• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of June 2016

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. After much plotting and espionage, I have assumed direct control over these diaries, at least for the upcoming months while Johan enjoys some paternity leave.

The feeling of power this gives is immense. EU4 will allow you a similar feeling with a new feature in the upcoming expansion: Great Powers

In 1.18's accompanying expansion, which has yet to be name-dropped, we will grant the 8 most powerful countries in the world a "Great Power" status, granting them bonuses, new diplomatic options and, perhaps most importantly, a glow around your shield to show that you are the superior nation.

Before we address the shiny options and bonuses available to you, let's tackle the question of how to become a Great Power. As we had mentioned in a previous diary, the technology system is getting an overhaul and the Great Power mechanic will make use of this too. Your ranking as a Great Power depends on your Total Development plus half of your Subject Development, then divided by your tech cost. This ensures that early game, large powers such as Ming and Timurids will enjoy Great Power status but as Other powers rise and they lag behind with embracing new institutions, this status will be lost. Of course, If Ming, for example, stays united and forward thinking, they may not lose this status at all. Subject Nations cannot be Great Powers

As a great power you will enjoy a Power Projection bonus. One commonly raised issue is that if you are a huge power without equal your Power Projection is oddly low, since you cannot have any meaningful rivals. The greatest of the Great Powers will enjoy a +25 Power Projection bonus, with the other 7 gaining an increasingly smaller amount with rank 8 getting +10PP. Additionally, great powers will receive a prestige decay reduction. Other modifiers will likely be added before release as we continue to balance the system.

eu4_19.png

Bonuses are all very well and good, but where's the fun in being great if you can't enforce your will on lesser beings? Four new diplomatic options are opened up uniquely for Great Powers:

Take on Foreign Debt – Pay off all the loans of the target independent non-GP country. Gives +10 relations bonus for every standard size loan of the target you clear, capped at +200, decaying 2/year Also grants +1 trust for every loan cleared, or +2 favours if you have The Cossacks. Requires enough money to pay off target’s loans.

Influence Nation – Pay 1 year of target income to increase relations and grant +1 monarch points in their weakest category for 10 years in a target independent non-GP nation. This raises their opinion of you by 25 for the 10 years, also gives +5 trust. Going to war with them cancels this bonus.

Intervene in War– If there is an ongoing war between great powers but an imbalance in the number of GPs involved, you can make it your business to intervene. For example, if GP Britain is singlehandedly fighting GP France and GP Spain, you as a Great Power Commonwealth can intervene on Great Britain's side to balance out the number of great powers involved.

Break Alliance – This will force a nation to break its alliance with another. They will accept if the target nation is sufficiently afraid of you and you will gain a truce with the nation you force this upon. Useful for stripping your war target of pesky roadblocks.

eu4_12.png

Finally, you will want to hold on to your status as a great power. If you are pushed out of the top 8 nations, you will be given a 5 year grace period to regain your Great Power Score. During this time you will still have access to Great Power options but if you cannot regain your standing then you will lose them until you rise again or topple those who would claim to be greater than you.

Current 1444 Great Powers:

eu4_13.png

As usual, the nitty-gritty numbers are very much subject to change as we refine the features.

Great Powers will be available as a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 patch.

Next week we'll be in the presence of our King/Khan/Chief/Sultan/Emperor/Malik, so I hope you're on your best behavior.

Reactions:
I think it's really weird to have Global Great Power mechanic at 1444....

Regional great power would be more appropriate for the early game of EU4 time span, then it become global great power after 17,18 centuries or after colonisation institution is adopt by most of the country.
Maybe scale the GP bonuses with diplomatic technology level?

Reactions:
Why the heck aren't you able to intervene against rampant expansionism by another GP if you're a GP?

If Timmies are blobbing into India, shouldn't it be Ming's and the Ottomans' and the Mamluks' business to stop that, even though there are no GPs in India?

Reactions:
So does this mean there will also be a Great Responsibility mechanic too? Cause everyone knows with great power comes great responsibility. ;)

Physicists know that with great power comes great potential difference multiplied by current.

Or great work divided by time.

Which is fitting in context.

Reactions:
An interesting design choice, albeit one where a lot could possibly go wrong. To me, this feature seems to be very much a "back-porting" of Victoria mechanics into Europa Universalis. This has the potential to, for better or worse, radically alter the balance of the game. My suggestion would be that Great Power status should be determined by more factors than just development and tech cost (size of military. number of states, number of colonies, etc.), so as to avoid the potential issue of small, high-development nations becoming Great Powers and wrecking game balance. I would also sugest that this feature should not necessarilly be enabled at game start. The world was much less connected in 1444 than it was in 1836, so maybe the existence of Great Power status should be dealyed until, for example, someone circumnavigates the globe, the Americas are discovered, everyone reaches a certain level of diplomacy technology, etc. Overall, though, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reactions:
The Break Alliance mechanic should be connected with the Influence Nation mechanic. It would make sense and be more natural. Even if you are a Great Power you cant break alliances left and right, much less in this age where royal marriages are still a big deal. A Great Power, however, using 'Influence Nation' could bypass most of these problems. You could also make relative army size between two nations relevant to how much you influence another country.

We are slowly moving towards the grandest of grand strategy games.

All we need to do is create more institutions and gate the mechanics behind the spread of institutions. For example, the game could start in the early medieval era with a dynastic system similar to Crusader Kings II, but as institutions are embraced to ma,e the state more centralized, the handling of vassals becomes easier to the point where it's almost automatic, and new administrative actions are possible. The institutions would also unlock a shift from levies to standing armies.

Get on it Pdox.

Reactions:
I feel almost like this mechanic should be local great powers early on, then switch over to global great powers once you reach a certain point in the game. Maybe global trade?

Reactions:
Once it gets its PU, it will most likely be a GP, as half of Lithuania development will add to their GP score. Also Mamlukes should be kicked off GP rank quickly after game start.
That's still off. When you're looking to invade the Commonwealth you don't just count Lithuania's forces and forts and then half them. You add the whole thing to whatever Poland has at its disposal.

So can we get more provinces in the Low Countries, Denmark, in Scotland, and in Portugal please? Don't forget Italy is missing some.

Reactions:
For example, if GP Britain is singlehandedly fighting GP France and GP Spain, you as a Great Power Commonwealth can intervene on Great Britain's side to balance out the number of great powers involved.
If GB is fighting GP France in one war and GP Spain in another simultaneously, will GP Commonwealth be able to intervene?

Reactions:
The idea is not bad, but I think you should work on it more. It does not look very interesting at the moment. Many more factors should be taken into account in order to define who are the Great Powers, the glow is quite ugly and GP should not be too OP -> small nations should be given actions to try to counterbalance them.

+ the idea of giving more prestige & PP to GP is nice + I quite like the diplo options added, but maybe it still could be made more interesting.

I don't really understand the concept of ceasing to be a GP but continuing to be one for 5 years.

Did I miss something? This is what the dev diary says about colonialism:

Doesn't say anything about Iberia, does it?

Yeah I suck, I could swear it mentioned Iberia.

My suggestion stands, however: Colonialism should appear in the first feudal, Old World nation to set up a colony in the New World (sorry Australia).

What may be the new icon in the second screen shot?

Force limit and other factors should certainly be included in the calculation, but as that is one of the specific things DDRJake saide are still being tweaked, there will certainly be some changes to it.

I'm happy to see a Great Power mechanic being added to EU IV. Good job with the developer diary Jake!