• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And Great Dônmark seems to have fractured...But it is awfully small size, that mupdate, for its ..coverage..perhaps some smaller slices of the world, enlarged somewhat, and explained by the involved? pretty please?
.... fractured? How so? I didn't goble all of my vassals in last session, but why would I have to?

So, OOC AAR today. A reasonably good session for Ethiopia, which ate Swahili and Mutapa (well, I will only finish eating Mutapa when the AI, which picked up a defected animist province on the other side of the continent and is therefore unannexable and stubborn, caves and agrees to cede its capital) and did some colonizing and some successful diplomacy. I got several border disputes which offer cores on neighboring lands; I declined one with Tripoli, because I don't intend to attack them, but another in the Mutapa area was a welcome core in the province that will become my National Focus when I can next move it, Barwe. Unfortunately, probably as an unintentional result of the pregame edits Ethiopia received, the national focus counted as moved in 1399 even though I didn't, and so has been stuck in my capital so far and unavailable to help with converting or colonizing. I will get to move it pretty much first thing next session, though.

Sadly the eating of Swahili and Mutapa, while it added territory and income to Ethiopia, also came with major cost requirements as all the new lands needed to be forted up. The forting is done now but was not kind to my treasury. Even with National Bank and ADM 9-enabled wartaxing during all the wars of pagan-eating, inflation has been mildly growing; we also lack access to all the excellent Masters of Mint floating around the Latin and Muslim tech groups' advisor pools, and have to grow our own at home. Forts cost about a thousand ducats last session, and I will welcome the opportunity not to have to spend that money any more.

Eating those two in several smaller bites rather than huge gulps did, however, have the benefit that I was able to avoid tons of rebels running around capturing vast swathes of unforted land and causing havok and nationalism lasting till doomsday.

The Ethiopian military has grown significantly and will continue to do so, as it is still only about average compared to the ROTW and on the small side by European standards. Another unfortunate strain on the small Ethiopian census tax, but there's no helping that; our provinces have nationalism and are far apart in travel times, so multiple armies are needed to police them, and then, of course, there is the need to guard against attacks which can come anywhere along Ethiopia's long coast. All in all a large army is needed. Our manpower has expanded somewhat as well, and we're reasonably well off in that area, well ahead of the ROTW average though behind all but Tripoli in Europe. However, further growth will be limited to what I can get from buildings for a while, as the South African coastal provinces that I am currently colonizing have 0 base MP.

In foreign affairs, Ethiopia's western neighbor and ally, the Republic of the Kongo, has also done a decent job expanding, which is good news for us. Other friends, the Romans and the Spanish, also seem to have done well, and sit firmly in the world's leading ranks for income and manpower. Ethiopia and Tripoli also reached an agreement on borders in the Sudan area, that should be able to avoid any conflict between us. That's a major benefit to us both, I think; a house divided cannot stand, and all, and the African lands start too poor to allow us to waste our limited resources with infighting. We'll need every magistrate we can get to turn this crap into gold, and if we're destroying each others' work the winner will just be left with crap.

Ethiopia has a while to wait before cores on its recent gains start coming in, and until then the census tax will remain lower than I would like. I envy Brunei its fortuitous inheritances and the Europeans their high-basetax cores. However, minting is making thing work for now, and the inflation gain isn't unmanageable. Our lands have high attrition for invaders and we have the income to support a fairly large army. Overall I can't complain too much about Ethiopia's situation.

1399-1423
As Noted Down By Remarkably Objective Andalusian Historiographers, Inspired As They Are By Divine Savegames

So, I have been doing some data-crunching, and I consider it my responsibility to keep you all abreast of what has been happening in our little alternate universe. I am going to show you the state of the world in pictures. So, without further ado, the graphics:

Base Tax
basetax.png

This one is pretty straightforward, and unlikely to change throughout our game. This map shows the relative base tax values of all habitable provinces. Red is poor, green is rich. I include this since our game's base tax values differ from vanilla; our converter took Crusader Kings base tax into account. Al-Andalus is in a pretty decent position: no excessive wealth, but very little poverty either.

Average Buildings per Province
averagebuildings.png

Arguably, the level of development of one's country is best described by the amount of buildings one has in each province. (Again, greener is more buildings per province, red is less.) Bigger countries tend to do worse here; they have the same amount of magistrates with which to build, but more provinces to build in. Al-Andalus hopes for a core on Savoy (in Aragon province) so it may 'donate' its buildings to the greater good of Andalusian society.

Religion
religion.png

In our world, player-controlled natives have been changed to not-pagan. There are Shintoists (bright red) in America and Hindus (teal) in Africa. Also apparent: the predominance of Shi'a Islam in Europe, the absence of Orthodox Christianity in Greece and the spread of same due to Ethiopian conquests.

Average Income Per Province
averageincome.png

Not so straightforward, this map shows the monthly income divided by the number of provinces. Due to OPMs making the big boys all red, only player nations are shown here, so we may consider their differences. Consider away; also notice that Al-Andalus, Croatia and Brunei do well in spite of being large. Trading ftw.

This is what income looks like in absolute terms:
income.png

Hello Bavaria.

Average Tech Level
averagetech.png

Last but not least, the measure of technological advancement. It is interesting to notice that some of the laggards are European; Golle, in England, spent a lot of moolah on raising stab, and it shows.
Ethiopia, with its efficient economy, Ottoman tech group and RotW head start is the world's beacon of scientific advancement. How long will it last?

PS
I am taking requests for next session. Is there anything anyone would like to see mapped out?

AAR reward: 3 spies (due to being plutocratically challenged) 3 colonists

Last edited:
Nice work!

Since you asked, individual nation+vassals maps would be nice as well.

Last but not least, the measure of technological advancement. It is interesting to notice that some of the laggards are European; Golle, in England, spent a lot of moolah on raising stab, and it shows.

This is actually not suprising. As you pointed out, the "ROTW" started with a 10 techlevel advantage on Europe - for whatever reason.

This is actually not suprising. As you pointed out, the "ROTW" started with a 10 techlevel advantage on Europe - for whatever reason.

I'm in no way surprised; it's just fun to see the effect is there. And noticeably lessening already :D

My vision of Ethiopia:

[image cut]

:wacko:

:rofl:

Although I think Brunei is probably the RotW nation to really keep your eye on; they have the powerful Thalassocracy modifier, giving them good navies and the ability to colonize without Colonial Ventures, and they're also only a few years from QFTNW. OTOH Ethiopia's huge coastline is only matched by its huge lack of inland territory; most of the land gained is a thin coastal strip, and the interior is mostly PTI.

Last edited:
Oh come on. Even Croatia has reported higher income than me.

Croatia has no border with the Khanate. Also, my limbic system does not care about the economic resources of a prospective opponent, it looks for size, muscle, and aggressive attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.