• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I decided to do a Dutch campaign to finish off 1.13. After a few false starts with Burgundy, Friesland and Utrecht, I actually had a really good start with HOLLAND. It turns out that if attitudes are right, you can get France, Austria and England to back your independence. I also dismantled the Empire after the war of the Protestant League; Burgundy had force-migrated their capital to Namur and been made an Elector, which I decided was bothersome. France and Austria stayed my friends until very late-game, when France decided they wanted the Spice Islands... which I had just spent the last hundred years monopolising. Their mistake, since by that time I had an even higher force-limit than they did.

On this run I got Sinaasappel, World Discoverer, All Your Trade Are Belong To Us, Aggressive Expander, Market Control, Trade Hegemon, Four For Trade, Even Better Than Piet Heyn, and Colonial Management (I used to not play Ironman :p)

Also, for my personal goals, I had 100% land control in The Malaccas, Molucca, Siam and the Philippines and all the African Trade Companies; complete control in all Dutch, Flemish & Walloonian provinces, and all of Colonial Canada & Brazil. I'll be honest, Iceland and Canada happened just for something to do while waiting for Indonesia-related truces to expire.

F0DC5BDFF559035F9CB61F9A77C0062A923BB1F1

The Great Republic of Netherlands (Empire-rank Dutch Republics are awesome).

669470504120A5D2A5AC8C7E6B3472CF3EB3D7E7

Full Empire shot

E96EEF9E94CCE22889BE5B0FE932343433436E17

Europe family photo. Even after I made France spit some of Spain back out they're a total monster.

BCC574031F121C1927AE37309AF8B43100D3A722

ALL THE TRADE BONUSES

83AFF3DF1E37EB499A38DFB8CF0099AA56B16534

Ideas & Trade Companies

6925D725941FC0A004769DF8F67C2954AA8F6599

Trade at home - what you can't see is the Ivory Coast node feeding triple-digits back to the Channel. It's glorious.

51C8DB5EC8E0E2B9C1FC2847E4763ADABEE4D5C2

Ironman Proof

677721CCA0C9382D0B81EF8A455694039C51754B

Shuffling merchants around just for the achievement. Because I can.

And for a bonus, the first proper game I played in Common Sense: Cologne into Westphalia. Nowhere near as awesome, but I did become Emperor and have all my provinces at insane levels of development. Netherlands is a March with a little colony in IRL New England.

F8DC1E814293F238EE6DEE1CDFD465EB47DA2013

Last edited:
Reactions:
What I was up to in 1.13, in no chronological order:

1. Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany

FB74Qna.png

A kind of weird game that one was. Originally I wanted to keep things modest. "Won" the League war by loosing, gave the Catholics their Empire for giving Austria 20 WE, 80 years afetr the war Austria, up to the time one of the major blobs, was no more. Left the HRe immediately afetr surrendeirng, then disbanded it via console because a zombie Empire (if there are no egligible electors the HRE turns hereditary, hereditary HREs can no longer be disbanded) is just no fun. Then I got Hohenzollerns on the thrones of France and Russia - only for me to full in a PU under Russia for a very short bit, in turn getting the generic Walter dynasty on my throne. In 1768 I then still got a PU over France, In 1821 there's a Trastamara on the throne of Provence, a Valois rules in Florence, the Turks are ruled by the Persian Sabet dynasty (who also rules in Delhi), Russia is now pRussia under Hohenzollern, Norway is a Republic for centuries. Also, Tlemcen strong. A weird but fun game overall. RIP Germany.

2. Zazzau

QFn32eH.png

Got bored. I am Catholic.

3. Bavaria

bi1EzWC.png

Burgundy-France with a PU over Aragon scared me out of this game, despite being my ally. Also 'm an Empire despite being so small, which is why I despise the CU-changes coming with Cossacks.

4. Ternate

OBbNL0f.png

I don't understand why people aren't all over the Moluccan minors - easily the strongest OPMs in the game. Still got bored.

5. Burgundy -> France

X5NiPYb.png

Tried out Burgundy after my Bavaria game. Pretty easy, got bored after directly inheriting Brandenburg.

6. Austria -> HRE

Cb63roF.png

Decided to keep things modest and did NOT go after the Hungary PU or vassal feeding. After carving out some nice European borders, I decided to grab India, which I did in about 80 years or so. Didn't wuite manage to convert it all to Catholicism, though. Bonus montrous Livonian Order and Tabarestan going for Shahanshah.

That should've been everything. Maybe I'll finally go revolutionary.

Reactions:
As a farewell to 1.13, and a 'check the lay of the land' for 1.14's 'conquer the Americas' achievement, I opted to go for a No Trail of Tears run. Behold, the Kingdom of Cherokee:

x2VKfgu.jpg

Mexico and Canada (formerly British Mexico and Newfoundland, naturally) are allies. It was a smooth run - I reformed around 1600 off British Mexico and managed to get all but sixteen provinces for the achievement on my own. Could perhaps have been more aggressive in taking up the coast, but didn't want to make myself too big a target for the AI. The sixteen provinces I didn't get were Scottish - six in the Carolinas, easily dispatched once it was a separate colonial nation - British - four up north, became independent in the same war as Mexico and Canada, followed by some alliance cheesery - and French - four down south, two up north. Went British on them and not a single French army landed on my shores.

Bonus pictures of Europe and Asia under the spoiler.

AlmHakv.jpg

Standard France, big Austria, Hungary. Teutonic Order survived - Poland had already been dismembered to OPM status by the time I gained vision in the 1630s.

1nRPapW.jpg

The biggest AI Ottomans I ever saw. The only Livonian Order I ever saw survive this late into the game without me having anything to do with it. Genoa was once pretty much Crimea, too. Bahmanis formed Hindustan in 1735 or so.

Reactions:
my teutonic order campaign
jsdIYBU.jpg

qpILfGb.jpg

quite sure this is what a popes wet dream looks like
YSJDWFo.jpg

achievements: trade hegemon, market control, baltic crusader, a decent reserve
oh and I built the suez canal

Reactions:
S-P, Sicily in Egypt, England owning Guyenne in 19th century... wtf?

The one tag is completed! ALL GLORY TO QING!

But isn't just any one tag..

Its a true one tag, WITHOUT colonial nations, that used to be possible only in very OLD patches.

Well, it IS possible, even in patch 1.13.

Qing is the only nation left alive on the map! With 25k total development..

I only managed to get 7x% of the entire world converted. A true religious one tag proved to be impossible. If you try it as catholic nation in 1.14 (for the new achievement), then it will be LOT easier to do this.

31,5% of the world is not cored by Qing, but most of that 31% are uncored former colony provinces.

I didn't need to core those, as converting them to sunni made their revolt risk go under 0%.

And I couldn't core anything in America, to avoid colonial nations.

Read the aar in my signature if you want to read the after action report on this campaign. Its the Yeren one.

Reactions:
Decided to send 1.13 off with a fairly run-of-the-mill Germany campaign. Nabbed Meissen Porcelain, A Fine Goosestep, and (finally) An Early Reich while I was at it.

4glvt0.jpg

f1wd2c.jpg

11t2wap.jpg

Vassals are Mazovia, Bohemia, Denmark, Schweiz (Switzerland), and Niederlande (Netherlands). Nothing too impressive, but this is all that I set out to do. I like playing tall, it keeps the game a continuous challenge through to the end. Besides, those vassals can field 380,000 soldiers between them, so... y'know.

France PU'd the HRE emperor Bohemia very early in the game, and the two remained inseparable until the late eighteenth century. By some fluke Protestantism became the dominant faith in the Empire, despite: a) there being only two large Protestant nations, and b) myself, being one of them, not fighting in the Thirty Years War. Because there were so few Protestants, I was left as the only eligible elector. Naturally I named myself emperor, and when it was time to form Germany, I simply created a client state, released it, voted for it, and waited. Then I invaded and dismantled the HRE to ensure that it never came back to haunt me.

What about Asia, you might ask? Well, I never touched Expansion or Exploration ideas. I turtled in Germany until 1690, then used the Imperialism CB to take Suez, then lept over to Burma from there. I committed a fair amount of bordergore (a first for me) in China... once I got the achievement, I stopped paying any attention to that half of the world. It was just... so ugly. *shudders*

Hungary was my BFF until they took a tiny piece of Silesia. Britain had my dynasty, but we were only allies for a short period, and I didn't really have any interest in them. Lithuania was once a massive empire spanning much of the east, though they wound up getting partitioned pretty regularly toward the end. France allied Sweden (60,000 soldiers), Tuscany (120,000), Hungary (120,000), and Lithuania (150,000), making them a pretty intense challenge all the way through.

Some fun facts:

1. That Russia that you see is not the result of Muscowy losing land; rather, it was formed by Yaroslavl, and has never lost a war, despite having no allies. It is Catholic - Orthodoxy has been nearly eliminated.

2. I had nothing to do with that Livonian Order. I didn't ally them until they had surpassed 1000 development, and even then I only ever helped them in one war.

3. Apparently if you vassalize a junior PU member, it keeps the monarch that it had before - so when I vassalized Bohemia, it retained its king Louis, the same as France. Only... the one in France died young, while the Bohemian Louis lived into his sixties.

4. If the Pope is your vassal, you can demand that it converts to Protestantism. So for a little while there was a Protestant Papacy. Erm. Yeah.

Anywho, it's 5:30am and I don't feel like finishing this game right before Cossacks is launched, so I'll leave it there. It'll be the first game I've played this far without finishing. Oh well.

Reactions:
Glorius Spanish Empire! Last time i played a major power in the game, been keeping to minor power and opm since then! More of a challange that way!

Attachments

• 2015-06-05_00001.jpg
    2015-06-05_00001.jpg
    577,2 KB · Views: 149

I see uncolonized provinces--shame on you! Lovely Qing, though. Did you release your subjects or just leave the Americas alone until the end?

F6A6B4C0CA370BD104DFEFFE461BB2488AE7B926

This is my biggest nation yet, was a lot of fun. I took most of greece for my bulgarian vassal from austria after they beat down the ottomans (after I had taken care of most of their troops). Not seen on the screenshot, but revolutionary France is occupying most of the new world after the got exiled fairly early and were almost beaten by an also exiled friesland at the start. It was a joy to behold.

I see uncolonized provinces--shame on you! Lovely Qing, though. Did you release your subjects or just leave the Americas alone until the end?

I just took all former colony provinces from colonizers, and took all overextension (aka the native tribes) in the last year.

I just took all former colony provinces from colonizers, and took all overextension (aka the native tribes) in the last year.

Makes sense. That's a lot of OE to sit on even with AE. I suppose your relatively low score is a result of tanking dip and having few merchants for much of the game, as rapid expansion alone is normally enough to make you the top dog in admin and military.