• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #108 - Sphere of Influence and 1.7 Overview

16_9.png

Hello and welcome to the first Development Diary for the 1.7 update and Sphere of Influence expansion for Victoria 3. This Dev Diary is meant to give you a broad overview of the major Expansion and update features, which we’ll naturally go over in much greater detail in the next few weeks. As mentioned previously, all of this is scheduled to release on May 6th and you can pre-order Sphere of Influence right now.

Power Blocs (Sphere of Influence)​

Power Blocs are multinational associations that can be formed by high-ranking countries, and which take a variety of forms based on their Identity and Principles. Power Bloc Identities are set when they are formed, while Principles can be added and removed over time. Power Blocs are highly customizable in other ways, such as choosing their name and customizing their emblem, as well as creating custom statues to reflect the glory and reach of your Bloc.

A Power Bloc might take the form of a single Great Power and countries under its influence, a multilateral military alliance between several Major/Great Powers, or an economic cooperation with numerous countries in a unified market.

Power Blocs have Leverage on countries outside the Bloc (including members of other Blocs) and can use that Leverage to entice and cajole them into the Power Bloc. Being part of a Power Bloc comes with both benefits and obligations, and members are at risk of having their internal politics meddled with by the leader of the Bloc.

Interest Group Lobbies (Sphere of Influence)​

In Sphere of Influence, Interest Groups can now join Lobbies with specific foreign policy agendas centered around other countries. These Lobbies form organically as the result of a new system of Diplomatic Catalysts: A lobby friendly to Great Britain might form after the signing of an alliance with them, while a lobby hostile to Austria might spring up after being defeated by them in a war, all depending on a variety of diplomatic and political conditions at the time the Catalyst occurred.

Lobbies will try to promote or counter the interests of foreign powers and will help or hinder your diplomatic efforts based on whether your goals align with their own. Lobbies that are friendly to a specific foreign power can smooth the way for diplomatic agreement that would otherwise not be possible, but will oppose hostile actions and undermine any war efforts against that power, while unfriendly lobbies will try to hinder diplomatic efforts with the country of their ire but may create an opportunity for a key alliance with their rival instead.

In addition to appearing as due to Diplomatic Catalysts, Political Lobbies can also form as a result of certain events, like Social Democrats feeling the need to prove their opposition to Communism
DD108_01.png

Foreign Investment (Sphere of Influence)​

Foreign Investment makes it possible for both governments and autonomous private investors to construct building levels in other countries and enjoy the profits generated. To construct in another country, you need to have certain diplomatic pacts in place, or otherwise be part of a Power Bloc that allows such construction. If you do not own Sphere of Influence you will still be able to do Foreign Investment in your subjects.

The Great Game (Sphere of Influence)​

The Great Game is a major new content addition adding a new Objective and new Journal Entries focused on the historical Great Game that played out between Russia and Britain in Central Asia. The Objective can be played as either Russia/Britain or one of the other involved powers such as Persia, and which country you select changes the conditions required to ‘win’ the Great Game. The new Objective ties directly into numerous new Journal Entries such as Persia’s ambition to restore its hegemony over Afghanistan, most of which will be present even if the Objective isn’t selected and so will also drive AI behavior in the region.

As one of the Afghanistani minors, your most immediate priority will be to reunify Afghanistan and either restore the Durrani Empire or create something new
DD108_02.png

Subject Interactions (Sphere of Influence)​

Subject Interactions are a new group of Diplomatic Actions that can be done either by an overlord against their subjects, or by a subject against their overlord. These include actions such as Increasing or Decreasing Autonomy, changing the level of payments owed by a subject, appointing a new ruler, or allowing them to manage their own market. Certain Subject Actions, such as Increasing Autonomy or Granting Market Independence, will be available even to those without Sphere of Influence.

Building Ownership Revision (Update 1.7)​

The mechanics for Building Ownership are completely revised in the 1.7 update so that the owners of a building no longer have to work in that building, or even live in the same state - London-based Capitalists can now own buildings all over the world, and buildings can be selectively nationalized or privatized and put up for sale to interested investors, with the available options being restricted by which economic system a country is operating under. Additionally, buildings can now potentially have a different owner for each of its levels.

Instead of hanging around on the farms doing what could (God forbid) be considered ‘working’, the Aristocrats of East Anglia now stay in their Manor Houses and enjoy the proper leisurely pursuits of a countryside gentleman or gentlewoman
DD108_03.png

Liberty Desire (Update 1.7)​

Update 1.7 adds Liberty Desire for Subjects that restricts both which actions they can take against their overlord and which actions an overlord is able to take against them. Liberty Desire is calculated on a variety of factors, such as how intertwined the subject’s economy is with their overlord, and can increase or decrease over time. AI subjects will have a number of new diplomatic strategies influenced by their liberty desire, such as pursuing independence or remaining a subject but seeking greater autonomy from their overlord.

Owing to a relatively high level of Liberty Desire, Cambodia is pursuing a strategy of increased autonomy and self-reliance, but will not seek full independence yet
DD108_04.png

This is of course by no means an exhaustive list of everything we’re adding in Sphere of Influence and 1.7! There are new companies, new flavor events, more historical characters, new clothing and changes to the map, to name just a few. Since there is a lot to talk about, we’ll be releasing weekly dev diaries for at least the next couple of months!

That’s all for today. Next week we begin the deep-dives into 1.7 and Sphere of Influence, on the topic of Power Blocs!

Below you can see the Upcoming Dev Diary Schedule, so mark the dates down for when we go over your topics of interest!

Date Topic
21st MarchPower Blocs
28th MarchForeign Investment & Building Ownership
4th AprilSubject Interactions
11th AprilLobbies and More on Power Blocs
18th AprilThe Great Game
25th AprilThe Art of Sphere of Influence
2nd MayChangelog 1.7

• 170Love
  • 100Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
bruh foreign investment is locked behind dlc? in a game about victorian era economics and soft power diplomacy? same with domestic politics having an effect on foreign policy? there is literally a mod that adds foreign investment on the workshop for free and does a pretty damn good job.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, all of these stuff make this a totally different game! Can't Wait! I'm on for the ride for sure!

Will we have cute maids employed in the Manor Houses?
I'm pretty sure that the Steam Workshop will oblige you for sure, to say nothing about the volumes of anime material that can be adapted for this purpose!

• 7Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 24Haha
Reactions:
Two questions:

1. Right now we have "companies" which just give you different bonuses depending on how prosperous the buildings that are assigned to them are. It doesn't really operate like a real company imho. Will Spheres of Influence or a future update change companies to interact with the ownership changes introduced by Spheres of Influence and thus make companies act more like actual companies?

2. Will this update finally allow us to have some government owned industry and some private industry (aka mixed economy, as is the standard in todays day and age and has been during the Victoria era too)? I assume that as of right now you will allow nationalisation only against other countries owning stakes in your buildings, or if youre communist.

I get that you guys only allow communist nations to nationalise industries, to differentiate the different economic systems more. But it would be more realistic (and more fun?) if you could nationalise some levels of an industry, while the rest is still privately owned (or owned by another nation).

Like you could maybe allow the government to seize a level of a building from private individuals by force, causing radicals and opinion losses with IGs, as well as just buy it from them? Like, say in Laissez-Faire you can neither seize nor buy building levels from private individuals, but in Interventionism you can buy building levels from them, and in Command Economy you can seize them by force? It would also better model the transition from a privately owned economy to a state owned economy.

Could at least be food for thought for a future update.

• 13Like
Reactions:
You guys planning a revamp on Companies anytime soon, now that we're de-coupling the Higher Strata from buildings? I admit I find the current implementation so silly I don't even use them out of principle.

• 9Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I love absolutely everything I have read here, and frankly, the design described exceeds my expectations dramatically.

I am, however, very concerned that this is coming out in a mere 2 months, especially when we have heard little to nothing about it before now. With all these massive, sweeping additions and the huge, dramatic effect on game balance this will inevitably have, making it work properly is going to be a big job.

Can you promise me that members of the team will do at least a few full playthroughs, with both large and small starting countries, before releasing, and that you'll delay it if necessary? This sounds amazing to me, and I'm definitely buying it on release regardless, but I'd love to be able to actually play it that day, instead of needing to wait for a hotfix.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I love absolutely everything I have read here, and frankly, the design described exceeds my expectations dramatically.

I am, however, very concerned that this is coming out in a mere 2 months, especially when we have heard little to nothing about it before now. With all these massive, sweeping additions and the huge, dramatic effect on game balance this will inevitably have, making it work properly is going to be a big job.

Can you promise me that members of the team will do at least a few full playthroughs, with both large and small starting countries, before releasing, and that you'll delay it if necessary? This sounds amazing to me, and I'm definitely buying it on release regardless, but I'd love to be able to actually play it that day, instead of needing to wait for a hotfix.
I have the same concern, but participating in the tuning of the model is kind of cool.

Reactions:
I am really excited for foreign investment and the ownership rework! Colonialism is such a pain when you can't build buildings to make your colonial subjects exploit the resources you need, and also when colonial buildings can't hire anyone because they don't have local qualifications for aristocrats/capitalists!
I enjoy trying to establish an economic empire rather than simply conquering, so if well-implemented and meaningful these changes will absolutely draw me back to the game. Can't wait!

Reactions:
Seems like Q&A is over, but one more for good measure: is international debt something that’s being looked at in this dlc? Ottomanization would be interesting to see
That's honestly the only thing I feel the economic simulation still needs: some kind of international financial market, just like in Vic 2. I really hope that, with this new ownership system, pops can now lend their money to their national government as well as abroad by owning assets in some sort of central bank, instead of depositing their investments into some abstract 'investment pool' system. This would add a lot of the depth to the core economic and diplomatic loop, by allowing, for example, nations to use a repay debt causus beli to protect the investments of their interest national groups.

Fingers crossed. Give me that and I'll buy everyone on the dev team a bear.

Reactions: