• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations for finishing so ahead of the planned schedule! From now on if you need some project management references on your CV I guess you can just put a link to this :D

And thanks for the AARlander pointer, I'd completely missed that it was back in business.

It might be noob but at the start of the AAR why did he go for the poor North African territories(Algiers) instead of W. Europe?

In the 1400's North African territories cost 1BB per province using the Holy War CB. Western Europe doesn't get that cheap (in terms of BB per province) until after 1700. The limited resource is BB not gold (over the 420 years of the game - I know it doesn't feel that way early on) so I needed to take provinces as cheaply as possible.

Wars in Western Europe were to eliminate possible colonial competitors and gain cores. Wealth had to wait.

In the 1400's North African territories cost 1BB per province using the Holy War CB. Western Europe doesn't get that cheap (in terms of BB per province) until after 1700. ...
Wars in Western Europe were to eliminate possible colonial competitors and gain cores. Wealth had to wait.

It was silly question of me! Now that I am through half of the topic I can see the great potential what an excellent player can do with England. :)

In my recent England game I did the classic conquer France->form HRE but it's much better to isolate colonizers and go for Holy wars and the BB-free hordes early.

Last edited:
One thing I've wondered about throughout this entire thing: Seeing as you must've kept pretty solid control of the Papacy during the entire game, why didn't you make use of Excommunication casus bellis? Was it simply because you were so tied up with holy wars before 1650 anyway?

One thing I've wondered about throughout this entire thing: Seeing as you must've kept pretty solid control of the Papacy during the entire game, why didn't you make use of Excommunication casus bellis? Was it simply because you were so tied up with holy wars before 1650 anyway?

Probably violated the no cheese rule. Also, I don't think it gives you infamy reduction unless you actually ANNEX the country.

So he probably was not in control of the papacy all the time untill after 1650, its the catholic provinces that count for cardinal chance, he may have had alot but so did bohemia Milan and a few others. Better that prawn answers though, this is all speculation :p

His post makes much more sense if you imagine he quoted Xarxos instead of SirKaid.

Gruzmog, if you play for WC as a catholic country you're not doing it right if you don't control papacy most of the period. You get it earlier if you straight rush to muslim lands instead of the way Prawn did his WC. Granted he "lost" some infamy reduction in terms of cardinals early game, saved that and much much more doing all the colonizing himself instead.

I'm fairly cenrtain he started being the curia controller around the time he moved his main focus away from Europe and didn't lose it at any point.

His post makes much more sense if you imagine he quoted Xarxos instead of SirKaid.

Gruzmog, if you play for WC as a catholic country you're not doing it right if you don't control papacy most of the period. You get it earlier if you straight rush to muslim lands instead of the way Prawn did his WC. Granted he "lost" some infamy reduction in terms of cardinals early game, saved that and much much more doing all the colonizing himself instead.

I'm fairly cenrtain he started being the curia controller around the time he moved his main focus away from Europe and didn't lose it at any point.

I highly doubt it since its too random for that, bohemia and milan were too big to never take the curia. Also how would you get it sooner if you go for the muslim provinces? Only catholic provinces count towards cardinal chance so untill mass conversions start rolling in, you will be slower. But as prawnstar never specified it, we can not know.

I thought only Catholic provinces in EUROPE count?
They are just much more likely to get the cardinal (same for higher taxes) but extraeuropean provinces can get cardinals, too. Never seen a daimyo or exilant cardinal?

And yes, excommunication does only reduce the infamy costs, if the province taken is of your culture group, which doesnt help at all as England.

I highly doubt it since its too random for that, bohemia and milan were too big to never take the curia. Also how would you get it sooner if you go for the muslim provinces? Only catholic provinces count towards cardinal chance so untill mass conversions start rolling in, you will be slower. But as prawnstar never specified it, we can not know.

Yes it's random, but going over the first 100 years of the AAR by 1450 England was bigger in europe than the 2 combined. Going after muslim provinces helps you since you don't have to take over 10 infamy peace deals in order to gain something signicant from the war. "Untill mass conversions start rolling in" phrase makes me quite amused, you make it sound like you take you take whole North Africa before you send a single missionary...

Whoa! Necro debate :) Now what can I remember?

Excommunication doesn't look that much use to me since it's limited to a pretty small number of provinces. Also, it lacks the certainty of Holy War, I know I can use Holy War at any time up to 1650 and there's no way I'd want to run out of BB and targets even for a month.

Cardinal numbers only became rock solid late in the game - remember high BB costs Cardinals so every peace deal spike knocked my numbers right down and they only rebuilt slowly as BB burned. I don't know the exact mechanics but in practice I treat Cardinals as Europe only - seems to work.

Conversions - I struggled to get going as the economy was too weak. Ideally yes the missionaries would be in position from day one of the occupation but I had to wait some decades before I got the three (approx) missionaries, three (approx) conversion thing going on.

Prawn, you have any ambition to do another WC before EU IV?

I personally would love to see something from Ottomans, but as buddharebellion is already doing one ( although in 5.1 and not 5.2b ) I guess the next best thing would be Mamluks. In buddha's AAR there has been some discussion if that WC is even possible without going over the infamy limit and generally not using "iffy" tactics.

I don't think there'll be another AAR very soon (although I've said that before :))

I have upgraded to 5.2 and played a few decades with the Ottomans but didn't find it much fun. Currently playing Dom3 and just signed up for my first MP game here on the forum. Mind you that'll probably only need a week to get eliminated in :) More seriously my partner is very unwell and work is grim, redundancies and people on long term sick. My job is apparently safe but my workload is getting silly...
_