• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks, nice to see some stats. This will help rebalancing some things. :)

The treasury is divided by three. The same value is used to balance base tax and that seems to be converted pretty well, so I simply think people save lots of money in ck2 and it don't seem fare to take all savings away on conversion. But I will separate the two values in the next release so that if you want to you can dived the treasury by 50 without messing up the base tax value.

This is one totally awesome converter mod, aside from a few little things that don't make sense(like the names of countries), it is perfect, only 2 flaws I noticed was that there is no Kurdish culture and that the rulers stats are all 1(hope you fix these 2)

Thanks, glad to hear you like it. :)
As there are lots of titles in ck2 with no direct eu3 equivalent it is hard to get all countries right.
I increased the ruler stats conversion ratio a bit in 0.5, maybe I should increase it a bit more.
Conversion of the kurdish culture will be in the next release.

Do you already have an eu3 file in the converter folder?
Do you get a log-file (main.log)?

I've tried with both an EU3 file in the converter folder and an EU3 file not in the converter file.

Is main.log the text document?

CK2 to EU3 v0.5
Init...
Init lua...
Init random seed...
Init religions...
Init cultures...
Init traits...
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II - AAR\common\traits\'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path)
at CK2toEU3Lua.TraitReader.Init()
at CK2toEU3Lua.Program.Main(String[] args)

Just tried out the converter, and i must say you did an excelent job, and i have to thank you. All of the significant countrys, unions, wars, etc. were converted more or less precisely. There is a thing i'm curious about tho. How is the primary culture of a country handled? You see my dinasty was Irish, my primary king title was Ireland, and my capital is in Ireland, yet the primary culture of the British empire is english. It is a fairly simple thing to change in the save file, but im just wondering where and how it is handled.

Here are some screens of the conversion. For comparison's sake.

CK2
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577836849406228749/C1480E9A178C535B782793FFE2ED928EE60D533B/

EU3
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577836849406516141/657457D9F76B9A33CAA895F7441609A50FB80C57/

Someone made something for EU3 to Victoria 2 which actually creates or assumes new nations based on what was in the previous game. It was pretty impressive, with an 'Aragon' in Victoria 2. Any chance something like that could happen here?

I've tried with both an EU3 file in the converter folder and an EU3 file not in the converter file.

Is main.log the text document?

From that log it looks like the converter can't find the traits folder.
Have you placed the converter folder in you ck2 folder?
Have you updated CKII to version 1.06b?
Can you find the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II - AAR\common\traits\" ?

Just tried out the converter, and i must say you did an excelent job, and i have to thank you. All of the significant countrys, unions, wars, etc. were converted more or less precisely. There is a thing i'm curious about tho. How is the primary culture of a country handled? You see my dinasty was Irish, my primary king title was Ireland, and my capital is in Ireland, yet the primary culture of the British empire is english. It is a fairly simple thing to change in the save file, but im just wondering where and how it is handled.

Here are some screens of the conversion. For comparison's sake.

CK2
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577836849406228749/C1480E9A178C535B782793FFE2ED928EE60D533B/

EU3
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577836849406516141/657457D9F76B9A33CAA895F7441609A50FB80C57/

It's great to here that you like it. :)

The primary culture of a nation is set to the culture with the most provinces within the nation, this is a hard coded system at least for now.
For the union nations (GBR, SCA, GER, etc.) there is a special rule that says it has to have one of it's union cultures as primary, there is a table called culture.unions at the end of the file culture.lua where this is set and can be modified.

Secondary cultures is picked from ruler, capital province and the second most common culture in the nation if it is common enough (a value called secondary_culture_line set in defines.lua).

Someone made something for EU3 to Victoria 2 which actually creates or assumes new nations based on what was in the previous game. It was pretty impressive, with an 'Aragon' in Victoria 2. Any chance something like that could happen here?

That can be done by making a converter that generates a mod instead of a save file, I have been thinking about that and maybe I will do it sometime but for now it's not a priority to me.

Nah, it has not been done (yet). There simply is a mod, that you can use as base to convert and to play the converted save, that contains any country present in EU3.

New Update

Version 0.6
*Made sure that no title only have restricted TAGs in the list
*German culture in tyrol now converts to austrian
*Added separate TAG lists to some counties
*Added a TAG list for k_dacia
*Added a TAG list for d_latium
*Placed the required_indep_val in defines.lua for easy access
*Added a table.contains_any function to simplify the file culture.lua
*Improved conversion of some cultures
*Added conversion of kurdish culture
*Slightly increased the default values of stabilty per prestige and piety
*Slightly decreased the army and navy tradition points given from martial skill
*Added a separate treasury_ck2_to_eu3 value to defines.lua separating it from base tax conversion
*Slightly increased the numbers of merchants, officials and diplomats
*Slightly decreased the numbers of missionaries
*Slightly increased the city size from temple and castle buildings
*Forced the garrison sizes to 1000 * fort level
*Slightly changed quality_quantity conditions to push the average value a little towards quantity
*Restructured the government conversion function to fix some bugs in it
*Added a few post to the fixed province name list

From that log it looks like the converter can't find the traits folder.
Have you placed the converter folder in you ck2 folder?
Have you updated CKII to version 1.06b?
Can you find the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II - AAR\common\traits\"

Fixed the first problem, I had the main folder not the converter folder itself in the CK2 folder.

Now I get this message:

Generating HRE...
Creating independent nations...
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CK2toEU3Lua.Nation.Generate()

I assume that means something is missing. I tested it with a standard start time from CK2 and got a fine EU3 save file, but when I use an actual game it seems to crash. Anything I can add to the CK2 save file that may fix this one?

One step closer. But the new problem sound like a bug, I will look at that method to see where such a bug can come from and get back to you. Hold on!

I found one possible reason for your crash and fixed it, the the new version will be up any minute now.

Version 0.61
*Added a log message when staring to pick TAGs for nations
*Fixed a crash when picking alternative TAGs for minor nations

Writing trade data...
Writing nations...
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CK2toEU3Lua.Nation.Write()

It crashes here.

Of course it does, how could I miss that!! :eek:hmy:
Will fix soon.

Fixed that one too and added some rules about anti-popes and theocracies, version 0.62 is out now.

Version 0.62
*Forced anti-pope controllers and their vassals to zero papal influence and zero cardinals
*As advisor anti-popes can now only be converted to a philosopher, theologian or inquisitor
*Sets the government of a nation ruled by an anti-pope to theocratic_government
*Sets the government of k_orthodox, d_sunni and d_shiite to theocratic_government
*Fixed a crash when writing some minor nations to the eu3-file

Now it looks for the save in the folder converter/converter. Can be patched on the fly by creating a second "converter" folder in the "converter" folder and putting the save there, but...

That is probably because I forgot to change in defines.lua, it is still using my debug path. Open defines.lua and change in_path and out_path and you should be fine.

EDIT: I changed them on the dropbox now so those who download from now on will have them set to input.ck2 and output.eu3 as usual.

Last edited:
Two oddities seen thanks to people using converted games to convert to V2:

Normally EU3 will list the current status of a province in the history section, like so:
Code:
	history=
	{
		owner="SCO"
		controller="SCO"
		culture=scottish
		religion=catholic
		hre=no
		base_tax=2.000
		trade_goods=wool
		manpower=1.000
		capital="Inverness"
		citysize=1400.000
		add_core="SCO"
		fort1=yes
		discovered_by="western"
		discovered_by="muslim"
		discovered_by="ottoman"
		discovered_by="eastern"
		1399.10.14=
		{
			[snip]
		}
		[snip]
	}

Your converter leaves this blank, and EU3 apparently never fills it in. unfortunately, this is where the EU3 to V2 converter looks to get the current culture and religion. I'll be fixing it so the next release can handle the absence of this data (it is, after all, stored in the main province structure), but you seem to have a faster release rate than I do. Would you mind including this data in the history section as well?

Also, it seems that if a country is not converted, the country entry in the save is left, but with blank data. This leads to error messages for the EU3 to V2 converter when it can't read some of the data that is not there (tech group, mainly). I don't think there should be any effects other than that (nations that have no territory or cores are removed), but it'd be nice to not see the error messages.

Thanks!

Putting province data under history as well as in the main structure should be easy to fix and I will do so as soon as possible.
Removing eu3 nations that are not converted might be a bit more tricky because of the way that I handle the rest of the world but I will look into it.

Last edited:
Does having minor mods, such as extra ambitions mod, extra traits mod, etc break the conversion compatibility with EU3?
What about CK2+ mod?

Just curious, want to do a CK->EU3->Vicky->HoI game, but not sure what are the limitations.