• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of June 2016

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. After much plotting and espionage, I have assumed direct control over these diaries, at least for the upcoming months while Johan enjoys some paternity leave.

The feeling of power this gives is immense. EU4 will allow you a similar feeling with a new feature in the upcoming expansion: Great Powers

In 1.18's accompanying expansion, which has yet to be name-dropped, we will grant the 8 most powerful countries in the world a "Great Power" status, granting them bonuses, new diplomatic options and, perhaps most importantly, a glow around your shield to show that you are the superior nation.

Before we address the shiny options and bonuses available to you, let's tackle the question of how to become a Great Power. As we had mentioned in a previous diary, the technology system is getting an overhaul and the Great Power mechanic will make use of this too. Your ranking as a Great Power depends on your Total Development plus half of your Subject Development, then divided by your tech cost. This ensures that early game, large powers such as Ming and Timurids will enjoy Great Power status but as Other powers rise and they lag behind with embracing new institutions, this status will be lost. Of course, If Ming, for example, stays united and forward thinking, they may not lose this status at all. Subject Nations cannot be Great Powers

As a great power you will enjoy a Power Projection bonus. One commonly raised issue is that if you are a huge power without equal your Power Projection is oddly low, since you cannot have any meaningful rivals. The greatest of the Great Powers will enjoy a +25 Power Projection bonus, with the other 7 gaining an increasingly smaller amount with rank 8 getting +10PP. Additionally, great powers will receive a prestige decay reduction. Other modifiers will likely be added before release as we continue to balance the system.

eu4_19.png

Bonuses are all very well and good, but where's the fun in being great if you can't enforce your will on lesser beings? Four new diplomatic options are opened up uniquely for Great Powers:

Take on Foreign Debt – Pay off all the loans of the target independent non-GP country. Gives +10 relations bonus for every standard size loan of the target you clear, capped at +200, decaying 2/year Also grants +1 trust for every loan cleared, or +2 favours if you have The Cossacks. Requires enough money to pay off target’s loans.

Influence Nation – Pay 1 year of target income to increase relations and grant +1 monarch points in their weakest category for 10 years in a target independent non-GP nation. This raises their opinion of you by 25 for the 10 years, also gives +5 trust. Going to war with them cancels this bonus.

Intervene in War– If there is an ongoing war between great powers but an imbalance in the number of GPs involved, you can make it your business to intervene. For example, if GP Britain is singlehandedly fighting GP France and GP Spain, you as a Great Power Commonwealth can intervene on Great Britain's side to balance out the number of great powers involved.

Break Alliance – This will force a nation to break its alliance with another. They will accept if the target nation is sufficiently afraid of you and you will gain a truce with the nation you force this upon. Useful for stripping your war target of pesky roadblocks.

eu4_12.png

Finally, you will want to hold on to your status as a great power. If you are pushed out of the top 8 nations, you will be given a 5 year grace period to regain your Great Power Score. During this time you will still have access to Great Power options but if you cannot regain your standing then you will lose them until you rise again or topple those who would claim to be greater than you.

Current 1444 Great Powers:

eu4_13.png

As usual, the nitty-gritty numbers are very much subject to change as we refine the features.

Great Powers will be available as a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 patch.

Next week we'll be in the presence of our King/Khan/Chief/Sultan/Emperor/Malik, so I hope you're on your best behavior.

Reactions:
I don't like this change as it's just going to make the most powerful even more powerful - leading to more snowballing. Are you are least getting rid of the lucky nation mechanic?

Reactions:
Yes and yes, there will be a relation drop and a CB given. If, for example, France forces Munster to break alliance with England, England will get a CB on France.

So if the minor nation doesn't agree; which is likely to happen in multi-player, is it automatic war with all parties involved or just a CB?

I cringed a bit upon seeing Lithuania instead Muscovy as a great power

Still, this stuff sounds very cool!

It is 1444, not 1565

Reactions:
not agree with "Intervene in War", this kind of diplomatic action has actually been done in EU4 timeline?

It's only for GP vs GP wars.

Reactions:
More Victoria II features are always nice! What we need next are dynamic flags.

Judging from the final phrase in this DD (about rulers) and the last DD (where most Government information went to a new tab, making the first one almost obsolete) maybe this mean rulers will get an overhaul?

*groan*

I really, really don't like the concept of an arbitrary cutoff at 8 Great Powers.

I mean, what if #9 is quite close to #7 and #8, and miiiiles ahead of #10? Nope, you don't get any of the goodies. Why? Because the gods of Paradox on high have declared that the number shall be 8. Not 7 or 9.

Completely arbitrary and with no basis in reality...

Reactions:
Kind of like the idea, but only 8 nations seems too few to me. I think there should definitely be room for more/less depending on how the game goes.

Perhaps a great power spot should be permanently reserved for the HRE Emperor as well? Given how their power and influence is typically greater than their development would otherwise suggest. Oh and adjusting the score for autonomy, as others have mentioned, would be good. Especially since Ming seem unlikely to ever lose their great power status any other way, even if they do fall behind in tech.

Reactions:
Before I read the thread..... VICKY 3 COME ON BABY IM READY(gp reminded me)

Something hidden confirmed in the opening screenshot: Feudalism's penalty in 1444 starts ticked up to 50%; for Hordes at least. [We don't know about Sub-Saharah and New World yet]

Also EU IV: Vicky III Edition

Also I hope Great Powers get a malus to allying each other; lest there just be Great Power Bloc 1 vs Great Power Bloc 2.

Reactions:
vicky in my EU? great!

god damn Lithuania though, you have to make them weaker than muscovy at the very least. That was the whole reason for the commonwealth

Reactions:
This could actually even help make the HRE a bit more dynamic, as I assume being elected Emperor would grant a medium-huge bonus to GP status. Heck, modders may even add incremental GP bonuses to each imperial decison, letting OPM emperors have massive influence :p

Reactions: