• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wasn't sure if you were talking about planetary movement or not when you said the timescale was too small.

Wasn't sure if you were talking about planetary movement or not when you said the timescale was too small.
Understandable. I figured it was quite obvious given the context of my quoted comment, but sure.

I doubt it, they've previously said that they plan to make major patches on warfare (Cherryh) and Diplomacy. I think it's a fair assumption that this one could likely be focused on Diplomacy.

Sure, but I also doubt they will do one right after the other. It's smarter to fill in some smaller and not game changer updates so we don't have to learn again considerable aspects of the game every two months. Exploration seems ideal for that, as they can add numerous new galaxy features without changing much of the mechanics.

Hyperlane clusters and bottlenecks/"highways"
In 2.1 'Niven', we're changing hyperlane generation to have distinct clusters of stars separated by 'highways'. There's also a (modder-accessible) calculation to determine which systems are bottlenecks, for use in AI and space monster placement.

Twitter

DbDNKUbXkAAQjJf.jpg

I reckon 2.1 will be focused on exploration and fleshing out some of the potential benefits from the hyperlanes only model. Keep in mind 2.1 is going to be a patch only without an accompanying DLC. I expect the Diplomacy/Trade stuff to be something that gets done with an expansion/patch combo.

Anomaly log - exploration related
Hyperlane cluster/highway with obstacles - exploration
Binary and Trinary stars make for more interesting galactic features and so can be broadly included under exploration

So, exploration and more galactic features look to be the order of the day.

More and clearer exploration sounds good. I really hope the chokepoint meta / model isn't going to far. Or we can freely swich between certain "landscapes" via the hyperlane density slider. To many chokepoints enforce the doomfleet playstyle once again in my opinion.

- edited: bad spelling.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it would be possible to have different amounts of space between connected and non-connected stars. As it is now, the hyperlane connections feel very arbitrary and you need pretty pronounced graphics for the lanes to show the galactic terrain properly. But if non-connected stars were further apart it might feel more intuitive, and perhaps be easier to see even with slightly more muted lane graphics?

Anyhow, the new map looks awesome and is exactly why I was so exited for the hyperlanes only decision. <3

More and clearer exploration sounds good. I really hope the chokepoint meta / model isn't going for far. Or we can freely swich between certain "landscapes" via the hyperlane density slider. To much chokepoints enforce the doomfleet playstyle once again in my opinion.

just imagine the effect this will have on crisis fleets...
I've already tried having to face the entire scourge fleet deathball in a single system, having to reload just to get it spawn elsewhere so it could spread a little before meeting me. With this it sounds like they need to do a major overhaul on crisis balance.

Why? I understand that it could makes more lags. I understand that some players dont like when planets are moving. But there are players who would love this. I dont know the ratio of players who like it and not.. do you? And this could be an "option" to choose in options menu.

Please, no more toggles. We gotta draw the line somewhere, we can't keep fractioning down every single minuscule detail into a toggle, it's just an absolute mess waiting to happen.

I like that there will be more dynamic hyperlanes, although I worry creating clusters like in this image will mean you could end up having huge borders with your neighbour but, lacking any actual hyperlane connection, will be unable to rival or go to war with them.

Loving the sound of this update, exploration was one of the areas that could be done much, much better with hyperlanes. That being said, I do hope that the tile system / planets / economic aspect of the game recieves an update as well. Afterall, exploration means little if there are no new, different, strange lands to explore.

From Wiz' wording it sounds a little like the new clustering system will help the AI understand the hyperlane system better.
Maybe this will make wars feel a bit more dangerous.

Also: YAY hidden hyperlanes! <3

This is one of those ideas that sound good on paper but may fail in practice. I'm worried that it will make the already slow traversal through the galaxy completely snail-paced, where you have to zig-zag through a dozen systems just to get to a nearby star. Hopefully there will be a good middle ground on one of the hyperlane density settings.

Was it confirmed? Exploration-themed story pack with some cool unique systems/clusters would fit perfectly.

Pretty standard across all current PDS games that after a $20 expansion and its accompanying patch, the next thing to come out is a major patch without an expansion. After that, who knows?

Endless Space 2 has an unique combat balance. I mean come it is the only recent 4X I am aware of using card-based to accomplish high level strategy decisions.
ES 2 has:
Combat you can not control
A more primitive Version of the Faction and Ethic System (only 5 axis)
A cap on how many Systems you can control
Anomalies and exploration
A pretty close copy of the old border System
Heroes/Leaders

Nice. Hopefully will also mean star clusters locked behind wormholes/gateways as well. Perhaps that will come later.
This was on the list of original plans regarding "Galactic Terrain". So, that or at least the groundwork for that.

More and clearer exploration sounds good. I really hope the chokepoint meta / model isn't going for far. Or we can freely swich between certain "landscapes" via the hyperlane density slider. To much chokepoints enforce the doomfleet playstyle once again in my opinion.
The primary thing against "Doomfleet" style is the Travel times. And those stay true, no mater how the hyperlane network looks.

This is one of those ideas that sound good on paper but may fail in practice. I'm worried that it will make the already slow traversal through the galaxy completely snail-paced, where you have to zig-zag through a dozen systems just to get to a nearby star. Hopefully there will be a good middle ground on one of the hyperlane density settings.
I do not consider that a problem.
By bee line the North and South of the Alps are really close together. But unless there is a tunnel, you have to really zig-zag your way around them.