• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice war, quick (even if it wasn't just a summer affair) and to the point. Now you have the luxury of choosing when to strike Bohemia at your leisure, while leaving Muscovy strong enough to keep the Lithuanians busy :)

Why does Muscovy have a general with a German name?

Well, surnames can be misleading when judging background (and loyalties), look at this von Lascy, for example.

I agree. Let the French carry the load for now. Come along later and pick up the pieces.

What if there is no later? The French are already besieging Vorpommern- if CK waits too long, Bohemia might surrender, will then be free to turn all its attention against the Order.

What if there is no later? The French are already besieging Vorpommern- if CK waits too long, Bohemia might surrender, will then be free to turn all its attention against the Order.

True, there is an element of risk in sitting back and waiting for a bit. Nevertheless, it would allow the Order to mass its forces and gain whatever intelligence it can about Bohemia . Plus the Bohemians may surrender as soon as the Order declares war anyways, to turn their full attention towards the northern crusaders.

Blsteen gave a good answer.

My take on it is if nothing else it will take time to reposition his men and replace his loses and all the time Bohemia has France beating on their head. He could try to take advantage of the situation with a quick strike but since I don’t know the exact situation in the field I’ll leave it to CatKnight to do what he thinks best.:D

Joe

dublish: Gotta get my army out of Russia first!

wolfcity: Yes, knowing where the Bohemian army was would have been wise, wouldn't it? As this post begins, Ladislav is 69 years old.

Stuyvesant: Hm...that is the problem. I've already given up everything I can really afford to. ;)

merrick: I remember thinking 'How come I have a positive war score against Georgia? I haven't even seen them yet.' Scroll down to the Black Sea: 'Wow, Ingria's actually helping!?'

Qorten: That would have been a fine idea. :)

AllmyJames: The hope was that with Lithuania fighting for their life, they wouldn't fight for Bohemia's.

Enewald: No nation that holds the HRE title is ever a corpse. That title scares the heck out of me now!

dublish: Boh. and Lith. ARE allied. Lithuania is technically defending Ryazan (who's now dead) from Muscowy, while Bohemia was helping Cologne against France. Alliances only kick in if the power is directly attacked (or attacks).

Chief Ragusa: When v Sangerhausen took over, you mentioned '7 years of peace followed by 7 of war.' Your numbers were slightly off, but the general premise has proven to be spot on.

Vandervecken: God knows how many men are buried along the Teuton/Bohemian frontier. Unfortunately I can imagine a pretty good business in locating and looting corpses that never made it to a graveyard.

blsteen: At the very least I need to get my army home before I jump Bohemia. Attacking with 5,000 on the border would just be asking for a beating.

AllmyJames: Thanks! I would have preferred a second Muscowy province, but such was not to be.

Storey: So long as the French don't do something silly and let Bohemia off for scraps or nothing at all.

aldriq: Ack! Excellent point. I have to remind myself that, not only are there mercenaries from every nation about, but nationalism isn't nearly as strong in 1490 as today. A German serving Muscowy might raise eyebrows from a religious standpoint, but that's all.

dublish: A good counterargument. Bohemia has shown its ability to recover pretty quickly.

blsteen: I think the idea of gathering intelligence would have been wise. Things didn't quite work out that way.

Storey: It might be overcautious waiting for my troops to mass near Bohemia before striking. It's hard for me to tell anymore....I've had my head handed to me enough times where some caution seems to be called for.

COMMENT: Bonus picture. I was scrolling through the world map, mainly curious about Portugal's colonization efforts and whether the AI has gone nuts anywhere else, and found this little gem.

1491Adal.jpg

I think I'm staying out of East Africa.

smlteu2.png

XXXII: Kicking Down the Door (1488-1491)

Death of the Devil

Hochmeister von Sangerhausen's popularity ran high following the Russian campaign. They'd taken Tver with minimal loss. Even now missionaries answering to the aging Komtur of Beloozero, Eustach von Freytag, converged on the city to fulfill God's work. Sullen Muscovites, for the most part, accorded the soldiers with the respect due. For their part the Order's men, many astonished at the relatively bloodless nature of their victory, left Russia with minimal fuss.

Part of this relative benevolence stemmed from knights and lay officers looking forward to the final test of their prowess and the justness of their cause. In modern sports parlance, if Muscowy was a divisional rival, they now looked forward to the championship match against their bitter enemy.

In the time it took fast galleys to sprint from Konigsberg to Neva, and riders to intercept the long columns led by priests singing the glories of God to the Russian countryside, word spread of Bohemia's disheveled state. The French sieged western Pommerania with Portugese carracks blockading. The Maltese seized eastern Pommerania. Bitter fighting along the Austrian border. Soldiers eagerly force marched home as the temperature dropped and Moscow's greatest ally, General Winter, once more hinted at his presence.

In Prague, the court and nobles worried. Emperor Ladislav guaranteed the Pope against Neapolitan aggression, and that war went about as well as the French. Marshal Vilem Lablonec (F 6, Sh 6, M 5, Sg 1) lay in a hospice recovering from wounds retained during a five hundred mile fighting withdrawl across the heart of Imperial territory. Spies told them the Teuton army was on the way home and could be looking for blood. Lablonec himself went to the emperor in early September.

Vilem Lablonec said:
My Lord, I will gladly fight the Empire's enemy, from my bed if needbe. However, I must tell you that we cannot fight on two fronts, let alone the possibility of three. I beg you: Make peace with the French. They have what they want and we no longer have the resources to take it back. As for the pope....

He caught the emperor in a reflective mood. Not that it helped:

Ladislav II said:
Do you know what seperates me from my father (Vaclav IV)? Determination. In his time Bohemia nearly fell. I have made us the most powerful nation in Europe. WE have done that. I will not see my work undone by an effete pretender to the throne in Paris. And what of the Pope? He supported us whenever we told him Bohemia needed to expand to protect the Empire. We cannot have a rival form in Italy that could one day challenge our southern border.

The war continues, but dread naught, my friend. These setbacks will pass. I am still here, and as long as I live, then God is with us.

He died on September 23, 1488 at age 69.

It is a testament to his accomplishments how much his enemies feared and despised him. Few outside Bohemia mourned his death. Some, like Komtur von Aderkas on Danzig, celebrated in a very un-Christian manner. In his reign Ladislav II (b. 1419, r. 1429-1488) the Great, dei gratia Romanorum imperator electus semper augustus, recovered Silesia, conquered Pommerania, seized over half of Poland for his progeny, and even took Thorn away from the Teutons. He outlived all his rivals (save the French king) and turned Bohemia from the broken remnant left by Vaclav to something entire generations of Knights learned to fear and hate. His son Viktor, took the name Ladislav III in honor of his father.

Paradoxically, Ladislav served his country one last time in death. The Imperial electors met and appointed ten year old Joseph of Austria as heir to the Imperial dignities. This meant that Austria now had a moral obligation to protect the Bohemians against all aggressors... including the Ordenstaadt.

This left Hochmeister Sangerhausen a serious diplomatic problem. Attacking Bohemia would be risky enough, especially if Lithuania joined in and Austria didn't honor the alliance. If the Osterreich actively joined the defenders... Visions of tattered banners and ruined cities filled his mind. Bohemia once nearly broke the Order. Austria now was even stronger.

Still, he couldn't do nothing, not with tens of thousands of men coming home from war and scores of lay soldiers joining every day. He'd already authorized Rittermeister von Dorpat to increase the Home army from five thousand to ten in anticipation of fighting Ladislav.

Sangerhausen wrote in his journal:

Adam von Sangerhausen said:
I have no choice but to betray your vision, my friend, I pray for the last time. I cannot fight the Bohemians now. I doubt I will be able to while the boy (Joseph of Austria) lives. Yet the men cry for blood, and I find myself slave to their desires. Would I had your strength to stand resilient. Would that you were here...

....having no choice, I must make the best of it.

1488Aug2-Mission.jpg

Gift Wrapped

If the men returning home from war were disappointed at losing their chance against Bohemia, they hid it remarkably well. Though few men felt the same rancor towards Lithuania as the emperor, it still seemed like a gift: A rather pretty gift, as Ivan IV of Muscowy vented his fury by finding the heart of Vytautas' army and cutting it out. The Lithuanian army had fallen to roughly seventeen thousand.

Further, their allies were...busy. The new King of Bohemia showed no interest in anything but getting out of his current wars as soon as possible. Denmark and Ingria both joined the Norwegian defense against Sweden. Ingria, of course, was also a Teuton ally. Vytautas stood virtually alone.

Sangerhausen sent a message to Vilnius activating Hochmeister von Plauen's claim to Samogitia and demanding its 'return.' As usual there wasn't much point in waiting for a reply and soldiers crossed the border in early November.

1488Nov-LithWar.jpg

Brandenberg joined the attack for form's sake, knowing they were safe behind Bohemian lines. Novgorod also joined their overlord, eager not to lose Teuton protection against Moscow. The Austrian regents sent a curious note on behalf of their emperor:

Unnamed regent for Joseph of Austria said:
We cannot join you in this affair, for we now devote ourselves to the active defense of the Empire. Please be assured, however, that though we will not fight the Lithuanians, we remain committed to friendship with the Ordenstaadt and you may certainly count upon us if any trouble your lands.
(Austria refuses to join, but almost immediately offers a fresh alliance.)

On the defense, Ladislav III reported that 'only a madman fights on three fronts' and bowed out. Denmark and Ingria, however, joined in despite their war with Sweden.

The commanders in the eastern field, Sangerhausen and Loringhoven, weren't surprised by this apparent betrayal and simply marched small detachments into Ingria before continuing with their grand plan. Having left a token force at Kholm, the two armies would meet at the trading center in Polotsk and disperse from there.

Rittermeister von Dorpat reasoned that Bohemia wouldn't change their mind and attack the Ordenstaadt separately, certainly not with Austria promising to defend them. He therefore swung his armies east to Medininkai (Samogitia) and Trakai (Troki).

It was a good plan, but as usual in these affairs plans have a habit of going astray. First, a Lithuanian banner pierced the Teuton defenses and sieged Wenden. That wasn't the problem, for Grosskomtur Tomas von Aderkas (a cousin to the Danzig komtur) simply recruited a small mercenary force to fight them off.

Second, the Teuton navy was old and barely worthy of the name. Five cogs, originally intended to transport troops to the Bohemian front, ran afoul of four Ingrian galleys intent on capture. Fortunately the wind served and the transport fleet ran down the coast to Narva and so out of harm's way. This was an embarassment, nothing more.

Third, the Ordenstaadt's naval commanders were even less worthy of the title. None of the sailors currently fighting were even alive the last time the navy fought a determined melee on the open sea. Their fifteen galleys, therefore, were completely unprepared when sixteen Danish carracks with nine galleys of their own appeared on the horizon. Worse, 'Admiral' von Paderborn didn't understand that he needed to flee. In a battle that lasted perhaps thirty minutes start to finish, the Order's fighting navy ceased to exist.

Fortunately Ingria's tiny army stubbornly defended their tiny enclave on the Arctic coast. (Their colony. It's on the far side of Muscowy. I can only imagine that's where the Ingrian army is, because they didn't show up during the war.) As for Danish sea invasion, they had their hands full trying to fight the Swedes off. Despite the naval setbacks neither nation again played a role in the war.

In December 1488 Ivan of Muscowy chose not to pursue his advantage and declared a status quo peace with Vytautas. The king sent word for the Royal Army, some nineteen banners at his height but now reduced to nine thousand men, to relieve Kholm and Polotsk before counterattacking.

Through the winter both armies deployed for what would be the decisive battles of the campaign. Hochmeister von Sangerhausen held Vilnius long enough for Dorpat's army to arrive and invest the capital. He then marched towards Mogilyov to stop reinforcements from taking Polotsk back. In Kholm, Komtur von Loringhoven realized the danger posed by the main Lithuanian army and requested help from Komtur von Freytag and his 'missionaries.'

1489Mar-Update.jpg

Sharp fighting broke out in March 1489. Sangerhausen destroyed the Lithuanian army at Mogilyov. The sieging army at Polotsk withstood an attack at 1:2 odds that left 300 Lithuanians and 400 Teutons on the field. Sangerhausen went on to crush reinforcements at Bryansk. Mercenaries finally attacked the Lithuanian army at Wenden and destroyed them as well.

In Kholm, the Royal Army deployed against Rittermeister von Loringhoven. King Vytautas made his way from Vilnius, avoiding Dorpat's army, to take command of the army reinforced to thirteen thousand men against ten thousand Teutons.

This, then, was the main battle of the war. A complete Teuton victory ended all resistance, while if Lithuania won the entire network of sieges would be undone. Vytautas enjoyed a 3:1 advantage in cavalry, while Loringhoven's infantry easily dominated their rivals.

For the better part of two days they hammered at each other. Sabre wielding cavalry whirled and spun around each other in a series of clashes over several square miles while the Teuton footmen ground their enemies into oblivion. On noon during the second day the king himself led a charge that flanked and devastated the Orders' neat ranks. A chance spear caught his horse in the throat however, and the screaming animal fell on top of its rider.

Loringhoven finally withdrew on the afternoon of the second day with seven thousand killed. The Lithuanians lost ten thousand and, more importantly, their king. Commanders blinded by fury and grief had three valid choices:

1) Attack and destroy the sieging armies in surrounding demenses. Eventually there would be another battle with Sangerhausen, but it'd be on Lithuanian soil with even greater numbers than before.

2) Sit and rebuild. Again there would eventually be a reckoning, but again the army would have had time to recover.

3) Chase Loringhoven to Novgorod and try to destroy his army once and for all, which would take about a third of the Ordenstaadt's fighting strength out of the war.

Instead they chose option 4: Attack Pskov, perhaps hoping to provoke Komtur von Loringhoven as he tried to rebuild his army.

Kestutis II of Lithuania said:
Is there anything so false as the Teutons? Show them no mercy. Destroy their armies. Kill their men. Burn their holdings. He who brings me (Loringhoven's) head shall have any boon within my power.

Yet, despite the tactical defeat at Kholm, the tide had turned. Polotsk and Trakai fell in June. Attempts to relieve Polotsk at the eleventh hour failed. Medininkai surrendered the next month. In August Neva, Ingria yielded and their duke accepted the usual terms.

1489Aug-Ingriavassal.jpg

By now the Royal Army had given up on Pskov and advanced to Wenden. Over the next few months a straggling series of armies from across the Ordenstaadt engaged them, often suffering defeat but leaving them disorganized for the next foray. In September Hochmeister von Sangerhausen engaged with ten thousand men against the Lithuanians, who'd reinforced themselves with mercenaries back up to five. He destroyed their force while losing perhaps one thousand of his own men. The stragglers retreated to Pskov, ran straight into Rittermeister von Loringhoven's replenished army, and were no more.

After September 1489 the war was over in all but name, though Kestutis for one was too stubborn to realize it. Both of the main Teuton armies, devastated by loss and attrition, split off individual banners to carry on the fight while the weaker units rested and recovered. Kholm once more fell under siege as Knyaz Rurikovich of Archangel marched on Luga (Tula) with six thousand. Minor setbacks in Bryansk and Trakai met with brutal retribution as reinforcements appeared. Bialystok (Podlasia) and Grodno fell under siege.

In December, the last battle worthy of the title was fought north of Czernowitz (Podolia) in southern Lithuania. Hochmeister von Sangerhausen led five thousand horsemen against an army of four thousand Lithuanians patiently building to retake their homeland. The Slavs were tired, hungry, desperate and not very well trained. Within hours those who could flee did so never to rise again, while Sangerhausen lost less than 400 men.

Firestorm

On January 11, 1490 Vilnius fell to Rittermeister von Dorpat.

1490Jan-WarContinues.jpg

Now I must again caution the gentle reader against literal interpertation of history, especially during this period when Europe first emerged from the superstition and general ignorance of the Dark Ages. Having given this warning, we may safely ignore widespread reports from Marienburg.

Marienburg had never been a large city even as headquarters of the monastic state. Those factors that led to the growth of cities during this era, such as available jobs, were more abundant in nearby Konigsberg. Since the headquarters migrated to that city, Marienburg fell into steady decline until only the diehards or the desperate with nowhere else to go lived amidst the ruins of their fallen castle.

It is these people who, on January 11, report a great shaft of light erupted from the ruins near the cathedral where many of the fallen Hochmeisters were buried. Allegedly this light could be seen by farmers and herders miles away.

This is probably false, 'history' written after the fact to glorify what would follow. Even if true there are any number of weather phenomena that would explain this.

Regardless of what one chooses to believe, what happened next in Vilnius is verifiable.

Anonymous manuscript said:
....I rode with (Rittermeister von Dorpat) as we entered the great marketplace. Buildings surrounded us on all sides and I had an impression of being closed in. Despite forcing Vilnius to surrender through starvation, our numbers were few while theirs were great. I had to cover my nose against the stench of death.

When Vilnius surrendered, they sent a leading citizen to our camp with the keys to the city gates around his neck. (Dorpat) hung the man and displayed the head in a most shocking fashion before entering the town. I could feel the fear and desperation in the air.

For perhaps the first time this campaign I prayed that Christian mercy and forbearance would grip Lord von Dorpat's soul, and indeed as I looked upon him he seemed to glow as if from a fire whose source I could not see. Then he looked upon me, and his eyes were not his own. Then he spoke, and his voice was not his own either.

"Burn it all."

Thus Rittermeister von Dorpat repaid the injury done by Svitrigailia of Lithuania 52 years earlier. (Post # 12) Fear and desperation turned to riot as they torched the first buildings. Soldiers put down the riot with brutal German efficiency and continued their rampage. Only the cathedral was spared, in an unexpected echo of Marienburg's burning and as a nod to Teuton piety. King Kestutis himself escaped Vilnius through a sally port and fled into Bohemia to beg succor.

Ladislav III had no intent of getting involved in a hopeless cause, though he did grant the Lithuanian king sanctuary. It'd taken all his diplomatic skill to escape the French and Neapolitan wars unscathed. While a more energetic and daring ruler might have risked the throw, he feared Austria's intervention and simply offered his services as negotiator.

For his part, Hochmeister von Sangerhausen might have personally preferred peace, but with victory so certain he couldn't accept anything less than completely humiliating his rival. The war continued therefore, with Tula and Mogilyov falling in late winter. Reinforcements invested the last of Lithuania's cities and their army ceased to exist as a fighting force in a series of skirmishes against undertrained militia.

In September 1490 Minsk fell to the Teutons, while Bryansk surrendered to Novgorod. In January 1491 Pinsk (Polesia) fell...

1491Feb-Update.jpg

...with Voronzeh, Kursk, Czernowitz (Podolia) and Chernigov following within the month. Kestutis sent a generous offer via Bohemian diplomats to the Hochmeister. Not generous enough, but close enough where serious negotiations could take place.

On March 17, 1491 Kestutis returned to the ruins of his capital and met Hochmeister von Sangerhausen. Neither man smiled (though the Teuton representatives did engage in some polite gloating), neither man shook each other's hand. It was a strange, uncomfortable meeting, made even more so by the fact their mediator wasn't a Papal legate or delegate, but a fellow ruler...one neither had much reason to like.

1491Mar-PeaceLith.jpg

For the soldiers and priests of the Ordenstaadt, this was their finest hour, and if their faith allowed it they would have happily deified their Hochmeister then and there. Certainly he could be compared favorably with any of the thirty other men who'd held the title up to and including Hermann von Salza. In a handful of years he'd humbled Moscow at little cost and devastated one of their most hated foes.

Across eastern Europe nobles and rulers wondered if they'd exchanged one devil for another. Hochmeister von Sangerhausen could say he wanted peace, but the last several years said otherwise. Further, rather than delicate and relatively permissible shifts in the balance of power to make the Order safer, he'd gone for the throat like, quoted Duke Johann of Saxony, a wild wolf. (Infamy 19.2 of 21, but Prestige 42) Their expansion particularly worried Johan II of Sweden (Lots of Johans around here lately...) Having taken Neva from Ingria during their part of the war, he couldn't go further without risking Teuton wrath. The Ordenstaadt might be worse than useless on the sea, but their armies couldn't be ignored.

For the Hochmeister himself, the praise, adulation and near worship that followed him tasted bitter. They were praising him for making a mockery of Luneburg's dreams. After so many years as Hochmeister he wasn't even sure what his friend would have wanted anymore, but he doubted it involved taking over northern Lithuania or burning their capital.

Perhaps just as bad, Sangerhausen valued the friends and connections he'd made over the years, even when they disagreed. Now they shamelessly truckled to their great ruler. He found himself isolated, worried about making a mistake, and longing for the days when he was only the Order's deputy and the world still made some kind of sense.

Last edited:
Huzzah! That's a mighty drubbing you handed Lithuania there! :cool: And nice to see Ingria brought to heel.

Too bad about Bohemia now being guaranteed by Austria as HRE. Hadn't thought of that. Hmm. I suppose you'll have to wait until the Austrians attack them themselves? It'll be interesting to see what happens as a result of the wars in Bohemia. Hope you don't get France as a neigbour!

Just as I was reviewing what I wrote, my machine crashed. Irksome!

I'd have taken the gamble that Austria would have joined in the landgrab on Bohemia.

You brought Ingria back as a vassal and gained through them a bulwark in Denmark and Norway against Swedish expansion.

Von Plauen broke Poland allowing Bohemia to rise. Von Sangerhausen broke Lithuania. Lithuania went on a missionary spree early on, so your gains ought all be Catholic. If Grodno and Minsk provide you with cores, you could take them and force a capitol relocation. Tannenburg is avenged. Hopefully, Ivan IV and his shock 6 will not benefit. Your truce expires shortly. Alliance with Gotland and a dishonour would bring back another territory lost a century earlier. Your war tradition ought to make a pretty decent general become available. Von Plattenburg, perhaps?

Your infamy is so high that Bohemia, now recovered will attack. Using the reconquest cb, you can gain your cores and force release of Masovia and Pommerania for 0 infamy. Lithuania would dishonour, if it had any sense, were the alliance still intact. You can always grant Ivan access. I hope Ivan honours his guarantee. Austria surely will. Regaining core lands and forcing release of vassals should not add to that Infamy. Remember to consolidate your armies and make no attacks piecemeal, this time, on Bohemia.

Von Sangerhausen always struck me as the warrior, not a man of peace, frustrated by Luneburg's peaceful nature. Now he knows what loneliness command brings. He will have to share with his Council that he fears Bohemia as strong as ever, massed on the Order's borders and knows a defensive war at first will cost many lives. They will be avenged. Yes the war will be long, possibly, but the Order owes it to the Grandmasters who have gone before to remove Bohemia from the Baltic. Only the Ordenstaat has title, here. The war with Bohemia is inevitable. It is God's Holy Will. The Order must be prepared. Vengeance will be the Order's.

Last edited:
And burnt it was, finally. (Now only one more city remains)

This was one of the best updates yet in terms of writing as well as content so all I can say is that I am eager to see what goes on next.

As Chief Ragusa said, the Mare Balticum belongs to the Order. From a role-playing perspective controlling its trade network will ensure a military-economic (r)evolution in the next century.

This is indeed the Order's shining hour, with large territorial gains and two highly successful wars at little (immediate) cost. Where will the Order go now? With such high infamy, you can't do much for fear of getting jumped.

I think it's time for Von Sangerhausen to prove that he can rule in peace as well as conquer in war. It might be a lot duller and it might not get him any closer to revenge against Bohemia, but it will be crucial if the Order is to hold on to its new gains.

Perhaps a quick spot of converting the Orthodox masses could soothe the Hochmeister's guilty conscience?

The best-laid plans of mice, men and Grand Masters... Austria getting the HRE title and guaranteeing Bohemia was a wrinkle I did not expect. Von Sangerhausen probably made the right call in seizing the moment against Lithuania - for once, a war the Order could push to a finish rather than running out of gas before they got to the top. Von Plauen's ghost seems happy, anyway.

But I can understand von Sangerhausen's reaction - sure, it's three provinces and vengeance for Tannenberg, but is conquering Catholics in pursuit of strictly secular ambition really what the Order is about? Not to mention that it's also permanently alienated the only major neighbour the Order had the chance of maintaining good relations with. Once the cheering has died down, three things remain:

Lithuania is still very, very big.
The Order is now very, very unpopular
Neither Bohemia nor Muscovy is out of it - and the Orders still can't fight two of them without help.

I think I'm staying out of East Africa.
Actually, you should be heading straight for East Africa - Adal has African tech, so they're now an extremely wealthy pushover. (I haven't played WWM, but in vanilla Adal quite often ends up with provinces in the southern Swahili lands - a consequence of unfortified provinces and the pagan-annex rule. I've never seen them conquer Mutapa before, though I have seen them cross the Red Sea and annex Mecca(!)

War on Lithuania, who could've thought of that, with so much attention going to the Bohemian-French War. Also very good that you now have an ally that happens to be Emperor! That makes rather certain that you now have to focus either on Eastern Europe or Scandinavia.

Didn't you have any CB on Bohemia (reconquest, maybe)? With a valid CB you can DoW without the emperor getting involved. Not that it matters much now, the gains in Lithuania are well worthwhile. And if the Teutons waited for 52 years for Lithuania, surely they can wait a few more for Bohemia...

Shame about Bohemia slipping away like that. I figured time would be critical, but certainly wasn't expecting Ladislav's death.

Time to lie low for a while, I think. You've got a core on Lithuania, but can't get the province unless you annex the rest of the country first, right? Muscovy should be able to keep Lithuania off your back while you find a way to hit Bohemia without half of Europe getting on your case about it. Hopefully they'll attack you with your infamy so high, but I doubt it.

Been playing TO many times, didn't go very well. Have to try again after seeing this AAR.

Enewald: Good luck to me. ;)

AllmyJames: France as a neighbor would be...very frightening.

ChiefRagusa: Let's see...where to begin. Forcing Lithuania to move their capital sounds like fun, but the Order would look pretty odd at that point. (On a map it looks pretty odd already!)

As for Bohemia, I have one core on them: Sieradz. (Torun/Thorn started the game Polish. I believe it was gabor who mentioned there were two towns with that name along the old border. Bah.) Doesn't mean I won't try to take it back though, along with the rest of northern Poland.

Vandervecken: We don't necessarily have to burn Prague, since it wasn't Bohemian troops that torched Marienburg.

Sack it and knock down the ex-emperor's castle? Certainly.

blsteen: Yep. I think Sangerhausen's realizing that leadership isn't quite as easy as he imagined all those years ago.

Stuyvesant: I think we need a period of peace and qu iet (if it can be arranged...) to consolidate and think about where we're going next. We have one Orthodox province: Tver - and a missionary is there already.

merrick: Good analysis. Lithuania was probably a good call at the time, but as you say - it's not over yet. Whereas before we had all sorts of reasons to want to avenge ourselves on them, now the Lithuanians can say the same thing. Their core on Samogitia means they'll be back when they can arrange it.

Muscowy still has a core on Tver, and we're in the way of their dream of forming Russia. Strangely Bohemia's the only one without a reason to fight me, but at least while Ladislav II was around that didn't seem to stop them.

Qorten: Surprised me too! I was quite...vocal with my computer when Ladislav II died as I was bringing my armies home to finally avenge myself. I guess one of the hazards of writing this as I go is that you carefully set up for one thing, and another happens. Or your rulers keep dying right after you start the game up...

aldriq: I checked to be sure: Austria could care less that I have a CB. My only 'hope' on that front is that Bohemia gets bored and starts it, or Austria decides to take out the only real rival for control of the HRE.

dublish: Yep, time to lie low. Theoretically the other way I could get Vilnius/Lithuania is if I cut it off from the rest of its territory, THEN take it in a war. That's at least two fights, one where I have to seize every border province. Eep.

arkcheung: Welcome!

From a non-role playing standpoint (IE pure game play) the TO is challenging, but not that bad. Ally with Poland on day 1 so that they look elsewhere to start trouble. Plow through Russia - Pskov and Novgorod are pretty easy, and Novgorod has a TC. Then look west and go after Pommerania.

Don't fight Poland/Lith unless you have to - their alliance is potent, especially since both countries get the Liberum Veto if they start to lose. Obviously be careful about torquing off the Emperor. You don't have the naval strength to do much about Denmark/Sweden. Still plenty of opportunity though.

COMMENT: Since this next post is pretty short, expect another update in the next day or so.

smlteu2.png

XXXIII: Brief Interlude (1491)

Attitude Problems

The Year of our Lord, fourteen hundred ninety one was generally benevolent for the Order of the Teutonic Knights. It was a time for self indulgence in what turned out to be an easy victory over one of their most troubling foes during the fifteenth century. Yes, Kestutis II of Lithuania was still a powerful enemy, but not quite as strong as in former days while the Teutons themselves were never stronger.

Only one major competitor remained, and Bohemia's time would come. Many doubted this while Emperor Ladislav II lived, but he'd gone to his final judgement (a rather dire one, many predicted.) As for the new emperors in Wien, sooner or later they'd look the other way or the Bohemians would declare war on the wrong country. Then much would be avenged and the Ordenstaadt would have all the lebensraum it would ever need.

No doubt some had doubts about this new found pride and bellicose direction the Knights were headed, but as long as Hochmeister von Sangerhausen lived none would question where he led the Order. Two relatively quick victories made him immune to criticism.

As far as Sangerhausen was concerned, this was the problem. He saw the wars as necessary steps to pacify those who might criticize the direction he (and his predecessor) wanted to go. Their unprecedented success made it appear this was all he stood for. His vision, in their eyes, became the ideals of a more refined age .... after their invincible Hochmeister finished leading their armies to victory in God's name and by His will.

Many would argue this would be an easy fix: Sangerhausen just needed to explain himself and use his incredible popularity to lead them towards Luneburg's dream. Unfortunately his efforts were stymied by his own growing legend. As the weeks passed and more men returned home he proved unable to combat others' expectations of him. He found himself playing the champion's role more frequently and finally events ran away from him.

That's not to say he didn't try. In an attempt to reassure his neighbors Sangerhausen once more guaranteed Poland's independence and placed Smolensk under the Order's protection (SoI) in exchange for promises by Knyasz Aleksander II Romanov to convert. He also repudiated claims some of the more exuberant priests made regarding Vilnius and whether that would make a fine headquarters for the Ordenstaadt. (For some reason my core on Lithuania didn't stick. Maybe because it's the Lith. capital?)

Warriors of God

These moves were nothing compared to those the Grossgebietiger and other Order priests and knights made in an effort to please their champion. In the weeks following Lithuania's surrender new rittermeisters, like Rudolf von Ruszdorf (F3 S5 M4 Sg1) and Heinrich von Loringhoven, brother to the Komtur of Pskov (F1 S 6 M2 Sg1) stepped forward representing this new confidence (arrogance).

With Komtur von Aderkas returned to God at last, Ruszdorf led efforts to turn Danzig, with its many roads and river connections, into the military's breadbasket. Danzigers built several warehouses and began organizing logistical stockpiles against future wars. (Danzig turns into Grain Depot: National MP +5%, National Force Limit +10%, Local Trade -50%)

This in turn angered the local merchants who saw their city overrun by peddlers and other 'riff raff.' Some left the Order entirely, while most simply migrated to the trading center at Polotsk. (5 merchants) Goods from all over Lithuania came to Polotsk, while Novgorod found its efforts badly hampered by twin trading cities in Muscowy. Russian merchants expressed confidence that Sangerhausen would take care of the matter by dismantling the Muscovite centers.

By June 1491 the Order was, if anything, even stronger militarily than before the Lithuanian war. Those potential knight masters (generals) rising through the ranks quickly learned the old adage that the best defense consisted in offense. Komtur von Loringhoven, his brother, and von Ruszdorf drew up plans for attacking each of their foes in turn. (Offense +1 - fallout below)

None of this, obviously, thrilled the Order's neighbors. No one dared fight Sangerhausen at this time, but in Moscow and Stockolm, Vilnius and Prague, court officials watched, worried, and waited. None for a moment believed the Hochmeisters' call for peaceful coexistence. The Order's actions spoke volumes, and certainly the grand master led these efforts.

Certainly not. Sangerhausen made one last attempt to stop the shift in momentum. Speaking before the Grossgebietiger he gave a long, flustered speech calling on the army to cease recruiting lay soldiers.

Adam von Sangerhausen said:
For surely as God watches us, so does the rest of Europe. What will all this...these preparations earn us but provoke others into attack and earn us another round of war?

Let them come, was the popular sentiment. They'd beaten Lithuania on their home soil. What were Bohemia, Swedish or anyone else's army going to do in Teuton territory besides die?

Sangerhausen retired from the council - and government - in despair. The military buildup continued. The Order's enemies continued watching, worrying and waiting. Soldiers drifted towards the Muscovite border...just in case. Sangerhausen spent the late summer and autumn visiting great and small parishes alike in an effort to find the strength to redeem Luneburg's reforms - and so redeem himself in the process.

Peace eluded him until mid December when he caught fever while on the road between Trakai and Allenstein. His party took refuge in a small church where he finally confessed his most mortal sin, found forgiveness, and surrendered his earthly bonds.

Teutonic Order said:
Population: 1,995,000
Largest City: Danzig (47,200)
Religion: Catholic (95.4%), Orthodox (4.6%)
Culture: Prussian (49.5%), Russian (21.5%), Byelorussian (12.7%), Other (16.3%)

Tech: Gov 8, Pro 8, Trd 10, Lnd 8, Nvy 8
Prestige 32, MP 636, Gold 66 Stab 1, Infamy 18.6, Inflation 22.5
Army: 19 Men at Arms, 15 Knights (currently 27,000)
Navy: 5 Cogs

1491Dec-Adamdies.jpg

It's hard to feel too much sympathy for Von Sangerhausen, but I worry who's going to succeed him. All this sabre-rattling will only lead to trouble, especially since the Order is a rather spread-out entity now, with four large neighbours (Bohemia, Lithuania, Muscowy, Sweden).

Nice to see you have three trading centres though :). Novgorod, Smolensk and Ingria are just waiting to be 'admitted' into the Order....someday.