• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can ayone please tell me why, even though it was the eighth civilized power in the world, the Two Sicilies was NOT a great power?

two_sicilies.jpg

Six months

omg... do you think I stand any chance, in these conditions, to become a great power with Wallachia by constant cultural research for prestige?

omg... do you think I stand any chance, in these conditions, to become a great power with Wallachia by constant cultural research for prestige?

I just made hungary a great power in 4 years by pumping prestige techs until I had access to goods to build my factories. Quickly became one of the worlds most prominent industrial powers, and with a little prestige mixed in I became a great power.

You would need to conquer/acquire another state. One-state countries cannot become Great Powers, even if their score would justify their placement.

You would need to conquer/acquire another state. One-state countries cannot become Great Powers, even if their score would justify their placement.

Are you sure? Because this is my only fair chance of losing the satellite status. As a satellite, I cannot negotiate with other countries and, therefore cannot declare war.:mad: (the biggest stupidity from the game... how can you interdict someone declaring war?!)

Last edited:

Fascist Germany? Awesome; I've been meaning to get around to doing that.

Anyways, is the Yugoslavia your doing, or is it the AI growing a pair of technological balls?

I helped to form Yugoslavia, but somehow Bulgaria was also included when it formed.

Beautiful borders on that Germany. Give Italy Lombardia and Veneto and they'd be perfect.

Yugoslavia can nom Bulgaria because it's in the SOuth Slavic Culture group. Same reason Germany can annex Austria even though there's no German Empire cores there. Silly really considering the Bulgars aren't slavs but oh well. Brittany May have been free people or a revolt, in either case it's not in the Vanilla game, it's in PDM though (I'm guessing this is a PDM game).

Are you sure? Because this is my only fair chance of losing the satellite status. As a satellite, I cannot negotiate with other countries and, therefore cannot declare war.:mad: (the biggest stupidity from the game... how can you interdict someone declaring war?!)

Some mods, such as PDM, have a feature whereby sateliete countries can gain independence from foreign help. Sadly this is not in the Vanilla game, so you will have to wait for a revolt in your own country. (Or if you are EXCEPTIONALLY lucky then a revolt in Moldavia will allow you to annex it and form the Romanian provinces)

Beautiful borders on that Germany. Give Italy Lombardia and Veneto and they'd be perfect.

Yugoslavia can nom Bulgaria because it's in the SOuth Slavic Culture group. Same reason Germany can annex Austria even though there's no German Empire cores there. Silly really considering the Bulgars aren't slavs but oh well. Brittany May have been free people or a revolt, in either case it's not in the Vanilla game, it's in PDM though (I'm guessing this is a PDM game).

Some mods, such as PDM, have a feature whereby sateliete countries can gain independence from foreign help. Sadly this is not in the Vanilla game, so you will have to wait for a revolt in your own country. (Or if you are EXCEPTIONALLY lucky then a revolt in Moldavia will allow you to annex it and form the Romanian provinces)

Yes, I was using PDM 4.2.4 for that game. Brittany was formed because France gained too much infamy and had several wars of containment waged against, in one of which the Soviet Union demanded they free Brittany.

Actually it's not that stupid. Why even the Ottoman Empire was at that time sort of satellite of the Great Britain. If someone wanted to fart in the Porta they had to wait for approval from London (with only a little of exaggeration).

Actually it's not that stupid. Why even the Ottoman Empire was at that time sort of satellite of the Great Britain. If someone wanted to fart in the Porta they had to wait for approval from London (with only a little of exaggeration).

Yeah, that's why the Russians were allowed to go man-alive all over the Ottomans and illegally release an entire horde of countries in their European territory and claim the Kars region for themselves. They were still a soverign country, all the way up to Ataturk's Coup d'état, which is why they allied with the two Germans in the First Great War. Hell, they even had a say in the Suez Canal, being treated rightfully as the owners of the Egyptian provinces (of course, that conveniently changed when the war came around, but that's besides the point).

Also, I disagree with you entirely on 'satellites'; they should not be allowed to have any sort of power to declare way. For one, if the United Kingdom was forced to dismantle its over-seas British provinces into dominions and what-not, and then went to war with the Chinese or Japanese in an overwhelming victory, then there would be war-goals for the United Kingdom, the Dominion of Canada, the Dominion of South Africa, the Dominion of New Zealand, and even the Dominion of Australia. There'd be a Canadian Shanghai, or an Australia Ryukyu, and so many other ridiculous choices. On the bright side, if the British decided to reclaim their far-flung British brothers, then they'd get those territories as well.

Back on topic, now: I agree with popvox, you should've attempted to give those territories to the Italians to form a proper Grossdeutschland. Otherwise, it looks a tad silly for some odd reason.

Last edited:
The Ottomans didn't have ANY say in the Suez canal. No one simply cared for it and everything was handled with the Egyptian government. The Ottomans were NOT recognized as rightful owners of the province and sultan gave his permission when the canal was half-way done. Not exactly the way to go around for a rightful owner, isn't it? The PDM has Egypt as satellite of Ottomans. Actually it is more correct in vanilla. De-facto Egypt was independent and could kick Ottomans' asses if required.