• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #108 - Sphere of Influence and 1.7 Overview

16_9.png

Hello and welcome to the first Development Diary for the 1.7 update and Sphere of Influence expansion for Victoria 3. This Dev Diary is meant to give you a broad overview of the major Expansion and update features, which we’ll naturally go over in much greater detail in the next few weeks. As mentioned previously, all of this is scheduled to release on May 6th and you can pre-order Sphere of Influence right now.

Power Blocs (Sphere of Influence)​

Power Blocs are multinational associations that can be formed by high-ranking countries, and which take a variety of forms based on their Identity and Principles. Power Bloc Identities are set when they are formed, while Principles can be added and removed over time. Power Blocs are highly customizable in other ways, such as choosing their name and customizing their emblem, as well as creating custom statues to reflect the glory and reach of your Bloc.

A Power Bloc might take the form of a single Great Power and countries under its influence, a multilateral military alliance between several Major/Great Powers, or an economic cooperation with numerous countries in a unified market.

Power Blocs have Leverage on countries outside the Bloc (including members of other Blocs) and can use that Leverage to entice and cajole them into the Power Bloc. Being part of a Power Bloc comes with both benefits and obligations, and members are at risk of having their internal politics meddled with by the leader of the Bloc.

Interest Group Lobbies (Sphere of Influence)​

In Sphere of Influence, Interest Groups can now join Lobbies with specific foreign policy agendas centered around other countries. These Lobbies form organically as the result of a new system of Diplomatic Catalysts: A lobby friendly to Great Britain might form after the signing of an alliance with them, while a lobby hostile to Austria might spring up after being defeated by them in a war, all depending on a variety of diplomatic and political conditions at the time the Catalyst occurred.

Lobbies will try to promote or counter the interests of foreign powers and will help or hinder your diplomatic efforts based on whether your goals align with their own. Lobbies that are friendly to a specific foreign power can smooth the way for diplomatic agreement that would otherwise not be possible, but will oppose hostile actions and undermine any war efforts against that power, while unfriendly lobbies will try to hinder diplomatic efforts with the country of their ire but may create an opportunity for a key alliance with their rival instead.

In addition to appearing as due to Diplomatic Catalysts, Political Lobbies can also form as a result of certain events, like Social Democrats feeling the need to prove their opposition to Communism
DD108_01.png

Foreign Investment (Sphere of Influence)​

Foreign Investment makes it possible for both governments and autonomous private investors to construct building levels in other countries and enjoy the profits generated. To construct in another country, you need to have certain diplomatic pacts in place, or otherwise be part of a Power Bloc that allows such construction. If you do not own Sphere of Influence you will still be able to do Foreign Investment in your subjects.

The Great Game (Sphere of Influence)​

The Great Game is a major new content addition adding a new Objective and new Journal Entries focused on the historical Great Game that played out between Russia and Britain in Central Asia. The Objective can be played as either Russia/Britain or one of the other involved powers such as Persia, and which country you select changes the conditions required to ‘win’ the Great Game. The new Objective ties directly into numerous new Journal Entries such as Persia’s ambition to restore its hegemony over Afghanistan, most of which will be present even if the Objective isn’t selected and so will also drive AI behavior in the region.

As one of the Afghanistani minors, your most immediate priority will be to reunify Afghanistan and either restore the Durrani Empire or create something new
DD108_02.png

Subject Interactions (Sphere of Influence)​

Subject Interactions are a new group of Diplomatic Actions that can be done either by an overlord against their subjects, or by a subject against their overlord. These include actions such as Increasing or Decreasing Autonomy, changing the level of payments owed by a subject, appointing a new ruler, or allowing them to manage their own market. Certain Subject Actions, such as Increasing Autonomy or Granting Market Independence, will be available even to those without Sphere of Influence.

Building Ownership Revision (Update 1.7)​

The mechanics for Building Ownership are completely revised in the 1.7 update so that the owners of a building no longer have to work in that building, or even live in the same state - London-based Capitalists can now own buildings all over the world, and buildings can be selectively nationalized or privatized and put up for sale to interested investors, with the available options being restricted by which economic system a country is operating under. Additionally, buildings can now potentially have a different owner for each of its levels.

Instead of hanging around on the farms doing what could (God forbid) be considered ‘working’, the Aristocrats of East Anglia now stay in their Manor Houses and enjoy the proper leisurely pursuits of a countryside gentleman or gentlewoman
DD108_03.png

Liberty Desire (Update 1.7)​

Update 1.7 adds Liberty Desire for Subjects that restricts both which actions they can take against their overlord and which actions an overlord is able to take against them. Liberty Desire is calculated on a variety of factors, such as how intertwined the subject’s economy is with their overlord, and can increase or decrease over time. AI subjects will have a number of new diplomatic strategies influenced by their liberty desire, such as pursuing independence or remaining a subject but seeking greater autonomy from their overlord.

Owing to a relatively high level of Liberty Desire, Cambodia is pursuing a strategy of increased autonomy and self-reliance, but will not seek full independence yet
DD108_04.png

This is of course by no means an exhaustive list of everything we’re adding in Sphere of Influence and 1.7! There are new companies, new flavor events, more historical characters, new clothing and changes to the map, to name just a few. Since there is a lot to talk about, we’ll be releasing weekly dev diaries for at least the next couple of months!

That’s all for today. Next week we begin the deep-dives into 1.7 and Sphere of Influence, on the topic of Power Blocs!

Below you can see the Upcoming Dev Diary Schedule, so mark the dates down for when we go over your topics of interest!

Date Topic
21st MarchPower Blocs
28th MarchForeign Investment & Building Ownership
4th AprilSubject Interactions
11th AprilLobbies and More on Power Blocs
18th AprilThe Great Game
25th AprilThe Art of Sphere of Influence
2nd MayChangelog 1.7

• 170Love
  • 100Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
bruh foreign investment is locked behind dlc? in a game about victorian era economics and soft power diplomacy? same with domestic politics having an effect on foreign policy? there is literally a mod that adds foreign investment on the workshop for free and does a pretty damn good job.
Technically not the entire feature "foreign investment" will be DLC-locked, but (only) investing outside subjects. I get that this is probably not enough to make you happy, but I think it still needs to be pointed out to avoid any confusion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is correct. Government-built becomes government-owned and can then be made available for privatization (or in the case of LF, *has* to be put up for privatization).
This is delightful to hear.
A very important question to close this topic: will private-built become private-owned by those who financed the construction? Or will capitalists continue to show remarkable class solidarity in this case?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Rather than nationalist/cultural movements being IGs themselves, there could be movements supported by IGs. For example most of the Nationalist movements in Central Europe and Balkans were backed by their intelligentsia and sometimes military, while in certain places it could also be devout and rural folk. It makes no sense that nationalism itself would be an IG when that's the case.
Why would Russian or Austrian intelligentsia support a minority's calls for autonomy though?

Reactions:
An impressive update! (The marketing plan is great because almost all updates of version 1.0 are cool to me XD)

I don't have much to say on mechanics. I can only raise my suggestion on things that I actually know and concern.

I thought that the Great Game would majorly use the mechanics of SOI but it appears to be some JEs only. Whether it's fine or not depends on the design, and if SOI could play a role in this, it would be perfect.

Hope that the Treaty of Chugucha could be involved in the Great Game. The players used to be Russia and Qing in the northern part of central asia where Qing, in 1757, annexed the Dzungar Khanate/Modern Sinkiang, which was supported by Russians. And, after the Treaty of Chugucha, Qing's sphere of influence got weaken and before that, British had come from India already.

And if there were contents for Kokand's invasion in Sikiang and the founding of Yettishar/"Seven Cities" Khanate, the range of Great Game could have Sinkiang and even Tibet involved. Yettishar was founded in 1867 in local anti-Qing rebellison and the invasion of Kokand, and supported by Russians and mainly British. Qing's army destory it in 1876 so it's about 9 yrs time that Qing didn't actually rule Sinkiang. Yettishar starts better with Uzbek or Kyrgrz primary culture because it was a islamic but not Uygur regime.

As a result of which, I think that Qing can be an original player, or a target in Great Game. At least it's of vital importance especially in north Central Asia.

Yettishar Khanate is a historical event so it won't get you more trouble than your foremer text of TIB_FLAVOR_TEXT :p as long as AI Qing could always retake there. And it's understandable to ignore this because of any political or sales reason. The workshop and mods would fullfill it.

Last edited:
Reactions:
or allowing them to manage their own market
It would be terrible when Britain starts a war and loses her connection with British Raj, and British Raj runs its own market instead while all British Indian minor vassals still have no access to London, or can not trade with British Raj

My vision of dynamic market: when there is a block or the wish of overlord, British Raj, Indian minors and Sri Lanka of GBR could share one same market. Or, it could be not dymanic but stratificated: market of British Raj is a sub-market of British market, just like the local market to nationwide market. When there is a block, sub-market still work, and just can't be affected by the higher market. For example:
- Rank I. British market
- Rank II. British Raj market, or British North Indian market
- Rank III. Sri Lanka local market

Rank II sub-market can form dynamically or based on a Strategic Region or many adjacent SRs, then Luxemberg and Prussian Wesphalia & Rhineland shall not be problems. It can also provide much potentiality like Russian-American Company or other mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions:
My main question is about the political and economic implications of foreign investment for the country being invested in:
  • Does it cause radicalism?
  • Does it increase support for movements that want to restrict foreign investment or nationalize foreign owned businesses?
  • Do local upper strata get to benefit in some way from foreign investment?
Ideally foreign investment should be a double edged sword for countries being invested in - faster economic growth makes everyone happy. But if things are politically unstable the presence of foreign investment should make things even worse because economic discontent is amplified by nationalism.

I am kind of wary that this mainly benefits employed pops because there are more jobs for them. Meanwhile local aristocrats and capitalists are cut out of the process. This kind of feels strange because opposition to foreign investment historically seems to have come more from lower and middle classes while upper classes often preferred cooperating with it.

This is correct. Government-built becomes government-owned and can then be made available for privatization (or in the case of LF, *has* to be put up for privatization).
This is huge - government-owned looks like it will become much more common for all nations, regardless of communism.

This raises the question though: it seems now there suddenly is a lot of revenue on the table for governments through privatization. Are building costs going to be adjusted to address this?

I would record a video on as much technology as I could if I can get away with it. Mike and I chat about all manner of weird things - I have a fun book on weird inventions, one of which was an Asbestos Hat or another being an automatic boiled egg opener.
I hope we will get a new event where an IG asks you to invest millions of pounds into inventing automatic egg openers or get angry with you.

Reactions:
Why would Russian or Austrian intelligentsia support a minority's calls for autonomy though?
Not all of them, and even not most of them. In V3, many bureaucrats are considered as Intelligentsia too. Seriously speaking I really don't want this ig considered aloof.

Honestly speaking, I'm wondering, it is what that the IGs are abstracted into.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The power blocs sound great, but are there examples of power blocs in the real world before the 1900s? I can't seem to think of any example.

Or are they restricted to the late game? That would honestly be sorta cool, as there isn't much difference between the mid and late-game.

Reactions:
"as well as creating custom statues to reflect the glory and reach of your Bloc."

Why?
Everything was looking good until we get to the statues. Can't wait for immersion-breaking 1870's version of NATO Statue #23. :eek:

More seriously, I agree with Oglesby, why do we need statues. I am thinking the Pops in charge of Paradox have an Obsession with Monuments which is starting to drive a Taboo with the forum users.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Foreign Investment (Sphere of Influence)
Foreign Investment makes it possible for both governments and autonomous private investors to construct building levels in other countries and enjoy the profits generated. To construct in another country, you need to have certain diplomatic pacts in place, or otherwise be part of a Power Bloc that allows such construction. If you do not own Sphere of Influence you will still be able to do Foreign Investment in your subjects.

I feel the need to immediately flag this from Victoria 2, almost as a reflex. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What happenes to these assets when a war happens with that country? Please bring in some sort of mechanic to get them back, be compensated for them, or both. Nationalisation of assets is historically a major issue and has formed a casus belli in the past. Compensation has often been part of these settlements.

• 2Love
Reactions:
Will banking be revamped? If we are bringing in proper ownership shares and methods of capital transfer, then the existing investment pool and credit pool need to be rethought, especially in the light of foreign investment and transnational transactions.
At the moment business savings are effectively dead money that can only be utilized via state expenditure, and investment pool grows really slowly, where there is effectively no opportunity to suplement that with external cash injections. Either a national bank needs to make a comeback, with all that it entails in form of interest rates charged and interest paid out to account holders or something that would approximate it better than the current iteration.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wonderful stuff, this definitely checks many boxes in my features wishlist! In my opinion the biggest game changer (among many) is the pop ownership update so I’m curious how this will impact 1836 colonial demographics? For example, in the game’s current state, French Canadians hold much, much more power and wealth in Canada than they did historically, and most of the property and wealth of the Hudson Bay Company should belong to British and urban Canadian private interests. Similar things can be said of most colonies in 1836.

I’m also curious what happens to foreign shares when a country’s assets are seized by another nation through peace deals/unifications/annexation? Will they ask for reparations when they’re confiscated or nationalized?

Very much looking forward to May :D

• 4Like
Reactions:
I wonder how Homesteading will work under the ownership changes, since farmers tend to live on the farms they own and aren't living the anime maid waifu VN aristocratic lifestyle in manor houses.

• 4Like
Reactions:
The power blocs sound great, but are there examples of power blocs in the real world before the 1900s?
I'm not sure if it's PDS's idea or not, but I remember that someone has said to make Deutscher Zollverein a power bloc in this forum.

Faction in HOI4 is a league of some powers, while I think that in V3, it's more like a power with some minors. But in this meaning, all Indian princes minors should be considered as members of a British bloc instead of British subjects.

Although, but, I'm kinda in chaos actually. PDS needs to design a new order among the new power bloc and all sorts of subjects.

Anyway, I don't think that it's not a good idea to enjoy a Kaiserreich game about half a century earlier in V3.:p And if new mechanic is good enough, forming a bloc called USSR by Soviet Russia by releasing those parts/indirect control should be very interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think with this Victoria 3 would be finally become really fun, I see blocs are sort of like the federation system from Stellaris... which I am all for! Really loved the previous updates, but foreign investments and spheres of influences were lacking along with some more diplomatic options.

Really looking forward to this! Also I noticed some new clothing options for Persia and I think Cambodia too?

• 1Like
Reactions: