• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just thought of something... what happens if Portugal starts to colonize the New World?

Good Egg said:
Ahem, this really does need updating. I thought I'd have a look at what else was knocking around on this sub-forum, and all I could find was second-rate fan-fiction, so the more threads from people who seem to realise that EU3 is in fact a computer game, the better.

What is wrong with using EU3 as a medium through which one can write a story? In fact, I generally find AAR's more interesting if they are presented as stories, than as simple game reports.

Sr. Toledo said:
I just thought of something... what happens if Portugal starts to colonize the New World?

An interesting question. Is there a way to check another nation's tech, to see if they are close to getting another idea? Also, when will the first "Spread of Discoveries" events start to open up America to all of Europe? I have had a few games where I end up with hegemony in America without ever taking QftNW, because of these events.

What is wrong with using EU3 as a medium through which one can write a story? In fact, I generally find AAR's more interesting if they are presented as stories, than as simple game reports.

Seconded. Some of us read Alternate History/Historical Fiction novels, and consider EU3 an extension of that- our way of creating alternate history without having to write a whole book. And, if we choose to share this alternate history via AAR, what's the problem?

Amob_m_s said:
An interesting question. Is there a way to check another nation's tech, to see if they are close to getting another idea? Also, when will the first "Spread of Discoveries" events start to open up America to all of Europe? I have had a few games where I end up with hegemony in America without ever taking QftNW, because of these events.

50 years after discovery by anyone in your tech group, knowledge of it spreads to you. So by 1515 or so we'll have all of Europe knowing about what Britain and Castille had discovered by 1465. You can observe see what any nation has in tech levels by looking at page 2 in the Ledger. Generally speaking, the AI will get the second NI in the 1490s.

If Portugal were to start colonizing, I'd just have to start kicking their asses as well.

Amob_m_s said:
Seconded. Some of us read Alternate History/Historical Fiction novels, and consider EU3 an extension of that- our way of creating alternate history without having to write a whole book. And, if we choose to share this alternate history via AAR, what's the problem?

Personally, I prefer a gameplay based AAR. It is just what appeals to me. When I try to decide whether to read an AAR or not, I see if there are any screenshots within 2 posts or so, if there aren't, I know it won't be for me. Some popular AARs have no references at all to the game they claim to be AARs of. I don't really understand that sort of thing, but people are bound to prefer different things. Let's all get along shall we?

New update coming in a while!

Last edited:
New World War 3: 1479-1480 - The Blitz

By the end of the 148th decade, Piracy was becoming a major concern in the New World, and something most experts predict will continue to be a problem for many years to come. With the exception of one previously captured Pirate Carrack, the British Navy is just a whole bunch of Cogs.

piracyhz3.jpg

In the middle of 1480, Great Britain reached stability level one again, for the first time since the Irish wars. In the minds of many British citizens, especially those in the high command, it had become a matter of pride to not have to be at a high level of stability to run the nation successfully. Thus, a way to reduce the stability level was sought. It didn't take long at all before someone suggested that perhaps it would be fun to declared war on Castille again, just to see what would happen this time. Castille at this point has 4 colonies on the American continent: Acadia and Unamakik in the North East, as well as Cartagena and Antioquía on the northern coast of South America.

By the end of 1480 British ships were in position at the coast of Cartagena, and a British army was ready on the Acadian border, ready to charge across and claim it for Great Britain. And so, war was declared in the middle of December. The planned landing in Cartagena immediately ran into trouble though, as a strong Castillian naval force located and attempted to sink the landing party.

navaloopsbi1.jpg

The retreat was immediately ordered before any ships were lost. Within a week the adjacent sea zone was reached, where the invasion force was ordered to disembark into the nearby province of Magdalena, from where it was to march south into Castillian territory.

magdalenank7.jpg

In the North things were going according to plan at first. The British force flooded into Acadia and quickly siezed it, but soon ran into trouble as they were about to cross the Cabot Strait to Unamakik. However, the most powerful naval constallation to date was ready for that, and so 2 captured Pirate Carracks and 4 cogs overwhelmed the lone transport vessel that blocked the strait, and so by late February, Unamakik and its 800 citizens was also in British hands.

unamakikzg7.jpg

While our South American force is fighting it out with the Castillians over Cartagena, back in Europe, a well tested strategy from the past is applied once again - a cavalry force is sent through Castille to capture Navarra. Some would claim it never worked those times it was tested in the past, but the British high command couldn't care less. It's just too much fun to send 3000 men and horses across an entire country to lay siege to a mountain.

navarrasiegedz0.jpg

While Antioquía fell into British hands on the 8th of March, when the time the Castillian force that had retreated there from Cartagena arrived on March 12, the natives of that province decided it was a good time to rise up and kill all the settlers in the province, just on general principle.

antioquiafq3.jpg

Not much was to happen the rest of the year as the war waged on. The end of November seeing the siege of Navarra complete, just a week or so before a large Castillian force was due to arrive. Some reinforcements were immediately ordered to ship from Ireland down to Navarra, which was to be our springboard into Castille for the duration of the war, since most of the Castillian army was focused in the west.

navarratakenti7.jpg

By March 8,000 more British troops had reached the Iberian penninsula by boat into Navarra. Not seeing the need for any more troops, the King of Great Britain and Western Surroundings - as he now styled himself - sent an offer of peace to Navarra. 50 gold went into the British coffers, and everyone congratulated themselves on a job well done, as the massive siege of the Castillian capital went underway.

siegecastilleli5.jpg

Two spies were dispatched to hurry the siege along, and after just a couple of months the news reached Britain that the Castillian capital had fallen. All of Britain felt sure this war had reached it's end now, the Castillians were sure to come begging for peace.

castilletakenpeaceww1.jpg

Oh.

Last edited:
Great update Moquel, a nice virgin update unread and uncommented on except for me.

MWHAHAHAHA

Don't you hate when your allies are to lily livered to stand up for your rights!

Looks like you are going to need someone to help the Portugese out - any chance of a general Arthur Wellesey?

Also, do you have plans for when the Portugese start colonising? I think a preemptive diplovasselisation might be in order.

Remember Moquel, the reason that the "sun never set on the British Empire" had far more to do with the Royal Navy then the Red-Coated infantry. Keep a strong navy if you truly plan to make America the large of the British Isles. :D

WhisperingDeath said:
Remember Moquel, the reason that the "sun never set on the British Empire" had far more to do with the Royal Navy then the Red-Coated infantry. Keep a strong navy if you truly plan to make America the large of the British Isles. :D

Bah! Why need a navy when you can have guys dressed as lobsters to sit on the Spanish? :D

Of course, with an ally like Portugal, you will need most of them for expeditionary work.

note: this usually gets several replies within 24 hours, thus either A) reviving the thread or B) providing someone to proclaim an end to this thread. Here we go:

ECHO...ECHO...ECHO...ECHO...ECHO...ECHO...ECHO...

Please don't let this aar die, Moquel! It's my favorite EU3 aar and inspired me to write my own. It'd be a shame... such an interesting premise, to keep the Americas British :)

Yes, this AAR was a favourite of mine going in and I would really like to see more of it.

Ahhh, the old "Echo..." trick works like a charm once again. :cool:

And, yeah, I'd like to see this AAR go on too. (But if its not, at least having an obituary post to let us readers know its over would be ok I guess.)

Dont let this aar Die out please

Originally Posted by t0m
Arthur Wellesey?

the harry potter guy?

Dear me t0m, location the Toon really! are you sure you're not from Sunderland? :D

Arthur Wellesey - Duke of Wellington - A well known writer of humourous AARs - also owner of the postal address: Number 1, London (How cool is that!), appears as a minor character in the TV series 'Sharpe', may have done other things...

And Moquel start updating or at least 'fess up that this is over, we'll still love you, just a bit less...