• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I'll also be passing in advance))

((Could you put my name aside Avindian? I will be away for a month or so, and in the end I don't think I will be able to participate))

((I'll also be passing in advance))

((Noted!))

((Could you put my name aside Avindian? I will be away for a month or so, and in the end I don't think I will be able to participate))

((Well, I certainly hope that the AAR is still around in a month or two, but I completely understand if you'd like to wait and join back at another time. For now, I've removed you from the roster. Admin hat on.))

There are presently two characters left of the original fifteen, barring randomly created characters. Since, as Andre Massena put it so eloquently earlier, we would like to get this AAR started before next year, I will close out the character selection process on Wednesday at midnight (-6 GMT). Any player without a character will have to wait until after the first update. We have four players left: @Firehound15, @Qwerty7, @KekiusMaximus, and @Andre Massena. We'll give Firehound until noon tomorrow (-6 GMT) to pick a character; at that point, he'll be skipped (and get the bonus).

In the meantime, we can begin the early game preparations. With Medium Crown Authority, the initiative for decision making comes from @alxeu. All of this should be as public as possible, with appropriate councillors being able to make appropriate comments, with one exception. I think it's fair to keep plots limited to me, the Spymaster, and the Ruler (although they'll be instantly revealed once they read the save, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). In any case, if you want to keep decisions secret from the group as a whole, please send them to me via PM.

@alxeu: Even though we'll stop periodically to decide events, you should have an overall plan for Year 1 of your glorious reign before we start. You may also shuffle around your cabinet as you see fit, as part of the initial start-up, but after that you'll be bound by the once per five years rule. For non-rulers, you should study the save (and/or ask me, if you prefer) and see what recommendations you wish to make. Remember, you have the right to refuse the Duke's orders, and where your character goes is ultimately up to you (although, I hesitate to add, there may be consequences of an unspecified nature). Councillors (whomever you may be), please be ready to respond to events as I post them once play begins.

Please do not make any public decisions just yet, simply because our glorious ruler may wish to change around assignments or hand out honors early. (Then again, he may not). Asking about rules, game mechanics, etc. are all perfectly fine, but I would wait to share any decisions until I give the go-ahead sometime Thursday morning.

((Well, I certainly hope that the AAR is still around in a month or two, but I completely understand if you'd like to wait and join back at another time. For now, I've removed you from the roster. Admin hat on.))
((Thank you, I'm sorry to have caused hassle for you when I won't be able to participate before in a month))

((If I recall correctly, under Medium Crown Authority, I can't invade my fellow vassals, so...))

In the first year of my glorious reign, we shall focus on development and outside opportunities.

First off, any Councillor spots currently held by someone shall be left alone for now ((Wouldn't be nice to instantly deprive someone of a Council position)), unless they are grossly incompetent ((i.e. much lower in stat than possible replacements)).

Secondly, on the first day of the year, these are my decrees:

WsxGMUB.jpg

My Councillors are ordered to do the following jobs, noting that my Magistros is the only one leaving the capital.

fuIeIxg.jpg

Envoys are to be send to propose my marriage to this Lombardian princess. An alliance is to be created once the marriage is accepted, if possible.

hXvqRZv.jpg

My son is to be married to this Frankish woman, who is very skilled.

K2M2Ia1.jpg

I, meanwhile, shall focus on getting married, and on hunting, two completely unrelated ventures.

As for general business throughout the year:

I noticed that I have a limit for the amount of vassals I may have, but an extremely low limit for amount of lands I may personally administrate. If the Emperor was to grant me new lands, I would hardly be able to rule them.

Therefore, I request a centralization of the duchy.

As for the rest of the year, noting my (hopeful) alliance with Lombardy, I shall create a faction in the Byzantine Court to reduce Crown Authority, noting that even though it would reduce my own authority, I will still be able to gain lands within the empire for ourselves, though we won't be telling the Emperor that, now will we?

Otherwise, stockpiled money is to be kept over 50 gold whenever possible, and if my holding can be improved while keeping 50 gold in the treasury, do so.

That is all.

It looks unlikely that there will be enough money to improve any holdings the first year, at least while maintaining fifty gold in the treasury. However, if there's an unexpected windfall, the castle fortifications will be improved as soon as the Strategos has 113 gold. If through some unknown means he thereafter gets 225 gold, we'll upgrade the militia training ground with an archery range.

Also, if my lord would arrange a marriage between myself and his courtier Eupraxia, I would be well pleased.

- Theophylaktos, Sakellarios ((Steward)) of Achaia, Mayor of Vostiza

Father, you must be joking.

You have some nobodies on your council. Don't say that you put them there on merit, as you do not know them. If someone deserves to be there, than me! I am your son and heir, who is better suited to advise you?

And that marriage - I am to marry some Frankish woman, the daughter of a bastard, solely for 'her skills'? And a false Catholic as well? While you marry a Lombard princess, younger than my bride-to-be? Eudokia marries the Basileus, but I must deal with a Frank without any importance? I'd much rather be betrothed to Princess Anthousa, or marry a Lombard princess myself.

Also, must I remember you of my lovely sister's marriage? We cannot act against the Basileus. ((In other words, we have a non-aggression pact and can't form factions against Konstantinos.))

Father, you must be joking.

You have some nobodies on your council. Don't say that you put them there on merit, as you do not know them. If someone deserves to be there, than me! I am your son and heir, who is better suited to advise you?

And that marriage - I am to marry some Frankish woman, the daughter of a bastard, solely for 'her skills'? And a false Catholic as well? While you marry a Lombard princess, younger than my bride-to-be? Eudokia marries the Basileus, but I must deal with a Frank without any importance? I'd much rather be betrothed to Princess Anthousa, or marry a Lombard princess myself.

Also, must I remember you of my lovely sister's marriage? We cannot act against the Basileus. ((In other words, we have a non-aggression pact and can't form factions against Konstantinos.))

You are right, my son, I shall change my plans.

The marriages shall be reversed.

I will marry the Frankish woman, and you, the Lombardian Princess.

It would do well to have a skilled consort for the rest of my life, but an alliance with Lombardy for both our lives.

As for my memory, yes, I did remember my daughter's marriage, though I forgot about the non-aggression pact with it.

For the council spot, I will grant you the title of "Designated Regent," should something happen to me, otherwise I'd prefer you as one of my commanders, which means I can not have you busy collecting taxes. Despite this, I shall still consult you as an unofficial Councillor, as your word is just as important, on or off the council.

It looks unlikely that there will be enough money to improve any holdings the first year, at least while maintaining fifty gold in the treasury. However, if there's an unexpected windfall, the castle fortifications will be improved as soon as the Strategos has 113 gold. If through some unknown means he thereafter gets 225 gold, we'll upgrade the militia training ground with an archery range.

Also, if my lord would arrange a marriage between myself and his courtier Eupraxia, I would be well pleased.

- Theophylaktos, Sakellarios ((Steward)) of Achaia, Mayor of Vostiza

Thank you, my Sakellarios, for your assessment. Unless it is an exceptionally good year for taxes here in Achaia, I suppose we shall instead stockpile money. As for the marriage, providing no higher lord desires her hand, it shall be granted to you.

((If I recall correctly, under Medium Crown Authority, I can't invade my fellow vassals, so...))

((You're thinking of max crown authority. You can declare war on other vassals to your heart's content. :) ))

((You're thinking of max crown authority. You can declare war on other vassals to your heart's content. :) ))

((I can't declare wars on other vassals at Moderate Crown Authority. It is at maximum crown authority that I can't declare war at all.

Right now, I can only expand against our outside enemies, which isn't that helpful. That is why I was hoping to join a faction to reduce crown authority, but I forgot about the non-aggression pact.))

(( @Qwerty7 , your turn to pick! ))

((I too shall sit out and take the +25))

((I can't declare wars on other vassals at Moderate Crown Authority. It is at maximum crown authority that I can't declare war at all.

Right now, I can only expand against our outside enemies, which isn't that helpful. That is why I was hoping to join a faction to reduce crown authority, but I forgot about the non-aggression pact.))

((I just tried to declare a war on a fellow vassal, and the only stopping me was the lack of a CB. Try it out in the save! ))

((Since I cannot reach the computer now, can smbdy remind - which of the councillors/сommanders are now of iconoclast heresy and which are Orthodox? since it would be an important topic around the time, as I remember. also, can a character change his religion as a decision?))

((Sorry I haven't been around that much, School kept me busy. CURSE YOU SCHOOL!))

(( Seeing as it's close to the deadline, there's only two people left to pick characters, and the current one hasn't been on the forums since Sunday, and the last one has been quite active, might I suggest you allow @Andre Massena to register a conditional pick in case @KeksimusMaximus doesn't show? ))

yMzHUUR.jpg

This fine lady I will try to marry. Of course, that means my first ambition will also be to get married. (Free piety anyone ? )

After being married, I will make my intentions clear that I wish to become the Mystikos at the Doux's court.(Become Mystikos Ambition)

uUTs2Ah.jpg

I am an intrigue based character, so my first focus (aside from getting laid to produce heirs) will be Seduction. I will be looking at women in my court and that of the Doux, and get ;)

CX12IHn.jpg

My character looked like an 80 year old bald man. Let us correct that and edit that scruffy coat of arms to something better.

JzHYJFE.jpg

My Magistros will start working in Korinthos to improve my relations with my liege, my Protostrator will be training troops, my Sakellarios be collecting taxes (both home), My Mystikos will do ******* (Not publicish information). My court Chaplain, while not visible here, will be improving culture tech in Achaia.

I will be saving up any money I can get, and take the money option for my wedding.

I, Gregorios Stamopatas, Count of Achaia ,must however move against a centralization of the Duchy. There is already plenty of power in Korinthos.

Last edited: