• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 31st January 2017

Hello everyone, and welcome to another Europa Universalis development diary. Today we’ll take a deep look at the Manchu tribes.

As we added support for country & province modifiers for culture and culture-groups, we have tied the new unique paid mechanic for Manchu to the manchu culture itself.

If you are primary culture Manchu, in our next expansion, you will be able to raise Banners from states that have manchu cultures provinces. Each manchu province provides 1 banner for each 10 development it has, but it is all calculated on a state level, so several low development provinces together can add enough support for some banners, even if they individually can not support a banner.

Banners are required from the State Interface, and and the cost for a banner to be raised, is purely corruption. For each banner you gain 1 divided by your force limit.

Banners do not use manpower at all, but reinforce at normal monetary cost. If they reach 0 strength, the regiment is disbanded, just like mercenaries.

Banners are raised instantly at 100 men strength, so it will take a while for them to reinforce fully.

Banners are raised so that you get enough cavalry for your cavalry to infantry ratio, and the rest is raised as infantry.

If a state can no longer support enough banners, it will convert banners to regular troops at the start of a new month.

During the Absolutism Age, if you are Manchu or Qing, you can unlock the ability to increase the amount of banners you can raise by 50%, if you gain enough Splendor.

So what makes banners cool, except for having a nice purple background and not costing manpower to raise or reinforce? Well, each banner also have a +10% discipline while fighting.

The Eight Banners idea for Manchu increases the amount of banners you can raise by 25%, but if you don’t get the expansion, it will be 5% discipline still.

Another thing that’s cool with us adding banners is that we now have a nice flexible category system in the code, with normal, mercenary and banners as unit categories, and can expand upon that in the future.

If you compare the map of Manchuria compared to 1.19, you’ll notice a fair amount of tweaks as well..

eu4_14.png

Next week, we’ll be back to talk about State Edicts and the new State Interface..

Reactions:
Do any other cultures have stuff tied to them?

No..

but modders can do it in their mods if they want to.

My "+20% discilpline to swedish culture" proposal was turned down by the team :(

Reactions:
Is the horde support ratio different in 1.20 @Johan , or why there is banner infantry?

kinds.. cavalry to infantry ratio is no longer a techgroup variable, but is a normal modifier.

- Cavalry Ratios removed from techgroup, and added to other modifiers. Default is 50%.
- Steppe Horde government now have +25% Cavalry Ratio.
- Winged Hussars Idea gives +10% Cavalry Ratio now.
- Happy Cossacks Estates give +10% Cavalry Ratio now.
- Sunni Religion lost tolerance own, but gained +10% Cavalry Ratio.
- Tengri lost 2 unrest, but gained +25% Cavalry Ratio.
- Tengri now have 20% cheaper regiments, up from 10% cheaper regiments.

is the current stuff we have.

Reactions:
Ah, now i see why Russia is Zerg Swarm. Are you consulting with nationalistic polish historians about Russian history?xD

No, just Swedish historians, cause they are the only unbiased ones.

(yes, i am ironic)

Reactions:
So how to form Prussia and then turn to primary Manchu culture

We didn't worry much about that, because if you manage to be big and strong enough to both get manchu and prussian culture, you have already won the game.

Reactions:
Reactions:
No..

but modders can do it in their mods if they want to.

My "+20% discilpline to swedish culture" proposal was turned down by the team :(
How about Berber raiding? Tying it to culture would free up the possibility of giving each Berber nation unique idea set.

Reactions:
Holy cow, I just realized how much potential this could have for adding new types of troops.
Imperial Armies instead of HRE forcelimit and manpower bonuses.
Armies drawn from specific cultures within your empire, like British Highlanders.
Armies drawn from nations that lack their own country, like the Polish Legions under Napoleon.

And of course:

Feudal levies for early game!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Do any other cultures have stuff tied to them?

Reactions:
Does this mean... the Manchus are literally space orcs?

Reactions:
So you can both raise banners and recruit normal armies in Manchu provinces?

The corruption cost must have been added from purely gameplay reasons. Historically it makes little sense, given that whole Manchu administration was based on banners.

Yep.. purely from gameplay reasons.

Reactions:
Sounds like a fun mechanic and specialy a nice platform for future culture bounded special units, hope it gets used a lot more in the future :)

Reactions:
Also, is the +10% discipline (I assume modded value) is for the entire banner mechanic, or can we mod so that for example banners for Manchu are +10% discipline, while banners for Poland are +20% Cavalry Combat Ability?

entire banner mechanic.

Reactions:
@Johan If you are working at the cavalry ratio, could you also look into the deployment algorithm?

Using more than just the flanking amount of cavalry is frustrating at times, because the game prioritizes deploying infantry above cavalry. Excerpt from a post I made in the suggestions forum:

"Currently cavalry gets prioritized for flanking positions, which can cause cavalry to get deployed less than desired, if you want to play cavalry heavy, like hordes or poland. Let's say you are poland with 10 infantry and 10 cavalry. You engage a 10 stack. What the game does is, to deploy all your 10 infantry and only 4 cavalry for flanking. Not really what you want in a cavalry heavy stack. So you have to detach excessive units before you engage to force cavalry into the fight, and then reinforce with the infantry a day later, so you don't accidentally suffer from insufficient support.

So instead of deploying cavalry for flanking, the game should look at the actual cavalry ratio of your units and try to assemble a front line that matches that ratio. So in that poland case from above, the enemy has 10 troops, so we can use 14. Cavalry ratio is 60%, so 60% of 14 is 8.4, rounded down to 8, so the game should deploy 8 cavalry and 6 infantry."

Full post: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/streamlining-cavalry.994114/

Reactions:
Because the Russian army was never that large compared to its enemies and for most of its history in this time period was ahead of the curve. They were one of the first states with a professional standing army near the start of EU4 with the Streltsy and Russian infantry during the Napoleonic wars was famed for their morale and brave charges. The whole Russian horde thing is pop-culture history based on German war propaganda during the second world war.

Russia didn't even exist as a nation at the start of EU4 and Muscovy was essentially a Mongol tributary until 1480. So at the very start Paradox already gives soon to be Russia Muscovy an ahistorical advantage with an independent status. Napoleonic Wars didn't even happen until near the end of EU4. You mean to tell me that Muscovy and Russia should get some sort of uber discipline upgrade because of some advantage Russia supposedly had over the rest of the world in the last 10th of the game's time frame? Sounds like bullshit Russian revisionism.

I'm not even arguing that Russia wasn't formidable, but how exactly is what Russia did any more relevant or impressive than the fact that a bunch of nobody tribals at the edge of the world essentially conquered the largest and wealthiest empire state in existence at the time? Historicaly inaccurate my ass.

Nothing like the fundamentally excruciatingly lopsided victories that the Manchus took over Ming exists in Russian history. Not even the Russian victories over the Ottomans or conquest of Siberia can even be remotely compared to what happened with the Qing conquest of Ming. The subjugation of such a large amount of well established agricultural people by what were an irrelevant people at the edge of the known world without a technological advantage like Russia had over Siberian peoples and eventually the Ottomans. Maybe the German Russian war can be compared to it, but even then Russia never managed to take control over all of Germany. If the Russians had conquered all of Europe, hell just all of the middle east, then ya give my a phone call, I'll retract everything I've written and delete my account.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Russia didn't even exist as a nation at the start of EU4 and Muscovy was essentially a Mongol tributary until 1480. The Napoleonic Wars didn't even happen until near the end of EU4. You mean to tell me that Muscovy and Russia should get some sort of uber discipline upgrade because of some advantage Russia supposedly had over the rest of the world in the last 10th of the game's time frame? Sounds like bullshit Russian revisionism.

I'm not even arguing that Russia wasn't formidable, but how exactly is what Russia did any more relevant or impressive than the fact that a bunch of nobody tribals at the edge of the world essentially conquered the largest and wealthiest empire state in existence at the time? Historicaly inaccurate my ass.
Just because they weren't a nation called Russia doesn't mean they weren't Russian people, especially since Muscovy near seamlessly became Russia. And no, what I'm saying is maybe replace Russias ahistorical 50% bonus manpower with +10% or 15% infantry combat ability and maybe throw +5% discipline or +10% morale somewhere else. They could probably get some sort o artillery combat ability bonus as well considering that was the strongest and most favored part of their military for half of EU4's time frame but there is a reason artillery bonuses are rare on majors.

and if you want to talk bullshit revisionism, Prussias military ideas are based on stuff that happened after the game ended. Prussia's big military advantage in real life were their officers and their ability to field a large army relative to their size, not being crazy elite compared to everybody else.

edit: and the Manchu conquest of China was largely thanks to Han defectors. and The Jurchens weren't some random tribals either (Jianzhou should technically not be a horde as they were a settled people)

Last edited:
Reactions: