• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of June 2016

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. After much plotting and espionage, I have assumed direct control over these diaries, at least for the upcoming months while Johan enjoys some paternity leave.

The feeling of power this gives is immense. EU4 will allow you a similar feeling with a new feature in the upcoming expansion: Great Powers

In 1.18's accompanying expansion, which has yet to be name-dropped, we will grant the 8 most powerful countries in the world a "Great Power" status, granting them bonuses, new diplomatic options and, perhaps most importantly, a glow around your shield to show that you are the superior nation.

Before we address the shiny options and bonuses available to you, let's tackle the question of how to become a Great Power. As we had mentioned in a previous diary, the technology system is getting an overhaul and the Great Power mechanic will make use of this too. Your ranking as a Great Power depends on your Total Development plus half of your Subject Development, then divided by your tech cost. This ensures that early game, large powers such as Ming and Timurids will enjoy Great Power status but as Other powers rise and they lag behind with embracing new institutions, this status will be lost. Of course, If Ming, for example, stays united and forward thinking, they may not lose this status at all. Subject Nations cannot be Great Powers

As a great power you will enjoy a Power Projection bonus. One commonly raised issue is that if you are a huge power without equal your Power Projection is oddly low, since you cannot have any meaningful rivals. The greatest of the Great Powers will enjoy a +25 Power Projection bonus, with the other 7 gaining an increasingly smaller amount with rank 8 getting +10PP. Additionally, great powers will receive a prestige decay reduction. Other modifiers will likely be added before release as we continue to balance the system.

eu4_19.png

Bonuses are all very well and good, but where's the fun in being great if you can't enforce your will on lesser beings? Four new diplomatic options are opened up uniquely for Great Powers:

Take on Foreign Debt – Pay off all the loans of the target independent non-GP country. Gives +10 relations bonus for every standard size loan of the target you clear, capped at +200, decaying 2/year Also grants +1 trust for every loan cleared, or +2 favours if you have The Cossacks. Requires enough money to pay off target’s loans.

Influence Nation – Pay 1 year of target income to increase relations and grant +1 monarch points in their weakest category for 10 years in a target independent non-GP nation. This raises their opinion of you by 25 for the 10 years, also gives +5 trust. Going to war with them cancels this bonus.

Intervene in War– If there is an ongoing war between great powers but an imbalance in the number of GPs involved, you can make it your business to intervene. For example, if GP Britain is singlehandedly fighting GP France and GP Spain, you as a Great Power Commonwealth can intervene on Great Britain's side to balance out the number of great powers involved.

Break Alliance – This will force a nation to break its alliance with another. They will accept if the target nation is sufficiently afraid of you and you will gain a truce with the nation you force this upon. Useful for stripping your war target of pesky roadblocks.

eu4_12.png

Finally, you will want to hold on to your status as a great power. If you are pushed out of the top 8 nations, you will be given a 5 year grace period to regain your Great Power Score. During this time you will still have access to Great Power options but if you cannot regain your standing then you will lose them until you rise again or topple those who would claim to be greater than you.

Current 1444 Great Powers:

eu4_13.png

As usual, the nitty-gritty numbers are very much subject to change as we refine the features.

Great Powers will be available as a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 patch.

Next week we'll be in the presence of our King/Khan/Chief/Sultan/Emperor/Malik, so I hope you're on your best behavior.

Reactions:
Could you explain the reasoning historically behind Lithuania being a GP and not Poland or Austria? Is it just because Lithuania has high development?
I'm guessing it's because at the beginning of the game Lithuania is much more powerful than Poland partly due to its superior development. This usually stays the case for quite some time if Poland doesn't form a union over Lithuania.

As for Austria, Austria's strength really lies in it being the emperor. If it loses that status, it generally goes down to the level of a medium to large normal HRE state (like not much more powerful than say-Bavaria). But Lithuania, France, England, and Castille all have higher development (as do the great powers farther East), are more spread out and are not subject to the same downfalls. I will admit that these countries do have downfalls, albeit different ones.

Austria (Holy roman Emperor) and Denmark (Kalmar Union) shoud be great powers in 1444. Mamluks, timurids and Lithuania not. I would suggest adding secondary power status or regional great powers (that makes more sense to mamluks and timurids).

The Timurids were still a great power in 1444. It would only be after Shah Rukh's death in 1447 that Ulugh Beg's incompetence (in politics, not in science obviously) and the instability that followed would cause the Timurids to plummet into anarchy (and plummet in power as well)...

Reactions:
I do like this idea but one question I have which no doubt other modders may be interested in: Can we mod the maximum number of great powers? ;)

For the reference, the Wikipedia entry on great power showed that there are nine such countries by 1900, although obviously that was beyond EU4 timeframe. Naturally, I had Extended Timeline in mind for this.

Reactions:
Great! How to solve France, Ming and The Ottomans being OP and ruin every chance you have at having an achievement at their Expence? Why make them more OP of course, that will make people want to buy the next DLC 100% Great Ideas

Make the emperor always be a GP unless religious peace is signed,gives more power to the emperor and a reason to disolve the HRE or fighting the league wars without the reason to make an official faith

PS:make GP's have only one GP ally

Reactions:
So if I am BBB France fighting Crusade target Otts with Poland, P.State and others, I will have not only the several massive neighbouring enemies waiting to dow me at the 1st sight of weakness but also random GPs joining my wars against me in which they have no business? Please say no.

Cheers for the DD DDRJake :) After all the HoI4 streams, I read it in a Scottish accent :p. Really like the idea of adding GPs into the game - is it part of a step towards a more 'balance of power' approach for the biggest nations? If so, that'd be even more awesome :).

Sure, but the fun part is that YOU can seize power and use those power boosts.

So we get a feature which was in Victoria 2 right from the start as a paid dlc?

EA would be so proud..

Reactions:
In general it leaves in awe how people are reacting to such changes.

Problem.

You are great power there is no power projection for you.

Solution.

Add great power (country that cannot have rivals) that gives various but not so obvious bonuses (relation buff for spending a lot of cash, anyone?).

Problem?

Some passive aggressive comments suggest it's bollocks historically because Austria in 1444 had development rate 223 what ancient Greek historian confirms in his white paper in 323BCE.

C'mon. It's game, you don't like the idea, don't buy expansion. For a change I am thrilled!

Keep up good work!

Reactions: