• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well done! I am enjoying this for (slightly) nostalgic reasons as England was my first nation played in EU3. Some advice from my own experience: avoid Royal marriages as they can get you into a lot of trouble. In my game, I inherited the Austrian Crown! This lead to major Continental entaglements and I was rarely at peace for the remainder of the game. Although by the end I did own all of Europe and most of Africa and the Middle East - but I wasn't looking for a game of "world conquest". Like you I was planning a "colonizing" game. Good luck! ;)

BTW - I would suggest some colonies near the Aztecs as taking their "gold" provinces are really helpful! Also, what are your thoughts for your next National Idea? [Keep Deus Vult! in mind - it really helps in the wars against the natives.] Also, don't forget the Cape of Good Hope and points East. If, that is, you want to get the East India Company Event at some point.

Slickly done! (especially the Great Calais Swindle).

One piece of advice - do not allow Castille to get any of the colonies in your target area up to city size, or you will face a long, hard and deeply tedious stuggle to make them face reality. It might be worth taking out the Creek before the Spanish have the same idea. Also the AI tends to build a lot of ships. England expects, and all that!

Feedback and a farewell

EmprorCoopinius said:
I like the start and the vision, good job kicking Spain out of the Caribbean....but I doubt you'll be able to do it indefinitely, just try to colonize strategic spots to keep them locked out of the larger landmasses. Looking forward to more.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I can keep Castille out, just as long as I don't have to keep many more countries out. The AI usually only gets 3 or 4 colonies running at a time, tries to expand them to cities and then get more. Since I won't ever let them get to city status, I think it can be very doable. Especially since it makes the AI never get a real incentive to establish a large military presence there.

PrawnStar said:
Is Castile the only other country to take QftNW in the first round of ideas?
Yes, which makes this a whole lot easier. 2 would make it difficult but manageable, 3 would get very hairy very fast, mostly due to the constant stab hits and WE I'd be facing, fighting 3 wars every 6 or 7 years.

BBBD316 said:
My only confusion with the killing of the natives was the fact that you had troops in the region and I thought like EU2 if you took a colony from 800 to 900 and it had natives it automatically converted them to city status.
That happens at 1000 inhabitants in EU3, and a native attack would be devastating in the 2 years or so it might take me to get from 700 to 1000.

WhisperingDeath said:
Also, what are your thoughts for your next National Idea? [Keep Deus Vult! in mind - it really helps in the wars against the natives.] Also, don't forget the Cape of Good Hope and points East. If, that is, you want to get the East India Company Event at some point.
For my next NI there are a couple of options. I'm a little torn between Colonial Ventures (+1 colonists), Viceroys and Deus Vult. At the moment, as I've got a steady supply of spies (+0.2/year), which for the cost of 100 ducats will give me that Casus Belli I need, so Deus Vult doesn't seem that good.
It's close between Colonial Ventures and Viceroys. That extra colonist would be great. On the other hand, it would be great if I could afford to send him anywhere.

As for the East India company. Yeah, it is a good event, but it would require me to get involved in a very different theater to get the event to fire. Currently, I don't really have the resources for it, and I doubt I will for a long time.

merrick said:
One piece of advice - do not allow Castille to get any of the colonies in your target area up to city size, or you will face a long, hard and deeply tedious stuggle to make them face reality.
City size means I can't make them entirely English. I'll not have any of that nonsense on my continent, thank you! ;)

basharious said:
Do you have a set date?!
For america to be entirely mine? No, not really. I expect I will have the continent under control entirely if I focus only there by 1600, but I have no idea if that will be the case. At which point, it might be time to consider whether or not Eurasia and Africa aren't also supposed to be entirely English... ;)

All of you: Thank you for reading and your comments, they are very appreciated :)

I'll go write an update now, but unfortunately, I must report that it will be the last one for 2 weeks or so, as I tomorrow leave for a 2 week vacation in Italy. :cool:
I will be back and updating in the first days of August though. In the meantime, I hope someone comes up with a clever recommendation for which NI to choose next.

Internal affairs, international business

On 1 of June 1467, for the first time, the event any colonizer wishes for occurred for the first time since 1453. Colonial expansion! For a price equivalent to sending 1 or 2 colonists, we instantly get 200 more population in a colony, an extra colonist, and on top of that, a bonus to colonist chance and cost. In short, if this event could happen, oh I dont know, every month, Great Britain would be the richest nation on earth by 1480.

colexpfy4.jpg

On a related note, a colony that really should expand is Delaware. Here, following a native attack, two people are responsible for producing 1.22 ducats worth of Tobacco each year. If I could just expand this colony with one thousand equally productive colonists, it would be richer than France!

delawareaw6.jpg

In October 1467 the first city on the American mainland was established. Powhatan was to get this greatest of honor. It was also the first City in the New World formed so far, that had never been settled by another colonial nation. It stands as a fine testament to English entreprenourship.

2ndcityod9.jpg

As late November rolls around, an envoy from Portugal reaches us. Appearantly, Portugal has declared war on Morocco. Clearly, the king of Great Britain reasons, this is a war best fought by anyone except us. However, war taxes are a very fine thing to collect, and peace settlements are also a nice thing to recieve. And so, we join Portugal in their endeavour, explaining to our people as we take more of their money than we usually dare, that fighting Morocco is of utmost importance to all the people of Great Britain. Meanwhile, our troops steer clear of anything African.

wartaxesji4.jpg

We're not the richest nation on earth by any standard yet, as we can see by the above image, but as we reach Production level 1, we'll take a big step in the right direction.

The next year or so went past without incident. Appearantly, Great Britain was fighting a war in Morocco, but strangely enough, no Britons anywhere seemed to know anyone fighting it. In September of 1468 however, it became appearent that Great Britain was no doubt winning the war however, as they settled for peace, for the price of 50 ducats.

peacemaroccorw3.jpg

New Years Day, 1469, our research finally paid off. Production technology level 1 was reached. A significant portion of the yearly census taxes would not be directed towards construction workshops all over the island of Great Britain, even minting some money specifically to do this.

prodlevel1dt4.jpg

In 1470 we had a chance to move a slider again. The King considered it for a long time, an advisor standing in front of him with something that looked like a huge abacus with 8 rows of beads, and little lables on the left and right ends of each row. The whole thing seemed stupid to the King, but he couldn't find anyone better for the job to replace his advisor. So, there he was, a terrified mouse in his hand, poking at the rows of the abacus gently, one by one, with it, at which time his advisor would say what would happen if he were to move the beads on that particular row. For the budding colonial empire that Great Britain was becoming, as soon as he heard what moving the beads on the 6th row from the top one step to the right, he decided that was the one to go for. He desperately wanted to wash his hand anyway.

navalmoveqz1.jpg

In 1470, it was plain to see that the Castillians were about to become a problem in the Caribbean again. Martinique would soon reach level 7, and noticing that war exhaustion was high in Castille already, after a long war with Morocco, followed by a war still raging in Italy, this seemed like a good time to attack.

spainwegk5.jpg

And so, the second war between the English and Spanish began, but there was no doubt in anyone's mind. It would not the last.

Nice update! Beware the inflation monster!! Also, I am one who wonders about the efficacy of slider changes given the stability cost. Over the long term, I think the math shows that you are better off staying at +3 stability (when you get there) versus any advantage to a slider change.

Have a great time in Italy! I always do! :D

Bastard!
1. For going on holidays
2. For going to Italy, damn continent hopping bastards. Sometimes it really is a pain to be stuck out is Australia.

Good work

The bit with the sliders is excellent - and it's pretty much how I feel about it as well :)

Enjoy your holiday.

Moquel said:
So, there he was, a terrified mouse in his hand, poking at the rows of the abacus gently, one by one, with it, at which time his advisor would say what would happen if he were to move the beads on that particular row. For the budding colonial empire that Great Britain was becoming, as soon as he heard what moving the beads on the 6th row from the top one step to the right, he decided that was the one to go for. He desperately wanted to wash his hand anyway.

Heh. :D

Very interesting AAR. I'll keep reading. :)

A Quick War Before the Siesta

With Castillian War Exhaustion nearly in the double digits, it seemed clear to the British leadership that a war to grab the 3 spanish colonies that had sprung up since the last war; Martinique, with 600 colonists, and Essequibo with 300. While Martinique was the largest, it was still a year or so from being a completely ripe target.

coloniesprewardu1.jpg

However, the decision was made to make preparations for war immediately. Military spending was hiked up to 100% in late June 1470 and after 2 months of waiting, war was declared in September, giving the morale of our armies 3 months to reach near-peak condition. The British expeditionary force stationed in Portugal, while only 3000 cavalry strong, was immediately sent east to lay siege to the Castillian capital, the British high command sure that whatever force Castille could muster, would be waiting in the South of the country, hopefully on the other side of the Gibraltar Strait, given that peace had just been made between Castile and Morocco. And so a morning in late October, a small regiment of Spaniards are driven out of Castilla la Veija, and the siege of the capital is begun. The Portugese are less interested in the capital of Castille. Their interests lie in Castillian Capital instead. On that same morning, word reaches Britain that the Portugese have taken control of Andalucia.

andaluciatakentv5.jpg

Meanwhile, an amphibious landing is performed successfully in Essequibo, driving the Castillians out of that province, and claiming it for the British. An amphibious force is also made ready for the upcoming conquest of Martinique, but it is delayed for a few months, waiting for 100 colonists due to arrive from Castille, boosting the population of the province to 700. As the New Year of 1471 was celebrated (or would have been if only the a new year hadn't begun on March 25 in Great Britain for the past 900 years and would continue to be for 280 years more to come) a landing in Martinique was finally carried out. During the ensuing battle between the invading British and defending Castillians however, some natives saw it fit to burn most of the colony, reducing it's size to half what it had been.

destroyedmartiniquemo3.jpg

Meanwhile in Iberia, things are starting to look alot worse. The Castillians are arriving in force from the south. A large army is marching on Andalucia, and it is obvious to most that the Portugese will be unable to hold it, and it is equally clear the siege of the Capital is not to succeed.

battleofcastillefk2.jpg

The army is quickly ordered to retreat towards Portugal, in the hope that a larger Portugese force will soon be setting out to lay siege to western Castille. However, the British command is soon to be dissappointed, as Portugal stabs Britain in the back in the late summer of 1471. Or maybe it is wrong to call it backstabbing. That would imply they are using a weapon, and I'm pretty sure the entire point of making peace would be to not use weapons any more.

Peace offers are sent to the Castillians from the British camp as well, though all are rejected, Castille appearantly wanting to deal with losing a war fought exclusively on their soil and a 10% war exhaustion instead of paying up 50 ducats for peace.

By spring of 1472 the British command is really not entirely sure what to do to bring this war to an end, but then an ingenious plan is hatched! Where is the last place the Castillians would come to expect a rather weak all-cavalry army based in Portugal to lay siege to a city? You guessed it! It's not even in Castille!

gotonavarranl9.jpg

In the meantime, the Castillians, appearantly not really interested defending northern Iberia at all, have decided to set up some more colonies instead. A colony is found to have been established in Itamarca, on the eastern tip of South America, and another attempt is underway nearby. The brave men of the 1st Army are sent there by ship to put the colonies under British control.

itamarcawr0.jpg

As sometimes happens with ingenious plans, it turns out they are called ingenious because there is nothing genial about them. A huge Castillian force marches up from the south soon after the siege of Navarra has begun, and so the retreat is once again ordered, back towards the safety of Portugal. Meanwhile in America, the establishment of a second mainland colony by castille in Rio Grande fails, but suddenly our transport fleet is under attack. We can hardly believe our luck, 8 cogs facing off against 1 Caravel. The outcome is clearly going to be in our favor. The Castillian ship is sunk, and it's Explorer captain is sent to the bottom of the sea with it.

navalbattlejl6.jpg

By the middle of May 1473 so many attempts at peace had rejected, though the war was clearly not going the way of Castille, that the King was growing more and more concerned with the unreasonable the Castillian refusals of our peace offers. He couldn't help but wonder what could make them so confident they would rather keep the war going than hand over some gold. Soon the King was to learn why they were so stubborn. The Castillians had a plan. A master plan. A plan so ingenious a smart person never would have thought of it.

invadeirelandtx8.jpg

The Castillians established yet another caribbean colony that year, in St. Kitts, which the British were quick to claim as their own, and while they were there, they noticed someone was building houses on the nearby island of Antigua. The British Conquistador in charge let them finish, before sailing over there and claiming that island too in the name of Britain.

kittsantigualc5.jpg

As february of 1474 approached, the situation was getting more and more desperate. There was nobody who wanted this war any more. There was nothing to gain from it, and a war like this can as everyone knows only be maintained at the expense of some especially miserable peasants, who by now were getting sick and tired of war taxes. As a last ditch efford the decision was made to try and capture Navarra again. Castillian spies must have gotten wind of this plan however, for their master King Felipe I was so deeply shook by this news that he offered a white peace the very next day.

whitepeaceek1.jpg

The British were quick to accept. 4 years was long enough for a war that should have been over by christmas.

Got back from Italy a couple of days ago, and figured it was about time to bring life back to this thing. I hope I've still got some readers left, and if I don't, I hope I'll get some new ones ;)

The next update will probably feature our first war against some natives in the west. Though, I won't tell you just how far west...

GOD SAVE THE KING! (if, indeed, you have one right now, and not a Queen.)

Surely the Americas shall be yours!

Hope you enjoyed your holiday, nice update, good to see you back.

If you want to limit Portugal from colonising, which they will do sooner or later, then you could try letting them lose a war against Castile and then diplovasselising. Really seems to limit their empire building.

Welcome back! Although (I find) it is always hard (and sad) to leave Italy! I take solace in returning one day. :D

Anyway, nice of Castille to build up the British colonial Empire! KUTGW!

nice idea for an AAR - i'll be reading it!