of His Grace.

13 March 769: The Honorable Mayor of Vostitza has delivered a bounty to His Grace and the treasuries of Achaia, totalling 17 solidi and 88 folli. Surely, His Grace will put this money to good use!

3 May 769: A day of national mourning, as the mother of Her Grace, Countess Ermentrude of Saintois, has gone to her heavenly reward.

11 August 769: God has blessed Her Grace, as she is with child. Glory to God and Their Graces!

14 November 769: Prototrator of the Duchy Kallistos has reported a banner year in good Christians taking up arms to fight against His Grace's enemies and the enemies of God. Three cheers for the Prototrator!

It has been a glorious year for the Strategos of Achaia and his people. The treasury is now 129 solidi, the people love the family, and a new child on the way means that 770 shall be even more glorious!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have a new royal baby up for grabs! In consultation with the ruler, the new player can even name the little tyke. The highest ranking player is @KF25, with 130 points. Although that is not technically enough to claim a Prince (or Princess), he has the most points, so he is therefore eligible. After him, we have several individuals with 125 points.

Any player without a current character may put in a claim. Order goes first by points, then by time of posting. Good luck to all!

@alscon has received 10 points for becoming Regent.

@alxeu is free to make his plans for 770 at his discretion, with the required input from his council, of course.

Your grace, there are improvements I could have made to your castle's defenses while still leaving more than fifty solidi in the treasury. Should I order the workmen to begin?

-Theophylaktos, Mayor of Vostitza and Steward of Achaia

We have a new royal baby up for grabs! In consultation with the ruler, the new player can even name the little tyke. The highest ranking player is @KF25, with 130 points. Although that is not technically enough to claim a Prince (or Princess), he has the most points, so he is therefore eligible. After him, we have several individuals with 125 points.

((Would it be possible to wait until after the birth before deciding? If the child is a female, I wouldn't necessarily want to wait sixteen years only to be married off somewhere.))

((Would it be possible to wait until after the birth before deciding? If the child is a female, I wouldn't necessarily want to wait sixteen years only to be married off somewhere.))

((You can choose to forestall your claim, but there's always a chance somebody might get more points than you in the interim if you wait to press your claim. It's entirely up to you.))

((You can choose to forestall your claim, but there's always a chance somebody might get more points than you in the interim if you wait to press your claim. It's entirely up to you.))

((Alright, I suppose I'll take it. Unless @alxeu or whoever claims Alpaïde (if somebody does) has a name in mind, I'll keep whatever's generated by the game.

Would one be able to switch characters if theirs leaves the court?))

((Alright, I suppose I'll take it. Unless @alxeu or whoever claims Alpaïde (if somebody does) has a name in mind, I'll keep whatever's generated by the game.

Would one be able to switch characters if theirs leaves the court?))

((That's a good question. I'm thinking no for the moment, simply because they could always come back to the court, but I'm willing to listen to arguments. I don't want a lot of hot-swapping purely for the sake of my sanity. :) ))

((That's a good question. I'm thinking no for the moment, simply because they could always come back to the court, but I'm willing to listen to arguments. I don't want a lot of hot-swapping purely for the sake of my sanity. :) ))
((In that case, being a female child of the Duke sounds like quite the inconvenience. I'm going to have to hope that the RNG pulls out a male.))

I have been thinking of names for my child, and have thought of a few names that sound good.

Alexandros, after the legendary conqueror of the world...

Ioannes, a rather common name, but perhaps that may be a boon under an Emperor whose favor may shift at any moment...

and if a girl, she shall be named Zoe, or Anna.

As for the next year, I am rather pleased with the positions of my Councillors, and I support the construction plans my Steward has given me. I shall order built any affordable improvements onto my castle. ((I believe this to be fortifications.))

Otherwise, the course shall be kept, barring any pertinent requests from my vassals.

~ Strategos Christophoros of Achaia

((In that case, being a female child of the Duke sounds like quite the inconvenience. I'm going to have to hope that the RNG pulls out a male.))

((Very well. I'll add your claim to the list! :) ))

Aniketos thinks about the future. Nothing of interest is happening now, in any case he can't rely on his father alone to give him what he wants. He's gone through the possible actions to take. What must be done, what are the available moves. He frequents people not unlike the Mystikos to plan his glory. Now he's got some ideas...

Father, I understand that it is good to spend your reign as wise administrator and loyal servant of the Basileus. But our dynasty is destined for greatness, and we cannot achieve that greatness just by turning Corinth into a second Constantinople.

We must ask ourselves if these men who came out of nowhere are suitable counts - hasn't one of them proven incapable yet? I am sure there are many reasons. They do not have our history, our relation with the Basileia. Wouldn't that land be better in our hands?

Or we might gain glory in a campaign against the Bulgars! I hear that the pagan scum is failing miserably in subduing other worthless barbarians. And haven't we ancestral lands in the north of Thrace? The Basileus shall certainly be grateful if we further repel them further away from Constantinople - and we would have a base for conquests for the glory of God!

Speaking of which, I am tiring of my wife's Catholic ways. Make her see the light, as my methods don't work. The authority of a Strategos, perhaps paired with some minor task like giving out alms that she loves so much should be enough. And do you want a Catholic woman to bear your third child?

This world is harsh, and just by waiting, our name will perish in the dust of history.

((Are Strategitissa Alpaide and Princess Gerberga playable characters now?))

((I don't see why not, if somebody without a character wants to make a claim, although they risk their characters remarrying later on and thus leaving. In all honesty, in terms of getting points, female characters aren't so hot.))

Aniketos thinks about the future. Nothing of interest is happening now, in any case he can't rely on his father alone to give him what he wants. He's gone through the possible actions to take. What must be done, what are the available moves. He frequents people not unlike the Mystikos to plan his glory. Now he's got some ideas...

Father, I understand that it is good to spend your reign as wise administrator and loyal servant of the Basileus. But our dynasty is destined for greatness, and we cannot achieve that greatness just by turning Corinth into a second Constantinople.

We must ask ourselves if these men who came out of nowhere are suitable counts - hasn't one of them proven incapable yet? I am sure there are many reasons. They do not have our history, our relation with the Basileia. Wouldn't that land be better in our hands?

Or we might gain glory in a campaign against the Bulgars! I hear that the pagan scum is failing miserably in subduing other worthless barbarians. And haven't we ancestral lands in the north of Thrace? The Basileus shall certainly be grateful if we further repel them further away from Constantinople - and we would have a base for conquests for the glory of God!

Speaking of which, I am tiring of my wife's Catholic ways. Make her see the light, as my methods don't work. The authority of a Strategos, perhaps paired with some minor task like giving out alms that she loves so much should be enough. And do you want a Catholic woman to bear your third child?

This world is harsh, and just by waiting, our name will perish in the dust of history.

As to my vassals, the only one to which I have any claim on is the one holding Achaia itself. I'm further along in my years, though, and I'd rather not sour my relations with my vassals to weaken your position after I die.

To the second, I would be glad to wage war against the Bulgars! War will be pursued, if possible, and preferably with the aid of a Lombardian alliance, if possible. Furthermore, it shall only be pursued if the numbers favor us, factoring in our allies, if any are applicable.

To the third, I must agree as well. Send out messengers to my wife and my son's wife. Have them convert. If they need persuasion, do whatever necessary to persuade them.

~Strategos Christophoros