• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CzokletMuss

The Emprah
80 Badges
Apr 20, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
This Is Madness 2
-
Imperium Sine Fine

hzvLBF8.jpg

One God. One Emperor. One World.

From soulless Xenoi. From abhorrent Mongols. From impure Heretics.

The Angeloi Protect.

„He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.”

- Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE DYING CHRISTENDOM
THERE IS ONLY WAR

U9m5p9c.jpg

It is the end of the 7th millennium since the creation of the world. For more than a thousand years the Imperium Romanum has stood, ruled from the Sacred Palace in Konstantinoupolis. Since the days of Saint Markos Isapostolos the Angeloi have sat on the Throne, preserving his everlasting legacy. His descendant Markos III Angelos is Basileus Basileon by the Grace of God, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom. He is the lord of the innumerable lands by the will of Iesus Kristos and the might of his Imperial Army.

Mighty fleets cross the wide seas and uncounted Roman soldiers give battle in Emperor's name on far lands. Greatest among his warriors are the Kataphraktoi, elite heavy cavalry unmatched on the battlefield. Their comrads in arms are legion: the professional soldiers of Tagmata and brave levies and conscripts of Themata, the ever-vigilant Athanatoi and battle-hardened Auxilia from Christian Kingdoms to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to defend the Imperium from endless hordes of xenoi, barbarians and heretics.

To live in these times is to be one amongst millions, it is to live in a collapsing, warring continent filled with violence and hatred. These are the tales of these times. Forget the promise of progress and understanding for much is forgotten, never to be relearned. Soulless xenoi have conquered countless lands, rivaled in size only by those controlled by the Horde and sons of Timur, bringing untold destruction upon the Christendom. In the ashes of the old world the Imperium still stands, its ever-expanding borders barely outpacing the rate of decay of its immense body. Unimaginable horrors hidden in the mists of the Far West are waiting to be discovered and unleashed upon surviving Christians.

But what lies beyond the uncharted seas may be the only salvation of the Imperium exhausted by centuries of never-ending war – or it may be its undoing. For there is no peace amongst Men nor hope for victory, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of dark gods.

Interactive AAR approved by Qorten

I. INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone,

Welcome to „This Is Madness 2: Imperium Sine Fine”, the second part of my mega campaign!
The story which began in „Crusader Kings II” After Action Report This Is Madness - Story Of The Crumbling Europe is continued here .
However this time it's also an Interactive AAR, which means you, dear Reader, can influence the story. You can join at any time! Just make sure to read the Rules which you can find below.

BASIC INFORMATION
1. I'm not a native speaker – if I make mistakes (and I do), please tell me so that I can correct them and learn something.
2. This is a second part of my mega campaign – you can find the first one here.
3. This is a gameplay/narrative fully interactive AAR.
4. I'm planning to export this to „Victoria 2”
5. I'll be using four mods: Purple Phoenix Arises by dorimi (gameplay changes), Feudal Factions by Alex (gameplay changes), Tooltip Font Mod (UI changes) and Thick Borders (UI changes).
6. You may join the interactive part of this AAR at any time.
7. If you break forum rules or rules of this AAR I will notify the moderators.
8. Game settings: Hard AI Difficulty, Random Lucky Nations, no savescumming, no cheats – unless they help the AI.
9. Game version at start: 1.8 („Art of War” release patch).
10. I always respond to your comments.

GENERAL RULES
1. Golden rule – civility
Whatever happens in the Senate, stays in the Senate. Your characters may argue, conspire against each other or even be executed but you HAVE TO refrain from personal attacks. „This Is Madness 2” is set in a brutal and unforgiving pre-modern world and will include topics which are very emotional in the real world like: racial inequality, gender inequality, war, disease, murder, religious violence, intolerance, infanticide, genocide, colonization, imperialism, exploitation, slavery and many others.

That's why debating this issues you have to remember that you are just playing a character. We are not discussing the aforementioned topics „for real”, so don't try to derail the thread by talking about the real world issues. We're here to have fun together, so cool down and let everyone enjoy this AAR. I like writing this story so I won't hesitate to notify the mods if you can't calm down on your own.

2. Respect forum rules!
Just a quick reminder: no trolling, no spamming, no external links, no forbidden or illegal stuff

3. In-character and out-of-character
While writing as your character (during the Senate Session) you HAVE TO write in italic: example. Everything not written in italic is considered being said out-of-character with all the consequences.
When speaking out-of-character during the Senate Session you HAVE TO use double braces: {{example}}
Stick to thes rules – when you don't keep in mind difference between your character and you, things tend to get ugly. Arguing with other out-of-character and harassing people means that I will notify the moderators.

4. Writing in-character when there is no Senate Session being held is forbidden.
Seriously – I'll notify the mods if you do so. Posting your comments kept in spirit of the story is allowed however, as long as they are your comments and not your character's.

5. Voting or debating during Senate Session outside of this thread is forbidden.
This includes PM, e-mails and so on – all your interaction with the story and other participants is limited to this thread.

6. I reserve the right to change any and all rules at a moment's notice.
Rules aren't set in the stone – if something won't work as intended, I'll make necessary corrections. They may also be changed accordingly to how the game or the story develops

I hope you'll enjoy the story.

CzokletMuss

Last edited:
Reactions:
II. TABLE OF CONTENTS

RhnRrYY.jpg

AFTER ACTION REPORT
THE IMPERIAL SENATE (INTERACTIVE)
SESSIONS OF THE SENATE
DIARIUM SENATORUM IMPERIALIS

MODDING
DEV DIARIES

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
III. THE IMPERIAL SENATE

bXfsLO5.jpg

1. ANNOUNCEMENTS OF THE SENATE SESSIONS

2. ALBUM SENATORIUM

1. senator Decius of the noble House PYLAEUS (played by: ThetrueColt)
  2. senator Leon of the noble House CORTEZ (played by: zqfrmb)
  3. senator Andronikos of the noble House OURANOS (played by: Blogman66)
  4. senator Lodovico of the noble House DI CAPPONI (played by: Enlil)
  5. senator Philaretos of the noble House MANDROMENOS (played by: Mach Twelve)
  6. senator Lazaros of the noble House MELISSENOS (played by: McGrey)
  7. senator Marcus of the noble House SCIPION (played by: varetta)
  8. senator Leon of the noble House TAURINUS (played by: Ponce_The_Great)
  9. senator Petrus of the noble House WEDROVANDER (played by: Kingjerkera)
  10. senator Alexios of the noble House COLOMBO (played by:luciusmalfoy012)
  11. senator Ioannes of the noble House RAOUL (played by: Attalus)
  12. senator Magnus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne)
  13. VACANT SEAT
  14. senator Marius of the noble House SERAPIS (played by: Serpent)
  15. senator Samuele of the noble House ESTE-RAVENNA (played by: Undead Martyr)
  16. senator Nikephoros of the noble House SALAMIS (played by: ParrotGuy)
  17. senator Donasien of the noble House DE LA LUMIERE (played by: Tecumseh23)
  18. senator Markos of the noble House VON HABSBURG (played by: GulMacet)
  19. senator Flavius of the noble House MOJMIRID (played by: Teutonic King)
  20. VACANT SEAT
  21. senator Absalon of the noble House HVIDE (played by: Drucchi)
  22. senator Alexios of the noble House VON HOHENZOLLERN (played by: zenphoenix)
  23. senator Banoub of the noble House RASHID (played by: BanishTheSpleen)
  24. senator Dooley of the noble House AZIZID (played by: TurtleShroom)
  25. senator Jakov of the noble House ZETSMRTI (played by: Jericho Roker)
  26. senator Theon of the noble House MUZAKA (played by: Rascar Capac)
  27. senator David of the noble House IGNACION (played by: Awesomematrix96)
  28. senator Belissarios of the noble House LEONIDOS (played by: RedInc)

3. HOUSE PAGES

Last edited:
IV. SENATE FACTIONS

q32fjzl.jpg

1. FACTION MEMBERS
DqZtmDv.jpg

1. Speaker of the Red Demes senator Alexios of the noble House ESTE-RAVENNA (played by: Undead Martyr)
  2. senator Leon of the noble House TAURINUS (played by: Ponce_The_Great)
  3. senator Marcus of the noble House SCIPION (played by: varetta)
  4. senator Philaretos of the noble House MANDROMENOS (played by: Mach Twelve)
  5. senator Nikephoros of the noble House SALAMIS (played by: ParrotGuy)
  6. senator Petrus of the noble House WEDROVANDER (played by: Kingjerkera)
  7. senator Jakov of the noble House ZETSMRTI (played by: Jericho Roker)
  8. senator Donasien of the noble House DE LA LUMIERE (played by: Tecumseh23)

jUOt3FO.jpg

1. Speaker of the White Demes senator Decius of the noble House PYLAEUS (played by: ThetrueColt)
  2. senator Andronikos of the noble House OURANOS (played by: Blogman66)
  3. senator Lodovico of the noble House DI CAPPONI (played by: Enlil)
  4. senator Lazaros of the noble House MELISSENOS (played by: McGrey)
  5. senator Marius of the noble House SERAPIS (played by: Serpent)
  6. senator Ioannes of the noble House RAOUL (played by: Attalus)
  7. senator Belissarios of the noble House LEONIDOS (played by: RedInc)

2WOjbVD.jpg

1. Speaker of the Blue Demes senator Alexios of the noble House COLOMBO (played by:luciusmalfoy012)
  2. senator Leon of the noble House CORTEZ (played by: zqfrmb)
  3. senator Magnus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne)
  4. senator Absalon of the noble House HVIDE (played by: Drucchi)
  5. senator Flavius of the noble House MOJMIRID (played by: Teutonic King)
  6. senator Dooley of the noble House AZIZID (played by: TurtleShroom)

unaffiliated
  1. senator Banoub of the noble House RASHID (played by: BanishTheSpleen)
  2. senator Markus of the noble House VON HABSBURG (played by: GulMacet)
  3. senator Alexios of the noble House VON HOHENZOLLERN (played by: zenphoenix)
  4. senator Theon of the noble House MUZAKA (played by: Rascar Capac)
  5. senator David of the noble House IGNACION (played by: Awesomematrix96)

2. FACTION MEETINGS
Red Demes
Meeting A.D. 1465 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [7-9 December 2014]

Meeting A.D. 1480 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [4-6 February 2015]

Meeting A.D. 1540 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [10-13 June 2015]

Meeting A.D. 1560 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing)

Meeting A.D. 1566 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing)

White Demes
Meeting A.D 1480 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [31 Jan - 2 Feb 2015]

Meeting A.D. 1540 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [13-16 June 2015]

Meeting A.D 1560 - (Announcement)(Opening) (Closing)

Meeting A.D. 1566 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing)

Blue Demes
Meeting A.D. 1465 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [4-6 December 2014]

Meeting A.D. 1480 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [15-17 January 2015]

Meeting A.D. 1540 - (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing) [16-19 June]

Meeting A.D. 1560 – (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing)

Meeting A.D. 1566 – (Announcement) (Opening) (Closing)

3. FACTION MODIFIERS
Red Demes
coming soon

White Demes
coming soon

Blue Demes
coming soon

4. FACTIONS AND IDEA GROUPS
f4tq1eb.jpg

5. RULES ON DUELS
Rules on Duels

636px-Military_and_religious_life_in_the_Middle_Ages_and_at_the_period_of_the_Renaissance_%281870%29_%2814598398438%29.jpg

I. Introduction

Duel is a new mechanic for the interactive part of the AAR allowing characters to fight each other for honor (or other ulterior motives). This opens a new field for interaction and richer experience for all participants of the AAR.

Story-wise, according to laws of the Imperium as a general rule „judicial duel” (trial by combat) is forbidden. However, it is a privilege of all nobleborn to settle their disputes outside of the court in a duel, a tradition which emerged during Middle Ages and was based on customs of the Latins. This is not only much faster and cheaper method but often is the only way in which poor nobles could try to seek justice. It is also much riskier and most of the dynatoi – in these rare cases in which they are challenged and they themselves do not have authority over challenger – prefer to appeal to imperial courts.

II. Starting a Duel

To start a Duel your character must be in possession of the following:

• Honor (in-character)– to challange or be challenged to a Duel one must have be honorable himself; Dishonorable characters or characters from Dishonorable Houses are incapable of giving Satisfaction
  • Just Cause (in-character) – a valid reason to challange someone to a Duel; validity is judged by me in regard to laws and customs of the Imperium and gravity of the Offense
  • Permission (out-of-character) – given by me; without Permission you may not challenge anyone to a Duel

To be challenged for a Duel your character may give another character an Offense. Offense may become a Just Cause if approved by me.

If all of the conditions are fulfilled, your character may challenge other character to a Duel.

The Challenger has right to choose one of the following types of Duel:
  • First Blood – Duel lasts until the first wound
  • Second Blood – Duel lasts until the second wound
  • Third Blood – Duel lasts until the third wound
  • Last Man Standing – Duel lasts until one of the parties is physically incapable to continue fighting due to the wounds
  • To the Death – Duel lasts ntil one party is mortally wounded or killed
If the challenge is accepted, the Duel may begin.
Refusal to accept the Duel causes refusing character to lose Honor.

III. Conditions of the Duel

Once the challenge is accepted, the challenging party („Challenger”) and the offended part („Offended”) must agree on the conditions of the Duel.

The following conditions always apply:
  • President of the Senate serves as a judge in every duel
  • Imperial Guardsmen assist the President in fulfilling his duties
  • Each party must name 1 trusted representative („Second”) among other characters; if party is member of the Demes, the Second also must be a member of such Demes
  • Each Second is responsible for the weapon of nominating party and condition of thereof
  • Both Seconds must agree on the place and time in which the Duel will take place („field of honor”)

The Offended has a right to choose weapons with which the Duel will be fought. Only melee weapons are allowed.

IV. The Duel

Four characters participate in the Duel (Challenger and his second, Offended and his second) as well as NPCs played by me. Faction Speakers may observe the Duel but may not participate.

Duel lasts until Satisfaction is given (1st blood, 2nd blood, death etc.) or until one of the party decides to Yield.

Once the Duel starts, each party may try to attack the other one; the party which starts is determined by a coin flip by me.

The Duel is divided into Rounds. Each Round consists of a single attac.

During each Round both parties roll d6 dice. The attacking party must have score at least 3 points higher than the other party to succesfully inflict a wound.

The difference of score needed to inflict a wound becomes 2 after 5 Rounds and 1 after 10 Rounds.

In the same post in which an attack is described you (the participant) must declare whether it is a Normal Attack or Attack to Kill.

V. Death and experience

Duel is dangerous. Each hit may potentially cause death:

Normal Attack
  • 1st wound – 5% chance of death
  • 2nd wound – 10% chance of death
  • 3rd wound – 15% chance of death
Attack to Kill
  • 1st wound – 25% chance of death
  • 2nd wound – 50% chance of death
  • 3rd wound – 75% chance of death
You may also automatically kill an enemy who decided to Yield. This will bring great dishonor for your House, making your House Dishonorable.

Attack to Kill is only allowed during Duel To the Death. If used succesfully in any other Duel it makes your character Dishonorabke.

Killing the other party accidentaly doesn't make your character Dishonorable.

Every character which won the Duel (gained Satisfaction) gains +1 to attack and defense rolls.

Last edited:
V. CHARACTERS AND CHARACTER CREATION

gVVlaGI.jpg

SECTION 1: SENATORS AND NOBLE HOUSES
The Emperor is the sole ruler of the Imperium and God's Regent on Earth – however, as Basileus Markos III Angelos decided in his wisdom, even His Imperial Majesty needs advice from time to time. For centuries this was the task of the High Imperial Council but now, at the dawn of a new era, it was deemed necessary to lighten the burden of the Emperor's privy council by reviving one of the oldest institutions of the Romans – the Imperial Senate.

In this interactive AAR you may play the role of a Senator and by participating in the proceedings of the Senate influence actions of the Imperium both story-wise and game-wise. The role of the Senate is to issue new legislation and advise the Emperor every time and in every matter he deems necessary. You, as a Senator, are the member and a representative of one of the Noble Houses – moderately powerful and influential dynasties of the Imperium. Since „Europa Universalis IV” covers almost 400 years it is expected of you to play several characters, all members of the same House.

The rules which you can find below may look complicated but are rather simple when you get into it. If you are interested in participating in this interactive AAR, please read all of them carefully and follow the instructions. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in this thread or via PM.

In „Imperium Sine Fine” you will be playing as two entities – noble House and its Senator.

The Noble Houses

Noble House is equivalent to dynasty in „Crusader Kings II”. As the game and story goes on, your characters may die but your dynasty lives on. But first a little background.

The Roman nobility consists can be divided basically in two groups. Minor nobles – aristoi – are numerous and serve the Imperium as officers, clerks, bureaucrats and other officials but their prosperity depends greatly on being in Emperor's favor. As small landowners, they wouldn't be able to maintain a lifestyle adequate to their social status without roga, cash salary paid to them for their military or civil service. On the other hand, some families managed to monopolize senior administrative and military posts in certain provinces of the Imperium and amassed extensive lands and wealth. These are dynatoi or „the powerful”, the most influential dynasties in the Imperium who, thanks to enormous latifundia and web of connections maintained for centuries, can field private armies of impressive size and posess the power equal to this of kings in Christian realms.

Your Noble House is somewhere in between these two extremes. Emperor Markos III Angelos decided to revive the Senate but this time based not on powerful patriciants but a sort of a „middle class” of nobility – not as powerful as dynatoi but much more influential than common aristoi. After all, what's the better way to curb the power of the magnates than to turn the lower nobility against them?

The Senators

Senators are characters played by you. They are members of your Noble House and they are the agents through which you can interact with me, the other people and ultimately with the world of this AAR. Think of them as your current character in „Crusader Kings II” while your Noble House is your dynasty.

Senators may do a lot of things, mainly debating during a Senate Session and voting, but they can also ask questions to the guests of the Senate during the hearing (played by me). As one of the Senators, you will be asked for counsel by the Emperor and you will be able to vote over important issues like chosing National Ideas, enacting National Decisions and Policies and chosing Missions.

Because „Europa Universalis IV” spans for almost 400 years, your character will die eventually – he may even be executed if deemed to be traitor of the Imperium! Keep this in mind while taking part in this AAR: you WILL have to make another character sooner or later. I expect to see a new generation of Senators more or less every 50-70 years.

SECTION 2: CHARACTER CREATION
You must create your character (Senator) and his noble House by using the following templates:

Noble House template:
Code:
[size=4][B]HOUSE <NAME>:[/B][/size]
[B]Name:[/B] House <NAME>
[B]Seat:[/B] <city> (<province>)
[B]Founded by:[/B] <NAME> in the year <DATE>
[B]History[/B]: <text>
[B]Notable members[/B]: <text>

Senator template:
Code:
[U][B]SENATOR TEMPLATE:[/B][/U]
[B]Name:[/B] <NAME>
[B]Residence:[/B] <city> (<province>)
[B]Year of birth:[/B] <DATE>
[B]Culture/nationality:[/B] <culture>
[B]Offices and titles:[/B] <text>
[B]Biography:[/B] <text>

And here are examples of how to properly use templates:
HOUSE SIMPLUS:
Name: House Simplus
Seat: Alexandreia (Aegyptus)
Founded by: Testus Simplus in the year 1300
Notable members: Testus Simplus (1270-1310), Exemplus Simplus (1530-...)
History: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
SENATOR EXEMPLUS SIMPLUS:
Name: Exemplus Simplus
Residence: Alexandreia (Aegyptus)
Year of birth: 1530
Culture/nationality: Aegyptian
Offices and titles: Droungarios of the Imperial Navy
Biography: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

RULES OF CHARACTER CREATION

Of course there are some limitation on what character you may create. Here's are all of them listed - your Senator and noble House must fulfill them in order to be accepted:

GENERAL
  • In title of the e-mail you must include (1) your forum nickname (2) name of the House (3) Faction which your Senator joins or information that he doesn't join any Faction
  • Please use the terminology of this AAR: „Imperium” instead of "empire" or "Empire" etc. I reserve the right to suggest necessary changes in your applications in this aspect.
  • History of the noble House may be 500 characters long.
  • Biography of the Senator may be 1500 characters long.
  • All Senators die due to natural reasons at age of 85 years.
  • You may retire your Senator when he reaches the age of 65 years.

NOBLE HOUSE
  • Noble Houses of the players ARE quite wealthy and moderately influential (top 25% of the society)
  • Noble Houses of the players ARE NOT members of the dynatoi, the most powerful and wealthy Houses of the Imperium (top 1% of the society)
  • Noble Houses MAY have some small castles, villages together with fields and manors in cities.
  • Noble Houses MAY engage in trade, commerce and other economical activities within borders of the Imperium.
  • Noble Houses MAY NOT be the same as the old imperial Byzantine Houses (for instance like House Makedon).
  • Noble Houses HAVE TO be original. You can't use Houses which existed historically before 11th century nor Houses mentioned in the story (Doukas, Komnenos, Piast, Zahringen, Dalassenos, Skleros etc.) You may however use Houses which were not mentioned in the story or never existed in the alternate timeline of ISF - so for instance House Jagiellon is allowed.

SENATOR
  • Senator MUST be male.
  • Senator MUST be Orthodox Christian.
  • Senator MUST be aristos (nobleman).
  • Senator MUST be at least 25 years old.
  • Senator MUST have some experience in service of the Imperium.
  • Senator MAY live in any province of the Imperium.
  • Senator MAY be of culture/nationality which exists in the Imperium (for example: Roman, Italian, Bavarian, Croatian, Aragonese, Polish etc.)
  • Senator MUST NOT be xenos, half-xenos or of mixed ancestry.
  • Senator MUST NOT be heathen (not-Christian).
  • Senator MUST NOT be of culture/nationality which doesn't exist within borders of the Imperium.

SECTION 3: CHARACTER SUBMISSION
Above all else please follow the rules – I'm jut one guy and with up to 24 Senators making sure everything is neatly organized may take a lot of time. So, you read the rules, created your noble House and Senator and now want to join the interactive AAR. Here's what you need to do:

(1) This is my first character ever
  • Send an e-mail to senate.of.the.imperium.romanum@gmail.com which contains (1) your noble House prepared using the template (2) your Senator prepared using the template.
  • When I receive your e-mail I'll let you know.
  • After I read your submission I'll give you my comments on what to change and whatnot.
  • You'll have to make the necessary changes and send the corrected versions of noble House and Senator.
  • When everything will be okay I'll give you my approval.
  • This means that you get seat in the Senate and may join the interactive AAR. Welcome and have fun!

(2) I already have seat in the Senate and I want to submit new character
  • Send an e-mail to senate.of.the.imperium.romanum@gmail.com which contains (1) your new Senator prepared using the template.
  • When everything will be okay I'll give you my approval.
  • Your character will be added to Album Senatorium.

Last edited:
VI. RULES OF PROCEDURE OF THE IMPERIAL SENATE

fasFLmq.jpg

His Imperial Majesty Basileios III Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom reforms the Senatus Imperialis, hereby issues Edictum de Senatum Imperialis in order to, continuing great work of His Imperial Majesty Markos III Angelos, reform this august body so that it could better serve God's Regent on Earth and thus the Imperium.

Signed on 20 December Anno Domini 1549​

RULES OF PROCEDURE

TITLE I. The Imperial Senate
Part 1: The Imperial Senate

Article 1 – The Imperial Senate
1. The sacred Emperor basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom reforms the Senatus Imperialis to serve Him with counsel and to prepare bills whenever it is deemed necessary by Him.
2. His Imperial Majesty entrusts the Senate with a certain degree of His power carried out by the Senate in His name and in accordance with His will.
3. The Senate has no other powers than those bestowed upon it by His Imperial Majesty.
4. The powers of the Senate may be revoked or suspended anytime by His Imperial Majesty.
5. The Rules of Procedure may be changed anytime by His Imperial Majesty.

Part 2: Legislative powers

Article 2 – Legislative powers
1. His Imperial Majesty is the source of all laws.
2. The right of legislative initiative belongs only to His Imperial Majesty.
3. The Senate may issue senatus consulta by the authority vested in it by His Imperial Majesty.
4. Senatus consultum approved by His Imperial Majesty has the force of law.

Article 3 – Senatus consultum
Senatus consultum may concern only the following matters:
- National Ideas;
- National Focus;
- Policies.

Article 4 – Senatorial Policies
1. On its own initative the Senate may propose Senatorial Policies to His Imperial Majesty.
2. Senatorial Policies are proposed for approval of His Imperial Majesty as senatus consulta.

In AAR terms this means that whatever the Senators decide in a form of senatus consultum is binding for me.

Part 3: Advisory powers

Article 5 – Advisory powers
1. His Imperial Majesty may ask the Senate for counsel in a particular matter.
2. The Senate may issue resolutions to express its opinion on the matter presented to it by His Imperial Majesty.
3. Resolutions do not have the force of a law.

In AAR terms this means that whatever the Senators decide in a form of resolution is NOT binding for me.

TITLE II. Organisation
Part 1: The Senators

Article 6 – Number of Senators
1. The Senate consists of 24 delegates of the Noble Houses.
2. Each Noble House has 1 seat in the Senate.
3. To be eligible to become Senator, member of the Noble House have to be:
- male;
- at least 25 years old;
- experienced in the service of the Imperium;
4. The privilege of representation in the Senate is granted and revoked by His Imperial Majesty.

Article 7 – Album Senatorium
List of the Senators (Album Senatorium) is maintained and revised by the President of the Senate.

Article 8 – Prerogatives and duties
1. The Senator has a right to
- vote on bills of His Imperial Majesty and the Senate;
- propose amendments to the bills;
- participate in the debate during the Session;
- join or leave Factions.
2. The Senator may not hold any other office.
3. The Senator has to reside in Konstantinoupolis at all time.

Article 9 – Term of office
1. The Senators, before the commencement of the performance of their duties, shall take the following oath in the presence of the Senate:
- „I do swear in the name of the Holy and Indivisible Trinity to perform my duties to the Throne diligently and conscientiously, to devote all my effort to serve His Imperial Majesty with counsel and to observe the laws of the Imperium Romanum. So help me Saint Markos.”
2. The Senators serve until they are removed from office.
3. The Senators are removed from office in case of:
- death;
- being charged with treason or heresy;
- flagrant violation of the rules.
4. In case its delegate to the Senate is removed from office, the Noble House has to choose new delegate before the next Session or it will lose its seat in the Senate.

Part 2: The Factions

Article 10 – Senatorial Factions
1. The Senators may organise themselves within the Factions.
2. The Factions are as follows:
- the White Demes;
- the Red Demes;
- the Blue Demes.
3. The Factions may propose amendments to the bills of His Imperial Majesty and the Senate.

Article 11 – Membership
1. Membership in the Factions is voluntary.
2. A Senator may be a member of only one Faction at a time.

Article 12 – Faction Speakers
1. Each Faction has a Speaker who represents it before the Senate and other Factions.
2. Speaker is elected among the members of his Faction by acclamation.
3. Speaker:
- proposes Senatorial Policies in the name of his Faction;
- requests a Meeting for his Faction;
- notifies members of his Faction via PM of the Meeting;

Article 13 – Faction Meeting
1. Each Faction may hold a Meeting for its members to discuss public affairs of the state between Sessions.
2. Meeting lasts for 72 hours and is requested by the Speaker
3. Meetings take place in:
- Atrium of Church of the Virgin of the Pharos (Meeting of the White Demes);
- Hall of Augusteus in Palace of Daphne (Meeting of the Red Demes);
- Neptune's Balcony in Boukelon Palace (Meeting of the Blue Demes).
4. Speaker ensures order and decorum during the Meeting, while members of the Imperial Senate Guard ensure safety of the Senators.

Part 3: The President

Article 14 – President of the Senate
1. The President of the Senate presides over the debates of the Senate, safeguards the rights of the Senate, as well as represents the Senate in external matters.
2. The President is nominated by His Imperial Majesty.
3. The President exercises his prerogatives in accordance with will of His Imperial Majesty.
4. Speaker of the dominant Faction is given a title of Vicepresident of the Senate and an honorary seat during the Session.
5. President may delegate some of his responsibilities to the Vicepresident.

Article 15– Prerogatives and duties
1. President also:
- convenes the Sessions of the Senate;
- introduces bills of His Imperial Majesty to the Senate;
- invites guest to the Sessions of the Senate;
- announces results of the Sessions of the Senate;
- maintains Album Senatorium.
2. President ensures order and decorum during the Sessions of the Senate with help of the Imperial Senate Guard.
3. President issues penalties in case of violations of the rules and removes Senators from the office by the order of His Imperial Majesty.

Article 16 – Diarium Senatorum Imperialis
1. President issues Senatorial Record (Diarium Senatorum Imperialis).
2. Senatorial Record includes information concerning the following:
- Album Senatorium;
- new Noble Houses given the privilege of representation in the Senate;
- new Seators nominated to the Senate by the Noble Houses;
- other issues deemed important by the President.

TITLE III. Procedures
Part 1: The Session of the Senate

Article 17– The Session of the Senate
1. The Session is called by His Imperial Majesty.
2. The Session is divided into the following parts:
- announcement;
- opening;
- debate;
- recess;
- voting;
- closing;
3. During the debate a hearing may take place.

Article 18– Announcement
1. The Session is announced by the President.
2. The announcement includes the following:
- agenda of the Session;
- policies;
- Senatorial Policies;
- Album Senatorium.
3. The agenda of the Session includes the following:
- bills of His Imperial Majesty introduced to the Senate;
- date and hour in which the Session is opened;
- time scheduled for the Session in days;
- date and hour in which the Session is closed;
- guests of the Senate;
- other information deemed important by the President.

Article 19 – Opening
1. The Session is opened by the President.
2. The inauguration includes the following:
- presentation of the agenda;
- presentation of the guests of the Senate.
3. The debate begins after the inauguration.

Article 20 – Debate
1. During the debate the Senators may present their statements, discuss subjects of the Session with other Senators and propose amendments to bills.
2. The debate lasts at least 72 hours.
3. The Senators have to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
Code:
[b][size=4]Senator <name> (<name> Demes):[/b][/size]
4. During the debate, Senators may not:
- carry any weapon with themselves;
- be accompanied by any servants or slaves;
- bring any items without the permission of the President.

Article 21 – Recess
1. During the debate the President may call recess of the Senate.
2. The recess lasts at least 24 hours.
3. During the recess the Session is suspended.

Article 22 – Voting
The debate ends with the beginning of the voting.

Article 23 – Closing
1. The Session is closed by the President.
2. After closure posting in-character is not allowed.

Article 24 – Hearing
1. During hearing the Senators may ask questions to the Guests of the Senate invited to the Session by the President.
2. Questions are asked using the following template:
Code:
[size+4][b]Question:[/b][/size]
3. Guest of the Senate:
- answer questions asked by the Senators;
- may issue statement after arriving in the Senate ;
- may not participate in the debate in any other way.
4. While answering the Guests may use all data available to them considering his position in the imperial administration
5. Guest of the Senate ignore questions asked without using the aforementioned template or those they deems unimportant or badly thought out.

Part 2: Amendment

Article 25 – Amendment
1. Every Senator who is a member of a Faction may propose motion to amend a bill during the debate (amendment).
2. Amendment must include the following information:
- name of the amended bill;
- proposed amendment of the bill;
- statement of reasons for which the motion was proposed.

Article 26 – Proposing amendment
1. Only one amendment may be proposed by the Senator during the Session.
2. To be put under vote by the Senate such motion must by supported by at least five other Senators.

Article 27 – Supporting amendment
1. Every Senator may support an amendment.
2. The Senators may support as many amendments as they wish.
3. The Senators support amendment by using the following template:
Code:
[b][size=4]House <NAME> supports the amendment of Senator <NAME>[b][/size]
3. In the same post the Senator have to state reasons for which he supports the amendment.
4. Additonally the Senators who support an amendment have to use the „✓Agree” button in bottom right corner of the post which contains the amendment.

Part 3: Policy

Article 28 – Policy
1. Each Senator may propose motion to enact available Policy.
2. Articles 25-27 apply accordingly.

Part 4: Senate Policy

Article 29 – Senate Policy
1. Each Session the Senate may present one Senate Policy to His Imperial Majesty for His approval.
2. Senate Policy approved by His Imperial Majesty is enacted.
3. Only Senate Policies passed by the Senate may be presented to His Imperial Majesty.

Article 30 – Proposing Senate Policy
1. Every Faction Speaker may propose a Senate Policy in the name of his Faction.
2. Senate Policy must include the following information:
- name of the proposed Senate Policy;
- two bonuses chosen from the list of ideas in the Custon Nation Designer for EU4;
3. The total cost of two bonuses provided by Senate Policy may not surpass 20 points.

Article 31 – Supporting Senate Policies
1. Every Speaker supports the Senate Policy proposed by him.
2. Every Speaker may also support Senate Policy proposed by other Speaker.
3. To be put to a vote Senate Policy has to be supported by at least two Speakers.

TITLE IV. Voting
Article 32 – Voting
1. Voting begins after announcement of the President.
2. Votes are counted by the President.
3. Results of the voting are announced by the President before closing of the Session.

Article 33 – Votes
1. Every Senator has one vote.
2. Senators vote using ballots.
3. Senators cast vote by posting one post in the thread which includes the ballot (voting post).
4. The voting post may include also a closing argument no longer than five sentences.

Article 34 – Validity of the vote
1. Vote is valid if it meets the formal requirements described in article 32.
2. Vote is also invalid when it doesn't meet the formal requirements described in article 32.
3. Vote is also invalid if Senator:
- voted and later edited the post in which the vote was cast;
- voted more than one time;
- voted while writing out-of-character;
- voted after the voting ended;
- voted elsewhere than in this thread;

Article 35 – Ballot
1. Ballots are provided to the Senators by the President before start of the voting.
2. Ballots include the following information:
- names of senatus consulta, amendments, policies and Senate Policies;
- possible voting options.
3. Ballot includes also statement concerning membership in the Senate Faction.

Article 36 – Quorum and majority
1. The Senate passes bills by a simple majority vote, in the presence of at least half of the number of Senators.
2. Current number of Senators and quorum derived from it are included in the opening of the Session.

TITLE V. Violations and penalties
Article 37 – General
1. Senator who violates the rules may be:
- issued a warning;
- prohibited from voting during the next Session;
- removed from office.
2. Player who violates the rules notoriously may be:
- temporarily suspended from participating in the AAR;
- permanently banned from participating in the AAR.
3. Player who was suspended or banned will be reported to Forum Moderators.

Article 38 – Absence
1. Senator who is doesn't vote during two consecutive Sessions is permanently removed from Album Senatorium together with his noble House.
2. Absence is not counted towards the abovementioned limit if it was notified by private message or e-mail before opening of the Session.

Article 39 – Speakers
1. Speaker is responsible for every violation of the Rules during the Meeting.
2. Speakers are also responsible for actions of members of their Faction in other cases if due to organisational reasons such need arises.

Article 40 – Penalties in-character
1. Penalties are administered by the President.
2. The following are considered capital offense:
- insulting, offending or disrespecting Saint Markos Isapostolos;
- critisicing His Imperial Majesty;
- questioning the Divine Providence which guides His Imperial Majesty in all his actions;
- commiting blasphemy, especially by promoting or encouraging idolatry, faithlessness, sorcery, aposthasy, sodomy, shamelessness, immorality, wickedness et cetera;
- wearing purple clothes;
3. Capital offenses are punished by mutilation and death by burning.

Article 41 – Tribunal of the Senate
1. The Tribunal of the Senate may be convened by His Imperial Majesty.
2. The Tribunal has judicial authority over Senators.
3. The Tribunal pronounces judgments in the name of His Imperial Majesty.
4. President of the Senate shall be chairman of the Tribunal.
5. The Tribunal shall be composed of a chairman and:
- one member chosen by His Imperial Majesty;
- one member chosen by the Senate.
6. The Tribunal passes judgment in a simple majority vote.

Last edited:
VII. ARCHIVES OF GREAT PANDIDAKTERION

uybu5u4.jpg

1. IMPERIAL ADMINISTRATION
Since the Imperium is more than a thousand years old there is no clear and easily comprehensible system like the ones introduced by modern constitutions. Instead this is a chaotic mess of various institutions, offices, titles and honors, with countless officials occupied by plotting and scheming against each other. Turf wars and competition for power, resources and Emperor's favor are a daily bread for Roman administration. The most important among imperial instutions are:
  • Sacrum Palatium (Sacred Palace also known as the Great Palace);
  • Imperial Council;
  • Scrinium Barbarorum (Bureau of Barbarians);
  • Aerarium (The Imperial Treasury);
  • Imperial Senate;
  • The Holy Church;
  • Great Pandidakterion;
  • Eparchate of Konstantinoupolis;
  • Imperial Army and its Themata;
  • Imperial Navy and its Themata;
  • Tagmata;
and countless others logothesia and sekreta (departaments) or organizations like agentes in rebus, not to mention administrative themata, provinces, separate fleets, mercenary units, courts of law etc. Luckily not all of this is going to be represtented in game. The exceptions are Factions in the Imperial Senate and the Imperial Council.

U3X09wU.jpg

The Imperial Council is arguably the most powerful and influential institution in the Imperium save for the Throne itself. It serves as a quasi-cabinet of the whole government. It consists of the top leaders of the executive branch (if this term can be used at all in this context) like Megas Domestikos (commander-in-chief of the Imperial Army), Megas Droungarios (commander-in-chief of the Imperial Navy) or Megas Logothetes (head of all other logothetes and their departaments, kinda like Prime Minister in modern democracies) as its permanent members. The Emperor however may nominate officials to the Imperial Council as he pleases. These officials plus Senate Factions gaining or losing support from the Council is how it acts game-wise, while story-wise it's basically responsible for whole day-to-day functioning of the Imperium.

Code:
# [B]PALACE OFFICIALS[/B]

# [B]Parakoimomenos [/B]- ADM FACTION
byz_parakoimomenos = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]diplomatic_annexation_cost = -0.05[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]stability_cost_modifier = 0.05[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Protovestiarios [/B]- ADM FACTION
byz_protovestiarios = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]prestige = 1[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Pinkernes [/B]- DIP FACTION
byz_pinkernes = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]global_spy_defence = 0.10[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Kanikleios [/B]- DIP FACTION
byz_kanikleios = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]relations_decay_of_me = 0.10[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Protospatharios [/B]- MIL FACTION
byz_trapezes = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]unjustified_demands = -0.10[/COLOR]
}

Code:
# [B]MILITARY OFFICIALS[/B]

# [B]Domestikos [/B]- MIL FACTION
byz_domestikos = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]discipline = 0.025[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]global_tax_modifier = -0.03[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Strategos [/B]- MIL FACTION
byz_strategos = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]land_morale = 0.05[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Protostrator [/B]- MIL FACTION
byz_protostrator = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]cavalry_power = 0.05[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Droungarious [/B]- DIP FACTION
byz_megasdoux = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]naval_morale = 0.05[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Ethnarches [/B]- ADM FACTION
byz_ethnarches = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]merc_maintenance_modifier = -0.10[/COLOR]
}

Code:
# [B]FINANCIAL OFFICIALS[/B]

# [B]Protasekretis [/B]- DIP FACTION
byz_protasekretis = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]global_colonial_growth = 10[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]global_trade_goods_size = -0.05[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Logothetes tou Genikou[/B] - ADM FACTION
byz_genikou = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]global_tax_modifier = 0.07[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Logothetes tou Dromou[/B] - DIP FACTION
byz_dromou = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]envoy_travel_time = -0.15[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Logothetes tou Stratiotikou[/B] - MIL FACTION
byz_stratiotikou = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]recover_army_morale_speed = 0.05[/COLOR]
}

# [B]Sakellarios [/B]- ADM FACTION
byz_sakellarios = {
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]interest = -1[/COLOR]
}

2. THE GREAT REFORM OF MARKOS III ANGELOS
During centuries the Imperium have faced innumerable invasions and although in the end it was always victorious, the cycle of expansion, stagnation, decay and rebirth caused the imperial administration to resemble truly bureaucratic nightmare. Always having lower priority than the imperial military or diplomacy, after the introduction of themata system over 700 years ago the administration was only adapted ad hoc to the ever-changing threats the Imperium was facing at the moment. Initially this allowed for a great flexibility in dealing with constant stream of new enemies but in time the imperial administration completely degenerated. In its nadir during the First Doukid Anarchy, following the disastrous battle of Manzikert in 1071, the themata system all but collapsed entirely. In the following years it was slowly being rebuilt until the Second Doukid Anarchy (1172-1177) when it was destroyed completely. In chaos of Anarchy only small forces of mercenaries paid by the Throne and soldiers of Markos the Just – doux of Samos, Thracesia, Cibyrrhaeot and Anatolia – were trying to restore order. When the Second Anarchy finally ended however no reforms were introduced by basilissa Euphrasia Doukas. Her long rule lasting over 50 years marked the complete decay of the administration and it was during these years when doukes became de facto rulers of imperial themata given them to govern, transforming them into fiefdoms and further eroding the power of the Throne.

It took Saint Markos himself to finally reform the rotting body of the imperial administration and it's obvious that if it wasn't for changes introduced by him, the Imperium would have fall, be it during the Years Without Summer, the Great Plague or the Sunset Invasion. It shouldn't be surprising though that when the not only Imperium but the Christendom itself was facing complete annihilation from the hands of invaders from the Far West and Mongol hordes of the East the reforms were never completed. Nor Saint Markos nor his descendants were given enough time to finish this great work and every invasion threatening the Imperium immediately caused all resources and attention to be diverted to the Imperial Army.

Sacred Emperor Markos III Angelos decided to change this once and for all.

What was later called „The Great Reform” composed in fact of three reforms, each completely changing the way in which the Imperium was functioning in its respective domain. The first and the most fundamental reform was the one which introduced a new administrative division of the whole Imperium. The obsolete and simplistic themata system with doux assigned to every thema was deemed inefficient and completely abandoned. Instead a new division was introduced as follows:

IMPERIAL ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION (STANDARD)[/CENTER]
  • (level) (name) (governor) (area)

• 1st; Thema; Archon (pl. Archontes); 1 thema

• 2nd; Kephanate; Kephalos (pl. Kephalai); 2-4 themata

• 3rd; Province; Eparchos (pl. Eparchoi); 8-20 themata

• 4th; Region; none (Sekreton); 40-80 themata

Ancient thema remained the basis of the administrative division but was greatly reduced, encompassing now several municipia or towns, numerous villages and at least one kastro or fortified camp of the Imperial Army. Its former place was now taken by kephalon – completely new administration unit governed by kephale – which in turned where included in provinces. Each of the governors were to be nominated by the Throne, with the position of eparchos limited only to eunuchs. Furthermore, since every governor was granted executive power by the sacred Emperor himself, giving the whole region under supervision of one individual was deemed too dangerous. That's why in case of a region encompassing dozens of themata there were no single governor – instead his place was taken by special sekreton – department in the Great Palace – to oversee eparchoi who were in charge of provinces. The new stratified system introduced a highly sophisticated interdependence between all levels in matters of taxation, public order and others, so that it was virtually impossible for any governor to seize too much power. And so for instance eparchos of province of Aegyptus was supervising several kephalai - each of whom was in charge of several archontes – but eparchos himself was under constant scrutiny of sekreton of Africa, which was also controlling eparchos of Abyssinia.

IMPERIAL ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION (SPECIAL)

• (name) (governor) (area)
  • Exarchate; Exarchos (pl. Exarchoi); 4-20 themata
  • Thema nautkion; Droungarios (pl. Droungaroi); 1-3 themata
Furthermore, two special units were created – exarchate for distant provinces especially endangered by barbarians and thema nautikon which were to be governed by droungaroi of the Imperial Fleet and serve it as naval bases and sources of manpower. In these two cases both exarchos and droungarios had unified control over both military and civil affairs – in stark contrast to standard units of administrative division, were all of the governors including archontes had very limited authority over the Imperial Army. They were responsible only for securing the imperial limites with conscripted soldiers of themata and stocking supplies for the true units of the Imperial Army, that is for the tagmata. A strict separation was henceforth introduced between these two formations.

IMPERIAL ARMY – THEMATA AND TAGMATA
  • (name) (task) (manpower)
  • Themata; Defense of the imperial limites, fortifications and cities; Compulsory conscription of Roman citizens
  • Tagmata; All other land-based military operations; Compulsory conscription of the best soldiers of themata and volunteers
With the introduction of this reform the ancient themata transformation into border guard or limitanei was completed. The training, arming and provisioning of the themata was left entirely in the hands of eparchos and its main goal was to hold back the enemy until the arrival of the tagmata. For this reason the reformed themata was sometime called „Provincial Defense” - the vast masses of conscripted peasant-soldiers were grossly inferior to experienced troops of tagmata, who were not only better trained and better equipped but whose regiments consisted of a mix of infantry and cavalry units. Although every thema and every tagma was lead by strategos of the Imperial Army, the best of them served in tagmata which alone could be commanded by domestikos.

The second reform introduced pronoia – a system of granting dedicated streams of state income to individuals, in most cases to aristoi. The new stratified system of the imperial administration made it effectively impossible for any of the imperial Houses to control more than just a handful of themata, every one of them being supervised by kephale nominated by the Throne. Ancient offices of doux or katepano were superseded by new ones, with greatly reduced independence and increased responsibilities. Furthermore, after the Great Reform every archon was not only in charge of a much smaller territory but also was basically deprived of any authority over the Imperial Army, with themata being organized on a level of a province by eparchos and structure of command of tagmata completely separated from local administration. Obviously the dynatoi of the greatest Houses opposed this reform with passion, for by doing so His Imperial Majesty was greatly limiting their ability to interfere with the will of the Throne. But even the most powerful of the noble Houses were just a mere shadows of themselves, their wealth and might greatly diminished after the purge orchestrated by megas domestikos Demetrios Komnenos.

In his great wisdom the sacred Autokrator decided to compensate not only dynatoi but all aristoi by introducing pronoia in proportion to the titles held by them. Furthermore, every Roman aristos was not only granted pronoia and allowed to keep his titles, although as purely honorific ones, but also every noble House was given a choice. Head of the House could choose whether to keep its lands and holdings in themata given his House to govern or to renounce them and cede them to the Throne in return for greatly increased pronoia for all members of the House and tax-exempt mansion in Konstantinoupolis with servants and slaves. And although many, especially dynatoi, in their pride refused to the Emperor's offer many aristoi agreed and soon one by one noble Houses waived their right to the office of doux in distant themata and changed their holdings for manors in the City. Since all aristoi regardless of their choice kept their honor and sacred duty as those privileged to serve as the officers in the Imperial Army and Navy, as well as serving as high officials in the imperial administration, the opposition to this reform of His Imperial Majesty was smaller than expected.

The third and the last reform was the introduction of a new coin – basilikon. The Imperial Aerarium was still facing huge difficulties after the costly war of Aegyptian liberation and even increased taxes seemed to not ease the burden of the Treasury. The old golden hyperpyrron was slowly being debased decade after decade and its value was much lower than it used to be. To prevent it from eroding even further, the sacred Autokrator decided what follows: firstly, to reinstate the hyperpyrron to its former glory by ensuring that it was made of pure gold in nine parts out of ten and greatly increasing its weight. Secondly, to introduce basilikon, a coin made not of gold or silver but of white gold, known by the scholars as electrum. This allowed to use hyperpyrron, now much more precious than ever, as an unit of currency in transactions of great value, while simultaneously introducing basilikon in its old place as a basic currency of the Imperium. And since the imperial coin was made from white gold – that is, alloy of gold, silver and copper – this allowed the Imperial Treasury to mint much more coins from the same amount of gold, further enriching the Imperium.

And so by the time when on 24th March 1474 sacred Autokrator honored his son and heir tot he Throne Belisarios Angelos with the most prestigious title of symbasileus, the Great Reform was completed.

3. MAPS OF THE IMPERIUM
[
xHQERUf.jpg

Last edited:
YES! Oh, I'm so happy. This looks great already, just because of all the measures you're taking so that everything runs smoothly. Even better, you've confirmed to continue into Victoria 2. As I haven't ever played EU4, I am hesitant to make a character. That said, this story might just convince me. Anyway, I'm really excited to see the groundwork being laid, and I can't wait to see what changes you're doing to make the world make sense, given tech and taxes.

Not sure I will bear to do this interactive stuff, never been fond of that. But I loved your CK2 AAR, so I'll at least sub and see how it goes.:)

Interesting. I'll have to start cooking up an application.

I wish I could sign up but I'm terrible at making histories/biographies! :sad:

Yay! Looks awesome.

A few questions, though:

Can we scheme against the emperor to place new empires on the throne, or even another fellow senator?

Can we form factions with fellow senators?

Does the Imperial High Council still exist and can PCs be promoted to it? If so, what are the powers of the imperial high Council? (For ex., would it be like being appointed to the cabinet in a V2 IAAR?)

Can our dynasties be promoted to dynatoi?

I'll send my application soon.

By the way, you should definitely try to make the AAR works with Art of War, even if that means to wait a little longer to make the converter work. The huge map changes alone are a good reason to wait.

Count me as another who'll be foregoing the interactive part. For one, I've never been able to stick very long with the few roleplays I've ever participated in, and certain responsibilities I have elsewhere on the Internet will undoubtedly be taking up a good portion of my time anyway (before we even factor real life into the equation!)

Nevertheless, I'll most definitely be cheering this AAR on from the sidelines, as I did for Part One :)

Yay! Looks awesome.

A few questions, though:

Can we scheme against the emperor to place new empires on the throne, or even another fellow senator?

Can we form factions with fellow senators?

Does the Imperial High Council still exist and can PCs be promoted to it? If so, what are the powers of the imperial high Council? (For ex., would it be like being appointed to the cabinet in a V2 IAAR?)

Can our dynasties be promoted to dynatoi?

Maybe we could have factions for each monarch point :
-The Administration faction, focusing on internal matters of the empire
-The Exploration faction, focusing on what is outside the empire (trade, diplomacy and of couse colonization)
-The Tagmata faction, focusing on the army and its use for the goals of the empire

Could be fun if the senators are giving a role as grand admiral, or domestikos, to have them on the battlefield :p
We roll the dice to know their stats, then one create an event to make them spawn to lead the mighty Rhomaion !

A great start! I'll try to be a senator, as it sounds interesting, but a few questions:
1. Do we need to think about a non-existing house, or do we need to find a real house? (if so, Kantakouzenos it is, if not, I'll have to do some research on Greek names :D)
2. If we can invent our own house, can we also invent positions and titles owned by past members of this house, or notable members? Will have to somehow fill the template :p
3. When off-character and not in senate meetings, can we continue the RP we did in the CK2 topic (Enlil the heretic, supporting Mongols and Xenoi etc)?