Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announcement Trailer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope there are some more new anomaly's and new unique planets which are not mentioned yet. I totally love the whole new relic concept and what is already mentioned for the dlc but there can never be "enough" story flavor.

I really like it that the next dlc will be about the most interesting and fun parts of the game (exploration and discovery). I wish the big dlc's (like megacorp) wouldn't always be about some big game changers which means all nice older flavor events need an overhaul, but instead being smaller game changes and more new flavor events/storys instead overhauls.

Unfortunately I wont be interested in this dlc because I play 2.1 and hate the economy changes.

Isn't there still broken issues to be fixed before trying to sell more dlc.

Its asking alot to keep selling new altho interesting content when already released content isnt upto functional standard.

And lets not get started on the ai...

Interesting additions but sadly i will miss out

Last edited:
Unfortunately I wont be interested in this dlc because I play 2.1 and hate the economy changes.
I reversed to Niven 2.1.3, that I currently play, because of the changes in the planet management.
After a patch, suddenly, the game would say:
- You don't have enough jobs on this planet
- so you have more criminals
- so you need more cops

It felt like some useless micromanagement (Sim City in space) so I preferred to come back to planetary slots but I probably miss a lot of content by doing so.
Is it as bad as I thought or just some minor unpleasantness that I need to overcome?

So the current development cycle has taken the form of a story pack, then. Ok, cool. Probably more proportional with the publicized changes, which are not major enough to be called a DLC or a major update.

Still, the roadmap mentioned a lot of things far surpassing the content of this story pack. Reworks of diplomacy, federations, the sectors and designation changes... some of which have already been announced in DDs. Are those going to be free features released simultaneously with the story pack?

So the current development cycle has taken the form of a story pack, then. Ok, cool. Probably more proportional with the publicized changes, which are not major enough to be called a DLC or a major update.

Still, the roadmap mentioned a lot of things far surpassing the content of this story pack. Reworks of diplomacy, federations, the sectors and designation changes... some of which have already been announced in DDs. Are those going to be free features released simultaneously with the story pack?

Further balancing and bugfixes related to the massive 2.0 and 2.2 updates is exactly what the game needs now instead of completely reworking diplomacy too.

I especially hope they fix the Crisis, which really haven't adapted to the changes in 2.0/2.2. Even in the dev clash, the Contingency completely broke down, getting stuck purging a couple of planets forever.

Nice idea but this would get old quickly. You meet everyone of the preset empires every game normally. It would get a bit repetitive. It would be nice to have a random empire generator button so i could make new empires to play against...

You can set the pre-mades to not show up and set your custom empires to show up you know.
I dunno why everyone complains about diplomacy, the current one sounds workable to me.
What overhaul I want is government overhaul. Running a Democracy vs. running an Empire should feel more different than it currently is.

While I agree with you on that needing fixing, Diplomacy needs much more to it. There are things you could easily pull in from Europa Universalis alone that could expand the things you could do in game with diplomacy, not to mention there needs to be a way for Federations to unite and not just be glorified bigger defensive pacts.
Is a flavor pack like this done by en entirely different team than the one that handles gameplay/feature expansion packs?

I agree with others that diplomacy, espionage, and several other things not related to warfare or exploration are in need of some attention.

It's in some ways SAD that they didn't start out with them. Espionage alone could have just pilfered things off from EU4's own diplomacy tree with tweaks to fit the way things work in Stellaris.
Watch Space Unicorns be the secret menacing Grey Tempest of this DLC.

They have said they will do it, they have said it'll be a bigger patch, and they have said that they're doing a small patch/DLC first to continue working on the issues that 2.2/Megacorp - as a big patch - brought about.

Honestly it's like they can't please anyone. "We want you to work on a massive patch that reworks diplomacy, somehow magically makes an espionage system work, oh, but also improve performance so I can run 1000 stars on a potato, oh, and also make the AI as brilliant as Napoleon. At the same time."

Diplomacy should have easily been bigger from the beginning. They had games they could draw inspiration from under their own umbrella.
Agree, and this is what I meant. If I am a minority then fine, but to me the game got to a point where diplomacy is the ONE key mechanic still (mainly) stuck in 2016, with only a few minor changes made so far. And diplomacy (let's expand to how empires Interact and affect one another) is a pretty big deal in a strategy game of this kind. What has been discussed in the recent dev diaries and this announcement look cool and very interesting, but waaaaaay down in my priority list.

Anyway, just one opinion among many.
I wouldn't be as peeved about it when it comes to Diplomacy and Espionage were it not for the fact that they HAVE games that have those areas well fleshed out and could have drawn inspiration from.

It's partially a case of expecting more from the company that excells at grand strategy games, and also a case of being annoyed at how too many companies basically release a playable beta as the 'big' release and then continue working on developing the games and adding or fixing things that should have been in in the first place.
Why are these fix civilizations? Why not let them be a random civilizations as every other nation. It would be awsome to investigate these and find out that it is one the civilizations I made. I realy think this would add so much more fun and Paradox missing a hugh oppertunity here.
I can kind of agree with this- why not have some of the precursor civs be randomly generated ones?
Don't forget that they also want it all delivered next week because these issues are game breaking and urgent. ;)

I'll have you know I don't want it delievered next week. I'd be willing to wait three to five months if that's what it took to get a diplomacy expansion first instead.

Isn't there still broken issues to be fixed before trying to sell more dlc.

Its asking alot to keep selling new altho interesting content when already released content isnt upto functional standard.

And lets not get started on the ai...

Interesting additions but sadly i will miss out

It's the same policy they do with CK2, EUIV, and HOI4. Why are people surprised by this?

I seem to remember a *Applies to DLCs published prior to xxth of May.
Sooo...probably not.
Slightly disappointing. As a Major PDX Nerd I have nearly all DLCs :D
Oh well I have Friends who might love free DLC as a gift

It is not like I would not enjoy reading about more content. But, honestly, Stellaris currently feels more like a beta - I am wondering whether this is the right time for DLC ?! :/

It is not like I would not enjoy reading about more content. But, honestly, Stellaris currently feels more like a beta - I am wondering whether this is the right time for DLC ?! :/
Quite possibly. They most likely have a revenue/cash flow plan and Stellaris needs to contribute. They most likely already burned more investment into fixing 2.2. Keep in mind, this is a story pack. So the things will likely have limited impact on the baseline game.
Also they need to get something out to get those of us, who feel it as a beta back into. It would really be interesting to see the number of hardcore Stellaris players, who have stopped playing after 2.2 and how many get lured back with the SP and how many actually ignore it, but that number will never be made public.
A SP has a chance to show what fresh things can be made, that don't impact the game.

I guess it is also kind of testing the waters before a DLC, how the community reacts.

I'm excited for this one! The addition of the relic system and these new archeology events looks really cool, and I'm looking forward to finding out about these new progenitors. I'm a wee bit skeptical of minor artifacts, because I'm a terrible hoarder and I'm worried they'll feel too resource constrained, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

Plus, with the addition of this automation, I'm really looking forward to being able to go wide/Total War without having unholy amounts of micro. Dealing with all my conquests is what killed my DE run.

I'm obviously hoping for performance/AI fixes. And while I definitely want a diplomacy update eventually, I think they need to get sectors into a good place first. The common refrain is that these story packs allow the development team to do programming-light content-heavy releases, and the fact that they're using a proven system from another title means that hopefully it was relatively easy to develop the back end for archeology. If that lets them do things like reduce micromanagement and maybe get a bit done on diplomacy ahead of time, I'm all for that.

Plus, we haven't heard anything about Relic Worlds. I'm very curious to see if they have galaxy spanning consequences like the L-gates do!

Really loving the new Relics UI.

I was also happy to hear that the new Game Director has a background in UI design, i completely agree with his thoughts about visual feedback being very important and something that could use some improvement. As could the UI design of the game in general. The new Relics window already looks a lot more polished and premium than most of the existing UI.

I'm looking forward to this DLC, can never have enough precursors and anomalies :D

Stellaris has a tick, tock release cycle: big release (expansion), little release (story pack). They've explained why they do this multiple times in the past but I acknowledge not everyone may have read all of the developer diaries right back to when the game was released. The Stellaris dev team consists of two types of team member: developer and content producers.

Thedevelopers fix big bugs, performance issues, improve AI, and develop new features like enhanced diplomacy. They would already be working on all of these but the changes are so big that the expansion is still months away.

Content producers create events, fix issues/balance with content (e.g. events, buildings, pops, etc) and do other things related to scripting. It is my understanding that they can't improve the underlying game engine. They are almost like glorified modders.

Paradox release story packs between expansions to keep the content producers busy while the developers are working on fixes and the 'next big thing'. (It is also done to keep making money so that upper management keep investing in Stellaris.) Releasing a story pack does not mean work has slowed down by much on the next expansion (maybe a little though as a developer does need to program the new interfaces and mechanics for this story pack but they are minimal). Releasing this story pack does not mean that they've taken their sights off the next big goal of a diplomacy expansion.

Only time will tell though if the next big expansion is handled better than MegaCorp and with less issues. We can hope that they learn from mistakes. However, please be patient. We will get what you want with features (e.g. diplomacy). Hopefully we will also get the polish and fixes (e.g. major improvements to AI and performance) rather than more bugs and instability.

Like others on the forum, I will be skipping the DLC because the micromanagent of 2.2 is not fun. Its unfortunate because the DLC looks cool, but Stellaris micro isnt how I want to spend my time.

It is unfortunate.

I wonder if the Materialist Fallen Empire (often named Chroniclers or Archivists) will be involved.

The Spiritualist Fallen Empire as well, with all these ancient and potentially holy relics.

As you dig up relics, these Fallen Empires should make requests. New requests and more diverse ways to make them patronizing.

Maybe relic worlds in FE space that show how the FE fell. The event text would be generic or randomized to match the name of the FE species.
ss_fdf3e494a5a66234df98a55e62bd390e17d04b3d.1920x1080.jpg

From Steam page.

Attachments

• ss_fdf3e494a5a66234df98a55e62bd390e17d04b3d.1920x1080.jpg
    ss_fdf3e494a5a66234df98a55e62bd390e17d04b3d.1920x1080.jpg
    1.012,8 KB · Views: 16
Looks like good stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, they're borrowing from CK2's artifact mechanic? I hope this means we'll get more CK2 features.

So what does this mean for current precursor (first league/fen habbanis and others)?

Honestly I never liked the current system, like them spawning in specific place and not being balance in the slightest, so I'm hoping there getting reworked/scrapped.