• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Amob_m_s

Major
9 Badges
Jan 14, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
Alternative History Pack

For months now, I have been working on a few projects, mostly for personal enjoyment, involving alternative outcomes for World War One. In one, Serbia rises to power in the Balkans, while Britain and Russia decline. In another, Austria destroys Russia and Italy, while France and Britain are forced to the peace table. These are both still WIP, but have evolved from personal projects to full mods, enjoyable (I hope) for others besides myself. This pack, when completed, will include these two scenarios, plus any others I create in the meantime, as well as any scenarios you submit for inclusion. It aims to be a comprehensive collection of the alternative World War 2 scenarios for HoI.

Please, submit any alternative history scenarios you have to me: either PM me for an email address or put it up for download. Note: This includes abandoned projects- I can finish it for you.

Currently included scenarios:

The Serbian Empire
In this scenario, the Allied powers crushed the Central Alliance in World War 1, generally. Serbia swept through Bosnia and Croatia, barely being beaten to Wien by Russia. Germany invaded and devastated much of Britain, but before the Brits folded, France broke through to Berlin, taking a good chunk of Germany in the peace deals.

Russia, having annexed a large swath of territory, collapsed in 1935 into ethnic civil war, as seperatists of many non-Russian nationalities (Kyrgyz, Hungarian, Siberian, Byelorussian, Finnish, etc) fought for freedom. When the dust settled over the next few years, all that was left was a small, isolationist core led by a somewhat paranoid Czar, fearful of involving himself any further in international politics.

Meanwhile, in the 20s, Britain found itself beset by two underestimated enemies in the Irish and Afghans. Caught in two brutal wars, much of the Empire was sold, ceded, or set free, and now, Britain is a debt-ridden shadow of it's past.

Serbia, on the other hand, newly powerful, used the weight of it's Austrian annexations to bring other Balkan nations into an alliance, which soon became a blatant front for annexation efforts. The Serbs and their new rivals, a powerful Greek merchant state, have bought much of the British Empire, spreading their influence around the world.

Greece, the neighbor, also benefited from an Ionian revolt in Turkey, with Greeks flocking to the once-Muslim region to fight for the rebels. These rebels achieved independence, before quickly being annexed into the Greek state.

In Germany, a former general rose to power in 1929, calling for revenge against the French and the Serbs. After his assassination, his second-in-command, a charismatic but brutal man traumatized by his parents' deaths in the French blitz across Germany in the Great War, took over, leading a coup d'etat in Italy almost immediately to create the New Central Alliance.

Two crises will bring the Allies, Serbian Alliance, and New Central Alliance to war. First, the Wien Republic, the Austrian homeland occupied by Russia in the war and now a Serbian puppet, is invaded by the Germans. Second, Spain collapses in Civil War, and strong intervention by many major powers leads to a the declaration of war.

The Austrian Empire
In this scenario, the Austrians quickly armed a huge force after Ferdinand's assassination, leading a massive charge against the Serbs and Russians before crushing Italy. With the Eastern Front broken and two powerful enemies shifting hundreds of thousands of soldiers westward, France and Britain, though not defeated, paid tribute in exchange for peace.

Tensions between the still-defiant Allies and the powerful Central Alliance rose throughout the 20s. Germany strongly opposed a the French annexation of Belium following a shady coup d'etat there; France strongly opposed Austria forcing Greece to cede land to Bulgaria; and so on. It seemed that war would resume before the end of the decade, but in 1929, a pan-European self-rule movement erupted into violence, reminiscent of the 1848 rebellions. The major powers put aside their bickering for a while to fight internal enemies. Many rebellions were crushed, but a good number held out: an Irish revolt which spread to Scotland, pro-Greek revolts in Bulgarian Thessolonica, pro-Italian revolts in Austrian Lombardia, a Baltic rebellion against Russia, and others.

In 1932, after three years of war, a Concord was signed in Copenhagen, allowing for the return of peace. Some of the newly-formed states:

Gaelia- this union of Scotland and Ireland grew from a small revolt in Dublin in '27. Over time, propagandists spread the slogan of "Celtic Union" across Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and even Brittany, and the revolutionary armies performed well on all fronts, leading to independence. They got a favorable deal in the Concord, and Britain only signed under protest once it was clear that the rest of Europe would sign.

Holy Kingdom of Poland and Republic of Semitic Poland- Most of Poland was ceded to Austria and Germany after the Great War; however, many Poles moved east into Russian before the armies arrived, and so a strong Polish area emerged. In 1929, a strong uprising of Poles took control, but soon the two major religious groups- Catholic and Jewish- set about killing one another, leading to two revolutionary states. Their independence was recognized and peace concluded with Russia in 1930, but the northern Holy Kingdom (under descendants of the old Polish royalty) and the southern Semitic Republic continued to fight. After a horrendous amount of religious cleansing, peace was reached in the Concord, though the Jews protested the pro-Kingdom borders drawn.

Livonia- Livonia is comprised of Lithuanians, Latvijags, and Estonians who fought for independence from Russia. Like the two Polands, they were recognized early on, but soon resumed the war over claims in the north and south. In 1932, the borders were finally drawn- while losing some land in the center, they gained in Estonia and Lithuania.

Thrace- The European holdings of Turkey revoltedin 1930. They never had great military success, but the Turks never managed to invade either, and the Christian writers of the Concord probably liked having Thrace as a buffer- though Muslims still held a majority, Christians comprised a strong minority, enough to prevent any anti-Christian actions in Parliament.

With the Concord signed, a period of quiet descended upon Europe. Outside of Poland (where non-government-supported "militias" continued to force Jews southward and Papists northward- or saved them the trouble by killing them), peace was the norm, and the continent rebuilt. Quietly, however, Britain began arming for war against Gaelia. Equally quietly, Germany began funding the Gaelic Army, while Austria worked to strengthen Livonia for future conflict with Russia.

In 1940, Britain discovered the extent of German support for Gaelia, and began calling for war. France restrained them, but there was no doubt that war was inevitable. Later that year, a coup in the Netherlands, much like the earlier Belgian coup, attempted to turn the nation into a French annex. Germany was furious, and invaded the Netherlands, attempting to reinstall the old government. France declared war, followed by an eager Britain. Gaelia and Austria supported Germany. By January 41, Russia had rejoined the Allies, and Bulgaria and Livonia entered the Central Alliance. It was time for war.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I will also try to include the Fantasia mod, currently in German and somewhat incomplete, in the pack. It still needs translation to English and a tech overhaul, but will make a fine addition to the Pack when finished.

Again, if you have any scenarios, even partly finished, or any ideas for scenarios, please tell me. Comments are also welcome, of course. I'll keep you updated on the status (for the record, it's below 25% at the moment for the Austrian Empire; for the Serbian Empire 40%)

Till then,

Amob Out.

Okay, here's a little teaser, just something to show that I have some progress going. These are some maps I made up in paint when developing the Austrian Empire Scenario:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the base map, at the start of the Great War in 1914:

Europe1914.jpg

Here is the situation at the end of the Great War in 1916:

Europe1916.jpg

Austria annexes: Serbia, part of Poland, Lombardia, and Venezia

Germany annexes: Lorraine, part of Poland, and Lithuania

Bulgaria annexes: Macedonia and Thessalonica

Ottoman Empire annexes: Krete

Kosovo is given independence, they are friendly with Austria and bring Albania closer to the Central Powers as well.

Here's the situation after the self-determination rebellions of the late '20s have gotten underway:

Europe1929.jpg

The new states of Livonia, Kingdom of Poland, Republic of Poland, Thrace, and Krete are already recognized to some degree, either from a ceasefire signed with their former overlords, or by international recognition. The border between the Polands is a hotly contested area, with major civilian tragedies occuring frequently. Meanwhile, much of the West is engulfed in the pan-Gaelic revolt of 1928, which would break the UK and give France a run for its money. Meanwhile, Belgians, while largely complicit with France, often try to assert historical precedent for Luxembourgian rule of border areas. Add a few other revolts, and you get a fairly messed-up Europe.

And here is the results of the 1932 Concord of Copenhagen. Note that I never got around to update the Key. Here's what it means:

States in all yellow are brand new, created by the Concord. This includes Gaelia, Osel, and Catalunya.

Regions outlined in yellow but filled in a normal nation color are regions changing hands, not given independence. This includes large areas near Livonia and Bessarabia, as well as areas now part of Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, and Christian (Kingdom) Poland.

Europe1932Concord.jpg

You can see that Russia is once again collapsing, and violence continues in Poland and Spain. Note, significantly, that the results of the Concord force the Central Alliance to give up some gains from the Great War. Also note that violence is beginning to flood over into a weakening Germany, which cannot fully quell independence movements in it's Polish lands.

Hurrah a New Hoi1 mod !

Excellent stuff,i was just thinking about this thread the other day and was wondering why no one had commented or taken you up on your generous offer to finish and complete mods for them.

Ah yes a nice alternative history mod!Looking forward to it something fresh. :cool:

Catalan's but no Basques?

Are you modding on CORE or Vanilla?And is your start date still 36 or earlier?

Glad to see you continuing your project.

doc.gif

I was planning on starting my scenarios at 1936, just for familiarity reasons. It's a nice point to start a scenario if your war is going to start between 1937 and 1941, because it gives enough time to prepare while not dragging the interbellum period out forever.

I'm modding on vanilla, I just prefer it as a platform for some reason.

And I am continuing on the project, but slowly. I'm also busy with small mods for EU3, as well as working on an AAR megacampaign (haven't started writing yet but I've still got 800 years of gameplay to get through :wacko: ) and generally playing EU3 and HoI, so this is kind of a "side project" in that I work on it when I'm bored with the others. It's also kind of slow because there are a few huge event chains for these scenarios, expecially the Serbian Empire one in which I have a huge Russian Civil War with over 10 different peace treaties to code for, as well as the indirect involvement of many other nations. It's a lot of work, and proofreading takes forever. But I am making progress, and I don't think this will fizzle like some mods do. :)

There are some errors in this map.

The first thing that I saw was that northern Schleswig-Holstein (Kolding province in-game) is not a part of Germany, although it was at the time in real life.

Secondly, Elsaß-Lothringen was already a part of Germany before 1914, so why would the Germans re-annex a territory already a part of Germany?

Also I have a question. Is this Livonian state Indo-European, or are the actual Livonians (a Finnic people and original inhabitants of the entire area - nowadays on the brink of extinction due to Stalin's genocides) running the government, or do they at least have some considerable power?