• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #109 - Power Blocs

16_9.png

Hello and welcome to another Victoria 3 Dev Diary!
I’m Lino, a Game Design Lead on the project and today I will take you through one of the big features of the Sphere of Influence expansion: Power Blocs.

As Martin wrote last week, Power Blocs are multinational associations that are led by a Great or Major Power. They can take many different shapes, some of which I will showcase today. With your skills playing Victoria 3 (or rather: your skills picking Great Britain), you too should be able to lead one in no time, I’m sure!

Display of the most powerful members of a Power Bloc under Great Britain’s rule
DD109_01.png

But let’s get into the details, starting with some general aspects.

General​

With Power Blocs, we are providing new and different opportunities for you to take control of one of these powerful empires, to assemble and customize your own Bloc, shape its effects on members to your liking and guide its expansion and struggle with other Power Blocs for domination over the region.

A country can only be part of one Power Bloc at the same time. That does not mean that a country is locked into a Power Bloc forever though. There are ways for them to leave and join another Bloc, if the conditions align or even for a Power Bloc to be completely dismantled.

Great Powers will generally have an easier time leading a Power Bloc than Major Powers, due to their higher budget of Influence which is part of the upkeep cost for Power Blocs.
Additionally there is a Cohesion penalty being applied to Major Powers leading a Power Bloc to reflect that they don’t quite have the authority or respect of others.
This fact and some other things we’ll get into later, should make the fight for the top of the Prestige leaderboards more rewarding and fun.

There will be some Power Blocs established at game start already, e.g. the Zollverein and the British Empire. You can start playing as Great Britain and you will already have a Power Bloc ready to go if you desire to do so.
But also playing as a regular member of any Power Bloc will feel different than being outside of them. While there are good reasons why you may not want to join any Power Bloc, there is also potential for powerful effects and cooperation with other members of the same Bloc.

Some of the Power Blocs at game start
DD109_02.png

I hear you have managed to cut off Austria’s leash and were able to unite Italy. Very impressive. Now you are ready to create your own new Power Bloc. Let’s look at that process, which starts with the customization.

Customization​

When you form your Power Bloc, you can customize a few aesthetic things to make it look as pretty or crazy or as historic as possible - whatever floats your boat!
It starts with a name of course, I see you have called it “Venetian League”? Excellent choice.
It continues with the emblem. We’ve added a number of options for you to choose from to decorate your crest. For the color selection we have added support for a traditional color picker so that you have the full freedom to express yourself, be it pink, green or Prussian yellow blue.
You can also see that there is a selection for a Map pattern. This pattern will be displayed in the map modes that deal with Power Blocs and its color will be the same as your chosen primary color as you may have seen from the historic Power Blocs screenshot.

WIP Mockup of the Customization window for your emblem
DD109_03.png

In the next tab you can find the Statue customization window. Here you can shape the looks of the fantastic monuments which countries of your Power Bloc can build.
There’s a variety of pedestals, statues and accessories to choose from to demonstrate your Power Bloc’s might to the world.
Countries in a Power Bloc will be able to build them and profit from their effects, which can be something like Influence, Authority or similar effects, based on how you want to shape your Power Bloc. Of course the Game Rule for Monument effects will be expanded to include Statues if you desire to disable their effects, and build them just for their looks.

WIP Mockup for the customization window
DD109_04.png

One of the many majestic statues on the map
DD109_05.png

Another addition that will bring Power Blocs more into the 3D world is a set of new vehicles, depending on the style of your Bloc.
You will also find that parts of the clothing of country leaders in the Power Bloc will change. So for example you may see sabres, medals or sashes being worn by them.
Which accessories are going to be worn and which vehicle will drive on your roads are based on what Central Identity Pillar you pick for your Power Bloc. We will share more information on these assets in one of our upcoming Dev Diaries, dedicated to cosmetics - stay tuned!

This fancy cape could be worn by your country leader too
DD109_06.jpg

When you want to get from A to B while showing off
DD109_07.png

Speaking of Central Identity Pillars, let’s have a look at them to see what might interest you for the Venetian League.

Central Identity Pillar​

Power Blocs revolve around a central set of values. These can range from bringing as many subjects as possible into their “glorious” empire (looking at you Great Britain and Russia), to a Bloc whose leader is interested in spreading their own religion throughout the world.

Identity Pillars change a few aspects of your Power Bloc:
  • They provide a special ability to Power Bloc leaders, e.g. the Trade League Identity making everybody part of a customs union under the leader, or the Sovereign Empire letting the leader turn a member into a subject of theirs under certain conditions
  • They define some “rules” for your Bloc, e.g. how Cohesion is gained (which we’ll talk about later)
  • They can unlock groups of Principles which is what I’ll talk about next
  • They define the rate at which you get Principle Mandates, which allows you to enact these Principles

WIP Selection of Identities
DD109_08.png

When forming a Power Bloc, you will have to pick one of these Identities before moving on to the next step. Trade League it is? Great choice.

Principles​

Next up, you will have to choose your starting Principle. While Identities provide a central idea and a sort of rule set for your Power Bloc, Principles can provide more practical expressions of that.
Principles come in groups of three levels, generally providing different effects per level to all members of your Bloc. Some are beneficial for everybody, while others are particularly favoring you, their great leader.
The effects from Principles of higher tiers are always added to the lower ones. So if you have the tier 3 Principle of Defensive Cooperation unlocked, you also get the effects of tier 1 and 2.

WIP Selection screen, on release there are going to be more Principles to choose from
DD109_09.png

A WIP example of the three levels of the Defensive Cooperation Principle Group
DD109_10.png

DD109_11.png

DD109_12.png

Identities have one or more Primary Principle Groups which indicate a deeper connection to the Identity than most of the other Principle Groups.
You will be required to choose one of the Primary ones to form the Venetian League. Every additional Principle you pick at a later stage will grant a bonus to your Power Bloc’s Cohesion, which can be impactful. You can exchange it later on if you’d like, but you may have a very hard time doing so.

By having countries remain in your Bloc, you will unlock the potential to upgrade existing Principles or pick new ones with entirely different effects.
Each member of your Power Bloc contributes a number of points towards a Principle Mandate. The higher their rank, the higher their contribution.

DD109_13.png

Each Mandate allows you to either pick a new Tier 1 Principle if you have an open slot, upgrade one of your established Principles by one Tier, or switch a Principle of any Tier to a different Tier 1 Principle.

Principles Overview section
DD109_14.png

With the fancy customized look, the Central Identity Pillar and the first Principle picked, it is finally time to form the Venetian League.
Now all that’s left to do is send invitations. If at least one other country accepts, your very own Power Bloc is officially formed. Congratulations!

But how do you get other countries like the minors in the Austrian Bloc to join your Bloc and ensure they’re staying there so that you get more Principle Mandates?

Leverage​

That’s what Leverage is for. Raising your Leverage to overtake Austria might be a challenge, but it might also be worth it since you’re weakening their Bloc at the same time as strengthening your own.

There’s a couple of factors that contribute to Power Blocs building up Leverage on a country, such as:
  • At least one of the Power Bloc's members having an active interest in the country (a hard requirement for gaining Leverage)
  • Positive relations and certain other pacts like Alliance or Trade Agreement
  • Siding with target in Diplomatic Plays
  • Lobbies for or against your country
  • Economic dependence (which we’ll cover in more detail in a future Dev Diary, but which includes e.g. trade routes between the countries)

By default, Leverage will trend towards 0. So that means if you want to keep the Leverage you have on a country, say Switzerland, active or even increase it, you will need to engage with them in some form or another.

Keep in mind that conducting Diplomacy is harder for you, now that you’re part of a Power Bloc. Countries in other Power Blocs will feel intimidated and are less likely to agree to your proposals.
That would have been a good reason for you to stay neutral. Oh well, too late now!

There’s actually two values for Leverage. One that continuously builds up over time if you meet the requirements and another one, which is called Active Leverage that is the result of your own Leverage minus the next highest Bloc’s Leverage.
So for example, if you have built up 100 Leverage in Switzerland and the pesky Austrian Bloc has 80 Leverage on them, your active Leverage is only 20.

WIP Animation for Leverage map mode
DD109_15.gif

If you manage to get enough active Leverage, you can invite Switzerland to your Bloc. The active Leverage your Bloc has on them determines their likelihood of joining your Bloc if you ask them nicely. Their good friends came gladly after all.
But what if they decline? Well, you can always apply a slightly firmer grip if they need it and threaten war with them to force them into your Bloc. This will cause an amount of Infamy though, depending on how much Active Leverage you have on them.

Even after integrating Switzerland into your Bloc, Leverage needs to be kept up. Otherwise it opens the door to another Power Bloc doing the same as you have done and convincing them to leave your Bloc and join theirs instead.

It looks like you have learned how to get more countries into your Bloc. It is prospering and growing it seems. But I feel you may have forgotten about something you had better keep in mind.

Cohesion​

Cohesion is the measurement of how well the countries in your Power Bloc fit together. More than anything else it looks at the Identity to determine the target value which it will then trend towards.

There are some other things in the game that can generate or drain Cohesion though, e.g Principles providing a benefit or reducing it, actions that leaders or members can take, events etc.

Similarly to Legitimacy, the Cohesion value will be in one of five brackets, each having different effects on your Power Bloc. They are mostly around the gain of Leverage on members of your Bloc, but can even halt the progress of Principle Mandate generation.

WIP display of the Cohesion bar
DD109_16.png

Now the main problem that you are facing, is that Leverage gain on members in your own Bloc is affected by Cohesion which makes it harder to keep them around.

Most countries that you add to your Bloc will also reduce your Cohesion. The more countries you have, the higher the speed of unlocking the next Principle Mandate, but the more difficult it will also be to keep control over your member countries, potentially leading to them being pulled into a competing Power Bloc.

Kicking a less powerful member out might be worth it in order to restore balance. Similarly helpful could be picking a more generous Principle as your next one.

When you have found a way to stabilize your Bloc to comfortable levels, you should look for the next potential target to acquire.
Finding the balance between how many countries you can support to keep under your reign and where you invest your diplomatic resources is going to be key if you are leading a Power Bloc.
Maybe you should stick to Bavaria and Denmark as your next targets, on the other hand the contributions of a Great Power like France would bring might be worth it…

Power Struggle​

So you managed to get France to join your Venetian League? Congratulations!
I’d like to point your attention towards France’s Prestige. Since it is more than 20% higher than yours, they have automatically initiated a Power Struggle. If they succeed in keeping that score up for a full year, they will assume leadership of the Venetian League, demoting you to a regular member. France might even want to rename your Power Bloc afterwards. Mon Dieu!

Let’s hope Power Blocs find a better end under your leadership once Sphere of Influence releases in May.

When that happens, note that there is going to be a core version of Power Blocs that is going to launch with the free update for all players, even if you didn’t purchase Sphere of Influence.
The free version allows you to pick the Trade League Identity, making it possible to recreate shared markets, whose functionality we’ve moved from a diplomatic pact into the Power Bloc feature. It also replicates the Sphering mechanics from Victoria 2 in a more natural way than subjugation or negotiating for Customs Union pacts, though of course Power Blocs take this even further with more mechanics and depth.
Part of the expansion for Power Blocs is all customization and the vast majority of advanced mechanics and effects like the other Central Identity Pillars, Principles and Statues.

That’s it for today. Next week, I’m going to tell you more about the changes to Building Ownership and what that enables you to do - Foreign Investment!

Overview for all upcoming Dev Diaries:
Date Topic
28th MarchForeign Investment & Building Ownership
4th AprilSubject Interactions
11th AprilLobbies and More on Power Blocs
18th AprilThe Great Game
25th AprilThe Art of Sphere of Influence
2nd MayChangelog 1.7

• 136Like
  • 73Love
Reactions:
This comment has been reserved by the community team for developer responses!

Are religions an important factor for being able to establish and maintain Power Blocs? For example can we pursue Pan-Islamic policies of Abdulhamid II of Ottoman Empire which had considerable sway and support in India and Southeast Asia?

Religion right now feels quite unimportant in the game but religious movements in many parts of the world were competing with national movements, so it would be nice to see this represented through power blocs perhaps.
We're not making drastic changes to the importance of religions with SoI.
The one thing we're adding is a religious Central Identity Pillar for Power Blocs whose Cohesion is going to be affected by it.
We would like to make a more dedicated release at some point in the (far) future to flesh out religions properly.

If Power Blocs are DLC only, how will non-DLC games start? Will there still be Power Blocs but players will be unable to create them?
As written in the DD:
"The free version allows you to pick the Trade League Identity, making it possible to recreate shared markets, whose functionality we’ve moved from a diplomatic pact into the Power Bloc feature."
So you can create Power Blocs, but you are going to be limited to the Trade League Identity and we're also limiting which Principles are available to free players. The vast majority is going to be locked behind the DLC.
The Power Blocs at game start will also be around and you can play as these countries, giving you access to the established Identities and Principles that you wouldn't otherwise have access to.

Do the different ideologies of a certain country weaken cohesion?
For example, would an absolute monarchy in the commintern weaken cohesion?

Edit: Does cultural and religious similarity also influence leverage? If I manage to turn Mexico into a great power, will I have more leverage over the Spanish-speaking countries in South America than Great Britain?
There's one Central Identity that cares about making the laws of members as similar as possible, which affects Cohesion in turn.

Can I be member of just one power Block? Should I interpret powerblocks as informal/formal empire, or could something like league of nations/concert of europe be a power block?

Edit: also the map art of power blocks is mesmerising
You can only be member of one Power Bloc at a time.
It's mostly a strong leader dictating a Power Bloc's agenda, but many Identities and Principles are purely beneficial for everybody, so there's a way to play both.

And I agree, our artists are amazing!

Victorian NATO let's GOOOOOOO

I adore almost everything about the Power Blocs that I have seen so far. The UI might need an extra touch-up since it still looks a bit rough/messy to me compared to how slick most everything else is in the game, but that's something I can overlook. Still not wholly sold on the Statues/Monuments however, the line about them granting Influence/Authority leaves me sour, personally.

The Mosque in West Africa (now that its literacy bonus is only local to the state its in) would work well as a 'Statue' / Monument compared to something that just slaps on more Authority or Influence or something else. I feel Influence will be one of the more important picks for someone playing with Power Blocs just because it is now a resource that is more in demand (Which I love, but granting it through statues makes me raise an eyebrow over the give and take of it and the mechanic of statues)

We understand there's some concerns around the effects.
I'd encourage everyone to either try it out and see if they are okay with it or activate the game rule which disables the effects.
You do NOT need to play with the effects enabled to have a good time in the game, we're not balancing the game around having x statues that provide influence to you.

I was honestly hoping you'd be able to be part of multiple power blocs as long as they were of different types. So Great Britain could be part of the British Empire which is a Sovereign Empire bloc but also later on part of the Triple Entente which would be a Defensive Military Organization bloc. As it stands now Britain would have to ditch the British Empire for the Triple Entente or turn the British Empire into the Triple Entente somehow. A bit disappointing to be sure.

Also I want to ask how strict the Principles are going to be based on the Identity of your Power Bloc. It feels weird if you have one that's meant for defense and start adding all these economic principles to it, will there be some sort of limit to how many other types of Principles you can add? The Principles should be mostly focused around the Identity of the Power Bloc, if it's an economic bloc you should have mostly economic principles, if it's military bloc you should have mostly military principles, etc. Or is that something that will impact Cohesion so that if you add too many Principles that aren't reflective of the Power Bloc's Identity it will tank its Cohesion and cause it to break apart?
We don't want to limit player expression too much by enforcing you to play only the military/defensive ones if that's your Identity.
So that's why we've added the Primary Principle Groups which forces you to pick at least one (that's 25% of your slots after all) and then reward you with additional Cohesion for each additional point you spend in these groups.
That is something we can tweak according to player feedback of course if it's really not working, but I believe at this point that the compromise we've landed on works fairly well.

(WIP for these too, the very bright pink helps indicating this! )

1711035656890.png

1711035663716.png

Will alliances of Power Bloc leaders extend to whole of Power Bloc?

For example, can there be an "Entente" of Great Britain, France and Russia while all three lead their own "Sovereign Empire" Power Bloc? Which can be opposed to a "Central Power" as a "Cooperative Military Organization" Power Bloc lead by Germany?
There's only an "enforced" alliance between Power Bloc members if the according Principle has been picked.
If GB, France and Russia all have an alliance with each other (if their Power Blocs allow that) but are leading separate Blocs, then that is fine. But there's no "this alliance declares war on that Bloc" interaction (at least for now).

Does this mean that getting active interests is going to be much harder in Sphere of Influence? Right now it's pretty easy with just having a decent navy and you don't have much of a reason to have more than three interests.
No, we're not making major changes to Interests that I'm aware of.
What was meant by "hard requirement" is maybe a bit too much of a designer speak for "You need to have this in order to do anything". So without an interest, you will not gain Leverage.

Thank you, very interesting dev diary and can't wait to see power blocs in action with the release of SoF. A few quick questions:

- Do statues require working employees to get their benefits?
Not as of right now. Would be easy to change. I'll investigate if it's something we'd like to do.

- If you leave a power bloc after building a statue, what happens with the statue?
It will be removed (torn down).

- One you have created a power block and chosen an identity, can this identity be changed in the future?
No, for now we're not allowing Identity changes. We have talked about making this possible for when you have a leader change for example, but it does come with all kinds of consequences that would be tricky to solve. Maybe in the future, probably not.

- Are all principles available to all identities?
No, some Principle groups and/or individual Principles are going to be locked for some Identities.

- Do members of a bloc other than the leader have ways to increase the cohesion of a bloc, and if so, is the AI more likely to do that if they have good relations with the leader?
Depending on the Identity, there are ways, e.g. getting your laws closer to the leader. Potentially making this more likely based on relations sounds like a good idea. I'm taking a note for it.

How will the AI name power blocks that didn‘t exist in 1836? Will there be historical presets or randomized, ahistorical names?
There's a list of pre-defined ahistorical names, based on certain conditions, e.g. which coutry is forming the Bloc. which Identity are they picking etc.

Does liberating a country build up a certain amount of Leverage in them? I want to be able to say break the Ottoman's hold on the Balkans by liberating Bulgaria and then be able to use that action to help push it into my Power Bloc so I can exert greater influence over them.
Yes, that's what we intend to do. Generally, being on the same side in a Diplomatic Play should grant Leverage, and so should Liberating.

Some people like pretty things, and the art team need their jobs...

I like that so far the benefits of power blocs which have been shown are related to changing the relationship between bloc members in a certain way rather than just lavishing bonus modifiers everywhere (for example, the defensive alliances shown could have very easily been conceived as increasing army morale in a defensive war with a fellow member). Hopefully this theme will continue, and we won't be compelled to make XYZ kind of power bloc purely because of a desire to stack bonuses.
Yeah, generally we all agree here.
I must say though that creating these "special rules" effects is significantly harder to do. Essentially, we're doing about 50 mini-features for Power Blocs Principles right now.
So some Principles are going to provide more simple effects, like let's say +20% trade route competitiveness since we don't have an unlimited budget to provide unique effects for every single Principle.
I feel like we have struck a fairly good balance so far. Every Principle group should have at least one very cool/unique effect, some have more.
Without saying too much, some of these are kind of game-rule breaking (looking at you Migration focussed Principle).

What combination of power bloc type, statue effects and principles I need for successful power bloc world conquest?
You will need to try it out yourself!

Do you have to be recognized to create a power bloc? Would China be able to create a power bloc, or could you make a world where an unrecognized Siam leads a power bloc for maintaining independence from Europe?

It sounds like this makes power blocs naturally more hostile to one another. Does this make it less likely for e.g. France and Britain to become friendly over time?
Yes, you need to be recognized.

Being part of a Power Bloc will make Diplomacy harder with members of other Power Blocs, yes, but not impossible by any means.

Oh don't get me wrong, I will definitely try them out and see how they feel.

I'm just a particularly prickly/salty bastard that likes playing with Monument effects being on but there are some monuments (Like the Mosque pre-nerf where it was Global or the Monument in Beijing) that push me towards turning the effects off, which I feel is a missed opportunity. Now of course, if they end up being eh it's possible to mod them into something else and most likely will be modded, but that's more of a band-aid fix if the design turns out to actually be problematic.

I may come off as harsh in my wording without realizing it and I apologize for that, isn't the actual intention and I don't mean offense with it, I'm mostly putting it out there just to the perspective itself is out in the open for you folks to get a finger on the pulse of how some subsects of the consumer base feels about the presentation of the mechanics so far and how visible said subsect actually is.

I appreciate the work y'all have done so far and like I said, I pretty much adore everything in this and the previous DD.

All good, your feedback wasn't seen as harmful in any way. Has to be one of the nicest posts I've read about the topic :D

If you choose one of the non-trade league identities, does that mean you’re locked out of having a customs Union with bloc members?
No, there is a Principle Group that allows you to have the same effect which is likely going to be locked for the Trade League (since they have the powerful bonus already inherently).

Are block members considered subjects? If a german country joins the french bloc do they get rhine confederationed?
No, Bloc members are not considered subjects.

Hi, what about companies. What changes did you introduce? and can we at last send electricity to another state?
No major changes coming to Companies with SoI. Also none for electricity.
I will explain some plans that we have with regards to Companies in next week's Dev Diary since it's way more related to that topic.

Looks neat! A bit sad that a country can only be part of one PB at the same time, but that's alright, I guess it would have been quite weird and have introduced a lot of headaches

A few questions:
* What are the (current) existing power blocs at the start of the game?
Currently in the game start setup which is subject to change:
- Zollverein (Prussia)
- British Empire (GB)
- Congress System (Austria)
- Imperial Russia (Russia)
- Devlet-i ' Aliye (Ottoman Empire)
- Venetian League (You! :heart_eyes: just kidding)
* What happens if no country in the PB is a major power/great power? Does it dissolve? Or if everyone except the current leader leave?
It should get "frozen", preventing some interactions like inviting or adding new Principles etc. and likely falling apart over time, but allowing somebody to step up.
* Can a country willingly relinquish their role as leader, and dissolve the PB/let someone else take their role?
Yes, a leader can leave their Power Bloc, which will then grant leadership to the country with the next highest Prestige.
* Can two countries that are part of the same PB be at war with one another? Either directly or indirectly (joining the opposite sides of a diplo play)
Yes, two members can be at war with each other unless a Principle forbids that.
* Is joining a PB part of the diplo play (reverse-)sways available?
Yes.

Will there be any flavor text for the starting power blocs? Some people may get their kicks from custom statues and vehicles, but I’m more of a historical trivia kinda guy.
We don't have any right now. But I've taken a note to investigate the possibility.

How is the Italian and German unification tweaked with the new version?

Is it more difficult ?
There are no major mechanical changes being introduced to the unifications.
I haven't tried myself yet if it's harder or easier now.

A small suggestion - maybe the principle levels can each have different names? For example Defensive Cooperation I could be "Mutual Non-aggression", Defensive Cooperation II could be "Strategic Cohesion", and Defensive Cooperation III could be "Offensive Alliance"
We technically already have the option to, but left it out for simplicity's sake. We will not be able to create custom icons for each of the levels too for example, which one might expect.
Maybe we'll adress it in the future. Can't promise it right now though.
Also is there any plan to emulate great power military blocks in a way that doesn't conflict with the power bloc system? Because after this DD it seems quite clear that power blocs are much more akin to a more mechanically fleshed out "sphere of influence", so having multiple great powers be part of the same power bloc forces the weaker ones to cede their own spheres to the largest power, which is a deal no GP should take.
No concrete plans for now.
As I mentioned in another reply, military alliances between GPs continue to work, even if they both have their own Bloc.

Really great changes all around. It seems like this captures what was great about Vic 2's spheres while getting rid of the tedious bits, and will make the diplomatic game much more enjoyable.

I have a question about modability for this feature. From the DD, I get the impression that only recognized countries (Major or Great Power rank) can establish power blocs, but I'm interested in modding in some historical "spheres of influence" among unrecognized countries. Are we able to mod the eligibility requirements for starting power blocs? Are we able to mod in a starting power bloc for a country which wouldn't be able to create one normally?
You will be able to mod the conditions for forming a Power Bloc and make it possible for unrecognized.
On the starting Blocs, and everything with Identities and Principles, I'm going to have a conversation with the directors and then I'll make another reply in here to get back with some more details on what's moddable.

Do foreign lobbies help increase leverage?
Yes, they should :)

View attachment 1099178
Will there be a setting to show the power bloc without the map pattern? Like the setting for the flag occupation.
Not currently implemented, but I just took a note to bring it up and see if we would like to do that.

Are subjects automatically part of the power bloc? Do they impact cohesion in any way?
Can we pull other nations subjects from their overlord's power bloc? Can we push them to declare independence?
Do we have ways of influencing the laws in other members in order to increase cohesion? What about regime change?
Yes, as mentioned elsewhere, subjects are always following their overlord into a Power Bloc.
They affect Cohesion like every other country pretty much.
You cannot pull a subject without removing the subject relationship. So if you make them your subject, then yes, they will automatically join you.
With some of the Principles you will have the possibility to change certain laws, yes.

I remember from the earlier screenshots that there was a "Resolutions" button at the bottom of the interface? Is that still there (and what does it do?) or has that been WIP'd out?

Also, so just for clarification, this will mean that the "Invite to Customs Union" diplomatic action is removed?
Resolutions have been renamed to Mandates during development so they reflect better what they are.

Yes, Invite to Customs Union is no more.

So if two GPs with their own blocs go to war with a third party, they can drag everyone in their respective blocs to join in so long as the principles “force” the members to do so?
Yup, that's the intention.

ok, i'm gonna attempt a jedi mind trick:

unification mechanics will function as a mini power block (with no great/major power requirement, instead % of radicals or something) for DLC owners. long-held principles will affect the results of the unification.
What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Victoria 3 developer. Mind tricks don't-a work on-a me.

Might change “Congress System” to “Metternicht System” which believe is the term generally used to describe Austrias policy towards its sphere of influence at this time.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I've brought it up and it seems to be agreed to.
Will see that reflected in the release version then :)

I'm finding the naming a bit confusing. So, if I understand it right :

- A Power Bloc is defined by its Central Identity. This Central Identity has effects on its own, and define which Principles you can add to your Power Bloc

- The Principles are kind of "perks" (in a RPG meaning) which gives either bonuses to members (or just the leader), or simply affect the way diplo works between members of a Power Bloc

- Depending of the Identity chosen, some Principle will be considered "Primary", which makes them provide a Cohesion bonus in addition to the rest of the effects

- Cohesion impacts mostly your ability to influence (and keep) the countries in your Power Bloc

- The more countries in your Power Bloc, the faster you gets Mandates, which are Principle upgrades/unlock

- If you are not the most prestigious of the PB, you can loose the leader role

I find it rather nice, even if I'm worried about the balance implications of Monuments being available more or less everywhere. The graphic side is also rather intriguing!

You got it all right :)

Nice, this will be very useful for a modern-day-type mod (EU Single Market etc.) especially for compatibility with non-DLC owners.
Even if I can't yet get confirmation as to whether foreign investment will be applicable to junior partners of custom unions, this free feature all-but guarantees a more consistent way to diplomatically rather than militarily keep nations in my customs union as a non-GP.
No, Foreign Investment is not allowed in "customs union" juniors.
I'll talk more about Foreign Investment in next week's Dev Diary btw.

Is there a plan in the future to have overlapping organizations, or perhaps something separate for more global organizations? While the current power bloc system could accurately create the Allies and the Central Powers, it can't create the 'international world orders' that overlapped power blocs like the less-than-formal Congress of Vienna or the League of Nations. Additionally, just in the examples given, assumedly the British would have to leave the British Empire power bloc to join an Allies power bloc?
No concrete plans as of right now (let's ship this expansion first and then take a moment to breathe :D). But it's certainly thinkable, yes.

If I create a Political Union, are members in my market?

Its sounds to me like if you not choose trade union - you don't have a shared market. It would be nice to still merge with the bloc leaders market if wanted.
Members of a Political Union Power Bloc are not part of the same market by default.
There is another Principle which allows you to create the same effect though, even as a Political Union.

Would it be possible to implement a Monroe Doctrine-like system through Power Blocs? (Perhaps even present at game start)
Depending on whom you ask you will get very different answers.
Some would say "No, the Monroe Doctrine had certain agendas/ways of working/... that is impossible to be reflected by this system."
Some would say "Not 100%, but yeah, you can get all the Americas into one Power Bloc under the rule of the U.S. and pick Identity and Principles that fit it the best."
I'd say it comes down to how much you're willing to accept to roleplay this particular type of Power Bloc.

If possible could this be left in for modding purposes regardless of if it gets into the game? Maybe I'm pushing the idea of modern-day scenarios too much but it would simulate stuff like the EU bureaucracy required for statutes etc. to be actualised in day-to-day affairs.
In both cases it would be a PM, so you should be able to mod this.

Several questions if you do not mind:

1) Can the members oppose a new principle to be added to the power block after they have joined: everyone will not be happy with a new principle forcing you to join diplomatic plays

2) How does one quit a power block? Is it a diplomatic play, or can it be voluntary?

3) Can members other than the leader petition for one or another principle to be added (kind of like Stellaris Senate in that regards), or if the initiative only for the leader

4) Can the leader expulse at will any member of the power block?

5) Are shared market a thing outside of the trade league power block? How does it work?

1 and 3) No, there's no mechanics for this on release. We have talked about it and would like to see something like a ratification or maybe even different democratic systems to work under for Power Blocs. But I must stress there are no concrete plans to add that as it would involve a lot of extra work. The ratification would be the most likely to be added afterwards, but even that is not a guarantee.

2) You can leave if Leverage on you is low enough basically.

4) Yep, with a cooldown, but generally yes.

5) As mentioned in other replies, there is another Principle Group that allows you to get the same shared market effect. So as a Political Union Identity Power Bloc you can still unify the market under your rule for example.

What happened in the Baltics? I see a new country under Russian sovereignty, right?
:eyes_emoji:

That picture with Mexico in the British bloc, aknowledging the Mexico meta is to befriend Britain so they help you smack down the USA?
That's just due to the nature of WIP screenshots I'm afraid :D

Depending on what AI France does - since it does not have any power block, this would be my go to market in single player I think.

A little bit worried of the Austrian power block that spans over Italy: we need an Italy that is hostile to Austria at some point, and the game is already struggling with this in my opinion.
Well that's the thing, you'd need to become a french subject to join their market :D

While it's going in the right direction that we intend, the images of Power Bloc conditions at game start are WIP and subject to change. I also suspect we'll take away some Italy chunks from Austria, but we'll see.

Does the reverse happen though? Can a non-political union get a principle that allows it to sway other members towards the leading country's laws?
Yes, to a certain degree. Of course the political union will be "better" at it.

Wait, will the Russian Empire have its bloc at the start? It's green on the screen, but it's not clear since it don't have a name on it
Yes, it will have a Power Bloc at game start.
After all, it's one of the participants in the Great Game (which we'll talk about more at a later date) :p

One quick way to kinda correct this based on what i've understood would be to tank cohesion / leverage on countries if you pass really powerful mandates (such as joining automatically diplo play of the leader).

Either in vanilla or by modding.

-> But i'm guessing a lot here, we'll see when the end product arrives.

And yes I agree with Fluffay, don't feel obligated to answer us this late, we can wait until tomorrow ! :)
We're already applying some of this (Cohesion cost) and would certainly like to do more interaction in the future.
Yes, we're focussing the feature on the Power Bloc leaders a lot more than on the members. Everything else takes significantly more time to get right. But we're open to expand upon some aspects of it like a ratification system as I mentioned.
As I mentioned in another reply, I'll come back with more info on modding after I've had a chat with folks about it, probably tomorrow.
Thanks for your concern, I'm almost out of the office now :D

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hype

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Are religions an important factor for being able to establish and maintain Power Blocs? For example can we pursue Pan-Islamic policies of Abdulhamid II of Ottoman Empire which had considerable sway and support in India and Southeast Asia?

Religion right now feels quite unimportant in the game but religious movements in many parts of the world were competing with national movements, so it would be nice to see this represented through power blocs perhaps.

• 28Like
Reactions:
If Power Blocs are DLC only, how will non-DLC games start? Will there still be Power Blocs but players will be unable to create them?

EDIT: Definitely didn't see this paragraph when I first posted this.
When that happens, note that there is going to be a core version of Power Blocs that is going to launch with the free update for all players, even if you didn’t purchase Sphere of Influence.
The free version allows you to pick the Trade League Identity, making it possible to recreate shared markets, whose functionality we’ve moved from a diplomatic pact into the Power Bloc feature. It also replicates the Sphering mechanics from Victoria 2 in a more natural way than subjugation or negotiating for Customs Union pacts, though of course Power Blocs take this even further with more mechanics and depth.
Part of the expansion for Power Blocs is all customization and the vast majority of advanced mechanics and effects like the other Central Identity Pillars, Principles and Statues.

Last edited:
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
These powerblocks look much alike federations in stellaris.

I do not like scores and numbers to grind power blocks levels, feels artificial.

I’d very much liked players being able to play with members behaviour (AI strategies) to decide if they are in or out of the block. Thus, personality of the members influence the block actions, defining the block not the other way round.

Last edited:
  • 36Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
So statue is more of visual representation of your power bloc - rest of headquarters is abstracted away.

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I feel like this is what was needed since the beggining. Glad to see this being implemented. I agree with another comment, how will religion come into play? Right now it's basically just used in laws and accepted cultures, but I wonder how religion, political identity, regimes and laws can work. Also ethnic group blocs would be interesting. Either way, I am very hyped about this DLC and 1.7 as a whole.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Do the different ideologies of a certain country weaken cohesion?
For example, would an absolute monarchy in the commintern weaken cohesion?

Edit: Does cultural and religious similarity also influence leverage? If I manage to turn Mexico into a great power, will I have more leverage over the Spanish-speaking countries in South America than Great Britain?

Last edited:
  • 15Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Can I be member of just one power Block? Should I interpret powerblocks as informal/formal empire, or could something like league of nations/concert of europe be a power block?

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Fantastic work! I wonder if countries besides great and major powers or even unrecognized countries are allowed to form blocs or lead a bloc from the beginning, like Qing Empire, as Korea and Vietnam were in a unique system with Qing Empire which can hardly be simplified as under protection.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:

I feel like it will depend on the entity of the power block. Something like "Sovereign Empire" or "Political Union" would be more of a "empire" type of thing, but something like a "Trade League" should keep the countries independant. At least that's what I understood.
1711034485163.png

• 6Like
Reactions:
Victorian NATO let's GOOOOOOO

I adore almost everything about the Power Blocs that I have seen so far. The UI might need an extra touch-up since it still looks a bit rough/messy to me compared to how slick most everything else is in the game, but that's something I can overlook. Still not wholly sold on the Statues/Monuments however, the line about them granting Influence/Authority leaves me sour, personally.

The Mosque in West Africa (now that its literacy bonus is only local to the state its in) would work well as a 'Statue' / Monument compared to something that just slaps on more Authority or Influence or something else. I feel Influence will be one of the more important picks for someone playing with Power Blocs just because it is now a resource that is more in demand (Which I love, but granting it through statues makes me raise an eyebrow over the give and take of it and the mechanic of statues)

• 7Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Would it be possible to change the naming conventions for ruling monarchs, for instance, instead of William of Hannover, have him be called William IV. A way to keep track of regnal numbers like in CK3 and EU4.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
My brain is pretty insistent on "The League of Extraordinary Nation(s)"

• 7Haha
  • 3Love
Reactions: