Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announcement Trailer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is this DLC covered by the free DLC Voucher available trough the PDXCon Tickets?

Is a flavor pack like this done by en entirely different team than the one that handles gameplay/feature expansion packs?

I agree with others that diplomacy, espionage, and several other things not related to warfare or exploration are in need of some attention.

Will we be able to dig out space unicorns in this DLC?
Watch Space Unicorns be the secret menacing Grey Tempest of this DLC.
I agree with others that diplomacy, espionage, and several other things not related to warfare or exploration are in need of some attention.
They have said they will do it, they have said it'll be a bigger patch, and they have said that they're doing a small patch/DLC first to continue working on the issues that 2.2/Megacorp - as a big patch - brought about.

Honestly it's like they can't please anyone. "We want you to work on a massive patch that reworks diplomacy, somehow magically makes an espionage system work, oh, but also improve performance so I can run 1000 stars on a potato, oh, and also make the AI as brilliant as Napoleon. At the same time."

Diplomacy expansion is honestly something I'd prefer to see as being done sooner rather than later, as there's so much damned wasted potential when it comes to the Diplomacy area of the game.

Heck, this almost feels like something you could instead have as a full part of a free patch instead as this, to me at least, doesn't seem like anything really big. Sure cool and adds flavor, and will give scientists something to do once you've got the map surveyed, but I mean... I don't see this as having a big impact worthy of being an actual DLC.

Maybe if they reveal that there's going to be a bit more into it then just what we've seen?

Agree, and this is what I meant. If I am a minority then fine, but to me the game got to a point where diplomacy is the ONE key mechanic still (mainly) stuck in 2016, with only a few minor changes made so far. And diplomacy (let's expand to how empires Interact and affect one another) is a pretty big deal in a strategy game of this kind. What has been discussed in the recent dev diaries and this announcement look cool and very interesting, but waaaaaay down in my priority list.

Anyway, just one opinion among many.

Stellaris' cutscene game remains strong. Why not have some of them in game as event videos?

Last edited:
We better be able to go to war in order to gift ourselves with relics.

That were gifted to us and totally not stolen.

Or go to war against savage meatbags simply to add to our collection. Our carefully curated collection. We should be able to collect the meatbags too.

My lord people... "OMG STELLARIS IS SO BROKEN I HATE YOU GUYS YOU BETTER FIX IT"

Same people "OMG WHY IS THE NEXT DLC NOT A COMPLETE REWORK OF THE ENTIRE GAME"

Seriously, this story pack looks amazing. Nice work team.

Sounds good and just the sort of thing that the game needs. Some more stuff to do content implemented in a way that should allow the programmers to continue working on basic improvements.

Will be keeping an eye on reactions after it comes out and buy if it's a solid release.

The story packs tend to be very solid and haven't introduced any game-breaking bugs as far as I can recall.

They have said they will do it, they have said it'll be a bigger patch, and they have said that they're doing a small patch/DLC first to continue working on the issues that 2.2/Megacorp - as a big patch - brought about.
Thanks for passing that along. I haven't checked the Stellaris forum in a while and I haven't seen any news about serious plans to address peacetime activities like diplomacy and espionage. I think exploration has always been excellent in Stellaris, and warfare is relatively okay. My question about whether there is a flavor/story team and a mechanics/expansion team is to get a sense of whether we should expect to get alternating DLC - flavor pack, then feature expansion, then flavor pack, and on and on. Because I'd be happy with that. And if that is what PDX has said they are doing, that's great. Is there a link or a DD that outlines that?

Uncover the ruins of long-dead civilizations in Relic Worlds to piece together the story of their rise and eventual downfall. Mine their derelict cities and ships to unearth the truth, discover powerful relics and harness them for your own empire’s ambitions.

Stellaris: Ancient Relics includes:

Said Ancient Relics: Collect and acquire valuable relics in your adventures as rewards for overcoming major crises or after completing a dig at an archaeological site and solving the chapters. Each relic gives significant benefits to your empire to aid in your interstellar escapades.

Those Who Came Before: Encounter clues about two extinct Precursor civilizations, the Baol and the Zroni, the former a sprawling hivemind of plantoids, the latter some of the most the most powerful psionics to have ever lived. Players can investigate these home systems to understand who they were and, more importantly, what one can learn from their demise.

Relic Worlds: Once filled with teeming life, these Relic Worlds now lie dead, replete with desolate ruins and dormant mysteries. Players can excavate guaranteed archeological sites on these worlds to explore these remnants and bring to light powerful relics and artifacts.

Dig In: Hit the dirt on a variety of enigmatic and alien worlds with more archeology sites available for your empire to study… or plunder. Each site begins a story with between one and six chapters to investigate. Retrace the history to discover artifacts and relics that can be boons to your empire.

Matter of Artifacts: Learning from history is much more than parables and antiques, it can often be the key to understanding one’s own place in the galaxy. Utilizing archaeological research, discover Minor Artifacts, a new resource type which can help empower one’s empire.

Don't forget to tune into our stream at 16:00 CEST to get the first look at Ancient Relics on https://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
I hope you guys add more events that are not just discoverable. I mean we need some political events, maybe revellion events or some heir or crown disputes or democracy events that happen from time to time. Like crusader kings 2

I hope you guys add more events that are not just discoverable. I mean we need some political events, maybe revellion events or some heir or crown disputes or democracy events that happen from time to time. Like crusader kings 2
Sounds like something that would be really cool in a diplomacy focused update/Expansion.

Those Who Came Before: Encounter clues about two extinct Precursor civilizations, the Baol and the Zroni, the former a sprawling hivemind of plantoids, the latter some of the most the most powerful psionics to have ever lived. Players can investigate these home systems to understand who they were and, more importantly, what one can learn from their demise.

Why are these fix civilizations? Why not let them be a random civilizations as every other nation. It would be awsome to investigate these and find out that it is one of the civilizations I made. I realy think this would add so much more fun and Paradox missing a hugh oppertunity here.

Last edited:
Honestly it's like they can't please anyone. "We want you to work on a massive patch that reworks diplomacy, somehow magically makes an espionage system work, oh, but also improve performance so I can run 1000 stars on a potato, oh, and also make the AI as brilliant as Napoleon. At the same time."
Don't forget that they also want it all delivered next week because these issues are game breaking and urgent. ;)

I was burned by MegaCorp. I was saddened by the large amount of issues and lack of polish. I will be voting with my wallet and will not buy the next major expansion at launch (and am considering waiting for first sale like I did with CK2). However, I've always enjoyed these minor expansions and they generally don't add too much that cause the game to super bug out. This looks really good and I likely will be sucked into buying it pretty quickly after release. (Oh and I'm looking forward to what Guilli's Planet Modifiers and More Events Mods and other modders can do with the archeology interface. Paradox, please make it very easy for modding without needing to overwrite base files to add more.)