• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
-Radboud Folcwalding of Holland

Listed a few times here. He is incredibly hard to play. Your Nord liege will try to revoke your title as soon as possible to make it the capital of the Duchy of Holland. It's quite interesting tho, because it really is a challenge to improve your situation as a simple count, with a rich historical family.

A rich historical family indeed. He is a descendant from the old Kings of Frisia and related to the both the Gerulfings (what is now known as the House of Holland) and the Karlings.

Count Godfrey of Mann, 1066 start
The last descendant of King Ivar the Boneless. Fittingly, his dynasty is named Ivaring. A bit of a hard start, though.

Have already failed two times with the following challenge - start as Count of Krakow (many baronies in this county) in 867 and become catholic King at least (in ironmode)... It is easy to convert to Catholicism, but immediately there is a pressure from Slavic countries around. If you don't convert early - then you have a strong pressure from your liege...
Can't say this is impossible task, but still hard.

Count Godfrey of Mann, 1066 start
The last descendant of King Ivar the Boneless. Fittingly, his dynasty is named Ivaring. A bit of a hard start, though.
He is a good character to play with, however he is not the last Ivar. His son owns Galloway a d his Grandson Carrack so two nice allies for that part of the world early on. You can swear fealty to scottland or just take Ireland.

France, kingdom of:
---Guilhem de Poitou, Duke of Aquitaine, 25 September 1086:
You've played as a great conqueror, or three, and achieved greatness from nothing... so why not look into cultural achievements, instead? Duke Guilhem IX of Aquitaine is, while of some importance as a historical figure, better known for being the first recorded troubadour, with several of his works of bawdy Occitan poetry about love, sex and feudal politics - some of which are still hilarious - surviving to this day. Furthermore, he was an extremely renowned womaniser for his day, significantly involved in struggles for dominance within France in his efforts to take over other duchies, and alternately promoted and went against the Catholic Church. To top it all, he was also a Crusader in 1101, even though an unsuccessful one - and Eleanor of Aquitaine's grandfather, to boot. History also records that he declined to kill an enemy bishop, quipping that "I don't love you enough to send you to paradise!". What more is to be said, other than that his start as a powerful duke is not particularly difficult, and that you are free to take this great, womanising poet wherever you want into the history books. Maybe just try not to be quite as horrible to his wife as he was, this time.

Last edited:
Manichaean
Pecheneg Khanate
- Count Yavdi Kuertsitsur of Khopyor, January 867:

Manichaeism once competed against Christianity for dominance. It's influence spread from Rome to China. Now, it's dying. You are one of the two rulers still clinging to it's teachings. Your poor realm is surrounded by hostile Jews and pagans but for the time being, you are protected by Khan of Pechenegs. All is not lost however, as you already have an heir and your wife is set to inherit the lands of your brother-in-law (and only ally), if he should have an unfortunate "accident".

Can you establish a new realm for "Religion of Light" in these unforgiving lands or is Mani's light destined to die out?

Last edited:
Sunni
Rajastan, Khaganate of (Ghulam Khaganate)
- Khatun Raziyya Ghulam, November 20, 1236

For the hat trick of female Muslim rulers, why not try the one and only Muslim woman to rule in India? In real-life Razia Sultan (she insisted on the masculine title and generally dressed and ruled as a man) was the chosen heir of her father, but had to defend her title of Sultan of Delhi against first her brother, then a childhood friend, then yet another brother.
In-game, the only real hurdle is distributing the 50(!!!) holdings she starts with and how unwilling you are to allow her incompetent brothers to inherit after her. Survive the early years, and all of India is your oyster.

Pecheneg Khanate
- Count Yavdi Kuertsitsur of Khopyor, January 867:

Manicheanism once competed against Christianity for dominance. It's influence spread from Britain to China. Now, it's dying. You are one of the two rulers still clinging to it's teachings. Your poor realm is surrounded by hostile Jews and pagans but for the time being, you are protected by Khan of Pechenegs. All is not lost however, as you already have an heir and your wife is set to inherit the lands of your brother-in-law (and only ally), if he should have an unfortunate "accident".

Can you establish a new realm for "Religion of Light" in these unforgiving lands or is Mani's light destined to die out?

Is manicheanism an actual in-game religion, or heresy of orthodoxy/catholocism, or non-existant mechanics wise?

Vladimir High Chief of Chernigov (Alexiad Start) - Historically you became the Grand Prince of Kiev, but for now, you have to settle for being the Chief of Chernigov. You have some amazingly high stats, including the genius trait. You are also a descendant of Rurik, the legendary Norse invader, and as a result have several strong allies throughout the region. Can you build a lasting dynasty throughout Rus, all the while preparing for the inevitable invasion of the Mongols?

Ladislaus IV 'the Cuman' of Hungary, 6 August 1272. Self-explanatory. Well, half-Cuman through his mother, who was his regent when he succeded at 10 years of age. He favoured Cuman dress and custom over Hungarian and hung out with the Cumans a lot.

Does he actually get the nickname "the Cuman" in the game?

I'd like to see some recomendations in India, specially in the 867 start date. :p

A Byzantine one I'm surprised isn't on the list:

Andronikos III Palaiologos, Basileus of Byzantine Empire, Hundred Years War Start

Roman Restoration: Time Trial Edition. The last playable Emperor in CKII, ruling over at best half of Greece. Can you restore the Roman Empire to glory in the limited time before the game comes to an end?

I got to ask, have anyone succeeded in getting the Kingdom of Sweden as Erik the Heathen without converting post-old gods? I've so far been very, very unsuccessful.

There are two totally not-gamey ways to do it, which requires most clever vassal play, which I enjoyed greatly to perform. Remember, you are a duke in an elective kingdom, the second duke is a boy in Ostergotland, and, of course, there is pneumonic king Stenkill, whose heir, prince Inge is zealous bastard. What do we have here? Prince Inge must not inherit, medium CA must not be implemented. Claimant Eric must either be elected as a king or press the claim by force.

You have but one boon in this situation - an electoral vote for the title of the king. But the duke boy will never support an infidel, while the king has the ability to create a second elector. Nevermind though. If you can create 3 pious Norse duchies in the kingdom (you already have one and a territory of the second, and a chance to expand into the third), you may legally inherit Sweden. This is a very risky plan however. I contemplated it but never implemented. There is another one, better one. There are two real candidates - a legitimate Stenkilling, with powerful and consolidated royal demense, solid allies in Scandinavia, with power and desire to expel the last of true believers from the face of the Earth, and a second one, a non-assuming boy-duke, who owns a single county and has no real power whatsoever.

Give your vote to the duke of Ostergotland, and he will become a weak boy-king with two major vassals who hate his guts, while you will be given many peaceful years to consolidate your power. If you run into some unexpected trouble, you can always press Stenkilling claim on Sweden, adding even more anarchy in the kingdom and resetting crown authority. I myself didn't need to, but pressed my own claim, which was quite easy, since the king barely had demence, Stenkilling, whose power surpassed mine, denied him levies as pretender to the throne, and he didn't have any allies to call into the war. The victory was swift, but after that I had some serious trouble which cost me some territory (and also putting me below the limit for prepped invasions). Then the realm was stable, I had Norway invaded Sjaelland single-county conquered and Faith reformed following some intense raiding and temple-burning.

There are two totally not-gamey ways to do it, which requires most clever vassal play, which I enjoyed greatly to perform. Remember, you are a duke in an elective kingdom, the second duke is a boy in Ostergotland, and, of course, there is pneumonic king Stenkill, whose heir, prince Inge is zealous bastard. What do we have here? Prince Inge must not inherit, medium CA must not be implemented. Claimant Eric must either be elected as a king or press the claim by force.

You have but one boon in this situation - an electoral vote for the title of the king. But the duke boy will never support an infidel, while the king has the ability to create a second elector. Nevermind though. If you can create 3 pious Norse duchies in the kingdom (you already have one and a territory of the second, and a chance to expand into the third), you may legally inherit Sweden. This is a very risky plan however. I contemplated it but never implemented. There is another one, better one. There are two real candidates - a legitimate Stenkilling, with powerful and consolidated royal demense, solid allies in Scandinavia, with power and desire to expel the last of true believers from the face of the Earth, and a second one, a non-assuming boy-duke, who owns a single county and has no real power whatsoever.

Give your vote to the duke of Ostergotland, and he will become a weak boy-king with two major vassals who hate his guts, while you will be given many peaceful years to consolidate your power. If you run into some unexpected trouble, you can always press Stenkilling claim on Sweden, adding even more anarchy in the kingdom and resetting crown authority. I myself didn't need to, but pressed my own claim, which was quite easy, since the king barely had demence, Stenkilling, whose power surpassed mine, denied him levies as pretender to the throne, and he didn't have any allies to call into the war. The victory was swift, but after that I had some serious trouble which cost me some territory (and also putting me below the limit for prepped invasions). Then the realm was stable, I had Norway invaded Sjaelland single-county conquered and Faith reformed following some intense raiding and temple-burning.

I've managed to take over sweden as Erik once or twice, but I always get wiped out by my holy war-addicted neighbors. How did you manage to prevent that?

I've managed to take over sweden as Erik once or twice, but I always get wiped out by my holy war-addicted neighbors. How did you manage to prevent that?

Don't know... As far as I can tell, only Denmark and Norway(with their allies) will invade. Last time I played, when I became King, I started plotting to revoke, fighting and imprisoning catholic vassals. At that time, Denmark declared on me, to whom I lost. In the meantime, I let them siege all they want, and the war dragged on for some very long time all the way to -100%. It also prevented Norway from attacking me separately, and I just used my troops to revoke/imprison catholic vassals and raid for money. when the war was over, Norway attacked me, but since I had a truce with Denmark, they only called some welsh or Scottish king, and I was able to beat them. All in all, these holy wars helped me: they gave me +50 opinion with catholic vassals, they ravaged the lands of catholic vassals (which allowed me to stomp them easily) and Denmark cut me in size below the limit for prepared invasion. I had a truce with both neighbors, and while at it, I performed a realm wipe (banished or revoked every vassal), and declared prepared invasion of Norway. After that your only catholic neighbor is Denmark, who'll never attack you since you are now several times bigger and stronger then he is.

So the answer to the initial question is probably: stabilize the realm and declare a prepared invasion on Norway whenever possible (if you're above the limit you may want to grant independence to some vassals)