• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations!

One week has passed and a new person should be awarded fan of the week, well, that will be @Alex Borhild. ... chosen for his marginally consistent commenting on the No Prey, No Pay AAR through all the hardships that AAR and its author suffered. A true fan.

My congratulations @Alex Borhild .

Very many congratulations @Alex Borhild

Congratulations @Alex Borhild !

Congratulations to @Alex Borhild

Congratulations @Alex Borhild !

Congratulations!

congratulations!

I spent last weekend on vacation, so I was pleasantly surprised when I logged in today. I am very honored to receive my first AwAARd! Thank you all for the congratulations, and now the "work" of choosing my successor begins. :)

A week has passed, and the time has come to crown a new Fan of the Week. This week, I choose @Nikolai . Not only has he been a consistent presence in these forums, his comments earlier this year on my Stellaris AAR "Into the Unknown" were among those that encouraged me to keep writing and posting, even in the face of unforeseen mod-related technical difficulty which forced me to end the AAR shortly after losing most of my fleet.

Attempting to find a new Fan of the Week has reminded me that I would like spend more time in these forums.

A few of my recent favorite AARs, in no particular order:

Nikolai's Republic of Sol: Each update is an overview of a single president's term in office, whether they serve seven years like Reihaneh Abbas (served 2265-2272) or thirty-five years like Afiya Biobaku (served 2350-2385). This is somewhat different from most of the AARs I've read, but it's always interesting to see what has happened.

@volksmarschall 's The Jeremiad: Clearly, the world does not have enough AARs in the format of epic poetry. I've never read the Illiad, the Odyssey, or the Aeneid, but reading this makes me want to hear it sung by a poet while sitting by a fire on a cold winter night.

@LudoOttavio 's Fires of Valyria: I've enjoyed seeing AARs from the recently added Century of Blood bookmark in the CK2 A Game of Thrones mod, and you can't go wrong with dragons, or an AAR based on a footnote about someone who declared themself emperor and vanished with thirty thousand men four hundred years before the series started.

@shalmelo 's The Devils of Jersey: As an American who enjoys the post-apocalyptic setting, I always think the After the End mod for Crusader Kings 2 is fun. I particularly enjoy the style change that occurs when Alice of Jersey, born and raised in the Americanist faith, converts to a new religion.

@PdaFtw 's No Prey, No Pay: Last, but certainly not least, comes this pirate AAR from the CK2 A Game of Thrones mod. A couple years ago I played a game as a Stepstones pirate that I wanted to turn into an AAR, and that's still something I'd like to do one day. Personally, I enjoy raiding in CK2 as a means of getting rich quickly, and I also enjoy the narrative format that PdaFtw uses.

Last edited:
@PdaFtw 's No Prey, No Pay: Last, but certainly not least, comes this pirate AAR from the CK2 A Game of Thrones mod. A couple years ago I played a game as a Stepstones pirate that I wanted to turn into an AAR, and that's still something I'd like to do one day. Personally, I enjoy raiding in CK2 as a means of getting rich quickly, and I also enjoy the narrative format that PdaFtw uses.

Hey @Alex Borhild congratulations! I must say you truly deserve the award! And thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately I still can't dedicate as much time as I'd like to my aar and to this forum's community, which seems particularly friendly and supportive by the way! Recently I've been touring Belgium and the Netherlands (lovely countries) and I'l get back to writting when I can!

Very many congratulations @Nikolai - the nominated is well earned. It is a delight to see one of the most ardent commentatAARs of the current time to be recognised.

"...And it's Nikolai coming up on the outside!"

I can't help it folks, I am a baseball fan and thus a stat-head. This very well deserved nod for @Nikolai puts him close to the running of most times won. @Enewald remains the top of the leader board with @stnylan a close second. But this nod places Nikolai in a solid third place and I cannot think of a better person that deserves it more. Plus, you have now tied the great @Stuyvesant at 7 nods, sir! That is great company! :)

I have said it before and will say it again now - when I think of what "A Fan" is in our world, these four names above plus the sadly absent @GhostWriter...THAT is what this award is all about.

Congratulations on another very well earned nod, @Nikolai! And thank you so much for keeping me and so many others pretty damn cool! :D

Congratulations!

Wow, this is a most welcome and surprising event.:) I am very grateful for receiving this awAARd again - it's an honor! I would never have envisioned this when I first began commenting in AARland, but I am most grateful for the recognition. Thank you @Alex Borhild for the nomination, thank you all for the gratulations. You guys feel like a family - some closer, some further down the family tree. But I feel like home among you all! :)

When it comes to what AARs I follow, those are numberous. I cannot possibly mention them all, nor give them all the recongnition they deserve. I will mention but a few here though, examples of pieces well worth your time. I will try to keep the mentions more or less equally divided between the games.

First and second up, @coz1 's excellent The Rightful King and his followup, now ongoing The Bold Prince. Better writing is seldom seen.

Then I'd like to mention @stnylan 's n00b piece on Victoria II; A VictoriAARn Education - Learning Victoria II with Sweden. While the authAAR is not a n00b in these parts, his playing this game is. And it's a wonder to follow.:)

With CK2 and Victoria II done, it's time to head to HoI4 (boy did I wish I had all the time in the world to mention all the great AARs going on at these boards!). Here I will mention first a written piece, @GDSPathe1 's Divided We Fall A USA Kasierreich AAR, a great piece on my favourite mod - Kaiserreich. But I also feel that HoI4's forum needs a recognition of a rather new kind of AAR. The YouTube Let's Play. I am most fond of the written AARs, I must admit. But there is much good reporting done in video form too, and I feel @SamEskenazi 's Kaiserreich Austria | Habsburg Return! is worthy a mention.:)

In Stellaris' subforum I will bring forward an AAR that have been rebooted twice now, but the writing and story keeps sending me back. I present you @hjarg 's Even Better Hautevilles, a story on the world led by the CK2 de Hauteville family.

Kaiserreich and Stellaris AARs, and to a slighly lesser degree CK2 is where my main reading time is done, I have to confess. But EU4 has one major story going on, which has so big chapters I almost choke :)p), but which are most entertaining to read. It reads like a real history book most often. I present you @JerseyGiants88 's Italian Ambitions - A Florence AAR

And with that I leave you to read, comment, write and be merry, and I will return with a new nomination in a week's time.:)