• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's the link to my fatimid save: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/93953982/Fatimid.ck2
I tried giving the county of Tobruk to a Catholic, then cheating to give him independence. It didn't work, since when I ran the file through the converter the exact same error occured. Next I'm going to try giving a duchy to a Catholic, to see if a larger number of provinces will fix it.

Edit: Giving a Catholic the entire Duchy of Cyrenaica didn't fix it.
Second Edit: Giving the Catholic the title King of Navarra (but not he lands) did fix it! Yay!

Last edited:
Nice to hear you got it running, I have now fixed the bug and your game converts just fine on the new version.
I will run some more tests and probably release tomorrow.

I got it running as well. It turned out it wasn't interpreting my path the way I thought it would, so it was easier just to drop both the CK2 save game and the EU3 output file into the converter folder, and have run the EU3 game for about twenty years. I have to say, this converter does a very good job of assigning appropriate tags, much better than any previous Paradox converter I've seen. I was also pleased at how well it retained the wars, vassal relationships, etc., and though I was afraid that the people at war with their allies (a common situation in CK2) would cause EU3 to blow up, it didn't. I haven't looked in detail at how you set sliders, governnment types, etc.yet.

My only concern is that some independent realms seem to have disappeared. For example, Norway wound up owning Iceland in the EU3 save, but in the CK2 game, Iceland is divided between the Duke of Iceland and the Count of Austisland, both of whom are independent. That's a minor point, but a bit more distressing is that the Holy Roman Emperor has disappeared. In the CK2 save, he is the Duke of Cairo and Damman, Count of Damman, Al Hasa, Bahrein, Alexandria, Buhairya, Gizeh, Cairo, Sarqiyah, Quena and Asyut. In the Eu3 conversion, it appears that half his demesne has been merged with the Shia Caliphate/Mameluk's and the other half assigned to Haasa, both of whom are muslim.

Hey, I'm the lead for the other converter. Nice work! I'm rather curious to check this out!

If you haven't already, please get your converter added to the Master Mod List and perhaps also the wiki. Good work deserves attention, after all.

I got it running as well. It turned out it wasn't interpreting my path the way I thought it would, so it was easier just to drop both the CK2 save game and the EU3 output file into the converter folder, and have run the EU3 game for about twenty years. I have to say, this converter does a very good job of assigning appropriate tags, much better than any previous Paradox converter I've seen. I was also pleased at how well it retained the wars, vassal relationships, etc., and though I was afraid that the people at war with their allies (a common situation in CK2) would cause EU3 to blow up, it didn't. I haven't looked in detail at how you set sliders, governnment types, etc.yet.

My only concern is that some independent realms seem to have disappeared. For example, Norway wound up owning Iceland in the EU3 save, but in the CK2 game, Iceland is divided between the Duke of Iceland and the Count of Austisland, both of whom are independent. That's a minor point, but a bit more distressing is that the Holy Roman Emperor has disappeared. In the CK2 save, he is the Duke of Cairo and Damman, Count of Damman, Al Hasa, Bahrein, Alexandria, Buhairya, Gizeh, Cairo, Sarqiyah, Quena and Asyut. In the Eu3 conversion, it appears that half his demesne has been merged with the Shia Caliphate/Mameluk's and the other half assigned to Haasa, both of whom are muslim.

Glad to hear you like it :)

Duchies remain independent if they pass the indepence test and there are tags left in the tag list, check out the file title.lua
Counties almost never remain independent, they have a hard time passing the test and then they use the same list as the de jure liege duchy but get to pick after empires, kingdoms and duchies.

Is this much different from the other converter?

The main difference that I can see is in the work process.
Idhrendur is running a rather democratic group project, this project is one mans work.
This means that I can work faster but as I don't discust my decisions for a long time with a lot of other players I'm more likely to make mistakes.
It also means that my project is all dependent on me, if I don't like to work on it for some time then no work gets done at all.
So this project is ahead now but the other one is likely to be the better one for most users when it's done.

Of course I'm still open to input from anyone and I have made my converter more moddable by using lua functions.

The main reason that I started my own project instead of joining Idhrendur was that I wanted a running converter for my own game as soon as possible.
The year 1453 was getting closer and I had a realy good game going so I started to look for a converter, found one, saw that it was not developed fast enough and made my own as fast as I could.

Hey, I'm the lead for the other converter. Nice work! I'm rather curious to check this out!

If you haven't already, please get your converter added to the Master Mod List and perhaps also the wiki. Good work deserves attention, after all.

Thank you :) but as I said to Arcvalons your project is likely to be the better one for most users when it's done. So nice work to you and your team as well!
I will absolutly make a post on Master Mod List and on the Wiki, didn't know about the wiki until now.

As far as I can tell, the other converter is planned to be more in-depth and include a converter-mod, but it's less far along.

True, I have not planned a converter mod. But if anyone makes one it is easy to mod this converter as tags, cultures, religions, form of governments, etc is in converted in the lua files.

Version 0.5 is now available.

Version 0.5
*Fixed bug where historical dynasties did not get there names
*Slightly increased the ruler stats convertion ratio
*Exposed the min and max restrictions of monarch and leader skills to lua
*Added a small compensation to monarch skills for non adult rulers
*If a catholic ruler is heretical, the herecy is now mapped to reformed or protestant
*The converter now prints its version number on init
*Fixed a bug with the conversion of some cultures e.g. saxon in brittannia converts to english
*Fixed a bug converting the main culture of cultural unions
*Fixed a crash when there is no or few independent catholic rulers on conversion
*Fixed a bug where the alternative tags for a title never was allowed
*Made e_hre government convert to feudal_monarchy instead of imperial_government unless it has the HRE tag
*Made it possible to get armories, training fields and barracks on convertion
*Improved the conversion of the german culture
*Improved the conversion of the saxon culture
*Increased the chance for an independent county to remain independent
*Counties can now have own tag lists and only uses the list of the de jure duchy if they don't

Just downloaded the latest version to check it out.
It's choking after starting national culture conversion.
Also, on the last release kurdish culture provinces converts to noculture provinces as it has no one to one equivalent in EU3 and there is no special rule to handle it.

Last edited:
Is this utility compatible with CK2+, or just vanilla?

As it is, only vanilla.
But from reading the feature list of CK2+ (I don't use it myself) I think it should be easy to create a mod for the converter.
Easy but time consuming so not my priority but you or any one else are of course very welcome to do so, it should all be in the lua-files.

Just downloaded the latest version to check it out.
It's choking after starting national culture conversion.
Also, on the last release kurdish culture provinces converts to noculture provinces as it has no one to one equivalent in EU3 and there is no special rule to handle it.

What do you mean by choking? Is it running slow, not responding, crashing or what?
I will add the kurdish culture to culture.lua, do you have any idea of an eu3 culture to convert them to?

It appears that I have been outsmarted by this. You need to create an EU3 file to convert the CK file to correct? And then the Path is where the CK2 and EU3 files are located correct?

For example, should the code look like this:

in_path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II - AAR\CK2toEU3\converter\EnglandConvert.ck2", --The ck2 file to read
out_path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II - AAR\CK2toEU3\converter\EnglandConvert.eu3", --The eu3 file to save
first_date = "1405.1.1", --The earlies starting date in your eu3 version

Is that right?

main.log
Since Paradox put it in the persian group, make it persian.

Thank, the log helped me find no less than two possible reasons to why it crashed. They have both been eliminated to the next release.
At least for now I will make them convert to persian.

It appears that I have been outsmarted by this. You need to create an EU3 file to convert the CK file to correct? And then the Path is where the CK2 and EU3 files are located correct?

For example, should the code look like this:

Is that right?

The converter creates an eu3-file, out_path is where like it to be saved.
There has been problems with the use of absolute paths, so I now recommend you to move your ck2 file to the converter folder and only write the file names as in_path and out_path.

About that date, in which version of eu3 is 1405.1.1 the earliest starting date? The converter should work with that date, no problem I'm just curious about why you change it.

The converter creates an eu3-file, out_path is where like it to be saved.
There has been problems with the use of absolute paths, so I now recommend you to move your ck2 file to the converter folder and only write the file names as in_path and out_path.

About that date, in which version of eu3 is 1405.1.1 the earliest starting date? The converter should work with that date, no problem I'm just curious about why you change it.

I changed it to the save date of the CK2 file. Should I not have done that?

The EU3 save file is created, so I should make sure no file already with that name exists correct?

EDIT: I tried that and it still seems not to be generating a file. Should the path names be in quotation?

Like- should it be: in_path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II - AAR\CK2toEU3\converter\EnglandConvert.ck2",
Or- should it be: in_path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II - AAR\CK2toEU3\converter\EnglandConvert.ck2,

Simply set the path to the file name only and use standard quotations.

in_path = "EnglandConvert.ck2",
out_path = "EnglandConvert.eu3",

About the date, as the comment says it is supposed to be the earliest date in your version of eu3. But setting it to the save date does not affect anything.

Simply set the path to the file name only and use standard quotations.

in_path = "EnglandConvert.ck2",
out_path = "EnglandConvert.eu3",

About the date, as the comment says it is supposed to be the earliest date in your version of eu3. But setting it to the save date does not affect anything.

I must be doing something wrong, the converter starts up, goes quickly then closes and the EU3 save file seems to be unchanged.

Do you already have an eu3 file in the converter folder?
Do you get a log-file (main.log)?

Hi. I just compared the historical Jan 1 1453 start to my converted CK2 start of the same date statistically using the EU3 save suite to see how the conversion was coming out. Since it is only one game, no firm conclusions can be drawn from the smaller differences, but there are a couple of places where I think you might want to reconsider how you're converting. The most glaring is the huge treasuries (did you convert CK2 to EU3 on a 1:1 basis?), and it looks like you might want to tone down the fort conversion (or is it the army size?) since the mean garrison size is rather large. Without further ado, here are the stats:

CK2 converted/"Historical" 1453
Country Statistics:
# of Countries: 171/203
Prestige: 3.45/-0.78
Stability: 0.65/0.91
Treasury: 1053.6/58.5
Army Tradition: 7.97/3.82
Naval Tradition: 7.8/3.84
Culture Tradition: 0.19/0.16
Manpower: 3.71/5.57
Merchants: 1.71/2.44
Missionaries: 1.12/0.51
Spies: 1.07/0.73
Diplomats: 2.13/4.07
Officials: 1.05/1.18

Sliders generally similar (the actual numbers aren't given by the save suite unfortunately), but in the converted game, most countries are tilted rather far toward quality.

Province Statistics:
World pop: 13.4 million/15.6 million
City Size: 14007/16298
Garrison: 3360/784
Base Tax: 4.94/4.25
Manpower: 4.14/2.66
Cores:1.25/1.31
Advisors: .48/.67

On a side note, I was able to play a hands-off game all the way to 1821 without any crashes, so the stability of the saves created is great! I'm tempted to load the game into Vickie II to see what it does with such a funny result. The sun never sets on the Byzantine Empire. I was sad that the Papal colonial empire collapsed in the middle of the 18th century, though.

Note: This was done with version 04., not the current one.

Last edited: