• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So what you're saying is he better not raise tea taxes?

Actually the Americans were angry the British lowered the tax on tea, not raised it. Because the americans made money on selling tea and the taxes on it went to them and not the crown, by lowering the taxes the american seller's and colonial governments made less money selling to the Brit's who were the only people they were allowed to sell to.

Actually the Americans were angry the British lowered the tax on tea, not raised it. Because the americans made money on selling tea and the taxes on it went to them and not the crown, by lowering the taxes the american seller's and colonial governments made less money selling to the Brit's who were the only people they were allowed to sell to.
Wait, the Brits were making tea cheaper for themselves? I'm sure PrawnStar would never go for that!

Perhaps I was think of the stamp act and got that mixed in with the tea party.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Can't see what the challenge is doing Ottomans WC

The big differences vs the England roflstomping are the lack of cardinals for infamy burn, lower tech group with limited neighbor bonus making teching tougher, and the very real threat of 4+ major wars early on if Poland fails vs GH (GH, Tims, any 2 major Europeans and/or Mameluks). You are also in a much weaker position in terms of cutting off exploration/colonisation by the a.i.. The upside is immediate access to expansion into hordes, holy war vs Europe, and not a lot of "distant overseas" expansion (since Prawstar kept London as capital) for much higher income.

Congratulations on a job well done!

The big differences vs the England roflstomping are the lack of cardinals for infamy burn, lower tech group with limited neighbor bonus making teching tougher, and the very real threat of 4+ major wars early on if Poland fails vs GH (GH, Tims, any 2 major Europeans and/or Mameluks). You are also in a much weaker position in terms of cutting off exploration/colonisation by the a.i.. The upside is immediate access to expansion into hordes, holy war vs Europe, and not a lot of "distant overseas" expansion (since Prawstar kept London as capital) for much higher income.

Not really. I don't think immediate expansion on the horde and is the key. Pretty much the opposite I would say. Playing Ottoman I almost always have strong horde (TE and GH, even Qara Konyulu) It looks like the game is adapting to your starting situation. Well at least before 1460, then...
You can stop all the colonizers ( and I mean all of them, conquering Spain, Portugal, part of England and France), destroying the HRE before 1480 when you're troops are superior while conceding defeat to the hordes. And I'm pretty sure a very good player can do that before 1450.
Then it's sure that you will hardly achieve a 3 BB burn per year (although 1.5 is feasible just with a good diplomat and a good ruler, other than that). On the other hand, you have ALL of Europe for 1 BB a province, ALL the Mameluck (conquer Egypt mission) for 1 BB per province, so help the horde getting storng (all of them) and it's done. The key I think is building a huge fleet to take Spain and Britain early on. It's possible but you don't have to care about inflation. Again I'm sure a good player can do much better than that.

I thought about finding a piece of poetry from the era and changing all the details to somehow relate to this AAR. Then I realized that no one would need to have that bastardization of literature in there lives. So, allow me to add my voice to the chorus. Congratulations Prawnstar! :D

From my own experience:
1. Technology isn't that big a problem. As I narrated my own Ottoman game a few times in prior pages, by 1640 my Ottomans are the tech leader in all categories, even vs. those trade-maniac OPMs. Compared to the majors, I've 4 levels ahead in every single category. The key is to concentrate on government and land for the majority of the game, trade & production, and least on naval. Collect as many CoTs as you can, and build the 5th and 6th level trade buildings when you can
2. My mistake was to concentrate on the hordes instead of Europe. As such, by 1640 I've only reached French borders, those most of Eastern & Central Europe are mine, as is Italy.
3. England, with its mighty fleet, would be the most dangerous enemy early on. If the Ottoman player can find a way to neutralize the English fleet, then the deal is sealed. The other major colonizers have puny starting fleets, and usually the English will sink them several times over.

PS: Granted, twice in my Ottomans game the English were vulnerable. Early on, pre-1430s, they must have gone bankrupt because they had no fleet after a long French war. And then when the Protestant reformation hit they lost a bunch of ships, I think either to bankruptcy or because the AI disbanded its old ships to build new ones?

I would just like to quickly jump in and congratulate you on your success. After this AAR I've now decided to go through your Mongols report as well, possibly more of your works. I feel like I'm learning a lot from your reports and especially the feedback posts have answered many a nagging question of mine.

Congratulations on the successful WC! I've learned a lot from reading this, so thanks.

Speaking of learning, you've said several times that your method of making tough decisions is to brew up a cup of tea and think it over while you enjoy. How do you prefer your tea?

slightly off topic but I started an ottomans WC (on normal, not very hard done 120 years or so of game play) using 5.2 beta. Manpower is a problem at the beginning but I managed to get a foothold in iberia off granada and proceeded to conquer all of iberia most of france, england, italy disbanded the HRE and am nibbling at some of the german minors (I want to let them blob up now that not in HRE but not having much luck....). saving mamluks for after europeans

In the east I colonised all of the hords (the mameluks took a little bit but not much), through to china and india.

I haven't westernised focusing on government and military and keeping up with europeans. the italian universities are amazing for keeping govt tech ahead of time. i've also become a noble republic.

The game has become far too easy so early on due to holy war removing all potential mid game adversaries. I'm going to restart on very hard and maybe an increased AI aggression level to make it a bit mor challenging

in terms of mistakes i've made:
- france collapsed, now have 5 OMP former vassels which wont blob, bad for BB
- i killed off all the hordes whereas they could have been useful for eating chinese and indian provinces

what worked well:
- don't waste BB and manpower on conquering eastern europe. its poor land, get rid of all the colonisers asap and take all the rich provinces in europe. that gets rid of all threats.
- quickly move to block russians and mamluks from colonising horde land.

From my own experience:
1. Technology isn't that big a problem. As I narrated my own Ottoman game a few times in prior pages, by 1640 my Ottomans are the tech leader in all categories, even vs. those trade-maniac OPMs. Compared to the majors, I've 4 levels ahead in every single category. The key is to concentrate on government and land for the majority of the game, trade & production, and least on naval. Collect as many CoTs as you can, and build the 5th and 6th level trade buildings when you can
2. My mistake was to concentrate on the hordes instead of Europe. As such, by 1640 I've only reached French borders, those most of Eastern & Central Europe are mine, as is Italy.
3. England, with its mighty fleet, would be the most dangerous enemy early on. If the Ottoman player can find a way to neutralize the English fleet, then the deal is sealed. The other major colonizers have puny starting fleets, and usually the English will sink them several times over.

PS: Granted, twice in my Ottomans game the English were vulnerable. Early on, pre-1430s, they must have gone bankrupt because they had no fleet after a long French war. And then when the Protestant reformation hit they lost a bunch of ships, I think either to bankruptcy or because the AI disbanded its old ships to build new ones?

Just caught up with this as well, fantastic effort. I admire anyone who has the patience to go for a WC, but to do it so quickly and under such strict conditions is fantastic. Very well done!

Righto folks let's start with some advertising :)

Apologies for the lack of feedback to the post game comments - I've had a lot of RL as usual but also been feeling really 'gamed out' and just not been able to engage with EU3.