• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems that everyone has a vice in this family. Frodi had his gold and Sigfrid liked to murder his pregnant wives. :D

So Sigfrid's plan for a sole male heir backfired and he died trying to create another heir? How ironic. I also find it amusing how a homosexual king can "accidentally" get his wife pregnant when he doesn't want another child. :p

Ah Gavelkind, where killing wifes and second sons is practicually manditory to survvive. Well I did not Haesteinn to last long but less then 10 years!!! that's a record. :)

Haesteinn lived for about 18 months.

It seems that everyone has a vice in this family. Frodi had his gold and Sigfrid liked to murder his pregnant wives. :D

So Sigfrid's plan for a sole male heir backfired and he died trying to create another heir? How ironic. I also find it amusing how a homosexual king can "accidentally" get his wife pregnant when he doesn't want another child. :p

Is gold really a vice, though?

'The Unfortunately Visaged'
:rofl:

As always, an excellent update. It seems that you really need to take steps to reform the Germanic religion before long, Gavelkind lands are hard to hold together.

It was worth waiting for this. I like that style. I'm not sure I would want this every update but sometimes, it's good to change from the first person narration.

:rofl:

As always, an excellent update. It seems that you really need to take steps to reform the Germanic religion before long, Gavelkind lands are hard to hold together.

I have a plan to rectify that little problem. You'll have to see what happens next!

It was worth waiting for this. I like that style. I'm not sure I would want this every update but sometimes, it's good to change from the first person narration.

Thank you for the feedback! I enjoyed writing it, but we'll return to the journal style format beginning with Queen Skuld.

Good point. Perhaps obsession is a better word for it. ;)

I agree!

So, I plan on updating this weekend. Before I do that, though, I want to address something that's bothering me, if not necessarily you. Namely, I'm having trouble justifying to myself the relative likelihood of all of these documents surviving until the present day. I know, some Roman/Greek documents have lasted to the present day (a much longer period, I might add), but rarely do we have such complete records on historical figures, even modern ones. To cherry pick one example, we still don't know when Fidel Castro embraced Communism, if indeed he ever did. I hope it isn't bothering anyone from an immersion standpoint, but it is a problem that you'll just kind of have to accept. Sorry about that. :)

EDIT: Update is coming early next week instead. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited:
I just assumed that we were "reading" the diary entries as they were being written.

So, I plan on updating this weekend. Before I do that, though, I want to address something that's bothering me, if not necessarily you. Namely, I'm having trouble justifying to myself the relative likelihood of all of these documents surviving until the present day. I know, some Roman/Greek documents have lasted to the present day (a much longer period, I might add), but rarely do we have such complete records on historical figures, even modern ones. To cherry pick one example, we still don't know when Fidel Castro embraced Communism, if indeed he ever did. I hope it isn't bothering anyone from an immersion standpoint, but it is a problem that you'll just kind of have to accept. Sorry about that. :)

There's a bunch of ways you can vary this, though it depends on how much you want to shake up your style and how much you just want to get the story going :)

If you invade somewhere, use 'found' correspondences between those places. "We cannot say for certain when VIKINGLORD entered Normandy but we do have a letter from the Duke of Normandy asking for troops at DATE and we know for certain that the invasion was over at DATE."
Was he Holy? Viking hagiography! I have no idea how that would sound, but it would be something like "In this infinite wisdom he did a thing. Then he did another thing, which was even more amazing," at least that's how normal hagiography sounds.
Was he Great? Anecdotes about how later rules saw him, aka how Caesar reportedly wept by a statue of Alexander the Great because Alex's achievements by age 22 utterly dwarfed Caesars.

Of course there's just general summary of sources. "Numerous convents and chruches along the coast reported massive numbers of viking raids in the years leading up to something something/The grain imports in this and that region rose very high, giving us an idea of where the king gathered his army." or excerpts of larger works, like the last entry in a work regarding the kings of England that doesn't include your guys because vikings are stupid, but DOES contain the date where the last "real" king's reign ended.

I don't know how many of these ideas would work for a whole post, and lord knows this shouldn't get as dry as studying history can sometimes be, but I hope you can use some of the ideas for something. Like viking hagiography.

I just assumed that we were "reading" the diary entries as they were being written.

There's a bunch of ways you can vary this, though it depends on how much you want to shake up your style and how much you just want to get the story going :)

If you invade somewhere, use 'found' correspondences between those places. "We cannot say for certain when VIKINGLORD entered Normandy but we do have a letter from the Duke of Normandy asking for troops at DATE and we know for certain that the invasion was over at DATE."
Was he Holy? Viking hagiography! I have no idea how that would sound, but it would be something like "In this infinite wisdom he did a thing. Then he did another thing, which was even more amazing," at least that's how normal hagiography sounds.
Was he Great? Anecdotes about how later rules saw him, aka how Caesar reportedly wept by a statue of Alexander the Great because Alex's achievements by age 22 utterly dwarfed Caesars.

Of course there's just general summary of sources. "Numerous convents and chruches along the coast reported massive numbers of viking raids in the years leading up to something something/The grain imports in this and that region rose very high, giving us an idea of where the king gathered his army." or excerpts of larger works, like the last entry in a work regarding the kings of England that doesn't include your guys because vikings are stupid, but DOES contain the date where the last "real" king's reign ended.

I don't know how many of these ideas would work for a whole post, and lord knows this shouldn't get as dry as studying history can sometimes be, but I hope you can use some of the ideas for something. Like viking hagiography.

Thank you for the feedback, both of you! Update is in progress. :)

Chapter 10: A realm in rebellion

I am Skuld, Queen of England and the House of Hvitserk. I am called "Kinslayer" by some for assassinating my brother. Yet, I ask you, is it truly fair that, simply because the gods have chosen to endow people with certain characteristics, that they may rule and others may not? Ruthlessness is acceptable for a man, but not for a woman? I do not apologize for anything I have done or will do. I cannot lead from the front of my armies, as my father and grandfather did; I must act from the shadows. Consider that I had my own brother killed; what would I do to a man I called stranger?

EKiJCF.jpg

My husband is inoffensive and provides me with the ability to bear young. If this family is to achieve its destiny and unite the Isles under a single banner, we must have fine, strong sons, capable of striking down all who oppose them, whatever the cost.

14 April 967, Jorvik

I inherit a realm at war. The weakness of the Boy King provoked a response from Saemundr and the people of Gwynedd. Saemundr is my great uncle, the brother of my grandfather, Sigfrid II. Yet he defies his Queen, and he must be punished.

11 August 967, Perfeddwiad

My retainers either fear me, hate me, or both. None of my blood relatives will serve. I am forced to turn to those who will tolerate me. One such man is Gudrodr, the leader of my armies.

RtzK70.jpg

I turn to him for aid, but I am wary. Does he plot against me as so many others do? I have attended him in front of his army to invest him with the Marshal's axe, but I also ensure that my spies keep a close on him. I may have some difficulty returning to Jorvik, as Saemundr besieges the castle.

5L3eWk.jpg

The Marshal assures me that he will lead a relief force, personally, to destroy Saemundr and restore order to the realm. May the gods strike down my foes!

16 September 967, Jorvik

I slipped back into the castle with Gudrodr's army only to have yet another Hvitserk claim lands that belong to me. Prince Baldr, through some intermediaries, insists he is the true King of Irland. I may have to make peace with Saemundr in order to turn this challenge aside. Why can the people not just accept my rule?

qeuHYL.jpg

12 May 968, Jorvik

The Seer thinks I may not live to see spring. I wonder if she poisoned me. I beseech you, Odin, do not take me before I bear a son.

nHA1Y3.jpg

12 June 968, Jorvik

I have been sick for a month. There is no worse time to be sick than when your advisors plot against you. At least Saemundr has surrendered. I would restore his titles to him in exchange for a pledge of unending fealty, but he refuses to accept. At least his men follow my banner now. Soon, we shall strike at Irland and restore my rule.

1JPaXT.jpg

21 June 968, Jorvik

I must replace my Seer; she is some kind of fool. I am not truly ill; I am with child!

6wCnh7.jpg

Marshal Gudrodr continues to drive my enemies before him. Within the year, all should be at peace.

1 September 968, Jorvik

The Jarl of Mercia has risen up. It is becoming harder and harder to find sufficient men to garrison my castles. Gudrodr must strike a blow or all is lost.

vKh40h.jpg

22 January 969, Jorvik

I have borne a daughter, Linda.

FVSYdx.jpg

I handed her to the wet nurse as soon as possible. I must reign, restore order, and seek out new lands.

17 April 969, Mercia

I have left Jorvik for the first time since Linda was born. Gandalfr, Jarl of Mercia, has agreed to swear allegiance to me in exchange for his titles. Only Irland remains in rebellion; Mercia's soldiers will prove most useful in succeeding.

26 January 970, Norfolk

I am visiting my younger sister, Iliana. She has asked me to stay with her for a few weeks, as she is worried about assassins trying to take her life.

nss5ui.jpg

I shall have to instruct the assassins to be more discreet. After all, if she suffers an unfortunate accident, I will inherit her lands.

12 October 970, Jorvik

My husband is dead, slain by the Jarl of Jorvik. He dines in Valhalla this eve.

Orwren.jpg

My choices for husband are limited, as everybody in my realm loathes me as a kinslayer, while those outside the realm wish my children to belong to their house. I must conduct an exhaustive search; at the very least, I need a husband who can reassure the people of my realm of my honorable intentions.

29 October 970, Jorvik

Wit of Kovel is my new husband. He is... undesirable in many aspects, but his talent at soothing injured egos should allow me the time to rebuild my family's prestige and to find a better husband in the future.

fIVSVt.jpg

12 January 971, Jorvik

Irland, at long last, is pacified. I have called for a blot, to sacrifice to the gods, that we might earn their favor.

18 September 971, Jorvik

I do not know whether the spirit of Loki possessed my husband, for how else could a man of his age produce young? I pray for a son every day.

20 April 972, Jorvik

My prayers are answered and my purpose renewed. A son is born!

nApyRj.jpg

It is now time to seek retribution for my first husband. Dyre may be of my blood, but I will spill it if necessary. After all, one may not be a double kinslayer.

8 April 973, Jorvik

Dyre escapes justice... for now.

opFoMd.jpg

23 October 973, Jorvik

The runestone to my father is complete; I buried Wit next to it, as per his wishes. Wit considered my father a dear friend and wished to serve him in death as he did in life.

Mb6LlF.jpg

I have chosen a new husband, but he honestly is of no consequence. He will do as he is told and is not to... accost me in any fashion. His husbandly duties are purely to assist in the administration of the realm. Nothing more.

18 December 973, Jorvik

When you are young, you should act as someone who is young. I had a most agreeable time this afternoon, although the gentleman I befriended did not find it as such.

416Up7.jpg

aS5TPr.jpg

Of course, for insulting his Queen, I had him arrested. I may even have him sacrificed at the next blot if he continues to be insolent.

19 March 974, Jorvik

Dyre is under arrest. I have taken his titles and will let him rot in the oubliette.

25 October 974, Jorvik

It would seem I am a kinslayer once again.

Dy22Q3.jpg

I really must choose better assassins. Most worrisome is that I did not inherit Norfolk, but only Suffolk; it would seem the Skots have a claim on Norfolk. I shall have to take it by force.

13 November 975, Jorvik

I have news that the Skots were routed. Surely, they will sue for peace in the near future.

urkuTp.jpg

19 April 976, Jorvik

Success! Halsten has surrendered. In all of England, only Kent remains outside my reach.

ZioVZ6.jpg

16 November 976, Jorvik

I have called a meeting of my council. They, over time, have become more favorable to me, thanks to large gifts of gold and the decision to release Dyre from prison (without his titles, of course). My mercy has impressed my subjects.

ezLu7Y.jpg

3 December 977, Norwich

I am, allegedly, here to visit some friends and some royal estates. In point of fact, I am actually here to root out a Catholic who has obtained one of our Norse shrines.

YsOdsb.jpg

I do not think this task will be difficult.

FtD3Ut.jpg

26 April 978, Vedrafjordr

I have delivered my son, Halfdan, to Marshal Gudrodr for training in the martial arts. He must be strong of blade arm, quick of mind, and able to lead our people into the next millennium.

La9ftL.jpg

1 February 979, Sussex

Although he is very young, nonetheless, Gudrodr has taken my son across the Channel to sack the lands of the White Christ. With enough gold, we can mount expeditions farther to the east once the isles of Britannia are united. Halfdan must learn the art of war. He must.

wkocyK.jpg

24 February 979, Jorvik

I caught an illness in Sussex. I fear this time I am not pregnant. I have done the best a Queen could do. My tactics may have been dishonorable, yet I ask you this -- Grandfather Sigfrid was just as ruthless, yet he is praised. Why is my name cursed? Why do the gods hate me? Halfdan, my son, I did it all for you. Please do not forget me, although I barely know you.

Goodbye.

KrfCpN.jpg

I'm going to need to play to update again. I'm sorry if Skuld seems a bit dull; female characters have never been my strong suit, and it's especially difficult for me to pair Wroth and Deceitful as traits. Halfdan will be more interesting, I promise.

That sure was a lot of rebellions. I guess that's what happens when a woman and kinslayer inherits a throne.

Good point about the kinslayer. Once you kill one, may as well kill more since you only get penalized once. Nothing like cleansing the family tree. :p

It's also hard when it's all rebellions as you get a new ruler settled in, only for them to die just as everything stabilized. I fear having a child on the throne won't be much better than having a woman there, though if he lives long, you'll have the opportunity to use the united realm to do some good. Assuming, of course, that the realm stays united.

Started reading on a whim, and then I looked up and was on page 9 with King Frodo Frothy Frodi. Erm, I better get back to work... Anyway, great AAR and I hope to deliver more substantive commentary in the near future.

I liked Skuld. She had a cool Lady Macbeth vibe to her, but she was even more ruthless.

That sure was a lot of rebellions. I guess that's what happens when a woman and kinslayer inherits a throne.

Good point about the kinslayer. Once you kill one, may as well kill more since you only get penalized once. Nothing like cleansing the family tree. :p

To be fair, I might have actually made that joke (the infinite kinslayer joke) in the Oldest God AAR. I don't remember. :)

It's also hard when it's all rebellions as you get a new ruler settled in, only for them to die just as everything stabilized. I fear having a child on the throne won't be much better than having a woman there, though if he lives long, you'll have the opportunity to use the united realm to do some good. Assuming, of course, that the realm stays united.

Tell me about it. More on this later.

Pity she died. She was a bit more effective than most. :)

You know, she kind of grew on me too. As a "behind the music" sort of moment, I initially wanted to make her a much stronger character, but that Deceitful trait just stuck out like a sore thumb.

Started reading on a whim, and then I looked up and was on page 9 with King Frodo Frothy Frodi. Erm, I better get back to work... Anyway, great AAR and I hope to deliver more substantive commentary in the near future.

Glad to have you along! I'm looking forward to your commentary. :)

I liked Skuld. She had a cool Lady Macbeth vibe to her, but she was even more ruthless.

That's a great comparison! She also lacks the insanity, which is nice.

I'm 99% sure I already mentioned this, but in case I didn't, I will here: this reign was actually almost a ragequit moment for me. In fact, I actually saw the entire kingdom(s) crumble in her reign, and it was getting to the point where I was about ready to just dump on the entire AAR. I ended up taking a deep breath and replaying with a special eye to making people, well, not like Skuld, but at least hate her less. The Oldest God kind of spoiled me, as far as insulating me from the worst aspects of the AAR. It was still a very near thing, much more so than my retelling makes it sound. For me, I have a hard time writing about the most exciting moments in the game because I'm so busy playing I forget to take screenshots. :blush:

The next step is going to be finding some time to play CKII. I've got some material, but if I'm going to do proper foreshadowing (and who doesn't love foreshadowing?), I need to play ahead. I'm hoping that time will come tonight, but in all probability, we're looking at Wednesday night, maybe Thursday night.

So, finished up with Frodi, sailed through Sigfrid's bloody reign (someone who really had a warped idea of birth control - delicious irony that it turned out to be in vain or even counterproductive in the end) and then enjoyed Skuld's tenure. Three very different narrative styles, but I enjoyed them all. Switching from the over-the-top gold obsession of Frodi to the even-handed academic appraisal was a good way to change up the style: it was such a big change that you kind of leap right over any concerns that its inconsistent. I enjoyed the reconstruction of Sigfrid's reign (and the afterthought that was his son, what was his name again?). For Skuld, I really liked the calm first person viewpoint, because you constructed a plausible scenario as to why she did what she did (and how it came to be that everybody hated her and fought against her). I liked her farewell note to her son: recognition of bad things done, but also defiance at being ostracized for stuff that would be praised if a man had done it.

So, finished up with Frodi, sailed through Sigfrid's bloody reign (someone who really had a warped idea of birth control - delicious irony that it turned out to be in vain or even counterproductive in the end) and then enjoyed Skuld's tenure. Three very different narrative styles, but I enjoyed them all. Switching from the over-the-top gold obsession of Frodi to the even-handed academic appraisal was a good way to change up the style: it was such a big change that you kind of leap right over any concerns that its inconsistent. I enjoyed the reconstruction of Sigfrid's reign (and the afterthought that was his son, what was his name again?). For Skuld, I really liked the calm first person viewpoint, because you constructed a plausible scenario as to why she did what she did (and how it came to be that everybody hated her and fought against her). I liked her farewell note to her son: recognition of bad things done, but also defiance at being ostracized for stuff that would be praised if a man had done it.

Thanks very much! I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far.

Apologies for the double post, but I don't think it will consider the thread properly updated unless I post separately. :)

I got a chance to play this weekend. I finished with Halfdan II's reign and am on to his successor. I think I'm going to stop playing and get back to updating when either successor dies or I get to 1050, whichever comes first. So, there's that. When that will be, I couldn't say, but it will eventually happen!

Keep 'em coming, Av! Death to the English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh! :)