Sphere of Influence available to pre-order and Free Train Bonus Pack release!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDX_Pelly

Community Manager Victoria 3
Paradox Staff
May 17, 2023
Hello Victorians!

Today is not only free Update ‘Blackcurrant’ 1.6!

We also have an update about the Expansion Pack, Sphere of Influence, and a surprise free pack for all players!

First up, the free Trains Bonus Pack! Choo Choo!

The power and potential of steam transportation is brought to new life for Victoria 3 in Trains Bonus Pack.

In this bonus pack, free for download for all Victoria 3 owners, players will see new models of classic train engines from the dawn of rail transport to the years of the iron horse, when the expansion of railways across continents signaled a new age and a smaller world.

This free pack includes a total of ten new 3D models of train engines traveling across the game map.

Five Experimental Trains:
  • The Planet (Great Britain)
  • John Bull (America)
  • Saxonia (Germany)
  • Cherepanov (Russia)
  • Le Continent (France)

Five Engines from the mid-century:
  • GNR Stirling Great Britain)
  • Jupiter (America)
  • Südbahn Class 23 (Germany/Austria)
  • Class G (Russia)
  • 120 Ouest (France)

The appropriate train models will appear both in their country of origin and in other countries with relevant ties to them, such as subject nations.

We also have resident train expert Mike, talking about why we picked these trains. For only a brief 11 minutes!

Eagle eyed viewers may have noticed one of these in motion at the end of the 1.6 Update video.

To see these trains in-game, make sure to go to the Steam page and activate the pack!

Now for news about Sphere of Influence!

Releasing on the 6th of May 2024, Sphere of Influence is now available to pre-order or if you are looking for the best deal possible? Check out our Expansion Pass, including Sphere of Influence! Alongside this, we have more information about the Expansion below.

SphereOfInfluence_Keyart.jpg

Put your diplomatic skill to the ultimate test in Sphere of Influence, a new expansion to Victoria 3. Pull other nations into your orbit through diplomatic skill, economic leverage or straightforward bribery. Build a durable international faction of like-minded governments, pursuing goals for a common good or the glory of your power.

Paradox Interactive’s grand strategy simulation of the Victorian Age offers new ways to impose your will on the world. A coalition of reactionary powers can form blocs to work against the threat of liberal forces in other nations. Use your economic might to co-opt or coerce other regimes, spreading the banner of your ideology wherever your fleets might sail. Resist or embrace domestic pressure to change your traditional foreign policy, as your interest groups organize into lobbies that push you to build new coalitions of power.

Sphere of Influence adds many new actions and systems to illustrate the quick moving nature of diplomatic relations in this dramatic era, including new content specifically about The Great Game - the decades long competition between the British and Russian Empires for pre-eminence in North India and Central Asia.

Features of Victoria 3: Sphere of Influence include:

• Fierce Competition: Use your Prestige to become a Great Power and create your own Power Bloc! Dominate other nations in a diplomatic arrangement to pursue common economic or ideological goals, whether promoting open trade around the world or spreading specific values to other nations.
  • Power Bloc Customization: Choose the identity and principles of your loose alliance, whether it be a group promoting ideological concerns like the Comintern, or an economy-oriented bloc pushing for cross-border market integration like the Zollverein. You can even customize colors and emblems for your bloc!
  • “The Great Game”: New events, journal entries and decisions inspired by the Russian and British rivalry in Central Asia, and a new Objective - you can play as any of the powers central to that conflict, including Persia and Afghanistan. A newly redrawn map highlights the many competing interests in this frontier between empires.
  • Foreign Investment: Invest in the economic development of countries outside of your direct influence, making a profit from their financial success.
  • Nationalization: Start a Diplomatic Play to seize foreign assets in your country and prevent your wealth from going overseas.
  • Subject Interactions: Adjust the payments from your vassals and protectorates, meddle in their internal politics and more!
  • Interest Group Lobbies: Domestic interest groups will pursue foreign policy objectives, promoting amicable relations with some countries and hostility with others, or even influence the development of friendly lobbies in other nations.
  • Power Bloc Monuments: Build majestic monuments to emphasize your bloc’s influence and domination over world events.
  • New Historical Flavor: New historical characters and companies, most centered on the Great Game content, as well as more events, new journal entries, Lobby related content, new clothing and event art.

Without Sphere of Influence players will be able to use foreign investments in their subjects. Players with Sphere of Influence will be able to form mutual Pacts with other countries to allow foreign investments there, and there is a Power Bloc Principle to allow foreign investments within the Bloc.

SphereOfInfluence_Infographic.png

More information will be released in Dev Diaries, with the first diary on Sphere of Influence to be released on the 14th of March, this will be an overview of the upcoming diaries and more information on the Expansion Pack itself.

But first we will have the last diary on 1.6 on the 7th of March (tomorrow). See you then!

• 145Love
  • 69Like
Reactions:
I'm rather hyped for this.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Here we go! The biggest downer of Victoria 3 is (hopefully) finally getting fixed. SOI is desperately needed, especially foreign investment (and nationalisation of it :)). I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

EDIT: Just a quick question: can nationalisation fonforeign assets be done against one particular country, or a particular industry only? And will the Holy Alliance etc be established as a Power bloc on game start? Are there any Power blocs that are at game start or its something the player can only create?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I was hoping on some news on Sphere of Influence after the release of patch 1.6, but even in my wildest dreams I had not been expecting a dev diary tomorrow already!

Scratch that, but the first SoI dev diary on March 14 is still awesome!

Until then, I'm gonna look at some trains going choo choo....

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I was hoping on some news on Sphere of Influence after the release of patch 1.6, but even in my wildest dreams I had not been expecting a dev diary tomorrow already!
Ah the diary tomorrow is on 1.6 and a bit more on the train pack, the first diary on Sphere of Influence is on the 14th!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Oh baby do I love seeing this stuff.

I will say though, as much as I adore Power Blocs as a concept and I'm incredibly hyped for them? Seeing "Power Block Monuments" has me utterly disgusted, both for what it can signal balance wise and just the absolutely terrible name for it. Like come on, 'Monuments'? There's gotta be a better way to call them, I'll even take 'Feats' or 'Accomplishments' over it. Monuments just has a bad taste in my mouth for what is supposed to be representative of the Comintern, Internationale, European Union, and other such things.

That and I genuinely hope we ain't going to be seeing ridiculous power creep buffs with them but I know balance was never a strong point for PDX so I can be very forgiving of that. Not for calling it Monuments though.

• 10Like
Reactions:
(I like the trains. Choo choo!)

Build a durable international faction of like-minded governments, pursuing goals for a common good or the glory of your power.

Paradox Interactive’s grand strategy simulation of the Victorian Age offers new ways to impose your will on the world. A coalition of reactionary powers can form blocs to work against the threat of liberal forces in other nations. Use your economic might to co-opt or coerce other regimes, spreading the banner of your ideology wherever your fleets might sail. Resist or embrace domestic pressure to change your traditional foreign policy, as your interest groups organize into lobbies that push you to build new coalitions of power.

• Fierce Competition: Use your Prestige to become a Great Power and create your own Power Bloc! Dominate other nations in a diplomatic arrangement to pursue common economic or ideological goals, whether promoting open trade around the world or spreading specific values to other nations.
  • Power Bloc Customization: Choose the identity and principles of your loose alliance, whether it be a group promoting ideological concerns like the Comintern, or an economy-oriented bloc pushing for cross-border market integration like the Zollverein. You can even customize colors and emblems for your bloc!
A lot of this emphasises the role of ideological coalitions. How will that a) work in practice given that the Interest Group Leader mechanics can generally change the ideology of a nation on a dime? Are we really just talking about international landowner coalitions, or whatever? And b) how does this square historically with ideological factions like the League of the Three Emperors being less stable than less ideological coalitions (e.g. the Triple Entente including autocratic Russia)?

• 11Like
Reactions:
Excited for the content, have been hoping for interest group effects on international politics since the game released!

A minor aside- not a huge fan of the new artstyle, at least in the splash image for sphere of influence here. It is an odd mix of looking too photo like (as opposed to painterly, the way the rest have been) with some rather clunky photoshop that makes nearly every character in the hall look pasted in. I know sometimes deadlines mean an art asset can be rushed, so Ill give this a pass, but I hope this does not represent a change in art direction, as up until now Vic3 art has been consistently excellent.

EDIT- I want to add that the trailer is fantastic, so if more time was devoted to pulling that off over a splash image, that is a justified trade. I do still hope for a return to the previous standards of Vicy3 in artwork going forward.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Ah the diary tomorrow is on 1.6 and a bit more on the train pack, the first diary on Sphere of Influence is on the 14th!
Ah sorry, I got carried away with the hype and read what I wanted to read o_O;)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Although I had bought the Grand Edition, Steam doesn't show Sphere of Influence as being in my library. There might be a problem there.
Either way: I'm very exited regarding foreign investment :D

Reactions:
Wohoo, and even so soon already, May is just 2 mere months away! That'll be so exciting!

I own the Grand Edition but Steam says I do not own Sphere of Influence. Is there an issue with it?

Was just about to ask that, I have the same problem, hopefully it's just a Steam-related issue!

• 7Like
Reactions:
What a marvelous trailer, the kraken is a great idea... and the last part had me grinning. Whoever came up with that idea, well done, Sir (or Madam)!

Genuinely excited for SoI

Reactions:
Kind of confused why the train pack is free DLC that we need to activate rather than just being included in patch 1.6. I mean, it works, but I'm just confused.

Anyway, SoI looks really exciting.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Anyways one thing that I really hope that Spheres of Influence come with is the fact that not all territory claimed was actually ruled over. I am looking at the Americas, which in 1836 fully controls far more land then they should. I am hoping that there is some mechanic to reflect that these lands were claimed by the US and recognized by other powers, but they didn't actually control it, and the various native peoples fiercely resisted for many decades.

northamerica18351228.jpg

Last edited:
  • 9Like
  • 2Love
Reactions: