• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You won't believe it, but I'm picking this AAR up again. Expect an update tomorrow!

Real life took me away for a few weeks, then Napoleon's Ambition came out and the saves for this AAR just weren't playable anymore. But now it's time to pick it up again. I am currently reinstalling EU3 without Nappy, just to finish this AAR.

You all must be so excited! ;)

Moquel said:
You won't believe it, but I'm picking this AAR up again. Expect an update tomorrow!

Real life took me away for a few weeks, then Napoleon's Ambition came out and the saves for this AAR just weren't playable anymore. But now it's time to pick it up again. I am currently reinstalling EU3 without Nappy, just to finish this AAR.

You all must be so excited! ;)

Excellent news! :) More than I would've done just for an AAR, certainly. And don't worry about the wait, I did the same for my AAR for a while when my saves weren't working (a bug, not NA update sadly).

Now go smack some Spaniards! ;)

........hmmmmmm.........could be interesting........however, I wonder if "restarting" an AAR is the same as "returning" to an AAR? I am a little confused by your post. Will you be starting over (a "new" AAR with the same theme) or do you have a saved game from which you can continue the old AAR (and game)? Either way - I'll give it a try. :p

WhisperingDeath said:
........hmmmmmm.........could be interesting........however, I wonder if "restarting" an AAR is the same as "returning" to an AAR? I am a little confused by your post. Will you be starting over (a "new" AAR with the same theme) or do you have a saved game from which you can continue the old AAR (and game)? Either way - I'll give it a try. :p

I'm 99% sure he's continuing the same savegame, judging from his use of "picking up" (you can't exactly pick something up that doesn't yet exist, so I doubt he's starting a new game)

Moquel said:
Yay! Can't wait!

Just registed so I could post in this topic asking you to resume your AAR ;). I started my own similar game recently, but in some ways it was both more and less ambitious than your own:

You see, instead of using England I chose the one-province minor of *Tyrone* to pursue my conquest of the New World. The concept was that the king of Tyrone took one look at the map of Europe, said to heck with that mess, and decided that the future of his kingdom would have to be staked on finding new lands to the west. With that in mind I haven't conquered anything in Europe, not even in Ireland (although at a certain point I just decided to take Iceland since my ally Sweden, whom I had been using for war taxes purposes, had conquered Scandinavia and I just wanted to finish off Norway by taking those two colonies, but this was at about year 1550). I started off my fledgling empire with a colony in Greenland, but I have grown into so much more.

I had to give myself a bit for me to pull this off (I'm still learning the ropes, at least as far as dealing with Europe), so I made colonists and missionaries free for everyone, made discoveries spread only after 100 years (both features in NA), and also I had to restart a few times because the majors wouldn't leave me alone long enough to establish a city in the New World (which were the only times I reloaded, of course), but now I'm in the year 1600 and my massive empire stretches from (former) lands of the Iroquois and Huron all the way down to the recently conquered Portuguese colonies in South America, which were huge but almost completely ungarrisoned and fortified, since France took over the Portuguese homeland (total luck there!). The only non-Tyrone lands remaining belong to England (all of Canada, now actually being completely occupied by France, who prior to this had no presence in the New World), Inca (I'll get around to it soon, but no other powers have any land access to them anymore), and Spanish Brazil (too much trouble to invade Spain right now to take them away, since even with most of the Americas my manpower is only 20k max for now!). Obviously, I didn't force myself to insure that the Americas were all Irish culture, but in fairness I don't think it would have been possible for Tyrone to prevent the other powers from colonizing into cities!

The early game was by far the hardest, since even with free colonists I was too poor to do anything but explore and colonize, no troops or ships for me! Even without any military I still had to mint and take loans in order to afford explorers/conquistadores in anything approaching a timely manner, and fighting pirates was out of the question, even though their blocades severely curtailed my income and made further colonization much harder, due to NA rules about colonization range. It took a very long time for my economy to grow large even with a number of rich colonies, since I was getting basically nothing in census taxes until I got cores on my colonies, and even then having my entire empire separated from my capital by thousands of miles cut down alot (even with Viceroys, since in NA Viceroys give 30% but the penalty is 50%). A long ways down the road, I finally managed to relocate my capital to Santee, and eventually I'll move it to Panama (the natural seat of any Empire of the Americas!)

I managed to keep the peace by cunningly marrying with all of my neighbors (but I had to wait a few years because if you do it before they've married anyone else they just claim throne and invade) and by playing them off of each other. The Ireland situation became much simpler when I backed Brittany and they conquered everything besides me and English Meath. I kept England and Scotland off of my back with military access treaties and gifts (as soon as I could afford it), and managed to ally wisely (read: backed the winning sides in wars). Anyways now I am by far the richest power in the world and am looking forward to completing my conquest of the New World and expanding my new lands in Africa (obtained from Portugal). Oh yeah... and it looks like I just entered a personal Union with England, but I'm the country in charge :cool: . I guess inheriting England wouldn't be so bad, since after all I'm not playing with such strict requirements as you seem to be, and in any case Britain *is* an island so technically I still would have no European continent possessions.

Don't mean to seem like I'm hijacking your thread, just wanted to share a somewhat similar experience and tell you to keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to seeing your next moves, you've obviously got a better handle on how to deal with the AI than I do (which is why I wanted to avoid European entanglements completely in my game, and as for keeping the peace that I think was just luck ;) *)! Resume this AAR ASAP, the King of Tyrone *demands* it! Now, doesn't that strike terror into your heart?

*(Okay, maybe luck and having nothing that anybody outside of the British Isles wanted for the first 50 years, at least that they could see)

Last edited:
Jolly Good.

I guess there is some point to having a huge list of subscribed threads that haven't had updates in a while after all.

Now if you'd be so kind as to do a recap please :p

New World War 3: 1481-1483 - Red Herring

Previously on America: Largest of the British Isles

Some guy decided America should be entirely British in culture, so then some other guy thought it would be a good idea to send some people over to America and then more or less constantly try to stop Castille from beating up Portugal completely. If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry, it doesn't necessarily mean you're stupid, because I don't understand it either.

And now the conclusion [size=-3]to the current war[/size]

For the next few months, envoys to Castille were being sent, asking for peace. Severely outnumbered on the Iberian penninsula, the British High Command was becoming increasingly worried the Portugese would make peace with Castille, resulting in the full 40 divisions of Castillian might turning against the British 11 divisions. In the meantime, while occasionally making forays out to neighboring provinces to beat up the small Castillian forces stationed there, the British force stayed put in Castilla la Veija, fighting off the occasional half-hearted assault.

battleforcastillaqd9.jpg

While most Brits were concerning themselves with trying to support their troops on foreign soil by inventing air conditioning and crude prototype sombreros, a letter was received at the British court from some enterprising young sargeant in early July. The sargeant in question let the King know that, if it was alright with him, he'd like permission to go across the Cabot Strait and redecorate the place the Spaniards had set up on the other side.

2newcolonieshq0.jpg

The King was quick to dictate a letter.

From: The King of Britain, Ireland and that big old rock on the other side of the Ocean
To: Some sargeant in the 1st Army

Right-o good chap! Go forth and plunder! As for redecorating, anything you find on that side of the puddle, that isn't red, go right ahead and paint it red for me.

Ten days later, 200 people, all claiming to be skilled with a paintbrush, asked the King for 30 ducats to buy red paint with.

colonialexpansionvr1.jpg

In August, the province of Santee had been in British hands for quarter of a century. Appearantly, that means it is considered ours for real. As if anyone apart from suicidal spaniards would contest our supremacy over anything at all on that side of the big ocean.

santeecoredt8.jpg

On September 1st, the fish producing province of Innu turns red, and Francis Smith dies. Our 6-star Government advisor will be sorely missed. 30 years into the game, and the advisors are starting to die. From now on, we'll probably have to settle for the lesser of who cares, but for now there's still some good people laying around. We hire a good diplomat to help reduce our badboy.

newadvisorum9.jpg

Towards the end of the year, the war in Iberia is reaching something of a stalemate. We put some more Irish troops into Lisboa by sea to help defend the capital, and in the meantime we send one of our larger armies north to chase down a small Castillian army low on morale. Meanwhile, the King has gotten a liking for the Herrings fished and shipped back from Innu.

lisboacp2.jpg

1483 rolled around quietly everywhere except in the treasury where the jingle of coins was so loud it could be heard all the way to Campeche where construction on a fort began. In any future war against Maya or Zapotec, we hope for their armies to get caught in a prolonged siege of that province while we annex them and their capital.

campechezn5.jpg

In early march, the news all of Britain has been waiting for arrives. Castille finally accepted a peace proposal. The High Command of the British Army could finally retreat their armies into Portugal, and start working on a new invasion plan for 5 years from now.

3rdpeaceut8.jpg

Last edited:
Good work!

How long did you have to wait between making peace and the next Castilian colony sprouting? :)

Great to have your story moving again, Moquel. Careful, though, or you'll make me blow the dust off my copy of EU3...

Vann

1483-1484: How the hell did Cortés do it?

Two months after the last in the series of Spanish wars had ended, word reached the King that the money spent on Army R&D was money not at all well spent. Some idiot had just invented the longbow. He tried to hush the whole thing down, praying no veterans of Agincourt, some 70 years previously, were still alive and got wind of this.

armytechwp2.jpg

Later that year, our most talented diplomat died. As soon as he did, our relations with the rest of Christendom improved.

deathpopewh1.jpg

As the year of some Lord, 1483 was ending, news came from the icy land of Sweden, that Denmark was no more. Having previously been carved up by the Pommeranian-Brandenburgian alliance, Sweden had now annexed Sjælland, the last remaining part of that once proud nation.

annexdenmarkfy3.jpg

In the first week and a half of January 1484, we found out that France was now so rich that it felt it was a good investment to spend the entire Census on priests.

cardinalskq9.jpg

A week later, Maya declared war on an ill prepared Britain, her allies Zapotec and Aztec joining in. With only 4000 troops in the region, facing an alliance fielding 30,000 men, there seemed to be no choice but to yet again fight a dirty war.

warmayafa7.jpg

Our small force in the north was sent south to the Zapotec province of Tarasco, separating the Aztec capital Mexico from it's only other province Sayultecas, while our 3000 men strong force close to the Mayan capital would focus on taking the capital and forcing Maya out of the war. Some 1000 additional reinforcements were also called in from Cartagena where they had been stationed since they threw the Castillians out of there in 1481.

By the third week of February, the Mayans had captured Guatemala, but the British in turn, had captured the Mayan capital. The Mayans were quick to surrender their coffers in exchange for peace. A force of 3000 British had thus taken the 9000 strong Mayans out of the war.

mayapeacewx5.jpg

Farther north, however, things were not looking too good. The Aztecs had, without leaving either of it's two provinces unoccupied for the small Cavalry force stationed in now British Sayultecas to quickly capture. The Zapotec were also making gains. Tohancapan was lost, however they had made the fatal mistake of moving their entire army out of the Zapotec.

435yy8.jpg

By early April, we had captured the Zapotec capital, and our northern Cavalry force was close to arriving in Sayultecas and finally capturing it for the glory of Britain. A look at our reputation revealed that it was not necessary to end the war now, with the alliance leader's capital captured. Great Britain could easily afford to capture the 3 remaining non-capital provinces in Central America and, if necessary, soon enough fight yet another colonial war against the Castillians. This, without breaking the reputation limit.

A month later, Tlapanec and Sayultecas had both been claimed for Great Britain, and Mexico itself was now flying the flag of the Union. War with the Aztecs could at this time probably be ended at will. As the Zapotec army was tied up sieging the newly built fortress in Campeche, the order was given to rush after the Aztecs. The hope of the Colonial Army was to recapture the land lost to the Aztecs, and annex them to gain the very valuable province of Mexico, and knocking a fierce rival out of the any future Central American wars.

mexicocapturedut9.jpg

The Zapotecs, meanwhile, detached some of it's army from the siege of Campeche and went on to recapture their capital. A small British detachment was sent to capture the province of Tlaxcala, bringing the Zapotecs down to just the Capital. It was however, becoming clear that the large Aztec army would be too much to take on this time around, and so a peace was forced from them, when they had finally managed to capture our rich trade center in Zacatecas.

aztecpeacehz1.jpg

42 days. That's how long a fortress can hold off a 6000 man army in Central America. With that, it was decided that the war with the Zapotecs should be ended as fast as possible. The British had no infantry at all in Central America, and the Zapotecs still outnumbered the Colonial Army 3 to 2. On the 10th of October, the British had finally managed to get control over the Zapotec capital again, and a peace deal was made with the Zapotecs, 50 more ducats flowing into the British Coffers.

Meanwhile...

newcolonieskb4.jpg

Any bets on what will happen in the next update?

More wars in the Americas? :rolleyes:

There is a European power colonising Canada! Drive them off into the ice waters, I say! :)

Nice update.

I predict a nice round of golf followed by a tea party next and aliens - never forget the aliens