• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent work Moquel.

Is there any sense in
a) sending your explorer West from Iceland and getting North America.
b) letting a revolt happen in Norway and let the province go back to the ice bears?

Expansion and exaspiration

When we last left England they had just ended up with a holding in Scandinavia that they didn't want and were attempting to give it away. Because of various geopolitical reasons, Henry VI wanted to give the province to Sweden rather than Norway, hoping to contribute to the creation of a relatively strong Scandinavian state that does not spend all it's efforts on expanding into the Holy Roman Empire, which a strong Denmark-Norway coalition would be bound to do.

swedenrefuseml2.jpg

Unfortunately, the Swedes refuse to cooperate, most likely expecting some sort of trick on England's part to establish a Casus Belli [[anchorlink=footnote1]*[/anchorlink]]. With no other option really open to him and desperately wishing to get rid of this useless province, Henry VI sees no other options and gives it back to Norway.

sellnorwayoz5.jpg

Henry could now turn his attentiod westward. A second explorer, a man called Arthur de Clifford, was quickly recruited, and sent west from the Azores, allowing Benbow to explore toward the southwest as Clifford explored northwest. On October 9, Richard Benbow finally reported home to England that he had now located Bermuda. It had been close to where he had predicted all along, located in between East Bermuda Sea and West Bermuda Sea. Benbow reported that he and Clifford had employed a new technique to locate it, which he had dubbed triangulation. A colonist is immediately dispatched to Bermuda, and 6 months later on 21 March, 1456 England had established an important springboard towards the new world, a port of their own in the west atlantic.

bermudacw3.jpg

This meant that the explorers no longer had to travel back east across treacherous waters to reach the nearest friendly port in the Azores. Had it not been for the Portugese ambivalence towards colonial matters, it is likely Bermuda would have been absolutely crucial for our colonization effort. But, as it stands now, it is still very practical for our explorers to use as home port.

As 1455 draws to a close and 1456 is about to begin, we discover the american mainland for the first time, the province Unami on the east coast of North America. The discovery is quickly followed by the sighting of Connecticut and Narraganset. Connecticut has a lot of angry natives, living there, and while the natives of Narraganset are friendly, there is not much of value to be found there. Unami, however, has a large colony of beavers that can be hunted for their fur. Seeing a chance to quickly get established on the mainland, a colonist was sent there immediately.

unamigm2.jpg

It is worth noting that Unami is about as far northeast as you want to establish colonies in the beginning of the game, or more specifically, Unami's next door neighbour Manhattan is. From Manhattan and down you will almost exclusively find provinces that produce at the very least Fur (with Cotton, Sugar and Tobacco being thrown in the mix). Also if you move westward you will find more of the same, and northwestward you will find a lot of fur as well. However, New England, Quebec, Labrador and Newfoundland are a drag if you're looking for provincial profits in North America. However, our first attempt at establishing the northern frontier of our overseas empire was not destined to succeed.

unamifailpk0.jpg

At this point our competent explorers had explored further south, and so we made an attempt to establish a colony in Santee instead, a Cotton producing province bordering both Cherokee and Creek, a strategically very important province, that will need to be turned into a city before any war with Cherokee or Creek is attempted.

santeees6.jpg

As the attention of England's ruler is on the continuing exploration of the North American coast, and south into the Caribbean, there is a growing concern at home regarding the state of our fortifications, which results in a big boost of the coffers of England, allowing us to recruit our first Conquistador.

As our conquistador is sent westward to America by ship, our explorers discover the first Spanish settlement in the New World, located on the Caribbean island of Saint Thomas.

stthomasit3.jpg

Our explorer is unable to find more settlements nearby, but he is however skilled enough to find two small shipments of colonists travelling in the Caribbean appearantly on their way to Puerto Rico and Barbados. Our conquistador is sent to the scene, and he quickly explores these two islands to reveal the spanish settlements there, none of them is very big though, so we still have time to establish ourselves before a war is necessary.

3spanishqm1.jpg

The following year not much happens, as exploration continues to dominate things. Settlements are established all over the rich island of Hispaniola, it being a favorite place of the AI to colonize. We also reach stability level 2 during this year, and our research priorities change accordingly, focusing entirely on achieving the first level of production technology.

hispaniolayx2.jpg

Then, tragedy strikes.

newkingyv7.jpg

Our beloved king Henry VI, who had such a great vision for the future of England, is replaced on the throne by his son George I, who, while he is a half-wit of sorts, at least remains true to his father's goal of making America English.

[[anchor=footnote1]*[/anchor]] This is a little exploit a player might employ against a nation he wishes to conquer. By giving away one of the players own provinces to the victim, he gains Casus Belli. The player can then declare war on the nation with few penalties, then take that province and much more back.

Last edited:
Some feedback!

BBBD316 said:
Is there any sense in
a) sending your explorer West from Iceland and getting North America.
Yes and no. Had I not had a friendly navalbase in the Azores this would have been a good option. In fact, I'm sure it would probably be shorter to go that route. However, you will not land on any good provinces. The Bermuda route goes lands you in a great position to reach all of the good provinces in North America as well as the Caribbean, the Northern route would require a naval base established on Newfoundland or similar. It probably wouldn't be much worse than Bermuda, but it wouldn't be as good.

BBBD316 said:
b) letting a revolt happen in Norway and let the province go back to the ice bears?
Nah, there's really no point. Giving the province back to norway for free is much easier, and it means I wont have to suffer increased tech costs for owning that province for long. It would probably take quite a few years for it to revolt if I just let it be.

canonized said:
Haha selling provinces too ? Very focused you are !
I've grown to despise land borders after playing a game as Ireland just previous to this ;) Seriously though, if I didn't get rid of the province, I would have to defend myself in a war against Norway sooner or later, and I want to be able pick and choose my wars as much as possible.

Myrmidon said:
Nicely done, as a EU3 " new guy " I'm finding your style very informative. Thanks : )

And thank you for reading :)

PrawnStar said:
So right, you're going to have a huge overseas empire with a large number of low value provinces and you're worried about Ireland being an economic drag - I think you've started on the Guiness already :D

It's an economic drag that isn't part of my goals for the game. That said, I'm sure I'll go a-conquering the Irish minors sooner or later when I've got cores on them from becoming Great Britain :)

This look like an interresting AAR. I always like a writAAR uses a strategy or sets himself goals that i do not use in my games. It gives me new ideas for future game and make me a better player.
Count me in.

p.s. Why does it say on the screenshot that your previous monarch is Frederick I? Were you in a Union or did you not notice when Henry VI died?
Or maybe you forgot to take a screenshot and hoped no one would notice :D

Otkell said:
p.s. Why does it say on the screenshot that your previous monarch is Frederick I? Were you in a Union or did you not notice when Henry VI died?
Or maybe you forgot to take a screenshot and hoped no one would notice :D

Good question. I have no idea. I guess Henry must have died, I forgot to take a screenshot and forgot about the event completely, and then his successor lived for a year or something. I'll have to look it up :eek:o

Interesting strategy. I agree with your claiming Hispaniola - those provinces are far too good to waste on the AI. What happens now - are you planning to build up colonies on the North American mainland, or just scout out the Cherokee/Creek and then clobber them as fast as possible?

I just looked it up, and I did indeed have a king called Richard after Henry that I completely missed. He was nothing spectacular. At least he had the decency to die young, having just spent a year and a half on the throne.

merrick said:
Interesting strategy. I agree with your claiming Hispaniola - those provinces are far too good to waste on the AI. What happens now - are you planning to build up colonies on the North American mainland, or just scout out the Cherokee/Creek and then clobber them as fast as possible?

I will form a long strip of colonies at the coast from Santee to Manhattan in North America and try to get a colonist onto the friendlier of the Caribbean Islands and then go from there. I will try to get some colonies into cities quickly, though a lot of them are destined to be 1 level colonies until I've got the continent under control. There are just 30 coastal provinces north of Santee on the east coast, and I'd like to have them most occupied by 1500 when discoveries start to spread. Likewise goes for Brazil.

Something I'm relying on when establishing alot of low level colonies here is the fact that Spain will be building up colonies to level 8 or so, at which point I will steal them, leaving me with just having to send two colonies to make a city. It seems ironic that the Spanish are doing me a favor by colonizing my land ;)

Very interesting start, Moquel. I don't spend a lot of time in the EU3 forum, but I'll be reading this.

Vann

Good work with the start of the exploration/colonisation, does your monarch have an effect on your success rate like in EU2?

BBBD316: As far as I've been able to tell, there is a +5% bonus to colonization chance for each point of administrative skill your ruler has. There might be a cap to that at some point, but I'm not sure, kings with high ADM rarely live long enough for me to remember to check ;)

Vann the Red: Thank you very much for the vote of confidence, and I hope you'll enjoy it.

New update will come in a while, this time war will once again be part of English life.

New World at War

So far the English Empire didn't look that impressive. Of course, the English were making monumental progress in charting out North America. This, can be argued, was a mistake [[anchorlink=footnote2]1[/anchorlink]]. The mainland had been expanded with two new colonies by the fall of 1461, many of our attempts at establishing a larger band of settlements during this period unfortunately ending in failiure.

colonyviewsf2.jpg

The attempts of the insolent Spaniards to make some islands in the Caribbean irrevocably Castillian were about to bear fruit.

stthomas700bp8.jpg

As fall turned to winter and the first frost came to London, it seemed like there would soon be no other option. The English army would have to go to the Caribbean. You could really see the sadness shine in the eyes of the men of the 1st Army, who came to be stationed in Barahonas, on the eastern half of Hispaniola.

hispaniolakn1.jpg

Also seen in this picture, is the first sign of a foreign naval prescence in the New World. The English Navy at this time consisted solely of transports, and not that many of them, so this was of course a big concern. The Navy were issued orders to under no circumstances fight the Castillian navy in the war to come, should it be sighted.

An army of 3000 cavalry was also dispatched to Portugal to aid in the upcoming war. Unfortunately, in these matters, the catholic community needs a better excuse for war than "it's yellow instead of red on my map, and I don't much care for that," so a covert operation was set underway. A spy went to Madrid, in the heart of Castille. There he planted the remains of Frederick I of England, a king historians still cannot agree even existed, in a bush in the middle of Madrid. Obviously, the burial ground of English royalty must be English, and so the claim to Madrid was established on the 1st of January.

claimmadridms7.jpg

Immediately war was declared on Castille. Portugal and Scotland were quick to join the war. The 1st Army, commanded by the eminent Richard Plantagenet, made a swift landing in the isle of St Thomas, where a weak Castilian army was waiting for them.

stthomasbattlehy7.jpg

The battle was swiftly won, the colony siezed for the crown of England. The 1st Army stayed there just long enough to wipe out the natives of the island, before going back to sea, making a quick landing in Puerto Rico claiming that as well. Meanwhile in Iberia, Castille were launching an invasion into Portugal, but the Portugese had the upper hand, and even launched a counter-invasion into southern castille. Our brave expeditionary force was quickly sent around the spanish lines towards their capital.

gotomadridvg9.jpg

As the brave Scottish ventured a landing into Navarra, the Castillian armies were being pushed back all over the penninsula. To make matters worse, they got themselves entangled in a war with Morocco and Granada. By May of 1462, Barbados was in English hands as well. The objective for the war had been reached. The only question now was whether to fight on, or not. The question, only had one viable answer. While it would have been prudent to cripple Castille, there was no way to achieve it without England itself gaining continental holdings, or strengthening Portugal, which while friendly at the time, was sure to be an enemy in the future. And so, in August, our peace envoy came back with good news. The war was over.

peacecastillesl0.jpg

Everyone was glad. Colonists were now sent to St Thomas and Puerto Rico, the two largest of our new colonies, the threat from the Spanish finally gone from the Caribbean for a long time to come.

maybenotga5.jpg

Or maybe not.

[[anchor=footnote2]1[/anchor]] What I mean by it being a mistake to explore the continent so extensively this early on is that all these discoveries will spread to the rest of Europe in 50 years of them being made. The less Castille and England explore early on, the less hectic the years of colonization leading up to that point will be. Unfortunately, this did not occur to me at the time, and so I had discovered California by the early 1560s.

Last edited:
Interesting IDNK that about the exploration, seems in 50 years time you will be in colonisation overload.

Why did you kill the natives?

Europe, 1462

While we're only 10 years into the game, let's have a look at Europe. Some people might not find this very interesting, but I always take screenshots of the world once every 10 years or so when I play, because I think it's fun as hell to compare them at the end of the game. But then, I'm a bit of a nerd.

Anyhow!

denmarkea4.jpg

Let's start in Scandinavia. Here we see Sweden appearantly settled for a white peace with Norway. A shame, they seemed to be doing so well when we pulled our troops out of Bergenshus. But, you might say, at least they are destroying the Danes. No. They aren't. That's Pommerania and Brandenburg.

georgiaor1.jpg
This region looks almost exactly like it did ten years ago! Very odd! I have no idea why, but looking at what happens to Georgia is always good family fun. Also, Poland seems to be doing well.

canariesbe0.jpg
Morocco has stolen the Canary Islands from Castille. I wonder if it will attract as many german tourists in this version of history 520 years from now.

I like the start and the vision, good job kicking Spain out of the Caribbean....but I doubt you'll be able to do it indefinitely, just try to colonize strategic spots to keep them locked out of the larger landmasses. Looking forward to more.

Continental consequences

As the months went by following the end of the first Anglo-Castillian war, we set about building up the colonial holdings we'd taken during the war. Especially St Thomas was of interest, since the colony was already so large, and bringing in large amounts of tax and production already. On October 25 it was reported that our first colonists had arrived on the island, and all the Spaniards who were there immediately decided that English was so much cooler to be than Spanish.

stthomasengab5.jpg

All were happy, as England settled in for a period of peace destined to last at least 7 or 8 years untill a second war with Castille was bound to occur.

oopsse1.jpg

"What? What the hell? Why are they declaring war on me? I dont have anything they want!!" screamed the King of England that night in early November of 1462.
"Actually," replied one of his advisors, "you've been focusing a little too much on the west. England still owns Calais."

Oops. For all our aspirations of being rid of all continental possessions, our attempts to sell Bergenshus, we had forgotten to get rid of one of the provinces that actually spawned that policy in the first place.

calaisrm1.jpg

There is no reason to fight this war. I spam the French with peace offers, giving them all my French claims, but they refuse. Then they take Calais. I offer all my claims again, still not offering them Calais, and this time they accept. Neat. Now all I have to do is remember to get rid of Calais before the truce runs out.

1463 passes without a hiccup, and England is recovering nicely, focus being shifted towards expanding peacefully in the Americas. However, Castille is also expanding, in the very same Americas as England is, and by early 1464 they had not only established a second colony, this time on the South American mainland, but also established a military presence there to deal with the hostile natives in the area. All of England hopes the natives will win, so that Castille may waste more precious colonists in the area.

essequiboii8.jpg

By April 1464 it became apparent that St Thomas would need no further nudges from London to become England's first full-fledged colonial city, and so expeditions ceased being sent there, relying on it's 13%/year growth rate to expand to 1000 citizens.

stthomasgrownd1.jpg

In 1465 the colonies of Manhattan and Connecticut are established, giving England a long stripe of colonies all along the east coast of North America from Santee to Connecticut. Also, this year in September St Thomas finally reaches 1000 citizens and City status. England first colonial city will serve it's country valiantly, each year contributing over 17 ducats a year, even at production technology 0.

stthomascityea2.jpg

Then January of 1466 comes round, when finally the French situation is dealt with. On the first of January, knowing the coffers of France will be full with census taxes, England successfully sells Calais for 200 ducats to the French.

sellcalaissn2.jpg

Not even 2 weeks pass by, before the Scottish king is finally convinced his throne is no longer needed. He gives up his land to the English king, and so England and Scotland are united. The island of Great Britain, one nation.

annexscotlandin6.jpg

Great Britain, being such a cool name, was quickly universally adopted by the peasants all over the English nation. It only took 9 months before the rulers in London decided that they would like to call the country that as well, and so, on October 17, 1466, the world lost the nation of England forever, and gained the sovereign and very focused nation of Great Britain.

gbbl5.jpg

To tell you the truth, I'm a little surprised how fast that went. I knew it wouldn't take long, but the base mean time to happen for this event is 10 years or so I think

Great Britain - cool and now you've got the cores to make the United Kingdom...

Is Castile the only other country to take QftNW in the first round of ideas?

Great work, especially swindling the foul french!

My only confusion with the killing of the natives was the fact that you had troops in the region and I thought like EU2 if you took a colony from 800 to 900 and it had natives it automatically converted them to city status.

Nice AAR, I just started a game as England with similar, if not exact goals. My goal is to be the "King of the North" -- that is controlling all the British Isles, Scandinavia, Iceland, Greenland, Canada, and build from there, the idea being the English discovered some old "Vinland" maps and so am restricting exploration to that region (initially) and pretending like we never heard of the Caribbean. Sort of a return of Canute.

I also got rid of the French possessions, I had to give them up in peace treaties (one to Lorraine, one to Burgundy) to try and counter-weight France a bit. Not ruling out going back into Normandy, Brittany and our COT in Flanders.

My war against Scotland & Norway ended up with Orkney, Iceland, all of Scotland except their capital, and Norway's northernmost provinces (Finnmark and one other). The last two I used as a base to take a big part of Sweden after several other alliances went to war with them. Both Norway and Sweden are crippled at this point.

Denmark and Portugal are allies.

I never thought of diplo-annexing Scotland, that's a good idea but too late for us now.