• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #162 - New Diplomatic Features

Hello everyone!

Today we thought we’d talk about some of the smaller changes coming to diplomacy with the free 2.6 update. Although the Galactic Community and the reworked federations are sure to have a large impact on galactic diplomacy, it's also important to talk about the smaller things!

Envoys
One of the more important things we’ve added are the Envoys. Envoys function very similar to Diplomats in EU4, and they are required for certain diplomatic actions such as:
  • Improve / Harm Relations – it is now possible to send an Envoy to improve or harm relations which can affect Opinion by up to (-400 / +400 ). More on Opinion and Relations later.
  • Assigned to Federation (to increase monthly Cohesion by +1)
  • Assigned to Galactic Community (to increase Diplomatic Weight)
upload_2019-11-28_10-28-45.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-6.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-20.png

Although Envoys are characters, they do not currently have any character-mechanics such as traits. We didn’t think it would be fun to have to micromanage and switch Envoys around to better fit certain jobs depending on their traits.

Diplomacy Interface Updates
We’ve finally gotten around to give a bunch of diplomacy-related interfaces a facelift! First up, let’s talk a little about the general diplomacy screen.

You are now able to more clearly see things such as Civics, Origins, Relative Power breakdowns, your ongoing diplomatic agreements, and also the new diplomatic stances!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-2.png

This Hegemonic subordinate was kind enough to act as a model for the new diplo screen!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-30.png

Declaring rivalry never looked so appealing.

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-57.png

The diplomatic offers are now a bit more clear on what is going on (not final text). A downside, however, is that it's now much harder to fool colleagues into becoming your vassal in our internal multiplayer sessions.

Diplomatic Stances
Sometimes we like concept that our colleagues have put into some of our other games, and the diplomatic stances from Imperator: Rome were a good example. Although not exactly the same, we like the general idea. We wanted empires to be able to set a diplomatic stance that dictates their behaviour towards other empires on a galactic stage.

upload_2019-11-28_10-31-19.png

Diplomatic Stances are Policies and can be changed once every 10 years. There are a bunch of different stances, and some may also be unique to certain empire types (e.g. Isolationist is called Mercantile for Megacorporations).

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-17.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-7.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-55.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-37.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-27.png

Stances are designed to be quite different, and to facilitate different playstyles. Perceptive readers might notice that the Belligerent stance seems very similar to Supremacist, and that is true, except that Supremacist stance is designed for all empires that want to be “a big player”. Supremacist empires will dislike other empires with the same stance, so it is almost like a soft rivalry of sorts.

Stances also have some effect on internal politics, as some of your factions may have certain preferences when it comes to your foreign policy.

Relations and Opinion
We wanted an easier way to measure how the diplomatic relations between two empires is doing, so we’ve added a new aggregate value called Relations. Relations exists in different levels ranging from Terrible <- Tense <- Neutral -> Positive -> Excellent, and they do have an effect on which type of diplomatic actions that are available.

We want diplomacy to be less fickle, and more mechanical. Players should now have more ability to influence what other empires’ opinions are of them. Overall diplomacy should feel less static and more prone to evolving over time.

Form Federation requires Excellent Relations, and pacts like Migrations, Research or Commercial require Positive Relations. Similarly, Rivalries require Terrible Relations. This is also the case in player-to-player diplomacy, so it’s important to maintain a good standing.

Some of these restrictions can be bypassed by having an Envoy to harm or improve relations.

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-53.png

Favors
Finally we want to talk about Favors. Although Favors were primarily added to give players agency within the Galactic Community, they can also be used to influence the AIs likelihood of accepting certain diplomatic agreements.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-11.png

Favors is a new mechanic that allows you to increase your Diplomatic Weight for certain votes or proposals in the Galactic Community. An empire can owe another empire up to 10 Favors, and each Favor will increase Diplomatic Weight by “10%”.

For example – Empire B owes 10 Favors to Empire A. Empire A spends influence to call in all 10 Favors and adds 100% of the Diplomatic Weight that Empire B has. Empire A will add the Diplomatic Weight from Empire B, for a specific vote, without Empire B losing their Diplomatic Weight.

In effect, Favors allows an empire to manipulate vote results towards their point of view. It is not possible to Call in Favors when an empire is already voting the same way as you are. Multiple empires can call in favors from the same empire, and it's designed in this way to reduce the complexity of having to figure out which favors should have priority, or which favors should matter more.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-30.png

Pretty please. You owe me.

In addition to the Galactic Community, Favors can also be called in to increase acceptance chance by +5 when offering certain diplomatic deals.

Favors can be gained through diplomatic trades, or or some cases randomly through events.

---

That is all for this week! Next week we’ll be back with some more details on the Juggernaut and the Mega Shipyard.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am also interested in how favors are earned. Can you just buy them with energy credits? If yes, then gaining favors might be super easy, which could potentially lead to the galactic community votes being too easily controlled by the player. On the other hand, we would finally have something to spend all that surplus energy on other than the slot-machines...

Also, what is the maximum number of envoys you can employ? If they are just like regular leaders in that you can recruit them for some energy, they have some energy as upkeep, and they don't go away except when they die of old age, then it would be pretty easy to have hundreds of envoys by the midgame, which sounds a bit broken.

Will there be some changes to vassalls with this update?
So far they are completely useless as without the resource bonus the AI is incapable to play the game.

And even the mechanics surrounding them are questionable at best.

I fear PDX has given up on vassalls and sells Hegemonies as workaround.

I am also interested in how favors are earned. Can you just buy them with energy credits? If yes, then gaining favors might be super easy, which could potentially lead to the galactic community votes being too easily controlled by the player. On the other hand, we would finally have something to spend all that surplus energy on other than the slot-machines...

Also, what is the maximum number of envoys you can employ? If they are just like regular leaders in that you can recruit them for some energy, they have some energy as upkeep, and they don't go away except when they die of old age, then it would be pretty easy to have hundreds of envoys by the midgame, which sounds a bit broken.

I would hope that favours can be exchanged for influence, or given freely with a trade deal. Forego the influence cost at the voting stage, and allow a method of earning influence (which seems like it will be even more stretched a resource with multiple envoys)

Looks good, and perhaps offers a way to do something about that bugbear of mine - the Enigmatic Engineering ascension perk. It would fit the flavor of it to make your relative technology level with other empires an unknown (since they cannot reverse-engineer your tech). Just a thought, since there's a rework of diplomacy going on :D

I've got to agree that the "expansionist" diplomatic stance seems a bit ... weak, compared to the others, unless that +15% colony growth speed is multiplicative, not additive (looking at you, +50% technologies). And even then it'd need to also come with a pop growth boost to be on par with +10% naval cap or +25% diplomatic weight.

Also, how is the number of available envoys determined?

Bit of a mixed reaction for me on this DD, sadly :(

On one side, nice new UI, I like the idea of favours and diplomatic stances, but on the other, while I do appreciate a return of embassies under the form of envoys, I'm a bit worried that their impact (-400/+400 ?) is waaaaay too big and it's going to make every other diplomatic modifier (past being omnicidal) useless. I'm also a bit sad that nothing is said about adding more variety to Attitudes, the whole thing feels a bit flat right now by being mostly on the "Hostile" to "Friendly" scale without any consideration for power levels (according to the wiki, there are a few attitudes related to it, but I frankly have never seen any of those in game). I really wish we could have more granular relations, with weak friendly empires seeking our protection, recently-befriended former enemies being open to a few diplomatic options but utterly opposed to anything huge and long-term, treacherous attitudes (probably for empires that hate your guts while you like them, for example) where the other empire would try to pull you into one-sided deals to milk your empire as much as possible, etc.

Then there's obviously the question of vassals, but I imagine that a possible rework of that mechanic could cover an entire DD on its own, so I'm open to the possibility that it's just something you guys just haven't talked about yet.

Still, I wouldn't want to end up on a bad note, so good luck with whatever's next !

So, with expansionist I would give bonuses to station influence and claim costs rather than colony development speed, in exchange for the increased border friction and increased threat values.

With isolationist, I would ditch the border friction malus and add an increased cost to both claims and star base expansion and keep the unity and administration bonuses and the existing diplomacy malus's.

With co-operative I would increase claim costs and belligerent should have some diplomacy maluses.

I saw this image and something I noticed immediately: Hivemind rulers still do not have any traits!

Please give Hivemind rulers traits and access to agendas just like regular empires. Hiveminds are missing out on so many bonuses because of it. Obviously you have to exclude negative traits like arrested developement.

There is no reason the huge hivemind entitiy is so much worse at governing over an entire empire than some random retired admiral who got elected as president and now makes every single battleship cheaper. And somehow that President als has the "scientific leap" agenda, increasing empire research speed by 10%. Hiveminds already have much less interactions like factions, -30 relation with non Hiveminds, less events and so on. Just because they are differen't shouldn't mean they miss out on tons of bonuses. Ruler bonuses are easily worth as much or more than an entire civic!

Why does Isolationist stance increase Border friction so much?
The Xeno smell terrible. (And more importantly, it reduces relations with empires that are encroaching on your territory, similar to how the Xenophobe Fallen Empire reacts.)

A has 100 DW and will vote Yea, B has 120 DW and will vote Nay. A calls 10 Favors on B. Now A has 220 DW and will vote Yea, and B still has 120 DW and will vote... Yea? Nay? Abstain?
B will still vote Nay with their 120 Diplomatic Weight. The favors and influence expended represent some behind the scenes wheeling and dealing. (This also avoids a situation where you as a player are forced to vote against your will, or where the first person to call in favors has an advantage or disadvantage.)

I assume Inward Perfection empires are going to be locked into Isolationist diplo-stance, is that correct?
They have a reduced set of diplomatic stances, but do still have more than Isolationist.

Is it possible to change another country's diplomacy stance...by force?
It's possible to knock a Supremacist back down to Belligerent by humiliating them.

A small things I would like to ask to the devs: Could you add somewhere a small overview of the economies (resource reserves and production) of your vassal empires? It is technically possible but impossibly tedious to know how much an empire produces/consumes by looking to every planet and adding everything. I like to make my vassals functional, and not knowing that they have a serious deficit of resources until their reserves run out and a massive economical downward spiral starts, is not very fun.

I like what I see in these dev diaries, it looks like they are cross pollinating Stellaris with EU4 on many things, but especially for Diplomancy I agree.
The only remark I need to make is for them to also pull the work that was done on the EU4 AI into stellaris and fix the mess that diplo, economy and war AI is right now, because otherwise none of the above matter. Yes, I know that they are not compatible pieces of code, but still they've done the work in the past and they know how to fix this.

Disclaimer:
As participating and replying onto these dev diaries is understood as "product interest from customers", please be aware that what was outlined in the boycott thread and the performance issues thread still stands. We welcome the acknowledgement from the producer of the game of these issues, but we've not "forgiven you and moved along", only providing a remedy for these issues will actually change our minds.