• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[SIZE=+1]Senator Lazaros Melissenos[/SIZE]

*Lazaros salutes Hadrianos, before taking a sip of his wine. He's looking in the older faces of his senatorial comrades and the faces of the younger generation who is present.*

First of all, I want to thank you for your invitations, my good friend Hadrianos. Surly, organizing ourselves is necessary, for in the last great seating of the senate, we... weren't successful. We are the most powerful faction in the senate. Not only are we the most numerous, but the personal wealth and power that each of us brings to the table isn't to scoff at either. And still, we weren't able to achieve anything for ourselves.

I know, the military course of action was a necessity. I supported this course as did many of us, although I always warned what a continued militarization of the Empire might mean. Not only for us, but for the Empire and the Emperor itself. It might be unthinkable now, but remember the Empire of old, where at times new Emperors out of the ranks of the military sized power. The Angeloi may prevent this, but it's also our duty to help them with this.

So it is my opinion, that we need to show unity in the next senatorial session and achieve a common goal. I do not advice against compromises, but if we make them, this time they must be to our factions benefits. The wars against the Xenoi showed that our navy isn't as strong as we thought, not compared to the fleets that the Xenois send against us. Which isn't without logic, since while we were sailing on the calm mare nostrum, they crossed the wild western ocean. So I agree with Zubilus, the Navy should be our foremost concern.

And presenting my successor... I would like to, if I could find this fat lazy whoring bloke of mine.

*Lazaros looks in the surprised faces of his fellow senators, as he speaks with disdain of his only son, even though Kyros is well known as a lazy man, more interested in feasts, wine and women than in politics or the administration of the city of Athens.*

While I was only 'blessed' with Kyros and his sister, my 'successor' with his twenty-two years has already produced two bastards. For the sake of my house, your sanity and the imperial senate I hope my wife and I will get another son or a legitimate grandson who comes to age before I have to step down from the senatorial post and before gods judgment.

*A certain kind of bitterness is speaking from Lazaros voice, as he mentions this.*

I would sent his sister Aelia instead, a fine and much more cultivated mind than her brother but alas, you all know the rules of the senate.

Last edited:
Obviously, Senators from other factions are not allowed to be there, but can other Senators write letters during this period? I would like to ask my son to come to Constantinople for the Red meeting.
No - during meeting of the Blue Demes only Blues may write in-character. Be patient: I don't know when you want Red Demes meeting to start but since it can start as soon as Sunday evening you can wait these 48 hours I think :)
It appears that Italian is an accepted culture in the Imperium...
Italian - that is Greek-speaking population of the core region of the Imperium - indeed is tolerated.
Pisan - that is Pisan-speaking traitors of Christendom and xenoi servant - is absolutely not tolerated (unless we're talking about mercenaries).
{{Before posting my already prepared speech, can I bring both my son and snake-of-a-cousin to the meeting?}}
Yes but remeber, no interacting for them.
I would sent his sister Aelia instead, a fine and much more cultivated mind than her brother but alas, you all know the rules of the senate.[/I]
You think you have it tough? Anna Komnenos would be a great basilissa but she also had to obey the rules and watch as her brother became the autokrator because she was not eligible. Women's suffrage is more of a Victoria 2 thing - even in Poland they gained full political right in 1918, that is barely 100 years ago. And in the dark grimness of the collapsing Europe there is no place for them in politics - unless obviously God himself choses one of the Angeloi as basilissa.

[SIZE=+1]Senator Anastasios VI Salamis:[/SIZE]
*Hadrianos rises from his seat. He is now 47 years old- and very popular in his house and the Imperium. He was able to make his house very strong again- he succesfuly made house Salamis one of the houses most close to the blue deme's faction leader, created tight ties to the merchant class and was able to expand the castle of Salamis and the city around it and make it one of the biggest holdings in the province of Athens, only smaller than the city itself.
However, succession doesn't seem like it will be easy- Anastasios made his (currently) 20 years old son Antiochos (named after the city of Antioch, because the child was born just after his father's visit there) a heir, but the maybe too big honesty of Antiochos, and his cynical comments which sometimes treaded the fine line of hersey (most of which were quickly silenced), made the elders of the house reluctant. The other son of Anastasios, 18 years old Kalistos, has already declared that he will not scheme against his brother- but his uncle, Pontius, which already made quite the scandal when he entered the Senate in order to mostly insult Anastasios did not declare such a thing.
He kept scheming against Anastasios and his son in order to put his 26 years old son Georgios as a heir to the house. Georgios was the same as his father Pontius- a scheming snake. It seemed like the only things keeping the majority of the house elders from favouring Georgios as a heir were the popularity of Anastasios and the outrageous support of Pontius and Georgios to the white demes. Under pressure from the elders of house Salamis, Anastasios brought both his son Antiochos and his cousin Georgios to observe the faction meeting- and his son was instructed to shut his cousin if he will try to intervere (which can cause quite the scandal). His son Antioch and daughter Dionysia seemed to have gotten their genes from their mother- both were very beautiful.*

Hello, my fellow blue demes members! I am glad to see you all here- althrough the resignation of house Solomonid due to death of their representative saddens me.
I would like to say two things:
Firstly, I'd like to offer the hand of my daughter, Dionysia, to one of the sons of honorable Senator Hadrianos Raoul. If you agree to the suggestion, I suggest that you will choose which of your sons will my daughter marry.
I would also like to inform you all that my son and heir Antioch (which you can see here, near me) and my other son Kalistos are both withous wives and I'll consider any suggestions from you.
Secondly, I would like to begin the debate regarding the next reform in the Imperium, which will surely come soon. It will be best if our demes can win this time- and it seems like we have many options.
Exploration or Naval reforms are, in my opinion, the most important now. What do you think, my friends?

Last edited:
Frederik V Hvide

*Frederik arrives a few moments late, his arrival heralded by the loud clanking of his metallic leg prosthesis, and the constant concerned utterances by a young female. As he enters the Balcony he breaks into a coughing fit. One can see from a mere cursory glance that Frederik is not the man he once was, and that the last fifteen years have not been kind to him, or perhaps it is more accurate to say that he has not been kind to himself. Unlike many of his fellows he spent the last fifteen years raiding the lands near the Volga and Don rivers from slaves, and freeing Christians from the occupied lands in Crimea, severely impairing his health. His activities deep within the lands of the Horde have brought great wealth and many slaves back to the mouth of the Danube, enabling his family to turn his fief in to a prospering series of cities, forts and trading posts. However he was forced to stand back from his activities 3 years ago after a nasty bout of consumption, leaving his eldest son Valdemar to continue his raids. Accompanying him is a lovely young woman, wearing finery befitting of a Roman noblewoman, she does not any older than 16. He is guided to a chair by his female companion, and with great effort he sits down.

"Thank my dear" he mutters to his companion before turning to his colleagues.

"My friends and colleagues it is good to see you again after all these years." He gestures to his female companion. "May i introduce my youngest Magrethe, she is currently not engaged and however reluctantly i would offer her hand in marriage to a worthy man. And since we with the topic of creating political marriages let me tell you of my other children.

My eldest, Valdemar just saw his 28th new year but remains unmarried. He joined the Varangian guard when he came of age, and i am told that he served with distinction. Well, that is until my illness forced name me to name him my regent. The Emperor in his infinite wisdom, released him from his service and allowed him return home to Thema Bulgaria and rule in my stead. Valdemar is a true norseman, a strong man and a great warrior of great piety. Unfortunately while he excels at war, in peace he is restless and he is not as prepared for matters of state as i would have liked.

My Younger Christian has also come of age quite recently, and has only just seen his 20th winter. I am not quite sure what i am to think of that boy, on one hand he is a shrewd tradesman, and a successful one at that, but..." Frederik shakes his head and sighs. "He is a dishonest man, lying, cheating and oath-breaking should it suit him. And worst of all he is so infuriatingly roman, nothing Norse in him what so ever.

*It is only now that the aging Norseman grabs a goblet of wine, and his appetite for such things seems much reduced, as it takes him a whole minute to empty it.

"Anastasios i am afraid that i was going to make the same offer to Hadrianos." Frederik stifles a laugh. "But in the interest of not splitting our noble cause with petty trivialities, i would offer my darling Magrethe to your heir Antioch, i am sure that they would make strong children together. And Lazaros, let us not leave you out of this, both my sons have asked their ageing father to find them a ripe field in which to sow their seeds, so have you given away your darling Aelia?"

*Hadrianos rises from his couch, having left most of the dishes untouched*
My friends, it seems that we agree on most subjects.
If the Emperor wants to implement a new legislation for the Empire soon, we must decide what we will choose.
What choices offer to us ?
There is the option of favoring trade, which could help improving the finances of the state. But all markets we know of are already occupied by good Roman merchants. We would gain more but it would be in my humble opinion a mistake.
Some have said that they would want to support a legislation which would benefit the Navy. All here have witnessed the vital role of the Navy against the Xenoi during the last war. Alas more than improving our present navy, we need a powerful force, equal to the big ships used by the Xenoi. The current navy has the upper hand in Mesogeios Thalassa but should we cross the Pillar of Hercules, we lose the upper hand. Moreover, it would streghten the current militarization of the state, even if we have many allies in thie Navy. I can't approve this choice. It is not the right moment.
But we have the opportunity to push what we dreamed all these years ago. A legislation in favor of Exploration and Occupation of new territories. We must look outside of the Imperium, of these borders that we have defended all these years ! Reconquest of Aegyptus has paved the way for the use of the Incense Road to our use. The large sea will be no obstacle for our ships ! What lies outside is unknown but we will find a way to profit from it. Moreover, huge tracts of lands lie to waste along the Nile. Securing these lands for proper Roman citizens who could exploit this land instead of letting it to waste. It will end the raids from the Nubian heathens who will be converted and integrated in the Imperium.
It is what I think, my friends.

*Hadrianos approaches from Anastasios*
It is a pleasure to accept to solidify our relation by marrying your daughter to my son. I will assure that my son Maximos abstain from unproper conduit toward her and she will bear him strong and wise children, that I am sure. *He smiles and lowers his voice* I heard that our operations in Athens have succeeded. We both, control the Aegean Sea. As I said, instruct them to go at all costs against the Kasteloi. This son of a bitch has provokated us for too long. Assure them that if they are put in difficulty, I could always help them.

Dear Senator Hvide, your magnificent daughter could always marry my second son and successor Leontios

*Hadrianos smiles and nods at Hadrianos Raoul.*
I am glad that you accepted the marriage offer- may the alliance prosper!
Honorable Frederik, as Senator Raoul pointed out, he still has his other son- so your daughter's marriage is in your hands, as I will gladly accept your offer- and I'm sure that my son here will be glad too- and it seems like Senator Raoul will accept an offer too.
Now, to the other business, I agree with Senator Raoul on the matter of Exploration- the time is nigh for it! I would like, however, to hear the opinions of the other Blue Demes members- namely Senator Zvonimir, who seems to be too quite in the last years.

[SIZE=+1]Senator Lazaros Melissenos[/SIZE]

*Lazaros is shaking his head about this marriage market. Although if it is out of the opinion, that this is the wrong time or place or if it's because he isn't blessed with enough children for a good marriage policy is up to guess. Instead he looks at Hadrianos.*

We could start with exploration, but without a strong navy, we might be limited to overland exploration in the heart of Africa or along the coast towards Hindustan, since I don't think that our ships could pass the Xenoi ones or are even able to cross the western ocean. Capturing one of the big Xenoi ships might help in this regard, like the old Romans captured a Carthaginian ship and from it build a fleet to beat the Carthaginians.

That be said, if you think we are able to start out explorations without strengthening the Navy, I'm willing to support you in it. Even to the south or the east there is much to explore, land to gain, allies and trading partners to find, maybe even a chance to spread the true faith, to get the whites to agree with us.

But if we are taking this course, we should discuss now, in which directions the explorations should go. If we try to bring this issue in the senate and one of us cries “Go west!”, another one “To the East!” and the third one “Into the South!” we will look like idiots. So my suggestion would be to either find a way into the heard of Africa or along the coasts to the east, I would support both ways.

Africa is a harsh continent. I am no expert of the area but even in Ethiopia, our settlers have a hard time to acclimate. And the heart of Africa will be harder to reach than India in my opinion. But we can always securize the valley of the Nile with our focus elsewhere. We must be sure that there is not another ennemy waiting for us these lands. The East African Coast could be another focus of expansion. The area is controlled by petty Muslim principalities which control slave and gold trade, two ressources the Imperium needs.

But the greatest focus for me should be India. It is far more richer and offers more opportunities

Frederik V Hvide

Hadrianos the ideas you suggest all speak to my wanderlust, but with the sound defeat the navy suffered during the war are you certain that focusing on exploration is the right course? I know that great riches might lie beyond the horizon, and i have heard things of distant Hindustan that makes the raider in me curse Satan and his minions for the wound they inflicted on me. But still doubt that we actually have the power to make use of such reforms, power in distant Hindustan means little if we loose in the Mediterranean.But if that is the direction in which the wind blows, i will litsen to the raider in me and follow your lead.

And Hadrianos, i am embarrased that i forgot all about Leontios and i think she would be a fine match for my darling Magrethe.

And Lazaros you are entirely correct, we must appear united when we announce plans for exploration, should we go that way. I must admit that the south sounds like it has much promise, with the land being connected to Aegyptus wealth from these new lands would be easier to control and trade would flow easier.

No - during meeting of the Blue Demes only Blues may write in-character. Be patient: I don't know when you want Red Demes meeting to start but since it can start as soon as Sunday evening you can wait these 48 hours I think :)

Yeah, for the sake of not making the Whites wait for ages, I think the Red meeting should start an hour after the Blue meeting ends.

*speaks with a darker tone*
Senator Hvide, you don't have to be embarassed, not a lot of people know him and Leontios seems to do all he can to ensure it. I accept your proposition in memory of our bonds created over the years and to strengthen them

On exploration. Before preparing exploration of Hindustan and of the East African Coast, we can at least prepare our administration to settle new lands and how to select people for these new cities. Before ever claiming distant lands, let us worry about the lands we know in the south.

{{ It makes sense from a gameplay POV. We get the colonist before the explorer so we first focus on Africa before sending expeditions }}

Gaius Arrius

I will support further exploration south, so that the Imperium may use the land and... resources...

*Gaius tries to prevent the disdain from entering his voice, disgusted with the prospect of increasing the slave trade*

However, I would like assurances that we will advocate moving to the East next. I am eager to see what we can learn from India.

{{Sorry I didn't ask this earlier I was very busy but what of the unaffiliated members of the senate? Could those have a place to exercise a little RP and settle succession? Or, to encourage factionalism, have it just be a perk for the decided members to do. If you think the unaffiliated could get a place I would suggest the Hippodrome as a place they could "accidentally" meet?}}

Aww, well that's a shame :(

Hopefully in the future the Senate will expand to accomodate its new citizens.

Yeah, for the sake of not making the Whites wait for ages, I think the Red meeting should start an hour after the Blue meeting ends.
Just make the formal request as per the rules and it will be done.
{{Sorry I didn't ask this earlier I was very busy but what of the unaffiliated members of the senate? Could those have a place to exercise a little RP and settle succession? Or, to encourage factionalism, have it just be a perk for the decided members to do. If you think the unaffiliated could get a place I would suggest the Hippodrome as a place they could "accidentally" meet?}}
I will do something about it - I like the idea of a Hippodrome and although story-wise it makes no sense for the unaffiliated "faction" to meet, I get it that you would like to role-play as much as the members of every Demes. But first I would like to see how well the Faction Meeting goes before adding a meeting for unaffiliated. It makes sense for organized groups to get perks like regular and official meetings but I think I'll come up with something for you too guys :)

General note - remember that what your character knows about the world is something else entirely thank your knowledge of EU4 (geography, where are rich provinces etc.). Your characters are limited to what was revealed in chapters of "This Is Madness" and "This Is Madness 2" and, as you can see in the State of the World update, this is the known world:

SWSINL8.jpg

Just keep it in mind while writing in-character please. You can propose Exploration of course using arguments based on the game itself but try to back them up with something based on the setting and story. :)

I will do something about it - I like the idea of a Hippodrome and although story-wise it makes no sense for the unaffiliated "faction" to meet, I get it that you would like to role-play as much as the members of every Demes. But first I would like to see how well the Faction Meeting goes before adding a meeting for unaffiliated. It makes sense for organized groups to get perks like regular and official meetings but I think I'll come up with something for you too guys :)

General note - remember that what your character knows about the world is something else entirely thank your knowledge of EU4 (geography, where are rich provinces etc.). Your characters are limited to what was revealed in chapters of "This Is Madness" and "This Is Madness 2" and, as you can see in the State of the World update, this is the known world:

SWSINL8.jpg

Just keep it in mind while writing in-character please. You can propose Exploration of course using arguments based on the game itself but try to back them up with something based on the setting and story. :)

{{Hippodrome would be great to have a little events for all factions without a Senate Session. You could make three teams with the colours of the Demes and roll the dice to see who wins :p

Well according to the map, there is a little empty province near Ethiopia so the idea of securing the Nile valley is not too far-streched. And about Zanzibar, we can assume that the reopening of the trade routes from Egypt made the people affiliated with the merchants (aka us the Blues) know that there is something there which controls gold and slave roads }}

Well, believe that we mostly agree- we should propose the starting of Exploration or Expansion to new lands, and begin with it in the South, securing the Nile valley and seeing what riches can be found there and beyond, and then sailing to Hindustan, as the stories of the riches there are tempting.
There are two questions, however- should we propose Exploration of new lands first, or Expansion to new lands?
And if we will be unable to create a majority- what will we do? I propose to see if another path, like a Naval reform, will be enough for majority- and if it will not, voting for our reform anyway.

To the glorious President of the Senate, Maximos Komnenos

I, Domenico Colombo, Senator and Leader of the Red Demes hereby ask for a meeting of the Red Demes in the Hall of Augusteus. The Red Demes must discuss how best to benefit the Imperium, and look forward into the future. Many of us are old, and in order to best preserve our influence, we must make sure that our heirs will continue our legacy. In addition, we must discuss, the, ah, addiction problem in our midst that our Emperor has informed us of. I request the meeting start at 18:00 CET December 6th and last for 48 hrs.
-Domenico Colombo

To the glorious President of the Senate, Maximos Komnenos

I, Domenico Colombo, Senator and Leader of the Red Demes hereby ask for a meeting of the Red Demes in the Hall of Augusteus. The Red Demes must discuss how best to benefit the Imperium, and look forward into the future. Many of us are old, and in order to best preserve our influence, we must make sure that our heirs will continue our legacy. In addition, we must discuss, the, ah, addiction problem in our midst that our Emperor has informed us of. I request the meeting start at 18:00 CET December 6th and last for 48 hrs.
-Domenico Colombo
Sigh. There can't be two Faction Meeting at the same time and since the current meeting ends at 23:00 CET December 6th, the answer is denied.

BTW to be honest I thought that the Blue Demes is more numerous, what with only c. 50% of its members taking part in the meeting.

New House has joined the Imperial Senate - please welcome House Chrysos and its noble representative, senator Alexios Chrysos (played by Mighty Imhotep).

[size=+1]ALBUM SENATORIUM[/size]

[SIZE=+1]
NRIMPERIAL SENATORPLAYED BYSENATE FACTION
1.Hadrianos Raoul (Blue Leader)(Attalus)Blue Demes
2.Ioannes Kantakouzenos(MaskedPersonage)White Demes
3.Leontios Kastelos(Leandor)unaffiliated
4.Lazaros Melissenos(McGrey)Blue Demes
5.Theophilus Rhadenos (White Leader)(viola)White Demes
6.Septimark Wedrovander(Kingjerkera)unaffiliated
7.Anastasios VI Salamis(ParrotGuy)Blue Demes
8.Decius Taurinus (Ponce_The_Great)Red Demes
9.Konstantinos Moustakas(Andre Massena)Red Demes