• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't know. I left CK2 some time before Republic came out. Only came back for the GG migration and trying out all the changes since then. I think the latest complaint in town is Holy Orders being OP by winning crusades way too easily.

The Kingdom of Georgia is interesting. You've got cousins in the Duke of Armenia (though you have religious differences, they are still your allies--and a buffer against expanding Islam). The steppes are wide open to the north once Hungary forms. And you can join the Byzantine Empire whenever you feel like it. :)

Just formed Sweden under the af Munso dynasty and then reformed Norse paganism. It's now crazily easily to do both now and then the world is your oyster. Reformed pagan North Sea empire awaits.

1 April, 1081 (The Alexiad), Serene Doge Gerardo I Visconti, Serene Doge of Pisa Link

Just in case you guys might be interested, some three months before the quoted post was made (just before the release of the Republic DLC) I started an AAR with a Ruler Designed replacement for that doge in 1 January 1078, which is when he succeeded the previous della Gherardesca doge. I've had some very interesting adventures so far, though mostly playing like a feudal ruler with city vassals and more cash. My dynasty tended to have 1-2 adult males for like 100 years.

I would also like to suggest Saint Louis IX. You start in 1226 with a child king, and England has de iure ducal claims in Aquitaine. My first time through I had Henry III in my jail. ;) In any case, starting so young means that you'll still be relatively young when your Short Reign wears off. You will have Long Reign bonuses when things get really tough. Jerusalem is on the verge of collapse and can go down in two holy wars, while the queen is the Empress of the HRE. Both BYZ and Latin Empire are threatened by Rum, though Byzzies are surprisingly tough. Trebisond will probably soon cease to exist, and Georgia is very likely to follow suit, as is Armenia Minor. Also Antioch and Tripoli (ruled by brothers, but there seems to be more claim infighting than alliance) are exposed to holy wars from the neighbouring emirates of Aleppo and Edessa, all of which are ruled by descendants of Saladin (the Emir of Edessa is actually a son of Saladin), which means they are of the same dynasty as the Sultan of Egypt.

However, like in history, Egypt is unstable, and there are often civil wars. This means you can hit for a couple of duchies within a shorter time-frame than you normally would with truces with the sultan. Also, sultans have a shorter life expectancy in the circumstances, occasionally ending your truces. These days Nubia has been removed from de iure k_Egypt, which means that k_Egypt contains: d_Damietta (4 provinces in the Delta), d_Alexandria (5 provinces in the west), Cairo (2 provinces south of the Delta), Aswan (3 provinces at the south end), d_Sinai (4 provinces). The Delta has good supply limits, as does Cairo, while d_Sinai and d_Alexandria are undeveloped with few holdings, which means they're relatively easy to capture. All of Egypt is 18 provinces, of which you need 10 (51% rounded up to full province) to usurp Egypt. You can win the holy wars for the three coastal duchies without needing to incur desert penalties to supply, although my favourite marine stomps (funnelling armies into and out of battles with ships) has been nerfed with longer loading/unloading times and halved morale on ships. Usurping Egypt makes all the emirs independent as opposed to being united under one Sultan.

You have some interesting opportunities because the Pope will likely soon call a crusade to restore k_Jerusalem to its full borders, while he might alternatively or additionally call a crusade against Egypt. The Mongols, whom you will likely face eventually, are beatable. You can see some interesting stuff if you goad them to attack you in the mountains of Georgia, where you will have like 15-20K supply due to province religion and culture. You can use your Unyielding commanders, Flankers, Defenders, Holy Warriors, Flankers (unlike Inspiring Leader for a fixed 10% at the centre, Flanker does scale with Martial ability).

Your cultural retinue is knights, by the way, and you get to choose the education for the king (who should have about 3 traits at start, not necessarily positive ones, they're random anyway), after which you can use him as a commander. I did before they nerfed single flanks, which allowed me to pick up Inspiring Leader and Cav Commander. So I used him to lead cultural knights packed into one flank etc.

My next saint in the AAR will be David I of Scotland, starting in April/May 1124 as a 40 year old King of Scotland, although there are closer heirs (sons of elder brothers). He should be available from about 1113 as Duke of Lothian (real life: Prince of the Cumbrians, i.e. Welsh settlers/leftovers/Alt Clud remnants etc.) Son of St. Margaret of Wessex, nephew of Eadgar. Supported Empress Mathilda (his niece) against King Stephen, invaded England and lost. His great regret was being unable to prevent the atrocities committed by his savage armies (and perhaps the entire invasion itself). He supported the Church and introduced reforms, becoming known as the 'King who made Scotland'. Unfortunately, the mechanics of the game will likely prevent him from getting any significant piety or even building bishoprics. However, he will probably be somewhat likely to have an opportunity to deal with the Norse or any independents in de iure Scotland or perhaps some adventurers etc. However, it's also likely that he will die of natural causes several years after your start.

I'm also planning to look at Charles the Good of Flanders, who is actually Danish and son of (Saint!) Canute, the outside bet in 1066 (his invasion of England didn't come to be), whom you seem to have already listed (judging by the Wiki page).

You may want to look at Guy de Lusignan (King of Jerusalem 1186), as well as Sybilla, Isabelle and Melisande. I'm tempted to start an AAR dealing with the women on the throne of k_Jerusalem. Please note that the game does not follow history in 100%, so you may need to trace the rulers month by month manually. They may also take turns with each other in being listed as the king/queen of the time.

Another interesting character is Boleslaw III Wrymouth of Poland, who should be on the map in 1109 as the sole ruler and in any case should be on the map in some capacity since 1102. He has an elder 'bastard' brother Zbigniew, but Zbigniew's supposed illegitimacy (supposedly something like handfast marriage but in any case missing the religious form that was expected at the time) is controversial. Boleslaw should have a complete k_Poland. Historically, he struggled against the HRE (but was respected by them) and expanded into Pomerania. Notably from the point of view of CK2, he instituted Seniority Succession when he died in 1138. Unlike the pretty shape in the game, Poland was really torn apart until 1296 (a short-lived king with limited territorial rule), then came Bohemian conquest, and then in 1306 the land finally was somewhat united by Wladyslaw the Elbow-High (which I tried to reenact in my Dominus Regni Poloniae AAR). However, large parts of the country were missing, and not even Casimir the Great (the king in the last start, his son) managed to get the full k_Poland back, although he did expand into Ruthenia. It can be said that Poland never recovered from the consequences of that Succession Statute. In fact, modern (post-1945) Poland looks sort of like 1138 Poland, and the de iure kingdom/duchy makeup of Poland is basically based on that statute. Boleslaw (Boleslaus) is the son of the Duke of Masovia from the 1066 start and nephew of the king from that start. Also, the sond of Boleslaw the Bold should be alive and have a claim.

Last edited:
Jerusalem, Kingdom of

Start date: 1220
Queen Isabella II de Brienne
Starting at the age of 9 and with only the coastline of the holy lands, you have to endure the constant holy wars and jihads and hope you can secure a good alliance, perhaps with a certain Kaiser who will totally not lock you in a tower in Sicily. Not to worry though the Knights Templar and Hospitaller start as vassals, but can you manage to take back what should rightfully belong to Christendom?

I'll be away for the next couple of weeks, but when I get back I'll have my annual 2-week stint of actually doing things due t not being exhausted and this should get updated. I planned to do it today but packing and planning got in the way of that happening.

Also, happy New Year!

One of my favorite starts is Count Folques of Tours; the reason being that I think he's the father of the Geoffroy who married Henry I of England's daughter Matilda-or is it Maude?. Never really been sure which name it was. Anyway, they went on to become the parents of Henry II of England, so I kinda figure I'm playing the Plantagenets *BEFORE* they became Plantagenets... :p

Interesting immersive start dates and republics to play? Would like something not as strange as 867 Iceland republic, yet somewhat challening to play.

Experiencing competition between republics would be the most desirable thing. Tips?

Interesting immersive start dates and republics to play? Would like something not as strange as 867 Iceland republic, yet somewhat challening to play.

Experiencing competition between republics would be the most desirable thing. Tips?

Well the 867 venise is really nice because you are in a mortal battle against almafi.

Ladislaus IV 'the Cuman' of Hungary, 6 August 1272. Self-explanatory. Well, half-Cuman through his mother, who was his regent when he succeded at 10 years of age. He favoured Cuman dress and custom over Hungarian and hung out with the Cumans a lot.

Just wondering, are the Fatimids still really overpowered in 1066? I haven't played that start in a long time.

No, now they are totally screwed. The Caliph starts with -450 or so gold, 90 decadence, and is basically facing an inevitable decadence revolt. Really though, it just makes things worse for their enemies and changes the name of k_egypt. I hope it's a bug or something, since I always liked to play the Fatimids, and have a lot of good memories from the experiences.

Let's All Go to Cumania

Do you like a challenge? Here's one.

All of you should go to Omsk, in the Khanate of Cumania, choosing 886 AD as the beginning: the earliest possible. It's so far east that the rulers are called "Khans". You will start with two Counties (Omsk and Mansia) to your name and the ability to Usurp a Duchy if you're fast enough. (Be careful, your Khan is faster!) Omsk and Mansia, if you get some Jew money and raise your Feudal taxes, are wealthy enough to get you a gain of three pieces of Gold a month. This isn't much, obviously, but it's good for a start.

The objective I always try? Become King of the Rus. Wait, but why the Rus? -BECAUSE WHY NOT, THAT'S WHY.

Anyway, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to unite your lands and Declare Independence with as much under your belt as possible... with a catch. In order to join the Russians, and yes, the Kingdom of Rus doesn't start spawned, you have to join an area that is de jure a part of the Kingdom. That means you have to stay as a Count, because a Duke can't swear to a Duke. That means you will be entering at the bottom, and will have to claw your way to the top. If you're not like me and want to play as Pulad himself in Omsk, then you will have the advantage of being a filthy Pagan (Tengri). You can convert your children (or yourself) to Slavic filthy Paganism and begin marrying into the other Russian de jure zone's families.

I have been trying this for a long time, and I still can't do it. Maybe you can?

Last edited:
Any Jewish faction ideas?

I am currently doing an Ashkenazi-Jewish campaign, starting in 867.

I started off with the Khazars then gave land to an Ashkenazi courtier (specifically Korchev in Crimea) and took control of him. I spent a few decades defending the Jewish lands in Khazaria as it collapsed and converted to reformed Tengriism (the new Khan was first to convert and forcibly imprisoned/converted all his vassals) but eventually I was just left with my little county in the Duchy of Cherson, which now worshipped Tengri.

My neighbouring countess, with whom I was quite friendly, formed an independence faction which I joined. We both declared our independence from the Duke and went our separate ways. I gathered up what levies and mercenaries I could muster and conquered the pirate emirate down in Crete where I formed a Jewish Duchy, and from there I was able to conquer all of the old territories in Khazaria (now Alania) that were still Jewish, reuniting god's chosen people. I became King of Taurica and later King of Alania, later still Duke of Cyprus. I have many, many vassals (who have vassals) of course with a semi-independent Khazar theocratic Duchy in Azov (ruled by the Khazars and Alans that I could find that were still Jewish) but I feel that my growing empire is working well. I hope to gather enough capital that I can invade Israel when the caliphate has collapsed.

My only problem is I'd really like an actual "Empire", but none of the Empires that I could make really fit. It would be nice if the Jews could create some kind of Imperial title to go with Israel rather than having to call themselves Emperors of Arabia or Byzantium or something.

Last edited:
Let me give you another interesting character or rather dynasty: the Dunins of d_Silesia in earlier Poland starts (1066 to probably 1140-ies).

In the later middle ages, the Dunins were basically on the level of, shall we say, county gentry or something like a western baron in terms of social class. Basically above common knights or squires but definitely lords and not princes, and not the top echelon of unprincely lords, either. This process continued until the modern era, with some branches acquiring the title of count when those titles became more common and Polish nobles became less reserved about taking titles from foreign rulers (Polish rulers were forbidden from giving Polish titles to Polish subjects in the EU4 timeframe). There are even members of the family among the modern intelligentsia (e.g. a feminist talker), and I bet few people even realise those guys have noble roots (the surname does not have any of the typical noble suffixes in Polish; for starters, it is neither a locative nor a nobiliary patronymic).

Thing is, they are probably descendent from the 'comes' Piotr Wlost and the Wlostowic family, who are given the 'Dunin' dynastic name in CK2 and are represented as Dukes of Silesia. Non-Piast 'dukes' in Piast Poland are a big joke (other than vassal dukes of Pomerania, who had Piast descent at least through women but possibly also through less important men, which is just not attested too well in the sources) because the Piasts were tribal princes kinda like the Rurikovich dynasty in Russia. They were the 'natural lords', the rest were subjects, appointees, magistrates, not proper vassal rulers (even though 'comes' or 'baro' appeared in Latin sources, possibly even margraves).

Thing is, the Wlostowic family may actually have been the princes of Silesia before the Piast conquest. The name 'Wlost' seems to be a cognate of 'właściciel', owner, the Polish word for the Latin 'dominus'. Their properties were also located in central and strategic locations. On the other hand, they enjoyed a position of trust with the Piasts – which is sort of inexplicable if they were deposed, conquered princes, but would in turn explain strategic grants of land perhaps. But one doesn't know how the conquest of Silesia by the Piasts actually happened, other than Bohemia being there first. And the Wlostowic don't seem to have been Bohemians. So perhaps they swapped one overlord for the next, having been reduced to vassalage either way.

Also, they were 'cool' enough to receive a daughter of the Rurikovich prince of Kiev in marriage, and that's just not something a simple knight or royal administrator would be considered for. It'd be most puzzling IMHO if they weren't somewhat of a princely house themselves. I don't think being friends with the ruler of Poland and being put in charge of a county or two would do it for a simple knight. (The Rurikovich were probably more prestigious that the Piasts themselves, although power realities varied and tended to favour the Piasts, I think.)

In any case, I guess you could roleplay them along the lines of either being a class above the normal Piast subjects and the closest thing k_Poland had to real vassal rulers, or even as actual dukes, possibly even ex-princes trying to get independent again. They're mysterious enough for you, and the sources about them are vague enough, to fill the gaps with imagination.

Wiki links: Dunin (surname), Piotr Wlast (son or grandson of the 1066 'duke' of Silesia in the game).

Word of warning, though. If you ever feel like playing in Poland but not as the Piasts, you should carefully check any wikipedia links. Poland is currently full of made-up dukes and counts, unfortunately and atypically for this game. (Poland had life-time appointments like the first Carolingians. The Poraj family cast as dukes of d_Greater_Poland in 11th century did not actually really exist much by then, being a clan of knights or minor lords imported from Bohemia in a later timeframe.)

No, now they are totally screwed. The Caliph starts with -450 or so gold, 90 decadence, and is basically facing an inevitable decadence revolt. Really though, it just makes things worse for their enemies and changes the name of k_egypt. I hope it's a bug or something, since I always liked to play the Fatimids, and have a lot of good memories from the experiences.

The decadence is at 75%, and you can easily knock off 10% or more by distributing land and titles to his 3 sons.

I'm not sure if this character has been posted, I've tried using the search and nothing came up so I apologize in advance. xD

Sjælland, Petty Kingdom of
Sigfrið Hilditonn, Chief of Skåne 867 AD

Sigfrið seems to come from a dynasty with quite a few notable characters. Ancestor of Harald Wartooth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Wartooth) It is said that he wanted to die in battle as a true Norseman rather than like a cow laying in the straw. Wartooth fought and died in the legendary Battle of Brávellir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brávellir) against Sigurðr Hringr. Sigfrið starts with the second best county in the Petty Kingdom as far as economy. He is unmarried and has a son, Haraldr age 12. Sigfrið himself is a bit up there in age at 42 but if you get a lucky start you can educate your heir with pretty good stats.

A few other characters in his dynasty if you are interested in the read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Klak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guthrum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorik_of_Dorestad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_the_Younger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodulf_Haraldsson

Just found this one in my Lappish Play through.

Hrólfr, or perhaps better known as Rollo, or by his Christian name Robert. In this game is a Courtier of the Jarl of Trøndelag. But in history he was a fierce viking who raided France along the Seine, and would attack Paris, Twice. He would invade Northern France, And eventually convert to Catholicism and swear fealty to the king of France, in exchange for a fiefdom. He is the found of both the house and duchy of Normandy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo