• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The ancient one swiveled quickly on his bar stool at the entrance of @jak7139 .

"Is this really your first time in the bAAR?" @Chac1 was a bit dumbfounded. "But you've been here so much longer than me."

He shifted in his seat and smiled widely, about ready to laugh, "I know this is a bar, but do you have anything for the non-drinkers on tap?"
The ancient one quickly scuttled around the bar to where @coz1 usually stood, looking for a refrigerator. "I know there's something here you might like," he noted as he searched.

Finally, he produced a cold Verners from the floor-level mini-fridge behind the bar, and opened the top. "One of these helped me out considerably after @Macavity116 had me sample some intergalactic drinks. It's ginger ale." He carefully placed the can in front of @jak7139 with a fresh glass he had found, just in case he wanted one. Then he returned to his seat.
"Of course, managing such a project is the issue. And trying to find time to work on it. But it sure seems like a fun idea. If you ever need help or decide to go through with it..." he left the offer unsaid, but implied and decided to switch topics.
"Sounds like we have several volunteer writers, but we need to find the right ringmaster," @Chac1 pointed out.

The ancient one looked back at LD who was now looking a bit confused about all of the fussing about @Chac1 had demonstrated at the entrance of @jak7139 .

LD could sense some hesitancy in @Chac1's voice. Of things wanted to be said, but wasn't. Obviously tobacco was important. He offered, "I don't smoke, as it is. Never have. Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I went thru a phase where I'd have the odd cigar with my scotch. But that was some time ago." He sat back, taking a moment of silence to ponder some of what @Chac1 had said earlier. Light beam? Spells? Magic? Things certainly were different around here these days. Guess that was progress.
"Let me explain a bit, please," he asked with a bit of an anxious note.

"This all has to do with my introduction and the first time I appeared in the bAAR," he explained. "As Mr. Capitalist, noted when she opened the bAAR in 2020, the preference is for the denizens of this spot, the writAARs to stay in character. Although that seems like a loose suggestion these days, I chose to stay true to my name and culture. That introduction will explain my connection to the Chacmool to some extent, LD. And that should explain the spells, magic, and more. Although the light beam is all about @filcat and his persona."

The ancient one now drew his robe about himself and had a sip of the mezcal LD had poured. Four people in the bAAR now and maybe @filcat coming back with doughnuts. (If he manages to see LD's preference on his magical handheld tablet, if he carries one in his backpack.) This was certainly an improvement, he thought. It was a good thing he had swept up first.

"Interactive AARs require a hell of a commitment. They're not for the feint of heart, or the casual contributer. Truth is, the engagment around here is not what it used to be. It could be too many forums with not enough crossover, or a change in culture, cliques or tastes. Don't know. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this is from the guy who was here from the beginning and championed the whole 'get out there, get to know your fellow writers, mingle, and by all means, provide feedback' mantra."
The lack of time to lead or edit such a project is the main reason why I haven't tried to start it myself, honestly.
"My Free Company Books were very structured. They were put together like a novel, with me as the guiding force. The Dungeon Master, so to speak. I knew how the story would go, and what the endgame was. The joy was in getting there. It didn't hinder creativity by any stretch. You could try reading the first post of The Free Company and the Last Bastion of Empire, where I set the table. In addition, I would recommend reading the first post of The Free Company Tavern & "OOC" Thread: Book V for an idea how I set this up, including rules. I'm sure you'll see it's a little more involved than slapping a few posts together." With that, LD sat back and finished his drink. He poured another. Crom! Talking was thirsty work.
"I will go back and read about the Free Company and how it was established," @Chac1 promised. "I enjoy learning about the history of AARland."

"Seems there are at least three writers here who seem up to volunteering to write for a project. Again, don't have the time at the moment due to other commitments. I do understand it takes effort to wrangle such a project though," he continued. Then he sipped some of the mezcal while the magical device replayed the words and thoughts of the others in the bAAR.

That being said, world building is a good topic to discuss - either here or at the SolAARium.

Personally, I think that worldbuilding should serve the story or the characters, not exist for its own sake, unless the entire project is a worldbuilding exercise. I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of others on the subject, though!
"Good to see the interest of @HistoryDude for this. He has brought up writing projects here and elsewhere before. Perhaps the exercise for the group would be about constructing a world and characters? Just a thought," @Chac1 offered.

LD stood tall (with apologies to @coz1). "Wait! What? You're not talking about those pics of me from Howard Days? That one of me standing beside the portrait of Robert E. Howard? That was around 18 years ago. I've aged a bit since then, you know. Though I guess it should be known Crom and me were drinking buddies back in the day."
"The magic tablets and scribe devices that everyone uses can definitely be misleading," the ancient one stated. He was interested in these issues of how people viewed themselves as they advanced in years, without trying to being too cynical or fixated. "Yes, those are the photos, LD. Seems your press and publicists want to keep you youthful."

Then he extended his glass and aimed it just right so it would clink off LD's tumbler before he took another sip.

"To gray hair and wrinkles," the ancient one's voice rose a bit. "Just the costume time assembles for us, not knowing we can be as youthful as our spirit decides."

Jak takes the offered ginger ale from the counter and pops the tab off the can. "Cheers! Thank you."
"Is this really your first time in the bAAR?" @Chac1 was a bit dumbfounded. "But you've been here so much longer than me."
In between sips of his drink, he decides to offer an explanation. "I may have joined these forums in 2016, but I only posted my first AAR in April of 2021. It's almost the three year anniversary, come to think of it. I've seen the baar mentioned, but never had the courage to pop in until now. I think because I discovered the Solaarium yesterday, I also decided to see what this place is about."
"Sounds like we have several volunteer writers, but we need to find the right ringmaster," @Chac1 pointed out.
"That's usually the trouble with any group project. You have many people who are willing to work, but not many are willing to lead." Jak shrugged. "I might be willing to do it, but I'd prefer if one of the more veteran writaars were the manager."
Perhaps the exercise for the group would be about constructing a world and characters? Just a thought," @Chac1 offered.
"Constructing an entire world for just a writing exercise seems excessive. But I might be misunderstanding you? Maybe the exercise is for each writer to craft a portion of the world. And for those parts to then come together to form a whole. I know @HistoryDude did something like that with his Guess the Authaar submission, turning it into his AAR Nordica."

• 2Like
Reactions:
A tall, ruddy faced old man steps through the door to the BAAR from the street and blinks to adjust his eyes to the dimness. Seeing movement inside, he decides to venture further, and takes off his tophat, revealing that his carefully combed white hair matches his moustache. He's dressed as a military officer, in a dark blue uniform, but without insigniae of any kind except for a couple of intriguing medals dangling from his breast. Indeed, it seems that this is a civilian uniform, perhaps indicating some upper functionary or government official.

Stepping up to the bar, he looks around. Seeing no bartender, and taking a hint from the raised glasses of the seated denizens, he slips behind the bar seeking his own drink. Filling a glass with Macallan Scotch -- three fingers, just so he won't have to return so soon -- he finds his way toward a seat near the friendly-seeming conversants.

Smiling, before sitting, he raises his glass in return. "Good evening, dear Sirs. I am Prince Pietr Van Rensselaer, of the German Empire. I, ah..." He looks around. "It's actually been quite some years since I've been here. Erm... To be perfectly honest I don't recall for sure if it's even the same BAAR!" He chuckles, good naturedly. "But it's good to be able to join you today." He sits.

"Oh, I know you're wondering," he anticipates, "why a noble Dutchman such as myself might be a prince in a German Empire. And that is quite a story, indeed. But in brief, let me just say borders change, over time, and my branch of the family ended upon the Prussian side of the border. Now, that's not all that unusual, actually. In the 19th Century... and before, I suppose. Families intermarried and settled in all manner of places, irrespective, necessarily, of borders. Take my good friend Leo von Caprivi, for instance -- a good Modenese family, but born and bred in Prussia, same as I, and very loyal. He was Chancellor, for a time, if you don't know. That was when I was Foreign Minister..." He drifts off in reminiscence momentarily. "For a time... and then again." He ends, wistfully, then smiles and inquires upon the rest.

Greetings and introductions go around, again, and Rensselaer is quite happy to be in such fine company.

"I understand you were talking, LD," he nods to the gentleman, "about the mood and tenor of the Forum, of late. Indeed, I recall a day when things were quite a bit more lively than they are now. But I find the good in everything, and I am still happy to call this region my home. I enjoy my time here. I even am doing some writing, though in the gameplay format -- no time to put together the intricacies of a fiction work these days. Not here on the Forum, anyway.

"No, I do sense things are different. But not hopeless, mind. I wonder if part of it is how many different games there are with activity these days. Back in the day I remember we used to have one game that was newest, and that was where most of the activity was, while the other subforums were active. Just not maybe AS active, because people would gravitate toward the newest game. Now I find that there are more people playing different games. And not just the 4 main games anymore -- not just Crusader Kings or EU or HOI.... No, now I see that there are some people still playing HOI 3 instead of HOI 4, and playing CK II instead of III. Even Victoria 2 instead of V3. I wonder if things are just a bit split up now, so there's not so much of a critical mass. And, of course, there are other games outside of the traditional 4, like Age of Wonders. And much talent is gathered there. And the mods for the major 4 games. Everybody seems to have their own thing and they gravitate to that thing, and may not stray very far outside of it.

"I suppose that may be part of it. Or I may be wrong. Hard to say. Just a thought." Rensselaer thinks to take a draught of the Scotch, and hums happily.

"But I wonder, too, if it might be another thing. I notice most everyone commenting these days is also an authAAR. I..." He seems to think back. "I do not think that was the case a couple of decades back, when I started writing here. I remember there were quite a few people commenting on my Fire Warms story, and reading but only rarely saying hello, who did not have AARs of their own. Keep in mind..." He stopped himself, and chuckled. "Well, I don't have to tell you -- you KNOW!" He smiled. "Writing an AAR is a huge undertaking, and takes your attention off of other folks' work. It takes a special effort to step outside of your own work and read someone else's. I see a number of key figures doing that anyway -- present company definitely included! But I wonder how many writAARs come here and write, and expect readers to come without them venturing forth to comment elsewhere. There was a synergy, I think, that may not be quite as prevalent now, as it was. Perhaps there's a core of authAARs who do this, but it's not as many as in the past. And, meanwile, I sense there are not so many people out there now who are here to read, and learn about the games from the AARs, rather than writing their own."

He harumphed. "But I might be wrong about that, also. It's possible I'm the one who's insulated, and I just don't see the synergy, while it's really there."

"I do try to get out and read the other AARs as often as I can. And I know all of you do as well." He raised his glass. "It's GOOD to get out and share company, eh?" He smiled broadly, and took another draught.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nursing his scotch, LD quietly listened. A couple of fresh faces had arrived over the past few minutes. One he knew, the other @Chac1 had mentioned a short while ago. He made a mental note to check one of @jak7139's AARs when time permitted.

Raising his glass to @Rensslaer, he said, "Welcome to this version of the bAAR, old friend. Participated in any signings lately? I haven't. I hate them." Scratching his chin, he continued, "You know, you have a point about authAARs commenting on authAARs these days, and it being different a couple of decades ago." LD grimaced. A couple of decades? Really been coming here that long? "Come to think of it, many of the people who contributed to my Free Company Books never wrote an AAR. I guess they were content with interactive participation. Your other point is valid, too. There were authAARs who would write their stories and wait for comments, but never bother to read or comment on other works. Then they would wonder why they weren't receiving feedback. Hating to be redundant, but that's where I came in, encouraging engagement and a sense of community." LD saw the blank expressions. "Yeah, I know. 'He does go on, doesn't he?' "

Reaching over to top off his drink, he said, "I think the topic of world building and world building software is a potential subject for the SolAARium. As for an interactive AAR, and I mean the fully interactive kind, I wasn't kidding when I suggested reading the two links I provided. An interactive AAR requires a story, preferably based on some gameplay. Could even be based on an event or two. I find war is a good catalyst. It requires structure, with a clear goal, commitment and rules. There's a reason why the guidelines for interactive AARs are so strict now. Let's just say that several years ago some people abused it and ruined it for everyone else. It can easily go off the rails without a firm hand guiding the project."

Finding the stool uncomfortable, LD moved to one of the plush chairs, but not before taking the bottle of GlenDronach with him.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Now, the bAAR was slowly filling with the long-awaited arrival of @Rensslaer . A handful of folks seemed promising to the ancient one, with the hopes that another would return soon and others might notice this gathering.

Greetings and introductions go around, again, and Rensselaer is quite happy to be in such fine company.
"Renss, I'm so glad you took the plunge," @Chac1 stated cheerily. "We've been chatting about you coming around for a visit for some time. So glad to meet you in character too. Very impressive top hat."
"Constructing an entire world for just a writing exercise seems excessive. But I might be misunderstanding you? Maybe the exercise is for each writer to craft a portion of the world. And for those parts to then come together to form a whole. I know @HistoryDude did something like that with his Guess the Authaar submission, turning it into his AAR Nordica."
The ancient one decided it might be best to jump into some of the meatier conversations, after acknowledging the arrival of @Rensslaer . But first he took a sip of mezcal to give him some warmth.

"Yes, sorry I wasn't clear, @jak7139 ," he responded. "I think that is a perfect way to divide up such a project. I'd be interested in something a bit more wide open than what @KiratRawr is doing with his Himalayan AAR for CK3."
"I think the topic of world building and world building software is a potential subject for the SolAARium. As for an interactive AAR, and I mean the fully interactive kind, I wasn't kidding when I suggested reading the two links I provided. An interactive AAR requires a story, preferably based on some gameplay. Could even be based on an event or two. I find war is a good catalyst. It requires structure, with a clear goal, commitment and rules. There's a reason why the guidelines for interactive AARs are so strict now. Let's just say that several years ago some people abused it and ruined it for everyone else. It can easily go off the rails without a firm hand guiding the project."
"I think I will need to do the required reading before responding much further," @Chac1 replied. "But I think a smaller starting idea could work too, a war or an event. The concept just needs to be big enough for each writer to have some elbow room, and if the responsibility is shared then there isn't the pressure to have something from every person every week. Given the rate of posting on some AARs, this could be a once per month commitment from each writer. Or a bit more if folks were inspired. Sorry to hear folks abused the concept somehow though."
But I wonder how many writAARs come here and write, and expect readers to come without them venturing forth to comment elsewhere. There was a synergy, I think, that may not be quite as prevalent now, as it was. Perhaps there's a core of authAARs who do this, but it's not as many as in the past. And, meanwile, I sense there are not so many people out there now who are here to read, and learn about the games from the AARs, rather than writing their own."
"Ah, yes, on to the topic of engagement, a favorite of mine too," the ancient one agreed and nodded. "I think the questions I have as the newest member of this gathering relate to synergy. How can we as a group foster more synergy? How can we encourage newer folks to come into this space and other spaces meant to build synergy? How do we make them feel welcome? We have two folks here in this discussion who either haven't been in the bAAR for quite a long time -- maybe not even this version of the bAAR -- or this is their first time here. What made them venture in finally? How can we replicate that?"
Finding the stool uncomfortable, LD moved to one of the plush chairs, but not before taking the bottle of GlenDronach with him.
"Something to ponder," the ancient one finished his thought, and decided to follow LD over to the plush chairs. He left @Rensslaer , @jak7139 , and @HistoryDude sitting in the main barroom. He had never ventured into this part of the bAAR not far from the fireplace with its club-like atmosphere and plush chairs. He did notice no one had vacuumed this area for quite some time. He plopped down in one of the chairs, dust noticeably coming up from the surface, and steadied his drink as he pulled his robe about himself. "I hope you don't mind LD that I followed your lead. This is a good change of pace."
"I do try to get out and read the other AARs as often as I can. And I know all of you do as well." He raised his glass. "It's GOOD to get out and share company, eh?" He smiled broadly, and took another draught.
"Glad you are here, Renss!" @Chac1 called back to him at the main bar.

"I do hope @coz1 or that waitress that @Macavity116 knows shows up soon to light the fireplace soon," he wished. "I don't have a lighter or matches, and I wonder what @filcat will say when he returns if it isn't lit."

At that, he gave LD a happy nod, raised his glass again, and took a good long sip of mezcal.

• 5Like
Reactions:
"I think I will need to do the required reading before responding much further," @Chac1 replied. "But I think a smaller starting idea could work too, a war or an event. The concept just needs to be big enough for each writer to have some elbow room, and if the responsibility is shared then there isn't the pressure to have something from every person every week. Given the rate of posting on some AARs, this could be a once per month commitment from each writer. Or a bit more if folks were inspired. Sorry to hear folks abused the concept somehow though."

LD gave nod. "Starting small is what I would do, just to gauge interest and how well it would work. Once again, commitment is a key factor. These AARs can be a time-suck, and unless you are fully on board, well, apathy, boredom or other projects may cause the authAAR to drop out. I cover that eventuality in the rules. Also, it's up to the person running it, and there should be one person running it, to keep the story on course and provide the trigger points for the authAARs to utilize in their posts, keeping it fresh." LD paused to brush dust off his lap, cracked a smile. "We really should complain to management, eh @Chac1 ?"

A further, and casual, observation of the room proved enlightening. "You know, there's some potential here if it's cleaned up. Needs a bit more light, but look, on that wall. All of those bookcases. What's that sign say? Inkwell? There must be a treasure trove of material over there."

LD noted that @Chac1 had something else on his mind. "You pondering what @Rensslaer said about engagement?"

"Ah, yes, on to the topic of engagement, a favorite of mine too," the ancient one agreed and nodded. "I think the questions I have as the newest member of this gathering relate to synergy. How can we as a group foster more synergy? How can we encourage newer folks to come into this space and other spaces meant to build synergy? How do we make them feel welcome? We have two folks here in this discussion who either haven't been in the bAAR for quite a long time -- maybe not even this version of the bAAR -- or this is their first time here. What made them venture in finally? How can we replicate that?"

LD held his glass up in a offhand salute. "That, @Chac1, is a problem that goes back decades. I could list a bunch of reasons, including the fact most people ignore stickied threads, to the point they don't know these particular forums exist. Perhaps we should go on an advertising campaign. You know, when we post feedback, try to work in a mention of the SolAARium, the Inkwell and the bAAR. One at a time or all at once. I mean, the ACA's are advertised, right? It may work, it may not, but what's to lose? Something else that may work, and did work with @jak7139, is keep recommending AARs and authAARs here in the bAAR. They see their name pop up in the Alerts, which could promote curiosity. Next thing you know they come wandering in wondering what this place is all about."

LD shurugged. "Just some random thoughts. Think I'll top off my drink. @Chac1, you good?"

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Between sips of his ginger ale, Jak silently followed the conversation between @Rensslaer , @Lord Durham , and @Chac1. Eventually, he found a moment to chime in.
I wonder if things are just a bit split up now, so there's not so much of a critical mass. And, of course, there are other games outside of the traditional 4, like Age of Wonders. And much talent is gathered there. And the mods for the major 4 games. Everybody seems to have their own thing and they gravitate to that thing, and may not stray very far outside of it.
"This separation..." Jak didn't think that was the right word, but didn't know what else to call it.

"It's definitely not unique to the forum, or even the internet. Perhaps this is just how modern history is deciding to go, with everyone in their own clubs. Sites like Reddit or Discord thrive on their ability to have a different place for everyone. If you like a certain TV show, then you'll join that show's community. This was true even before the internet as well. If you liked a certain sports team, you'd talk about it with others of a similar mindset. Or, you'd join a club (math, chess, etc). I think this is still going on, but it has changed slightly in the digital age. If you go to a party, but then leave after a few minutes, people will still have seen you and noticed you. But if someone from the wider forum or internet visits AARland then leaves, there's no way for us to see that unless they comment (and most people will choose not to comment and read silently).
Let's just say that several years ago some people abused it and ruined it for everyone else. It can easily go off the rails without a firm hand guiding the project."
"Hmm. My curiosity has been piqued to know what happened. But that story is probably best left shelved."
The concept just needs to be big enough for each writer to have some elbow room, and if the responsibility is shared then there isn't the pressure to have something from every person every week. Given the rate of posting on some AARs, this could be a once per month commitment from each writer. Or a bit more if folks were inspired.
"Well, if the ultimate goal is something akin to worldbuilding, then I'm sure each writer will have enough of a scope to create something unique and not step on each others' toes. The difficulties would be trying to coordinate the rate of posting, and also trying to make sure that the different unique stories fit together thematically/stylistically into the wider work. It's not impossible. But would take a lot of effort to get right."
How can we as a group foster more synergy? How can we encourage newer folks to come into this space and other spaces meant to build synergy? How do we make them feel welcome?
"I think AARland does a great job at making people feel welcome. But maybe most newcomers think of this only as a place to post fiction, and don't realize there are places like the baar or Solaarium to discuss writing more deeply. It might also be, that the amount of people who are dedicated (or hobbyist) authors is lower among these newcomers. So going into deeper discussions like that is something they simply aren't interested in."
this is their first time here. What made them venture in finally?
"For me, I just felt confident enough to finally post something. This and the Solaarium feel like places for the veterans of the forum to come and chat. And I still feel like a newcomer in these parts compared to other company," he nodded to @Rensslaer and waved to LD from his position over in the sitting area. "Even people like @HistoryDude, who joined the forum later than me, but has been around longer in AARland, I consider my senior."
"I do hope @coz1 or that waitress that @Macavity116 knows shows up soon to light the fireplace soon," he wished. "I don't have a lighter or matches, and I wonder what @filcat will say when he returns if it isn't lit."
"Doesn't this place have some sort of magic?" Jak queried. "Can we 'wish' the fireplace on?"

He set down his nearly empty can and stood from the barstool. Rubbing his hands together in some mimicked magical gesture he shouted loudly, "Fireplace! Light yourself!"

He drank the last of his Vernors for luck, then skipped behind the bar to look for another can.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
"Doesn't this place have some sort of magic?" Jak queried. "Can we 'wish' the fireplace on?"
As if by magic, the fire sparked into life. By the time any fellow patrons care to notice, DB has set down the poker and returned their attention, re-ensconced in their armchair, to an indomitably large pile of papers marked DAVID LEWIS, 1968 (JAN-MAR): TOP SECRET.

One senses they will not be seen again for some time…

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
As if by magic, the fire sparked into life. By the time any fellow patrons care to notice, DB has set down the poker
Jak's back is turned to the rest of the room, trying to find a fresh can of Vernors. When he finds one, he turns around and is happily surprised to see the fireplace crackling away. He looks around the bar's walls and ceiling, nodding. It is magic! He walks over to the fireplace and stares at it blissfully.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
LD notes a flickering glow from the next room. The fireplace. "Well, I'll be damned." Standing, he wanders over to the massive wall of bookshelves labelled Inkwell and starts to update the long out of date index.

• 1Love
Reactions:
"Magic! Even more magic on display than usual!" @Chac1 exclaimed as he bolted out of the comfy but dusty padded chair. He rushed over to the fireplace, another spot he had never explored in the bAAR before.

As if by magic, the fire sparked into life. By the time any fellow patrons care to notice, DB has set down the poker and returned their attention, re-ensconced in their armchair, to an indomitably large pile of papers marked DAVID LEWIS, 1968 (JAN-MAR): TOP SECRET.

One senses they will not be seen again for some time…
Jak's back is turned to the rest of the room, trying to find a fresh can of Vernors. When he finds one, he turns around and is happily surprised to see the fireplace crackling away. He looks around the bar's walls and ceiling, nodding. It is magic! He walks over to the fireplace and stares at it blissfully.
"You've done it, Jak. Well done," @Chac1 stated with excitement. " @filcat will be so pleased, if he ever returns."

He gathered his robe around himself, still holding his glass of mostly finished mezcal. He stuck out one thin tanned hand and warmed himself. The mezcal and the fire were a good cure to the damp, musty feeling in the bAAR. He realized as more people entered, more magic and warmth seemed to appear. (Don't get all emotional, he thought, don't make the bAAR into a Disney movie. This writAAR thinks it needs to be more like Casablanca.)

"My only disappointment was @DensleyBlair was here and gone in a flash," he noted. "I'm never quick enough to catch them before they pop to somewhere else in AARland."
LD notes a flickering glow from the next room. The fireplace. "Well, I'll be damned." Standing, he wanders over to the massive wall of bookshelves labelled Inkwell and starts to update the long out of date index.
Then, the ancient one turned to look and admire LD's handiwork near the bookshelves, another area that was new to him.

"Thanks so much for this, LD," he said with gratitude. "Never tried the index because it was outdated, but not anymore! However, I am a user of the Inkwell."

The ancient one then raised his glass as if to give LD a salute, and with a flourish finished what was left of the mezcal. "Shall we rejoin some of the topics you have raised, like the Inkwell?"
LD held his glass up in a offhand salute. "That, @Chac1, is a problem that goes back decades. I could list a bunch of reasons, including the fact most people ignore stickied threads, to the point they don't know these particular forums exist. Perhaps we should go on an advertising campaign. You know, when we post feedback, try to work in a mention of the SolAARium, the Inkwell and the bAAR. One at a time or all at once. I mean, the ACA's are advertised, right? It may work, it may not, but what's to lose? Something else that may work, and did work with @jak7139, is keep recommending AARs and authAARs here in the bAAR. They see their name pop up in the Alerts, which could promote curiosity. Next thing you know they come wandering in wondering what this place is all about."
@jak7139 then wandered over to add to the conversation.
Sites like Reddit or Discord thrive on their ability to have a different place for everyone. If you like a certain TV show, then you'll join that show's community. This was true even before the internet as well. If you liked a certain sports team, you'd talk about it with others of a similar mindset. Or, you'd join a club (math, chess, etc). I think this is still going on, but it has changed slightly in the digital age. If you go to a party, but then leave after a few minutes, people will still have seen you and noticed you. But if someone from the wider forum or internet visits AARland then leaves, there's no way for us to see that unless they comment (and most people will choose not to comment and read silently).
"I'm in favor of advertising, if the mods would allow it. Perhaps a suggestion would be that after a particular pause in the interactivity in the bAAR or elsewhere... perhaps after a week or more... then it would be acceptable to post a message in the main forum that drinks are being poured," Chac suggested. "I have suggested privately to some folks that they post the awAARds notices on Discord to draw in other interest. However, I have gone over to the Discord site a few times and I just find it empty. No real engagement. I do like the idea of tagging folks, LD as some of us have recently done in this thread. But I also think, Jak can explain better that there is an intimidation factor to come in for the first time. I know I felt that way when I first arrived here, and I'm still newer than anyone who has popped into the bAAR in the past six months or so."
"For me, I just felt confident enough to finally post something. This and the Solaarium feel like places for the veterans of the forum to come and chat. And I still feel like a newcomer in these parts compared to other company," he nodded to @Rensslaer and waved to LD from his position over in the sitting area. "Even people like @HistoryDude, who joined the forum later than me, but has been around longer in AARland, I consider my senior."
"Might we shift the discussion back to ideas of a group project for a few minutes?" Chac asked.
"Well, if the ultimate goal is something akin to worldbuilding, then I'm sure each writer will have enough of a scope to create something unique and not step on each others' toes. The difficulties would be trying to coordinate the rate of posting, and also trying to make sure that the different unique stories fit together thematically/stylistically into the wider work. It's not impossible. But would take a lot of effort to get right."
LD paused, not sure if he was losing the captive audience with his tales of yore. Or woe. It was so easy to get into the 'get off my lawn' old age mindset. Taking a stiff drink, he continued anyway. "My Free Company Books were very structured. They were put together like a novel, with me as the guiding force. The Dungeon Master, so to speak. I knew how the story would go, and what the endgame was. The joy was in getting there. It didn't hinder creativity by any stretch. You could try reading the first post of The Free Company and the Last Bastion of Empire, where I set the table. In addition, I would recommend reading the first post of The Free Company Tavern & "OOC" Thread: Book V for an idea how I set this up, including rules. I'm sure you'll see it's a little more involved than slapping a few posts together."
"I have taken the time to do some back-reading now," Chac responded. "The Free Company is really well named: free wheeling, engaging and a lot of interactivity, with folks posting on top of each other, not with long gaps. I can see that takes some moderation. As you described, LD, tag-team writing with a Dungeon Master. Not sure the current culture could pull that off, which is what ties these conversations together. My idea would be more like a simple anthology series. A small group writes around a central idea/war/event/world/whatever. One person edits and coordinates (and likely writes some too). That would be easier to pull off today. Maybe over time that group could evolve into the tag-team writing of yore. And one more point to add: isn't the construct of the bAAR like tag-team writing, but without a moderator?"

The ancient one looked at both of them and he could see they were thinking.

"Hold those thoughts," he encouraged them. "I'm dry and need to go back to the bar for a refill. As you know, it's self-service in this place these days...."

• 3Like
Reactions:
Protons meet, they begin their dance of collision, fusing into a deuteron the process ends in producing the positron and the electron neutrino, and the positron meets another electron, the gamma rays are produced with the annihilation, and it takes billions of years in terms of the time variable for that meeting to happen.

You draw one more from the cigarette, breathe out the smoke, and wait for one more moment, to watch the light escaping the horizon, to see the night conquering the sky, to understand it one more time, that it is always night, with the pockets of life, small and little and almost insignificant compared to the enormous size of the darkness, and yet in that relative nothingness, its majestic existence preserves all the magnificence so you can create this.

The convoluted structure of the sentence makes you angry, yet exactly in that form is what leaves you happy, for it is not yours any more once you create, it does not belong to by whom it is read, but it lives by itself, hence you are certain, that it will be possessed regardless by anyone in any way.

You throw the extinguished cigarette into the bin, pick the bags, and enter the bAAR.

"There you go, mate. Bon appetit," you leave the bag of berliner in front of @Lord Durham, "hang on, let me bring some plates from the kitchen."
berliner.jpg
You nod to those in the bAAR, a silent hello as you pass by. You head towards the kitchen door, enter, check around, leave the bags on one of the tables, then begin to take the purchases out, grouping and sorting and placing on the shelves, into the cupboards, into the refrigerator.

When the deuteron catches another proton, their love produces the helium isotope, and that meeting happens within only seconds. Centuries pass, and another isotope type of their own is produced by the two heliums. From there the reactions branch, and further elements are produced as a result, but the initial chain is the major contributor for the actual energy release and radiance. Yet it takes tens of thousands of years for that radiance to reach the surface from the core, the odyssey of the photon.

You come back to the hall with the plates, place one in front of LD, then leave the rest on one of the shelves behind the counter. Only then you see some of the words lingering in the air of infinity.

"Ah, that's more like it. Lacandon branch of Yucatec in Mayan family. Ki'ichkelem, @Chac1."

You see the questioning looks of LD.

"Na ja, was wir hier haben hat keine Löcher. Es schmeckt gut, oder?" then you see the aars Chac had listed.

"Beautiful; lists, endless lists. I can contribute, but it may take time. Soon, let's say, all right?" then you make your way to your table back at the corner, the mess, the table light, the bags, the luggages, the pouches, the sacks, all are still there, "yeah, about lists and listing and writing in lists; I can explain that also, but it would be a repetition of what I said before, and it may take some more time, so for another round. But in short, I can give a couple references, Confessions of a Young Novelist, Umberto Eco, 2011. Also, La Vertigine della Lista, 2009, though that one is arguably too obvious."

Now the radiation starts from the photosphere, then through the chromosphere the electromagnetic emissions travel into the transition layer and the corona, and the photon is emitted, and its voyage to the surface of the observer takes about four hundred ninety-eight seconds, and this creates the question; when the sky of the night is watched, it is the history of the universe that is seen, then what is the now of those stars and worlds spining around them in the far and away?

You sit by your table back at the corner, "It is Ру́сский Станда́рт, black," you clear up some of the mess in front of you; it seems hopeless, but at least you try, while continuing over what you can catch up from the floating words in the air: "Times change; funny words, as the entropy does not listen to the consciousness of organisms, it does not care, it does not wait, but only increases. I was, I have been, and ostensibly still, am a lurker," then you remember that you told the story of yours many times before, too many times that now it makes you extremely uncomfortable, yet you still continue, "anyway; I have been a lurker since about the days of eu2, and only to check the bug reports; the aars were scarce else hard to find, then the aarland was formed, or at least I realised it after only a long time; then it evolved, then it got bigger, larger, cosier, and I did not register at all, depite enjoying all those words of the stories from innumerable worlds. Not registered, until one day the forum asked -forced- to register in order to check the bug reports for eu4; and after that I was still not engaging, then a couple of posts, then a couple more, then a post about ck3, then its mysterious transfer to ck3-aarland, then some unrelated more posts at the forums, then my wanton desire to delete all and unregister and leave the forum, then my incomprehensible decision to keep the post that was transfered to ck3-aarland, then - oh this takes too long; in the end I stayed, and that was during the pandemic," and you stop abruptly.

Only after a couple moments you continue, "Yeah. The pandemic hit. Anyway; I caught up with some of the aars that I knew from back then, and I knew the old-bAAR before, and this new place too; and it did not have that much action for a couple of months at that time three years ago. I decided to post, and it is a question that I am still unable to answer, the reason for me to enter the bAAR. None of the answers satisfy, so I stopped questioning," and you breathe out.

Another breath, and the mess on the table is still dominant despite your best efforts, then you continue nevertheless, "Tja. Back then on my first post I mentioned about it; the vodka is not welcomed in this establishment, therefore I brought my emergency-flasks later on; since the bar-tender had left the building, it is not much of a secret pleasure of mine any more, though still not on the menu. Keeping the traditions on," and you smile, "and if you think this long, irrelevant, unnecessary self-explanation is all about vodka, I will try again: Declaring that the times change is by itself redundant; it was already a change in habits for this forum to form, this aarland to emerge, this wonderful part of the net to exist. The rate of change may vary per person, yet it is consistent. It will oscillate from one point on the spectrum to the other, and there may be more, else no one, yet the words will live by themselves." You wait, then acknowledge, "But yeah, it is wonderful when more are around."

You feel warmer; you look at the fireplace, smile at the wild dance of the flames, then nod at @jak7139 and @DensleyBlair, "Magic. Cheers mate." Then you see more of the magic, the words glide slowly; you turn to @HistoryDude.
I have not seen the film.
"No worries, the book is so much more that is beyond the wildest expectations, and when the series are read and the words collide and the worlds emerge, then the taste will live forever."

You sort out some more of your mess, it is getting deeper in its chaos, but you continue, try, struggle, wrestle, fight, battle, and never give up, and at the same time still giving quick looks at the words buoyancing around, left from the recent past.

"Yeah, the interactive works. I apologise, I have no intentions to participate, nor any willingness to read those; only a few of them are appealing, but then stories catch my interest more, so I cannot contribute much to the discussion; bon voyage to all in their journeys who would like to make such an endevaour into the pages."

Then you see a couple of words more, and your heart beats faster in the excitement.
The Dungeon Master, so to speak.
"LD, mate; we were friendly strangers before, but now we are eternal friends evermore," and your dice are seen on the table, with the books second, third, fifth editions, the fourth is meh, talking about crawling in the dungeons, flying with the dragons, and also the other variant of finding paths, and tomes of spells, and arts of thieves, beside the arms and shields of warriors, alongside the manuals on monsters, and what more.

Then you shake your head, return from the dreams, and focus on the mess in front of you.

"By the way, about the writing and the creative process; I write when the music is heard in the words drawn by the continuous ink of the pen, or the near-dimensionless point of the graphite from the pencil, else typed on the pages through electronic signals transmitted through strokes of fingers on the keyboard," and your head begins to move with the rhythm, "yes; with, by, as, when the music is heard; therefore, here I am."

[*]

[*] Rock You Like A Hurricane, from the album Love at First String by Scorpions (1984)
Edit: Added missing words.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Signalman re-enters the bAAR, but doesn't take a seat right away. He looks from one member of the bAAR staff to another, and eventually finds the person he is looking for. Waitress Erin pauses as the Signalman whispers a message into her ear. She nods and then goes back to work. The Signalman steps away and notices the recent changes around the bAAR.

The Signalman slowly tours the bookshelves, looking very impressed as he admires the updated index and newfound connection to the SolAARium.

"This place has gotten a lot bigger since the last time I was here, but I do love the sight of a well-maintained library. My compliments and thanks for your work, LD. It's a pleasure to meet you as well."

The Signalman moves to the logbook Stellaris AARs, opens it to his own Inkwell page, and proudly marks his latest AAR as "completed."

• 3Like
Reactions:
This writAAR thinks it needs to be more like Casablanca.)
Jak hears, senses, @Chac1 's thoughts. He gives another of his own: Well for that we'd need a piano. And probably some gambling tables as well hidden in the back. But I think we do have a jukebox.

Despite not knowing where it is, Jak knows it exists. Somehow, he finds it, the elusive music player. He slots in a few coins and selects a track. He pushes the DO NOT DISTURB option on the machine. Only those who want to have some atmosphere will hear the music play, so the other patrons with their reading won't be disturbed. He comes over to where @Chac1 is seated to talk to him while As Time Goes By starts playing.
"Shall we rejoin some of the topics you have raised, like the Inkwell?"
"I second that. To tie this into the overall discussion about AARland and engagement, how many people do you think know about the Inkwell? It's a stickied thread like this too. Maybe it has more visibility because it's in people's signatures?"
My idea would be more like a simple anthology series. A small group writes around a central idea/war/event/world/whatever. One person edits and coordinates (and likely writes some too). That would be easier to pull off today.
"Probably, like with interactive AAR's, it would be best if this first attempt was kept to a limited focus. I agree that an anthology or a series of vignettes could work rather well. Everybody is just given a set of guidelines and then told to write a scene/event by X date."
Declaring that the times change is by itself redundant; it was already a change in habits for this forum to form, this aarland to emerge, this wonderful part of the net to exist. The rate of change may vary per person, yet it is consistent.
Jak thinks for a moment. "I can see that. From our position here, it is just harder to see the change until it has already happened, even if we know the change is happening in general. Just like how no one feels the Earth spinning, even though we are all living on it. It's harder to understand when you're in the middle of it."
"No worries, the book is so much more that is beyond the wildest expectations, and when the series are read and the words collide and the worlds emerge, then the taste will live forever."
"I've never read Dune. But always heard it was good (or at least influential). I got the first book for Christmas, but haven't had time to pick it up just yet. And I'm holding off on watching any of the movies until then. Glad to hear your positive thoughts on it @filcat."

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Now, the bAAR is almost what it should be....
@Macavity116 has found the staff somewhere in the maze of hallways outside of the common area. So glad he appeared to take care of that, the ancient one thought.
LD has made some renovations and both @filcat and @jak7139 have found the jukebox, and perhaps some other audio-visual system that grabbed everyone's attention and momentarily removed the sports and games from the magical screens all over the bAAR during filcat's exit.
Plus plenty of conversations buzzing....
"Ah, that's more like it. Lacandon branch of Yucatec in Mayan family. Ki'ichkelem, @Chac1."
Even though it appears @filcat has come and gone (what an exit!) the ancient one thinks to leave an electronic message hanging in the air for his next entrance (or when he lurks to see it): Yuumbo'otik honrar in t'aano'. Teech jump'éel pixan sijnáalil.
oh this takes too long; in the end I stayed, and that was during the pandemic
The newest denizen of the bAAR, and likely the most ancient, appreciated the origin story of filcat in the bAAR. Quite an entrance as usual.
The bar tender’s directive addressing those who live by vodka, showing them the door
Then there is that good explanation about vodka. It's a good thing I'm drinking mezcal, the ancient one thought. He was glad no staff or bartenders were around to enforce the old rules when they had been discussing vodka. Then he asked one of the wait staff to give him one more round as he went to hunt up @Macavity116 .
The Signalman re-enters the bAAR, but doesn't take a seat right away. He looks from one member of the bAAR staff to another, and eventually finds the person he is looking for. Waitress Erin pauses as the Signalman whispers a message into her ear. She nods and then goes back to work. The Signalman steps away and notices the recent changes around the bAAR.
The Signalman moves to the logbook Stellaris AARs, opens it to his own Inkwell page, and proudly marks his latest AAR as "completed."
"Congratulations on your hard work, Signalman," @Chac1 told him. "That's quite the AAR. Had me reading with interest and it's usually not a genre I embrace. Well done."
"Probably, like with interactive AAR's, it would be best if this first attempt was kept to a limited focus. I agree that an anthology or a series of vignettes could work rather well. Everybody is just given a set of guidelines and then told to write a scene/event by X date."
Then the ancient one pivoted and saw Jak in the area with the bookshelves and padded chairs. This area was benefiting from the warmth of the fireplace.

"I'm in total agreement," he nodded. "Once we find the right leader of the writing group, I'd be happy to help."
"I've never read Dune. But always heard it was good (or at least influential). I got the first book for Christmas, but haven't had time to pick it up just yet. And I'm holding off on watching any of the movies until then. Glad to hear your positive thoughts on it @filcat."
Now, @jak7139 was interacting with the opinions @filcat had left hovering magically in the room.

"Even though this new film series gets the spirit of the book, filcat is right, it is not the book. The book is too much even for this successful series, in my opinion," @Chac1 . "That first book is a classic."
then leave the rest on one of the shelves behind the counter.
The ancient one appreciates the dessert that filcat left behind. He eyes the plate, looking for one that didn't have a filling and not too much sugar on the top. He found one that looked the plainest, something more like a sopapilla. He took that one and wrapped it carefully in a napkin. Then he downed all of the mezcal in one gulp. He walked back to the main barroom and gave his glass to the staffer now working near the bar.
Somehow, he finds it, the elusive music player. He slots in a few coins and selects a track. He pushes the DO NOT DISTURB option on the machine. Only those who want to have some atmosphere will hear the music play, so the other patrons with their reading won't be disturbed. He comes over to where @Chac1 is seated to talk to him while As Time Goes By starts playing.
"Appreciated the musical interlude, Jak," he called out and waved. "Much writing and curating to do, so I too must be off. Thanks for getting that jukebox to work. I like that setting you found."
[*] Rock You Like A Hurricane, from the album Love at First String by Scorpions (1984)
But he also appreciated what filcat had left behind too. Two classics. Very different. No way to top either. But it was time to leave the bAAR behind. He found some coins and put them into the slot of the jukebox, then he strolled out into the middle of the Detroit night with different music filling his head.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"It's not a trick, gents. Anyone can light the fire. There's a book of matches right there on the mantle!" coz1 laughed.

He cleaned off a few spills to the counter with the fabled Dirty Rag (TM) and smiled to the patrons, "It's great to see the room filled. But I'm not a bAARtender anymore. I'll get you a drink, but it has always been first come, first serve."

coz lit a heater and mused why @filcat needed to leave the room to smoke, "And an interactive thing could be fun. LD has run several successful ones...I was part of two...and I bet some would enjoy it!"

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
"Might we shift the discussion back to ideas of a group project for a few minutes?" Chac asked.

"I have taken the time to do some back-reading now," Chac responded. "The Free Company is really well named: free wheeling, engaging and a lot of interactivity, with folks posting on top of each other, not with long gaps. I can see that takes some moderation. As you described, LD, tag-team writing with a Dungeon Master. Not sure the current culture could pull that off, which is what ties these conversations together. My idea would be more like a simple anthology series. A small group writes around a central idea/war/event/world/whatever. One person edits and coordinates (and likely writes some too). That would be easier to pull off today. Maybe over time that group could evolve into the tag-team writing of yore. And one more point to add: isn't the construct of the bAAR like tag-team writing, but without a moderator?"

The ancient one looked at both of them and he could see they were thinking.

"Hold those thoughts," he encouraged them. "I'm dry and need to go back to the bar for a refill. As you know, it's self-service in this place these days...."

LD smiled wide and began to speak, but @Chac1 wandering to the bar temporarily spoiled his 'eureka' moment. He glanced over to the bookshelves.

The Signalman slowly tours the bookshelves, looking very impressed as he admires the updated index and newfound connection to the SolAARium.

"This place has gotten a lot bigger since the last time I was here, but I do love the sight of a well-maintained library. My compliments and thanks for your work, LD. It's a pleasure to meet you as well."

"Likewise, @Macavity116. The index was badly out of date. Took quite a while, but at least it's up to snuff. I haven't had the opportunity to visit the Stellaris forums yet, but I'll get to it. I'll have to check out your work."

"There you go, mate. Bon appetit," you leave the bag of berliner in front of @Lord Durham, "hang on, let me bring some plates from the kitchen."

Returning to the suddenly busy bar, he noted the box of berliner donuts and accompanying plates. "There you go, mate. Bon appetit,"

@filcat, my man, LD thought. These would go with the pot of coffee he'd soon be downing, after all of the scotch he'd imbibed. He sat on a stool and listened intently to thoughts on lurking, lists and the works of Gary Gygax and Frank Herbert. "I've read Dune a couple of times," LD offered. "Plus the sequels: Messiah, Children, God Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse, and the spinoff books co-authored by his son Brian and Kevin J. Anderson. Some are better than others, obviously. Deep reads, though. Saw Dune 2 yesterday. Excellent, if about 15 minutes too long. The third act is kind of slow, and Chani becomes really irritating in the final act. Still, it's another brilliant film by Canadian Denis Villenueve."

Suddenly, the opening chords of Rock You Like a Hurricane startle him. He hadn't remembered seeing a jukebox, though it didn't exclude the fact there wasn't one. There were those that hadn't known about the parlour and the library, at first. There was still much to explore in the bAAR.

But it was time to leave the bAAR behind. He found some coins and put them into the slot of the jukebox, then he strolled out into the middle of the Detroit night with different music filling his head.

Seeing @Chac1 leaving the bAAR, LD stepped into the brisk night air. "Something you mentioned earlier," LD began. "About the bAAR being a form of unmoderated tag-team project. Well, you hit the nail on the head. I was wondering if anyone would ken to that, after all my talk of the Free Company and interactive writing. You see, the original bAAR from the early days of EU was an offshoot of the FC. It was started by a lad named Rictus as a place for us to hang out and discuss, drink, chat, drink, recommend AARs, drink. You get the idea. The original bAAR was a whopping 83 pages of interaction. It finally closed for renovations. A new bAAR opened shortly after and ran for another 56 pages." He jerked a thumb at the bAAR entrance. "So, it's gratifying to see the legacy of this tag-team approach still exists to this day."

@Chac1 nodded, probably sick of hearing it, LD thought. But he had one more thing to say in reference to @Chac1's comment about a simple anthology series. "I've done something like that, you know. It was a more focused series with a handful of writAARs. It's called A Collaborative History of Genoa. The idea was to tell a history of Genoa from differing viewpoints, varying from the Doge, to the generals, admirals, merchants, peasants, the enemy and so on. I ran the game and made notes, then passed the notes to the other writAARs. There were five of us in total. Each of us decided what event we would write about. It ran for some 12 pages before we ran out of steam. Still, it was unique for its time. Food for thought, you know. Anyway, I can see you're eager to be off. I think I'll grab some coffee and a donut or two. Goodnight."

Re-entering the bAAR, he spotted @coz1 for the first time. Seating himself, he asked, "Where's the coffee kept, old friend?"

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
You check the backpacks behind the table at the corner. Fortunate this time you are, the pouches are easily found, then you grab them, stand up, walk to the counter, get behind, and begin to set up the coffee machine.
"I've got the coffee mate," then you browse the shelves under the counter, "if only I can find proper cup to drink."

You check the filter, take the portable out, dump the now dried any residuals left, put the coffee from the pouches, then take the tray out, wash it up in the basin and place it back, check the water levels, they are all ready, and finally press the power on.

"Huh, the jukebox. There was not any when entertained the idea back about two years ago, but yours truly here could not resist for any longer without it."

The machine works in screams, yet boiling, steaming, grinding, flashing, jetting, pouring in the expected way.

"There are not enough words in my vocabulary to define the value of the books for me," turning back to the bar while waiting for the machine to finish up, and checking one more drawer under the counter, and there they are, the cups. You take one, clean it up in the basin, then ready it on the counter, and only then you realise you have been behind the counter all this time, and that is uncomfortable. You exit and head towards your table.

"The film is fine, and incredibly popular, that is fascinating, but it is three hours too short, at the least," and your eyes are wide without any implication of any joke.
"Yeah, I'm serious."

You reach the corner, sit by the table, and turn to @coz1;
coz lit a heater and mused why filcat needed to leave the room to smoke,
"Allowed or not, I will prefer to go outside to enjoy the moment of break," then you stop abruptly, *cough*, "sorry mate, the smoke makes it blurry, hard to see your words."

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
"The film is fine, and incredibly popular, that is fascinating, but it is three hours too short, at the least," and your eyes are wide without any implication of any joke.
"Yeah, I'm serious."

LD clasps the steaming cup of black gold, cocks an eyebrow at @filcat as the game wizard hurries from behind the bar like a man chased by swarms of rabid badgers. "Correct me if I misunderstood, but are you saying Dune 2 should have been 5 hours and 45 minutes long instead of 2 hours and 45 minutes? Hmmm. Well, I suppose they could have added some Mentat stuff. They were pretty well ignored in this version. Anyway, there will be a third film based on Dune Messiah. Eventually." Taking a healthy sip, he immediately burnt his tongue. "Ouch, dammit!"

The man turns to the bartender. "I'll take a ginger ale, please and thank you."

He then returns to the discussion of a group project. "An anthology series sounds good to me. As long as we have a single world (or galaxy/universe, if we're going with the Stellaris idea), different writAARs can focus on different ideas and gradually populate that world. Maybe there could be occasional crossover? On the other hand, we could also have a single topic (or prompt) within our world, although that would require more constrained writing..."

• 1Like
Reactions: