• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 31st January 2017

Hello everyone, and welcome to another Europa Universalis development diary. Today we’ll take a deep look at the Manchu tribes.

As we added support for country & province modifiers for culture and culture-groups, we have tied the new unique paid mechanic for Manchu to the manchu culture itself.

If you are primary culture Manchu, in our next expansion, you will be able to raise Banners from states that have manchu cultures provinces. Each manchu province provides 1 banner for each 10 development it has, but it is all calculated on a state level, so several low development provinces together can add enough support for some banners, even if they individually can not support a banner.

Banners are required from the State Interface, and and the cost for a banner to be raised, is purely corruption. For each banner you gain 1 divided by your force limit.

Banners do not use manpower at all, but reinforce at normal monetary cost. If they reach 0 strength, the regiment is disbanded, just like mercenaries.

Banners are raised instantly at 100 men strength, so it will take a while for them to reinforce fully.

Banners are raised so that you get enough cavalry for your cavalry to infantry ratio, and the rest is raised as infantry.

If a state can no longer support enough banners, it will convert banners to regular troops at the start of a new month.

During the Absolutism Age, if you are Manchu or Qing, you can unlock the ability to increase the amount of banners you can raise by 50%, if you gain enough Splendor.

So what makes banners cool, except for having a nice purple background and not costing manpower to raise or reinforce? Well, each banner also have a +10% discipline while fighting.

The Eight Banners idea for Manchu increases the amount of banners you can raise by 25%, but if you don’t get the expansion, it will be 5% discipline still.

Another thing that’s cool with us adding banners is that we now have a nice flexible category system in the code, with normal, mercenary and banners as unit categories, and can expand upon that in the future.

If you compare the map of Manchuria compared to 1.19, you’ll notice a fair amount of tweaks as well..

eu4_14.png

Next week, we’ll be back to talk about State Edicts and the new State Interface..

Reactions:
So how to form Prussia and then turn to primary Manchu culture

We didn't worry much about that, because if you manage to be big and strong enough to both get manchu and prussian culture, you have already won the game.

Reactions:
Hate to sound pessimistic, but 5% disipline is probably way better than 25% more banners when fighting big Lucky nations in the late game.

You would have to culture convert alot of land to Manchu culture to get more value from banners.

Last edited:
Reactions:
You could become Manchu culture with anyone else. I went Manchu in my Korea game.

I was asking because in the ss there was Jianzhou with banner infantry and based upon mechanic explanation in the DD it didn't add up, so it could be different cav to infantry ratio in 1.20, but Johan already answered that up.

kinds.. cavalry to infantry ratio is no longer a techgroup variable, but is a normal modifier.

- Cavalry Ratios removed from techgroup, and added to other modifiers. Default is 50%.
- Steppe Horde government now have +25% Cavalry Ratio.
- Winged Hussars Idea gives +10% Cavalry Ratio now.
- Happy Cossacks Estates give +10% Cavalry Ratio now.
- Sunni Religion lost tolerance own, but gained +10% Cavalry Ratio.
- Tengri lost 2 unrest, but gained +25% Cavalry Ratio.
- Tengri now have 20% cheaper regiments, up from 10% cheaper regiments.

is the current stuff we have.

Are these modifiers additive or multiplicative? E.g. does Steppe Horde gov't get 75% cavalry ratio, or 62.5%?

Reactions:
My "+20% discilpline to swedish culture" proposal was turned down by the team :(

Add a few more zeroes? Or add -20 % discipline to all other cultures?

Reactions:
Does the culture need to be your primary culture or does it just need to be in your nation? Does it need to be accepted?

Do the bonuses only apply to troops recruited through that culture of province?

Well historically the Manchu banners did eventually become extremely corrupt and inept at fighting. They were basically paid to do nothing once they settled down.
They became corrupt and inept because they stopped taking part in wars after 10 Great Campaigns. Getting corruption from fighting wars is the exact opposite.

Reactions:
Holy cow, I just realized how much potential this could have for adding new types of troops.
Imperial Armies instead of HRE forcelimit and manpower bonuses.
Armies drawn from specific cultures within your empire, like British Highlanders.
Armies drawn from nations that lack their own country, like the Polish Legions under Napoleon.

And of course:

Feudal levies for early game!

Last edited:
Reactions:
So could modders already create new "unit types" similar to the banners but maybe they could be "normally" recruited with modifiers for example more expensive in exchange a morale boost? Or is that something that would need to be hardcoded to be made available per type?

Holy cow, I just realized how much potential this could have for adding new types of troops.
Imperial Armies instead of HRE forcelimit and manpower bonuses.
Armies drawn from specific cultures within your empire, like British Highlanders.
Armies drawn from nations that lack their own country, like the Polish Legions under Napoleon.

And of course:

Feudal levies for early game!
Indeed. Though I do not see how it would replace the HRE forclimit. Manpower yes, but the emperor would still need that extra force limit.

Reactions:
@Johan Do you know if the name "banner" will also be tied to culture or be modded that way. Say if I wanted to mod it so that the Roman culture could raise banners, but have them called Legionnaires?

Reactions:
Indeed. Though I do not see how it would replace the HRE forclimit. Manpower yes, but the emperor would still need that extra force limit.
Yeah, right. Not sure why I wrote that.

What happens if you no longer have the needed development to support the banners? Does it matter if the provinces are under siege or occupied?