• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 5th of March 2019

Good morning. As was foretold, I am back to talk about our thoughts on overhauling the map of the Balkans for the big end-of-year European update. Once again I’ll begin with a disclaimer that everything here is very much subject to change as we continue to listen to feedback and iterate on our own ideas throughout the year.

balkans_old.jpg

Behold: the Balkans in patch 1.4. And for reference, here are the Balkans as they are now, in patch 1.28:

balkans_new.jpg

The big change here is simply “more provinces”. Albania has been split up substantially, we have more Aegean Islands, and provinces density in Bulgaria is higher.

There is still, in my opinion, plenty of room for new provinces in Greece and Bulgaria. For the mainland we want to achieve a similar level of density as we see in Anatolia. One of the most obvious things we can do is split the Yanya province by adding Arta, one of the last Epirote cities to fall to the Ottomans. The return of the Epirus tag in 1444 heralds another change: the removal of the Corfu tag, at least in 1444. In the game right now, Corfu is a vassal of Venice and ruled by monarchs who were in fact the independent rulers of the Despotate of Epirus. This will change.

Other possibilities include a province that would more accurately reflect the Ottoman-Moldavian border in Silistria/Basarabia, a further split in the Aegean between Scio and Lesbos, and a separate province centered on the city of Tarnovo in Bulgaria.

greece_suggestion.jpg

This suggestion by Mingmung, and others very much like it, show a step in the right direction. Beyond what I’ve already mentioned, I like the idea of splitting Cephalonia from the Corfu province to add a little tactical depth to Epirus, as well as the addition of Corinth in the south. We are however unlikely to add extra provinces on Cyprus or Crete: outside of very large islands like Sardinia and Sicily we prefer to keep such places restrained to single provinces.

Moving north-west, there’s a lot that could be done in Serbia, Bosnia, and the Dalmatian coast. There’s room for a few more provinces of course, though not quite so many as we might need further south.

balkans_suggestion.jpg

This very aesthetically pleasing suggestion by ootats has a lot going for it. Representing Herzegovina/the Duchy of Saint Sava as a Bosnian vassal in 1444 is an interesting possibility. It also puts the province density on a level similar to that of Hungary, which I feel is a good target to aim for in the region. It is however unlikely that we’ll be adding both the Venetian provinces of Scutari and Cataro.

We’ve been reading your comments on the previous dev diary, and they’ve provoked a lot of discussion on Team Content Design. One of the results of these discussions is that we’re more open to a Como province that would split away from the northern part of what is now Milan. When the time comes for implementation it's certainly something we're willing to try out.

And that's all for today! Next week I invite you to join me on a wild ride through the confusing nightmarish mess that was Early Modern Germany. Until then, I look forward to more of your comments and suggestions.

Albania have more core. Kosovo are albanian not serbs. And albanian are not 'South Slavic'

This is a long debate. I have said what Kosovo is now. For now, Kosovo has dominance of Albanian culture.

The history of Balkan is to much complicate and one game can't repair this.
Why must we always get unfounded, ridiculous complaints such as this. Do you have any actual scholarly information to represent this?

Of course not, so then we must have another debate (or argument) on
Culture In the Balkans and have a perfectly good thread with nice suggestions, compliments, etc; ruined.

Just because a culture is present in a province does not ever mean that is the majority. Or that modern borders mean borders from 571 years ago.

(Not complaining about those who have given posts which outline why the above thinking is wrong, just annoyed at those who never seem to care about history and only of their interests)

Falsifying history. One of the greatest plagues of modern world.
Quite Accurate.
————————
On the topic on of the DD, nice to see some province proposals for the Balkans, definitely going in the right direction here. Can’t wait to see the plans for Germany next week!

Last edited:
They are literally spending an entire year just for this single DLC that will be released at the end of the year. I doubt they'd spend so much time just for map updates.
Also, they already listed all their plans for this DLC in an earlier DD.

Funnily enough, people who mock Balkan Nationalism are nowadays are even worse than any Balkan nationalists here :rolleyes:

Europe, Catholicism, and HRE. They talked about it several DDs ago.

We still have zero clue what that means besides more provinces, which one of the least exciting things to be honest

Feels nice to be included in the Dev Diary @Mingmung :cool: I agree with your comments @neondt, though i hope that it does mean that we at least get Cataro rather than Scutari - it makes sense for Scutari to be under the current Lezhe province, since Albanian estradiots moved to Scutari under Venice anyway.

Right now, four of us are giving finishing touches to Balkan-wide suggestion. @Dieselface is putting in massive work as of late and soon one of us will post it. When reffering to Croatia, look no further than @Sanguine Caesar, who came up with some really original ideas on how to improve Dalmatia and wider Croatia and Istria region.

I really hope it gets called "Duchy of St. Sava" as that is a great name.

Also I really hope Italy gets similar treatment!

Seeing it from these pictures, the Venetian region (Venezia, Dalmatia, Lika etc) needs a rework. They are almost, if not 100% as they were in launch. I feel something should be done there. (Not an expert, so I won't issue any ideas on it)

I personally think there's enough provinces on the map, even tho I'd like my country to be better represented on the map I'll sustain from it. I will, however, point out that in Croatian national ideas the text for the second idea 'Pearl of the Adriatic' refers to Split as the 'Pearl' while a simple google search will tell you that it is Dubrovnik that is nicknamed the 'Pearl of the Adriatic'

Yay for Como and Croatia

Other ideas sound good too, I think splitting Cyprus might be good though.
Regarding Venice.. I really hope for a merchant republic rework!

Basically it was what it was historically - dev team represented it as they researched, then Ottomans came and messed up the area. There should be probably tons of event changing religions and cultures and development in provinces as people converted or moved away. I don't remember seeing any of these events - but i played Ottos a long time ago.
I have written about Ottoman Empire's population transfers in Balkans which can be added by new mechanics and events. But it would be hard to design for sure.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ferent-approach-to-pops-paramilitary.1148525/

I'm quite disappointed that there's no intention to split up Cyprus or Crete. Both of them are fairly big islands and they've definetely had plenty history and wealth coming out of them to justify being denser than Corsica or Götland. At the very least, Cyprus would do away with a three province state in a region full of rich 4 province states, so Çukurova won't be a wasted slot.

Then call her name Latins like the Ottoman Empire with Ottomans
That's a terrible name, what eu4 needs is dynamic names depending on government type. Vic2 has it for all ideologies and vic2 has way more ideologies than the three base government types of eu4.
Hopefully imperial circles appear in game.
Isn't those what got us the current cultural layout of Germany? I would much rather see stem duchies. Or rather I would like to see the circles play a part politically and the cultures be based on the stem duchies instead.

Last edited:
Hey devs, any thoughts on adding independent Lovech ruled by this guy? Playable, formable Bulgaria perhaps?

Also, for the Latin Empire, why not just call it by the historical Latin name: Imperium Romaniae? Or maybe just call it (Latin) Romania and have it be one of the nations required not to exist for (Vlach) Romania to be formed?

Last edited:
I know it's not really in theme with this DD,but can we increase the number of AE reduction modifiers.Adding +500 new provinces and keeping the same AE calculation is going to be a nightmare.

Two things.
First, I always will love a more detailed map. Especially splitting Silistria, which should be in an emergency patch. :)
Second, with all the new features how do you guys decide who gets unique ideas, missions, and "bonus buttons."

I know it's not really in theme with this DD,but can we increase the number of AE reduction modifiers.Adding +500 new provinces and keeping the same AE calculation is going to be a nightmare.

While increasing #of provinces and overall dev DOES make the game harder, it's a healthy kind of difficulty, unlike corruption for territory artificial ramp for instance. I don't think it's something that should be addressed.

Add the Bosnian culture already, I mean there is Transilvanyan culture why not Bosnian? That annoys me a lot... Also if possible add some sort of heresy flavour to Bosnia, in form of events if you already don't want to add the heresy itself. And if you are so much against adding a Bosnian culture, I have no idea why though, but if you are then atleast add the possibility of a Bosnian culture appearing via an event or something. Thank you...

Seeing it from these pictures, the Venetian region (Venezia, Dalmatia, Lika etc) needs a rework. They are almost, if not 100% as they were in launch. I feel something should be done there. (Not an expert, so I won't issue any ideas on it)

Lika shouldn't be as developed as it is, not should it be woods, it's the way it is because it represents the port city of Rijeka/Fiume which wasn't even in the Hungarian part of the Habsburg empire but in the Austrian part and was a very important trade and military port. Lika should be a 3 dev mountain province with either naval supplies (since EU4 doesn't have wood as a trade good) and Rijeka should be a natural harbor as that it what it quite literally is, one of the most well naturally protected ports in the Adriatic.
When it comes to Dalmatia, again, two cities should be excluded from the province, Zadar/Zara and Split/Spalato. Or maybe simply split it into N.Dalmatia and S.Dalmatia, but the problem there arises from history. Venetians held the coastline and the coastline was rich, the inland of Dalmatia is rather rocky landscape with some pastures and remains undeveloped to this day.

Adding my voice to those who want more impassable terrain— I’d love more in every region of the game, but it makes particular sense in parts of the Balkans. It always makes a region feel much more interesting to me than do new provinces (general desire for better historical accuracy aside).

Also, I know that it’s not relevant to the subject at hand, but I’m going to say again that I’d like improved Portuguese ideas. Just acknowledging that they are a problem would be nice; people have been asking for them since long before Golden Century, and the continued silence about them following that debacle is grating.

Anyway, I’m really glad to see the level of community involvement in the upcoming patch, and enormously appreciate your effort in working with us going forward. Looking forward to the next diary!