Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announcement Trailer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I mean, I'm always happy about more additions to Stellaris, but I really don't care about pre-written stories. I prefer to make my own. Then again, I'm confident that the next add-on will be a major one dealing with diplomacy and espionage...

People are saying the diplomacy update will be coming out some time soon. Modders will be able to make custom stories with the features added in the update and players will be able to use these features , with their stories , without having Ancient Relics. So you could definitely sculpt your own stories. Not sure if that's exactly how you meant it but there you go. :D

It is not like I would not enjoy reading about more content. But, honestly, Stellaris currently feels more like a beta - I am wondering whether this is the right time for DLC ?! :/
Quite possibly. They most likely have a revenue/cash flow plan and Stellaris needs to contribute. They most likely already burned more investment into fixing 2.2. Keep in mind, this is a story pack. So the things will likely have limited impact on the baseline game.
Also they need to get something out to get those of us, who feel it as a beta back into. It would really be interesting to see the number of hardcore Stellaris players, who have stopped playing after 2.2 and how many get lured back with the SP and how many actually ignore it, but that number will never be made public.
A SP has a chance to show what fresh things can be made, that don't impact the game.

I guess it is also kind of testing the waters before a DLC, how the community reacts.

Stellaris does very much feel, since they made the choice to get rid of two of the FTL's, like it's still in Beta. I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't expressed that the game is supposed to be a finished product the way it has to some extent. I also recognize that this is a growing trend and model for most of Paradox's titles and for other companies as well, as it's the DLC era of gaming.

I do like the idea of it, I just wish instead we'd get news of the expansion first, even if it's something that's like the better half of a year away.

Stellaris has a tick, tock release cycle: big release (expansion), little release (story pack). They've explained why they do this multiple times in the past but I acknowledge not everyone may have read all of the developer diaries right back to when the game was released. The Stellaris dev team consists of two types of team member: developer and content producers.

Thedevelopers fix big bugs, performance issues, improve AI, and develop new features like enhanced diplomacy. They would already be working on all of these but the changes are so big that the expansion is still months away.

Content producers create events, fix issues/balance with content (e.g. events, buildings, pops, etc) and do other things related to scripting. It is my understanding that they can't improve the underlying game engine. They are almost like glorified modders.

Paradox release story packs between expansions to keep the content producers busy while the developers are working on fixes and the 'next big thing'. (It is also done to keep making money so that upper management keep investing in Stellaris.) Releasing a story pack does not mean work has slowed down by much on the next expansion (maybe a little though as a developer does need to program the new interfaces and mechanics for this story pack but they are minimal). Releasing this story pack does not mean that they've taken their sights off the next big goal of a diplomacy expansion.

Only time will tell though if the next big expansion is handled better than MegaCorp and with less issues. We can hope that they learn from mistakes. However, please be patient. We will get what you want with features (e.g. diplomacy). Hopefully we will also get the polish and fixes (e.g. major improvements to AI and performance) rather than more bugs and instability.

It's nice to read this, though that doesn't negate the worries I and others still have.

Now this is probably the FIRST big thing from this that excites me about this Story Pack. This is something that is awesome and exciting.
Looks like good stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, they're borrowing from CK2's artifact mechanic? I hope this means we'll get more CK2 features.

That would also be a good sign that their finally, FINALLY, borrowing from their other Grand Strategy games.

Horizon Signal not being game breaking?
Well the game worked, but....

I said no game breaking bugs. I didn't say it was necessarily perfectly balanced. I imagine there will be some balance changes, as there always have been and always will be. I suspect you know what I meant.

So the current development cycle has taken the form of a story pack, then. Ok, cool. Probably more proportional with the publicized changes, which are not major enough to be called a DLC or a major update.

Still, the roadmap mentioned a lot of things far surpassing the content of this story pack. Reworks of diplomacy, federations, the sectors and designation changes... some of which have already been announced in DDs. Are those going to be free features released simultaneously with the story pack?

All I'll say is that I figure at least one of your major issues will be addressed in the next expansion pack. Hopefully as part of the free features released alongside the next expansion. (I feel like if they rework Diplomacy, that should be a free feature, since it's fixing a mechanic that is, arguably broken.) If you feel the story pack isn't worth your ten dollars, then you don't have to buy it. I'm always willing to pay ten bucks for more content, even if its just additions to what's already there within the systems we have. I suspect there'd be complaints about how long it was between DLCs if there weren't story packs. (I'm not saying the complaints would come from you or those who feel as you do.)

I know you can't make everyone happy, but I do appreciate that Paradox is trying their best, while still maintaining a successful commercial model. They're in this to make money, but it's clear they actually enjoy their games (watch the dev clashes) and they actually listen to those of us who are on the forums and make our voices heard. I'd like to see a deeper Diplomacy and I'd like an espionage system to exist. But those are major changes that have to be balanced, and I want it to work when it does come out. Because as we've seen with sectors you can add something that doesn't work, and as we've seen with sectors again several times since, you can change something without fixing it.

And the latest sectors rework (the first one I'm actually hopeful about) has been announced as a free feature in the next patch. (The one that coincides with this story pack's release.)

I said no game breaking bugs. I didn't say it was necessarily perfectly balanced. I imagine there will be some balance changes, as there always have been and always will be. I suspect you know what I meant.
Hey, no I did not mean balance. HS was imba and I was fine with it. However it was broken in terms of factions. All those factions hating you, for the ruler not being of the core species, because the mutation, event chains/research that could not be finished because something, etc. It worked, but it caused turbulence that was not intended and wasn't fixed until after double digit months. That is what I meant.

If you feel the story pack isn't worth your ten dollars, then you don't have to buy it. I'm always willing to pay ten bucks for more content, even if its just additions to what's already there within the systems we have.

(facepalm) granted, but I never even touched that issue, have I? FYI I too buy on the spot all DLC, even if just to support the game development.

I am surprised to see how often that happens in this forum. People give opinions as an attempt of contribution to the discussion, and soon enough you see someone saying "if you don't like it, don't buy it". As Dave Chapelle says, "word?". So if one doesn't like it, he doesn't have to buy it? Astounding. It makes me a bit sad that discussions eventually degenerate into this kind of argument.

Uncover the ruins of long-dead civilizations in Relic Worlds to piece together the story of their rise and eventual downfall. Mine their derelict cities and ships to unearth the truth, discover powerful relics and harness them for your own empire’s ambitions.

Stellaris: Ancient Relics includes:

Said Ancient Relics: Collect and acquire valuable relics in your adventures as rewards for overcoming major crises or after completing a dig at an archaeological site and solving the chapters. Each relic gives significant benefits to your empire to aid in your interstellar escapades.

Those Who Came Before: Encounter clues about two extinct Precursor civilizations, the Baol and the Zroni, the former a sprawling hivemind of plantoids, the latter some of the most the most powerful psionics to have ever lived. Players can investigate these home systems to understand who they were and, more importantly, what one can learn from their demise.

Relic Worlds: Once filled with teeming life, these Relic Worlds now lie dead, replete with desolate ruins and dormant mysteries. Players can excavate guaranteed archeological sites on these worlds to explore these remnants and bring to light powerful relics and artifacts.

Dig In: Hit the dirt on a variety of enigmatic and alien worlds with more archeology sites available for your empire to study… or plunder. Each site begins a story with between one and six chapters to investigate. Retrace the history to discover artifacts and relics that can be boons to your empire.

Matter of Artifacts: Learning from history is much more than parables and antiques, it can often be the key to understanding one’s own place in the galaxy. Utilizing archaeological research, discover Minor Artifacts, a new resource type which can help empower one’s empire.

Don't forget to tune into our stream at 16:00 CEST to get the first look at Ancient Relics on https://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Yes It looks great and all but please fix what's busted in the current build. How on earth can you have a 20€ dlc based on trade that introduces a bug that stops you from even trading minerals goods etc? Sectors? Which genius decided that it would be fun to micromanage an entire galactic empire? Come on please sort these things out or you are going to start haemorrhaging clients. No one likes being taken for a ride. Best of luck

Yes It looks great and all but please fix what's busted in the current build. How on earth can you have a 20€ dlc based on trade that introduces a bug that stops you from even trading minerals goods etc? Sectors? Which genius decided that it would be fun to micromanage an entire galactic empire?

I believe that the general game update that accompanies this DLC will address these issues.

Yes It looks great and all but please fix what's busted in the current build. How on earth can you have a 20€ dlc based on trade that introduces a bug that stops you from even trading minerals goods etc? Sectors? Which genius decided that it would be fun to micromanage an entire galactic empire? Come on please sort these things out or you are going to start haemorrhaging clients. No one likes being taken for a ride. Best of luck

From your comment, it makes it very clear you haven't been following the dev diaries. The FREE FEATURES coming along with this expansion are sectors you can properly set/alter, and much smarter automation to planets.

(facepalm) granted, but I never even touched that issue, have I? FYI I too buy on the spot all DLC, even if just to support the game development.

I am surprised to see how often that happens in this forum. People give opinions as an attempt of contribution to the discussion, and soon enough you see someone saying "if you don't like it, don't buy it". As Dave Chapelle says, "word?". So if one doesn't like it, he doesn't have to buy it? Astounding. It makes me a bit sad that discussions eventually degenerate into this kind of argument.

Clearly I misread your tone, and for that I apologize. I now see what sarcasm looks like coming from you. I won't be making that mistake again. I feel that I owe you a substantive response to your earlier post.

So the current development cycle has taken the form of a story pack, then. Ok, cool. Probably more proportional with the publicized changes, which are not major enough to be called a DLC or a major update.

Still, the roadmap mentioned a lot of things far surpassing the content of this story pack. Reworks of diplomacy, federations, the sectors and designation changes... some of which have already been announced in DDs. Are those going to be free features released simultaneously with the story pack?

I think the reason I misunderstood here was that you said it was not major enough to be called a DLC or a major update. I consider storypacks DLC because they have to be downloaded and they have content, but I think that's where I misunderstood you and thought you were being sarcastic.

I would LOVE it if those changes were free and released in time with this story pack, but I doubt we'll see those this cycle, and we'll probably have to wait for a patch around the time of the next DLC before we see any (aside from the aforementioned sectors fix, that hopefully will actually finally fix sectors). I hope that Federation fixes come along with a Diplomacy fix, since federations are a major part of the focus of the Diplomacy Tree. As it is, I never bother with the Diplomacy tree because I never bother with a federation, and so it feels like a waste of a tree.

I suspect however that espionage will be a part of a DLC, rather than a free change, since it would be an added system, rather than a fix to an existing system. Or maybe it'll be an underlying part of the next major DLC where you'll get the basic system for free, but need the DLC to take full advantage of it. I don't know.

In other words: we more or less agree on this stuff. I trust Paradox well enough by now. I'm sure they'll come through for us as soon as they can get a working fix.

Again, sorry about the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" thing. I seriously did misread your post.

Quite possibly. They most likely have a revenue/cash flow plan and Stellaris needs to contribute. They most likely already burned more investment into fixing 2.2. Keep in mind, this is a story pack. So the things will likely have limited impact on the baseline game.
Also they need to get something out to get those of us, who feel it as a beta back into. It would really be interesting to see the number of hardcore Stellaris players, who have stopped playing after 2.2 and how many get lured back with the SP and how many actually ignore it, but that number will never be made public.
A SP has a chance to show what fresh things can be made, that don't impact the game.

I guess it is also kind of testing the waters before a DLC, how the community reacts.

Good analysis. I guess I'm one of those players who stopped after 2.2 -- and I am being lured back by this one. The sci-fi story elements are what make this game fun for me, especially in the exploration / endgame phases. Hopefully the story elements in this pack will carry into the midgame, which was always the least interesting part to me.

From your comment, it makes it very clear you haven't been following the dev diaries. The FREE FEATURES coming along with this expansion are sectors you can properly set/alter, and much smarter automation to planets.
That is true. Thank you I'll take a look at those diaries.

I suspect however that espionage will be a part of a DLC, rather than a free change, since it would be an added system, rather than a fix to an existing system. Or maybe it'll be an underlying part of the next major DLC where you'll get the basic system for free, but need the DLC to take full advantage of it. I don't know.

In other words: we more or less agree on this stuff. I trust Paradox well enough by now. I'm sure they'll come through for us as soon as they can get a working fix.

Quite right. And I must say that, although half of the time I feel that future announced changes could easily be better (the other half IS good though), in general I am quite happy with Paradox and its installments way of improving games. Of all complaints we read out there, the one I think is most unfair is the criticism of the DLC habit. It has brought us so many things in every game so far. Even I:R is getting unfair fire, as far as I am concerned.

I think it might finally be time when this comes out to realize my weird Fantasy RPG idea with magic, space monsters, elves, dragon hunting and relics...maybe a fallen empire or four...

WIth this expansion, the last four of the first five will be in range.

And as Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So....

Until they fix the daily pop/job calculation lag--likely only possible by getting rid of both entirely--I'm not giving them more money.
Buying Megacorp was a mistake that I will not repeat.

TIll now i bought every dlc, and even the last one i might have enjoyed it, but the performance is right now such a big mess, in the best case i can play the first 100 years and after it, it slows so painful down, it just doesnt make anykind of fun anymore for me in that state, and i already have a strong cpu. So till there is no real performance boost here i cant simply play that game anymore and buy no dlc.