• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I want everyone to know that I'm taking a temporary break because of the NBA Finals with the Cavaliers playing, and being a Cleveland native, and back in Cleveland right now for the electric ride, I'm not really devoting any free-time to anything right now.

So once the Championship is over, I'll be back to this. So there's a week(ish) break + whenever I get back to this for now.

All in! :cool:

Reactions:
Preface to the Reader Volume 3​

With the ending of the reign of Emperor John X in the second volume of my narrative of the Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization, we enter into the final nexus of this work. Having achieved great success, but at the same time failure for not being able to achieve all that was perhaps necessary in the reformation of the Roman Empire during his reign, the final and dramatic conclusion to the history of the Romans will soon commence chronicling his successors and the Long Recency that came to dominate in the decade preceding the ascension of Constantine XII to the throne.

In keeping to the spirit of the first two volumes, and my promises in the first preface, I shall continue to bring forth an analysis and history of the social, religious, economic, political and military face of the Roman state during this final volume in my history of the Late Period Empire. Ultimately, the highs of the Emperor John X would become a distant and fanciful memory to many Romans – as the problems left by the failures of the Roman emperors beginning with John VIII onward come to the forefront with the death of Emperor Manuel III and the beginning of a devastating political quarrel and civil war that ripped the empire apart.

In particular, my narrative in this third and final installment of my history of the Romans shall chronicle what I have called “The Long Regency” in which familiar and new faces will appear, re-appear, and disappear all the same. Upon the completion of this third volume - I will have the pleasure of discharging my promises to all of you readers whom I am eternally grateful for during the course of writing the first two volumes of this history. I hope then, I will be able to maintain and bring to you the entire final and heightened conclusion to this work; of which the third volume will be the most important, insightful, thoughtful, and longest of the three volumes for this final chapter of my history of the Romans will conclude the history of the Late Period Empire.

Edward Lamillar
(volksmarschall)

Reactions:
Personally I'm massively excited to see this collapse, which after all is such a rare event on these forums

Reactions:
This once again proves that you are REALLY working in this profession. Even in German I couldn't even imagine to write like you do. Amazing.

Why thank you for the kind words. My real profession, in terms of a salary and employment, though--is actually a printer! :p I just happen to fortunate enough to be published while still being a student working towards higher degrees. Although obviously, the printer thing will inevitably come to an end...:rolleyes:

Personally I'm massively excited to see this collapse, which after all is such a rare event on these forums

Yeah, I'm looking forward to writing it. After all, I sort of manipulated the game mechanics to ensure I keep my promise on a "decline and fall." Hopefully it will inspire one or two people on the forum to undertake the task of trying to write a great AAR while having "lost" the game (although my loss was deliberate because it would have been odd for "Decline and Fall..." if I played all the way to 1821... :p

Reactions:
Chapter XXVI

The Power Vacuum Left by the Death of Manuel III​

The 27 year reign of John X abruptly shattered with the short three year reign of his brother, Manuel III. And, in terms of historical record—he accomplished little. Granted, he was the pawn of many powerful nobles who sought to advance their own interests at the behest of a puppet emperor, his short reign signaled the end of the centralization reforms of John X and marked the beginning of the “Long Regency.” Manuel’s son, Constantine, enthroned as Constantine XII, was but three years of age when he ascended the throne of Augustine and Constantine the Great. In his place, powerful political coalitions emerged to rule in his stead.

The power vacuum left with the death of Manuel can be broken down into three principal groups: the feudal aristocracy in Greece and Trebizond (the main conspirators against John X), the first military triumvirate of Nikolaus Melissinos, Ambrosios Gabras, and Admiral Niccolo Fernio (a Genoan naval officer in the service of the empire), and John’s old court headed by his wife, the widowed Empress Sophia. Sophia became the tutor and de facto ruler upon the ascension of Constantine XII. Her popularity with the people was a difficult matter for the aristocrats to circumnavigate, and the military divided along their loyal lines: those loyal to Melissinos were loyal to Sophia because Melissinos was a favourite of the empress, those soldiers who aligned with Gabras (in Greece) were loyal to the feudal lords of Macedonia and Athens, and the navy tipped the balance of power depending on the favor and direction of the wind.

In this sense, the powerful coalitions that emerged with the death of Manuel were those loyal to the aristocracy and those loyal to John’s old court. It was the military, however, that wielded the true power. Neither the aristocrats nor Sophia held any sway without the loyalty of the Roman Army. And as stated, the army conveniently associated with the different coalitions as long as it suited them. Like the triumvirates before them, particularly those at the closure of the republican era before Julius Caesar crossed the Tiber and entered Rome—the triumvirate military order was centered in various localities of the empire. Where Caesar, Lepidus, and Pompey all had their bases of separated bases of operation, so too did Melissinos, Gabras, and Fernia. Melissinos concentrated his forces at the capital of Constantinople. Ambrosios Gabras was located in Trebizond, and Admiral Fernio had the primary Roman fleet based in Athens. Greece and Trebizond were in the hands of the aristocratic powers, and insofar that Fernio had his primary command in Athens, was, starting in 1531, moderately aligned with the interests of the despotates if not only out of his own self-interest.

Indeed, the Greek aristocrats attempted to enhance their opportunities to seize absolute power in Constantinople by swaying Fernio to completely align with them. Great Domestic John of the Morea, the principle aristocrat who stood against the Empress Sophia in the first stage of the Long Regency, envisioned a two-pronged assault on the capital. Viewing himself as a liberator against the Palaiologoi plight, John advanced the notion that Gabras was to march from Trebizond and head towards Constantinople from the east. He and his army would be helped by the Roman navy stationed in the city on the crossroads itself, it would mutiny in favor of Fernio’s command—who, after all, was the de facto head of the maritime fleet even though his proper command was stationed in Athens to serve as a quick response against the Mamluks, Turks, and Italians all the same. Meanwhile, the Greek and Albanian nobles would muster an army in Thessaly and march on Constantinople from the west. The Roman navy, headed by Fernio, would screen the Greco-Albanian advance from the coast, and cross the Bosporus and break through the city defenses along the Golden Horn to force the capitulation of the city and usher in the new age of the patricians.

Strategos Ambrosios Gabras, general of the east, was the principle military officer in service of the aristocracy during the Long Regency. He contended with his principle rival, Nikolaus Melissinos, as the most important and powerful of the Roman generals during this period. Some say, however, he held power over the aristocracy.

The plan, of course, was naturally suspect. While the aristocrats were aligned in seeking a decentralized authority, few thought that John was ripe for the title of emperor. Indeed, many preferred a weak emperor who would be their puppet instead of another potential centralizer and reformer. Great Domestic John, insofar that he was the intellectual and manipulator of the push against the young Constantine XII and his steward empress-regent, Sophia, was deemed as a potential liability by some of the more notable aristocratic families, particularly the Komnenoi in Trebizond, who felt that if any of the aristocratic families that deserved to replace the Palaiologoi as emperors—it was them! As such, quarrel fell over the conspirator tables and no moves were to be made for over a year. Plus, despite Gabras’ close association with the Komnenoi, his oath was in the service of the emperor. Some of the more weary aristocrats viewed the general with suspicion, especially since they understood that the military held the real balance of power. For some, including Great Domestic John, there was a push to place officers in command of the Roman armies who were otherwise fanatically loyal (under the thumb) of the aristocratic forces to prevent the possibility of being betrayed at the high watermark.

At the same time, the royal court in Constantinople was not out of touch with the realities of the ambitions of the aristocrats and the dissident military forces outside the walls of Constantinople. Empress Sophia, ever the plotter and planning, had an extensive spy network throughout the confines of the empire that had been established under John X to gauge support for his centralizing reforms. At a minimum of once a month, she held private meetings with her spies who would return to Constantinople to report on the developments in Greece and Trebizond.

Some have said that Sophia was interested in the throne for herself. This is a possibility, although unlikely. In the history of Rome, powerful women had always played a prominent role in Roman politics. Before the rise and fall of Theodora, there was the ambition and talent of the Empress Aelia Placidia who not only ruled as a regent herself, but was the prominent power broker in the conflict between Bonifacius and Aetius in the Western Roman Empire. Aelia Ariadne, an eastern empress, factored prominently in two co-reigns after the western half of the empire had fallen. Sophia, standing in the same tradition as many powerful women before her, sat upon a throne during a regency and wielded direct and absolute power over the court and direction of the empire. Her affair with Melissinos was out of love, surely enough, but also served as a political move to ensure the loyalty of Rome’s most prominent military general during the era of the Long Regency. Their love bound the court and forces in Constantinople together. And, as her spies continually indicated to her—she held a considerable advantage in that her forces were concentrated, and her rivals divided.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hm. While I'd rather think that the conspiracy won't win - or else the "Long Gegency" would have been quite a short one - it will surely weaken the Romans and most likely be a prelude to the things bound to happen later. I'm curious whether or not anything Roman will be left standing after anything is over, but looking at the title of this AAR I most likely know the answer already.

Something unrelated: After much achievement-hunting during the last patches I think I'll start my Baluchistan campaign soon (the second one, actually, since the first one ended in utter defeat around 1480 - a bit short for an AAR). Seeing Rome utterly fail inspires me, though. I'm not sure if (or how) I can pull off my idea in Ironman, but I'll try at least. Look forward to it!

I doubt these groups had any principles, more midnight writing? :p

Also, great AAR. Finally caught up

Yes, since around midnight is really the only extensive spare time I have, even with my schedule and commitments having cleared up much more-so than usual! There's a reason why no academic/scholarly endeavors are undertaken past 10. :p

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you've enjoyed this monster of an AAR and have caught up. Reading block after block of text must be pleasing to the eyes...:p

Hm. While I'd rather think that the conspiracy won't win - or else the "Long [R]egency" would have been quite a short one - it will surely weaken the Romans and most likely be a prelude to the things bound to happen later. I'm curious whether or not anything Roman will be left standing after anything is over, but looking at the title of this AAR I most likely know the answer already.

Something unrelated: After much achievement-hunting during the last patches I think I'll start my Baluchistan campaign soon (the second one, actually, since the first one ended in utter defeat around 1480 - a bit short for an AAR). Seeing Rome utterly fail inspires me, though. I'm not sure if (or how) I can pull off my idea in Ironman, but I'll try at least. Look forward to it!

Whether anything "roman" is left somewhat depends on how I close this AAR (really a pseudo-history book based off of a game completed long before all the new patches and DLCs came out). And with sticking to the title, and having done well (much better than I expected), certain things just fell into place (namely, John died at 42, then Manuel III died after three years, and my heir was only 3 years old--it made sense to take these events and craft the inevitable climax and conclusion with these events being the first in the falling of the dominoes).

I despise Ironman mostly because of the repetitive saving every month. I only play it to achievement-hunt some of the very easy achievements and call it that...:p Yes. Baluchistan to Mughals, it's about time! ;)

The only mystery to me remains the Ottoman inactivity. Do they have some kind of interregnum, a very weak monarch, or have they succumbed to tribal feuds and are crumbling from the inside into small beyliks like the late Sultanate of Rum?

The only mystery to me remains the Ottoman inactivity. Do they have some kind of interregnum, a very weak monarch, or have they succumbed to tribal feuds and are crumbling from the inside into small beyliks like the late Sultanate of Rum?

The Ottos are still recovering from multiple lost wars to me, and the lost war to the Mamluks which I covered somewhere back in Vol.2 "the Syrian Wars." In essence, since I've blocked their expansion and have taken lands from them; they've been sandwiched between me and the Mamluks and have suffered. However, they are still pretty powerful and will be making a re-appearance in Vol. 3.

They're, right now, sort of stuck between a rock and hard place. Weak economy, weak manpower pool, and no longer outnumbering their primary enemies (me and Mamluk Egypt) means they're not walking over anyone like usual. But rest assured, they are waiting in the distance...

Reactions:
Hopefully it will inspire one or two people on the forum to undertake the task of trying to write a great AAR while having "lost" the game (although my loss was deliberate because it would have been odd for "Decline and Fall..." if I played all the way to 1821... :p

It was hardly great, but my first AAR ended in a loss. Of course, I expected success, and wrote as I played, so that made it 'easy' to write an AAR about failure. Nevertheless, it was nice to inadvertently do something uncommon.

They're [the Ottomans], right now, sort of stuck between a rock and hard place. Weak economy, weak manpower pool, and no longer outnumbering their primary enemies (me and Mamluk Egypt) means they're not walking over anyone like usual. But rest assured, they are waiting in the distance...

Yeah, that's the Ottos for you. Since you played that game during a much, much earlier version they should still have that insane Ghazi modifier. They always manage to get back to their shenanigans in this game as long as you don't wipe them off the map.

Chapter XXVI

Ambrosios Gabras Marches on Constantinople​

During the first triumvirate of the Long Regency, Ambrosios Gabras made the most audacious and cunning move of the Roman commanders. With over 8,000 men, he embarked from Trebizond on the pretense of putting down a Mohammedan uprising in the western provinces along the Black Sea Coast. However, Empress Sophia’s extensive spy network informed her, and General Melissinos, differently.

The fragmenting empire in the fall of 1530 was a complex collection of feudal holdings, military outposts, and the several important cities—most important of them all being Constantinople. Although the Roman Empire was never centralized at any point of its history, not at least in the same way that we might imagine a centralized empire being—instead, the Roman Empire ever since the time of Augustus was a collection of tributaries and dependencies that acknowledged Rome as their overlord, paid tribute taxes, supplied the Roman army, and in return, was protected and benefited from the rule of Roman law. In this sense, the empire had changed little in over 1500 years. It still sat along the same basic structures and foundations, even though John X had tried to change that and bring a greater degree of central authority to the realm. Yet, it cannot be understated that whomever sat on the throne in Constantinople held the most power in the empire.

As far as the aristocrats were concerned, being outside the walls of Constantinople was an embarrassing stain on the mark of their prospective triumph. But Gabras was the strong arm of the aristocracy, assuming that he could be controlled. That was where the aristocrats had erred in their calculations. General Gabras was far more popular than any of the nobles throughout the empire from his campaigns with John in Armenia and Iraq during the Roman-Persian War. He had distinguished himself as a competent infantry officer and timely with his use of cavalry. The 8,000 men he had with him defied the orders of the Duke of Trebizond and set off to march on Constantinople—no doubt with the images of Julius Caesar on his mind.

Melissinos, Gabras’ main rival, was an equally popular figure who had a distinguished military career that stretched as far back as the First Italian War as a lowly infantry officer to one of the chief reformers and commanders during the reign of John X, and his performance during the Second Italian War earned him notable laurels not only from within the empire but around Europe as well. Melissinos was the cavalry commander during Duke Thomas’ famous March on Rome, and his actions earned him a fierce but noble reputation throughout Italy and France. He decided, against the wishes of Empress Sophia, to “put down” the rebellion himself. In reality, he had only one thing on his mind—meet Gabras and either force him to back down or commit in civil war. Melissinos gambled that superior numbers on his side would secure a victory, from which Admiral Fernio would, reluctantly at worse, be forced to support Melissinos and the royal court in Constantinople which would strike a major blow against the aristocratic forces who hoped to press their advantage after the assassination of John and untimely death of Manuel.

A romanticized painting of General Gabras marching out of Trebizond with the intention of seizing Constantinople, ca. 1680 by an unknown artist.

Melissinos commandeered the Roman fleet at the Golden Horn to transport his 10,000 men to the Black Sea. After a month of transporting the men and material to their Asian depots, and after a short but brutal campaign against the Mohammedan natives of the region which gave the impression that he was putting down an invisible revolt, on November 19, 1530, the two commanders met outside Parthenios (modern day Bartin). In a state of shock and awe, Gabras was forced between a rock and a hard place. To attack his fellow general was to commit to a civil war that was sure to betray his reputation and popularity. To retreat would signify weakness and his own wrong-doing where he would likely be reprimanded and punished not only by the Imperial Court but also the aristocrats who felt betrayed by his brash actions.

Having failed to reach the gates of Constantinople, where he had hoped his popularity would rupture into a tidal wave of enthusiasm and support for his march against the tyrants, Gabras decided to turn back and head for Trebizond. His failures were not without their achievements. Ironically, it took Melissinos to defy the orders of Empress Sophia to challenge him in Asia instead of the walls of Constantinople. Having been convinced he was attempting to usurp power, Sophia wanted to wait behind the walls of the eternal city. Melissinos, knowing Gabras’ popularity, thought that such a plan risked a general revolt inside the city in favor of the general. Thus, he marched out of the city, commandeered the Roman navy, and turned Gabras back in Asia Minor. However, Melissinos’ success now meant that he was every bit Sophia’s rival for power inside Constantinople. His newly won popularity, matched with his lineage and reputation, meant that Melissinos was too dangerous to be allowed back into Constantinople—especially as commander of the Imperial Army.

A swap was produced. Melissinos was given command of the armies in Asia Minor, under the pretext of keeping the aristocracy in Trebizond in-line. He took it as the demotion that it was. Gabras was “exiled” to the command in Greece and Macedonia, the smallest of the three major Roman field armies. There he was expected to wither away at the intrigue and politicking of the Greek aristocracy. For Empress Sophia, she emerged the winner of the first round in this title-fight for the throne of Augustus and Constantine. Although Melissinos was her lover, she loved power more than any man. Perhaps even more than John prior to his murder.

Not to be outdone, however, Melissinos plotted his own revenge. He sought to increase the size of the Army of Asia Minor, and turned his eyes to a weakened Golden Horde. Melissinos believed that in the summer of 1531, a victory against the Steppe Barbarians would only improve his standing with the people and he would be welcomed back to Constantinople a hero and savior of the empire. This was a calculated risk on his part. He had no authority to raise a new army, let alone launch an invasion. However, by Christmas 1530, he seemed all but set on invading the Golden Horde and securing an improbable victory to boost his chances now that he felt thoroughly betrayed by the only woman he had ever loved.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Byzantine through and through. :p
I would focus rather on driving Turks from Europe first, which seems to be no one's top priority...

The fact that I can't declare a war with a regency, and can only be Dow'd, is part of the problem! :p

Finally found the time to really read through your chapter. I guess it's "everybody vs everybody" in Rome - just like in the old days. Such fights always leave a strong winner - or a ruined country without lead.

Since you are in a Regency (in terms of gameplay) your Golden Horde campaign was not a gameplay one - or did they attack you?

Finally found the time to really read through your chapter. I guess it's "everybody vs everybody" in Rome - just like in the old days. Such fights always leave a strong winner - or a ruined country without lead.

Since you are in a Regency (in terms of gameplay) your Golden Horde campaign was not a gameplay one - or did they attack you?

The AAR is based on game events, I just take liberty in (re)writing it to fit the style and context that I have shaped as the author. For instance, like John's assassination was written to explain why he suddenly died, in-game, at age 43 when I was hoping to get another 10-15 years out of him as a ruler. Take into account what I had written already about the power struggle between emperor and aristocrats, and the fact that I had chosen ideas, in Economics, like establish a bank (centralization), it fit the storyline I had molded to have him die via assassination.

I'm fighting periodic revolts from disgruntled Muslim populations in Anatolian provinces I have taken, moving my army from Trebizond and army from Constantinople to deal with the threat becomes the basis for Gabras vs. Melissinos, especially since these events are happening in a regency.

Obviously I can't DoW the Golden Horde, but they can do that to me. And I'll simply (re)write that as Melissinos seeking glory! ;)

And as you already know, I'm sprinkling, or heavily incorporating, real history as I make the AAR updates to try and also provide a glimpse into Byzantine structures, society, and what their real history was like knowing that they are pretty popular on these forums, but also to push away the often too romantic view that Western readers conjure up when thinking of the glorious Byzantine Empire shielding a fledgling Europe from invasion. Something the developers at EU4 actually got right when you notice that one of Hungary's national ideas is "bulwark of Christianity." After the Fourth Crusade, the Balkan powers: Bulgaria, Serbia, and then Hungary (in that order) had become the "new" shield so to speak while Constantinople languished for the next two centuries until Mehmed caused the walls to come tumbling down.

And I think you know where I'm going with the long regency, power struggle, and 'civil war' in this volume! :p

Reactions: