• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #108 - Sphere of Influence and 1.7 Overview

16_9.png

Hello and welcome to the first Development Diary for the 1.7 update and Sphere of Influence expansion for Victoria 3. This Dev Diary is meant to give you a broad overview of the major Expansion and update features, which we’ll naturally go over in much greater detail in the next few weeks. As mentioned previously, all of this is scheduled to release on May 6th and you can pre-order Sphere of Influence right now.

Power Blocs (Sphere of Influence)​

Power Blocs are multinational associations that can be formed by high-ranking countries, and which take a variety of forms based on their Identity and Principles. Power Bloc Identities are set when they are formed, while Principles can be added and removed over time. Power Blocs are highly customizable in other ways, such as choosing their name and customizing their emblem, as well as creating custom statues to reflect the glory and reach of your Bloc.

A Power Bloc might take the form of a single Great Power and countries under its influence, a multilateral military alliance between several Major/Great Powers, or an economic cooperation with numerous countries in a unified market.

Power Blocs have Leverage on countries outside the Bloc (including members of other Blocs) and can use that Leverage to entice and cajole them into the Power Bloc. Being part of a Power Bloc comes with both benefits and obligations, and members are at risk of having their internal politics meddled with by the leader of the Bloc.

Interest Group Lobbies (Sphere of Influence)​

In Sphere of Influence, Interest Groups can now join Lobbies with specific foreign policy agendas centered around other countries. These Lobbies form organically as the result of a new system of Diplomatic Catalysts: A lobby friendly to Great Britain might form after the signing of an alliance with them, while a lobby hostile to Austria might spring up after being defeated by them in a war, all depending on a variety of diplomatic and political conditions at the time the Catalyst occurred.

Lobbies will try to promote or counter the interests of foreign powers and will help or hinder your diplomatic efforts based on whether your goals align with their own. Lobbies that are friendly to a specific foreign power can smooth the way for diplomatic agreement that would otherwise not be possible, but will oppose hostile actions and undermine any war efforts against that power, while unfriendly lobbies will try to hinder diplomatic efforts with the country of their ire but may create an opportunity for a key alliance with their rival instead.

In addition to appearing as due to Diplomatic Catalysts, Political Lobbies can also form as a result of certain events, like Social Democrats feeling the need to prove their opposition to Communism
DD108_01.png

Foreign Investment (Sphere of Influence)​

Foreign Investment makes it possible for both governments and autonomous private investors to construct building levels in other countries and enjoy the profits generated. To construct in another country, you need to have certain diplomatic pacts in place, or otherwise be part of a Power Bloc that allows such construction. If you do not own Sphere of Influence you will still be able to do Foreign Investment in your subjects.

The Great Game (Sphere of Influence)​

The Great Game is a major new content addition adding a new Objective and new Journal Entries focused on the historical Great Game that played out between Russia and Britain in Central Asia. The Objective can be played as either Russia/Britain or one of the other involved powers such as Persia, and which country you select changes the conditions required to ‘win’ the Great Game. The new Objective ties directly into numerous new Journal Entries such as Persia’s ambition to restore its hegemony over Afghanistan, most of which will be present even if the Objective isn’t selected and so will also drive AI behavior in the region.

As one of the Afghanistani minors, your most immediate priority will be to reunify Afghanistan and either restore the Durrani Empire or create something new
DD108_02.png

Subject Interactions (Sphere of Influence)​

Subject Interactions are a new group of Diplomatic Actions that can be done either by an overlord against their subjects, or by a subject against their overlord. These include actions such as Increasing or Decreasing Autonomy, changing the level of payments owed by a subject, appointing a new ruler, or allowing them to manage their own market. Certain Subject Actions, such as Increasing Autonomy or Granting Market Independence, will be available even to those without Sphere of Influence.

Building Ownership Revision (Update 1.7)​

The mechanics for Building Ownership are completely revised in the 1.7 update so that the owners of a building no longer have to work in that building, or even live in the same state - London-based Capitalists can now own buildings all over the world, and buildings can be selectively nationalized or privatized and put up for sale to interested investors, with the available options being restricted by which economic system a country is operating under. Additionally, buildings can now potentially have a different owner for each of its levels.

Instead of hanging around on the farms doing what could (God forbid) be considered ‘working’, the Aristocrats of East Anglia now stay in their Manor Houses and enjoy the proper leisurely pursuits of a countryside gentleman or gentlewoman
DD108_03.png

Liberty Desire (Update 1.7)​

Update 1.7 adds Liberty Desire for Subjects that restricts both which actions they can take against their overlord and which actions an overlord is able to take against them. Liberty Desire is calculated on a variety of factors, such as how intertwined the subject’s economy is with their overlord, and can increase or decrease over time. AI subjects will have a number of new diplomatic strategies influenced by their liberty desire, such as pursuing independence or remaining a subject but seeking greater autonomy from their overlord.

Owing to a relatively high level of Liberty Desire, Cambodia is pursuing a strategy of increased autonomy and self-reliance, but will not seek full independence yet
DD108_04.png

This is of course by no means an exhaustive list of everything we’re adding in Sphere of Influence and 1.7! There are new companies, new flavor events, more historical characters, new clothing and changes to the map, to name just a few. Since there is a lot to talk about, we’ll be releasing weekly dev diaries for at least the next couple of months!

That’s all for today. Next week we begin the deep-dives into 1.7 and Sphere of Influence, on the topic of Power Blocs!

Below you can see the Upcoming Dev Diary Schedule, so mark the dates down for when we go over your topics of interest!

Date Topic
21st MarchPower Blocs
28th MarchForeign Investment & Building Ownership
4th AprilSubject Interactions
11th AprilLobbies and More on Power Blocs
18th AprilThe Great Game
25th AprilThe Art of Sphere of Influence
2nd MayChangelog 1.7

• 170Love
  • 100Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This comment has been reserved by the community team for developer responses!

Do you expect the intended ships being treated as actual ships goal to be included in 1.7?
This is not going to be for 1.7 (as much as I am a big fan of ships myself)

When can we learn about what the Power Bloc monuments are and what they represent?
Aha, the handy schedule at the bottom of the post tells me it is coming next week!

We've had our Vic3 train dev diary. Is this code for "I will write a large dev diary about/ film a 15+ minutes youtube video on ships"?.
(My Robert K. Massie approves!)
I would record a video on as much technology as I could if I can get away with it. Mike and I chat about all manner of weird things - I have a fun book on weird inventions, one of which was an Asbestos Hat or another being an automatic boiled egg opener.

Good afternoon,a great DD and can't wait to see more for all of this.I'm extremely hyped mainly by the 1.7 update property ownership rework and the interest group lobbies.The interest group lobbies are something that was really missed in the game and I'm glad it will become part of it soon.However,i have a few questions:
1)How moddable lobbies will be,i.e can we define triggers for when they spawn,create new effects,things like this?
2)How moddable building ownership will be?Can we add them for modded building as well?
Thanks for any replies about this.
We'll get more into both these topics in subsequent DDs but at least lobbies will be very, very moddable. It will also definitely be possible to add new types of ownership buildings similar to Manor Houses/Financial Districts.

Looks really cool!

One question:

With lobbies tied to the SoI expansion, does that mean that without the expansion your pops will not have an opinion about your foreign policy?

I understand the need to tie certain features to the expansion (like the great game) but my fear is that such a interesting and unique feature as 'pops care about your foreign policy and might work against your world conquest'* would be orphaned because you cannot count on all players having access to it.

* written as someone who wrote his thesis on British public opinion on the Union and Confederacy during the American Civil war.
Lobbies will still form and have certain mechanical impacts without Sphere of Influence, but the content such as opportunities etc will be exclusive to the expansion.

Will it be possible to interact with foreign lobbies? ie, if I’m playing as France could I try to strengthen the pro French lobby in Belgium?
Yes. More on this later.

Can we use all of the Great Game content without using it as an objective?
Most of it. The JEs that are specific to completing the objective are obviously locked to the objective.

1. What happens to farms if I enact Homesteading? How ownership is being treated?
2. What happens to manors and financial centers if I switch to worker cooperatives or command economy?
3. Can I buy all buildings in the world, or at least half of them?
We will be doing a whole dev diary on the ownership rework where all these questions should hopefully be answered.

SO excited about the ownership rework!!

Will the initial ownership of a building level upon construction depend at all on who paid for the construction?

It always struck me as odd that the government pays all the construction (which, up until now at least, was the only real capital investment into the building) and then (depending on your laws) a bunch of private entities got the benefits of ownership. I know that's how real life works to some extent (i.e. if "construction costs" is an abstract representation of the public spending that enables business to happen in the first place, not to mention flat out government handouts for industry) but it just felt bad to see investment and ownership so divorced from each other in a game that is very much about the rise of capitalism as a global system.
This is correct. Government-built becomes government-owned and can then be made available for privatization (or in the case of LF, *has* to be put up for privatization).

Just to repeat what Wiz wrote earlier so people don't get false expectations from this thread :D
We will answer most of your questions in the upcoming Dev Diaries about their specific topics. In their threads we'll then also be able to provide more detail to follow-up questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Is there a limit to foreign investment? Could I, if I tried hard enough, effectively buy and own a majority stake in... everywhere?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Dev Diary Schedule is much appreciated.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Can a country be part of multiple power blocs with different identities? As you mentioned they can be a great power and countries under its influence, multilateral alliances or economic cooperations - these are not conceptually mutually exclusive for a country to be part of three power blocs, one of each type, right?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Foreign Investments sound very interesting!

2 situations come to mind almost immediately.

How will this work between masters and colonial puppets? I'm curious as to which system you'll use to represent British interests in the Raj. Is it the new Building Ownership mechanics (I'll call this the "Manor House" system, at least for now), or Foreign Investment?

Additionally, can Foreign Investment, or something similar be done with fully integrated colonial states? The issue of colonial empires allowing most of imperialism's profits to remain in periphery regions they are attempting to exploit is one that I feel somewhat undermines the game's representation of colonialism. Or is this completely overtaken by the "Manor House" system?

• 12Like
Reactions:
Good afternoon,a great DD and can't wait to see more for all of this.I'm extremely hyped mainly by the 1.7 update property ownership rework and the interest group lobbies.The interest group lobbies are something that was really missed in the game and I'm glad it will become part of it soon.However,i have a few questions:
1)How moddable lobbies will be,i.e can we define triggers for when they spawn,create new effects,things like this?
2)How moddable building ownership will be?Can we add them for modded building as well?
Thanks for any replies about this.

Reactions:
Looks neat! Will some existing subject relationships be changed to become Power blocs? Like the Zollverein

And will some national unification require being part of the same power bloc?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Sounds amazing. Regarding Foreign Investment:

- Whose construction sector will foreign investment use?

- Will there be ways to influence especially private investors to focus on domestic vs foreign projects?

- Will subjects be able to make use of their overlords' technology to increase their chances of discovering resources?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Ownership rework is unexpected but a welcome change! Hopefully we will see a more dynamic ownership shares so that we can simulate a hostile takeover from larger companies :p

• 1Love
Reactions:
Looks really cool!

One question:

With lobbies tied to the SoI expansion, does that mean that without the expansion your pops will not have an opinion about your foreign policy?

I understand the need to tie certain features to the expansion (like the great game) but my fear is that such a interesting and unique feature as 'pops care about your foreign policy and might work against your world conquest'* would be orphaned because you cannot count on all players having access to it.

* written as someone who wrote his thesis on British public opinion on the Union and Confederacy during the American Civil war.

• 5Like
Reactions: