• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Eastern Frontier, 817.

Maurice’s men cheered as the King of East Francia held his bloodied sword aloft, dripping down off the flanks of his sweat-flecked horse. The foray into the tribal Pagan kingdom of Greater Poland had been a bloody one, as Maurice had led his outriders into burning several of the outlying villages. But in early April, a response had come from the Polish King. Not in the form of a message, but an army, equipped and eager for battle.

Since this was what King Maurice had hoped for, he pulled back his scouts and placed his men into battle formation atop the western edge of a small plain, flanked by two steep, rolling hills on its left edge. There were few clever tactics or brilliant maneuverers, as the Pagans just swarmed forward to try and storm the Francian positions.

It went badly, and the bloodied Polish tribal king ended the day fleeing on horseback, clutching a wound from a spear thrust in his side. Not lethal alas, but enough to make him think twice before challenging the power of the armies of Christendom.

Enough, certainly, to win King Maurice his place in the council of his imperial brother.

For all the political motives behind the campaign, Maurice found he had quite enjoyed it in spite of himself. He had inherited at least some of his grandfather’s military talent, the skilled and experienced officers from the campaigns of his father elsewhere in the empire notwithstanding and found that the thrill of battle was one he took to well even when in overall command. Many soldiers expressed a newfound confidence in his ability to command, and he had solidified his hold over the lords of East Francia who might have doubted his military mettle or his ability to defend his throne against pretenders or challengers.

But now, to write to Emperor Renaud…

Paris, 817.

The Emperor’s wife was not a happy woman. Queen Radica did not seem to understand her husband, whose changing whims and moods often affected her most deeply. He never seemed to open up to her or to their son, content to keep her ignorant of his comings and goings, barely even speaking to her most days!

It had been vital for the Serbian alliance, he said, when asked why he had married her then, if he hadn’t actually liked her.

“And I like you well enough, for what you are.”

What on earth did that mean? Radica was unsure, for she had done her duty and begat her husband a son and heir, but he had shown no interest in repeating the process since then. Indeed, the very idea seemed to disgust him.

It could not have been known to her that the reasons for this supposed disgust did not bear any reasons to do with her. On the contrary, the problem, such as it was, was with her husband, with the secret that, if revealed, would be considered dark and shameful.

Her husband, far from loving women, was a lover of men.

It was a measure of Renaud’s remarkable discretion that no word nor whisper had ever reached his father Pepin, who would not have approved of what the Church considered vices, nor had it reached his oldest friend and closest brother Maurice, who considered it unmanly and degenerate an affliction. Close knowledge of his most intimate family had taught Renaud to keep this sinful part of himself hidden most closely. His wife, self-centred as she was, considered it her own fault, but he knew better.

So it was another dark mood that overtook him when he heard word that his favourite brother was coming home from the east, flush with the spoils of a successful campaign. From the tone of his message, he seemed to expect that a triumphant celebration would greet him upon arrival.

The Emperor had not ordered his brother’s return… so why would Maurice insist upon it? Had he truly believed that East Francia was meant as a punishment? Or did he play some game of his own? He would not have believed it before he took the throne as Emperor, but things looked different from atop the throne then from below it…

The word came to East Francia as King Maurice was preparing his plans to relocate back to the capital. But the messenger made it clear the Emperor’s wishes… Go away… stay home… you are not needed in the capital.

So much for my beloved brother Maurice thought, crumbling the note into his fist and tossing it aside carelessly. If his brother would leave him to rot here on the cold frontiers in the east, fine! Let him rot! When troubles arose again, Maurice had no doubt he would be needed, and he would be sent for.

In the meantime, he had other issues to attend to, namely, his wedding to Ermessende, new Queen of East Francia…

Paris, Francia.

As 817 became 818, the Emperor, fed up with Loup’s endless scheming, finally made a move designed to contain him. Since he remained both Emperor and King of Aquitaine, many of the lords complained about his lack of personal attention to their affairs. Besieged by the lords of Aquitaine, desiring a king to serve as their liege below the Imperial throne on the one hand, and still receiving entreaties for a throne from his brother Leon on the other, Emperor Renaud solved his dilemma by appointing his brother Leon ‘The Mule’ as King of Aquitaine.

A rather elegant solution it would’ve been, were Leon’s reputation for being mulish and rather stupid not already well-known. Aquitaine complained bitterly of the perceived slight, and at a banquet to mark the new year, the Duke of Gascony slighted the new King before the Emperor. Leon was infuriated when his brother let the comments pass, merely rebuking the Duke for his manners, but did not defend his brother’s competence, nor his intellect.

The spies of King Loup of Italia doubtless heard of this arrangement, so it was that King Loup used this opportunity to sow the seeds of the discord he had been planting…

January 20th 818.

“The King of Italia hereby declares himself and his lords reign over a free and independent kingdom, not subject to the dictates of the Emperor of Paris. He invites the subject kings of all other realms to join him in toppling imperial tyranny and restoring the proper order of Christendom, in the name of the Holy Father, and the name of our own mutual father Pepin the Bold.”

The messenger need not have feared for himself in relaying this decree to the imperial court. Renaud merely nodded, gestured for the guards to press a coin into the fellow’s hand, and then let him pass from the court. Even with such a declaration, harming one who came under a banner of parley would be a poor look…

Italia had declared in open rebellion at least, and it seemed to Renaud that the timing could not be worse. West Francia was suffering under internal strife, as a fight between Burgundy and King Karloman persisted, while Aquitaine, in it’s present grumbling mood, might be more inclined to raise up arms against the Empire rather than in favour of it…

“It’ll have to be Maurice, and the east then, that comes to our aid.” He muttered to himself, summoning his council into session, as he approached the first true test of his reign…

OOC: Apologies for taking so long on this one. Nevertheless, the post is done, and rebellion is in the air! It just remains to be seen how widespread this is, and how Renaud handles it... Thanks to everyone for their forbearance and patience:)

• 2Love
Reactions:
Always worth the wait!

• 1Like
Reactions:
We have to see if Maurice will be willing to put down the revolt or if he's tired of his emperor brother.
And if Italy falls, can it still be called an Empire or will it just shatter?

• 1Like
Reactions:
818, The Carolingian Empire.

The outbreak of war sent the outriders scattering all across the empire as the Kings mobilised their own vassals to war. For yet another time, the scions of the House Karling would cross blades with one another in a vicious dynastic dispute for control of their realms. Virtually none were left alive today who remembered back to beyond the dispute between Karl and Karloman The Great during his youth after the death of their father Pepin, but those who knew the tale recalled only Karl’s sudden death had ended the prospect of outright civil war. It would not have been surprising then if some in the many newly-built churches across the Empire discreetly prayed for God to make his will known and strike down one or more of the would-be pretenders.

But it was not to be, as King Loup’s army had gathered south of the Alps. The wealth of his lands and his compact territory made his mustering faster than that of Renaud’s, who ruled vast imperial territories, but could only muster troops over such vast distances more slowly.

“But your brother Maurice has sent his horseman to tell us his forces are massing as well,” one of the Emperor’s courtiers reported, “so we’ll have his support in place when he arrives as well.”

“Good,” Emperor Renaud nodded, “Loup has many advantages, and my brother’s skill on the battlefield is an asset I intend to exploit to it’s fullest use. God willing, we shall triumph over the would-be usurper, with his help.”

But there remained a problem. The ever fractious lords of Aquitaine still chafed under imperial control, and feared the prospect of their levies being drained in an inter-Carolingian civil war at the directive of the distant Emperor. Being aware of the problem, and determined to head it off, Emperor Renaud decided to kill two problems with one blow.

His brother Leon, unkindly nicknamed “The Mule” for his stubbornness and thick-headed nature, had long chafed at being denied a throne under his father’s inheritance. Pepin had thought the boy dull-witted, perhaps not unfairly, but Leon had lived with the humiliation of that slight ever since. He was no more enarmoured of the new Emperor Renaud either, and a real risk of a larger rift within the family would emerge if he were not kept onside.

Thus it was that the Emperor bestowed the throne of Aquitaine upon Leon I, King of Aquitaine. And if men sniggered behind their backs and called him “King Mule” when not in his hearing, that was a problem for another day.

“Brother I…”

“You shall accept of course,” Renaud pressed him. He needed Leon to focus now, more than ever.

“Of course brother! It is all I dreamed of when father passed! I thank you…”

He stopped, brow furrowed. “But why, and why now?”

Renaud sighed inwardly, knowing a brighter man would’ve grasped the logic instantly, but he knew his younger brother well enough to know he was not a bright man.

“Because,” he explained patiently, “The lords of Aquitaine feel that they are deserving of a King bearing the Carolingian name, not subject to the direct rule of the Emperor. The Spanish Marches across the Pyrenees are also vulnerable to attack if the distant Emperor is busy elsewhere. They need a governor, and I need someone I can trust. I need you,”

“Y-You do?” Leon asked, beaming with a wide, doe-eyed look. “I don’t recall father ever needing me.”

“Just take the crown Leon,” Renaud advised him, “I’ll need you to begin immediately, whipping the lords into shape and raising the levies. I’ll have my councillors send with you instructions for how many we need and where to gather them. All you need to do is make it happen.”

If Leon felt any slight at the notion that he was not capable of organising these things perfectly well himself, he did not register it. Or perhaps he merely didn’t understand the way it could be construed as insulting. Either way, he merely nodded distractedly, and hurriedly promised his brother he would do as he commanded, and do so as swiftly as was possible.

“I shan’t let you down brother,” he swore, “I really shan’t.”

There, Renaud thought, Aquitaine now has a fool for a King. They wanted one, they got one, and if any upjumped lord complains, I will remind them of their complaints that Aquitaine didn’t have a King for itself for years under my father’s rule. They want to be ruled by a fool, let them!

It would be enough for now to silence the rumblings from Aquitaine, as the armies south of the Alps continued to gather and he received troubling reports of raiders on the northern coasts. The Pagans of the northlands were taking the opportunity to savage the coastal trade routes and commerce was suffering, but the Emperor’s concerns were far greater then such petty trifles at this moment…

East Francia, Realm of King Maurice.

The King in the East had mustered his forces with a swiftness and efficiency that characterised all his military matters. Maurice, in a way his brothers had not, had inherited his grandfather’s martial talents. Before the next month was out his forces were on the roads, marching westwards towards the Elbe, mind already turning to the confrontation that was ahead.

He had known his brother Loup was ambitious and quarellsome, even ruthless, but he had not believed the Empire would deteriorate so quickly. That sons of Pepin would squabble so blatantly that it would rip apart the Empire he spent a lifetime solidifying. The greatest power in the West since Rome in the time of the Caesars, and it all might be about to be torn down under the weight of competing ambitions of brothers…

Sometimes I think some of the smaller realms have it right. One son, inheriting one kingdom. Karl and Karloman came to blows over their respective inheritances, now our own father’s sons do the same. Oh father, do forgive me for the part I am to play in the spilling of brother’s blood that is to come.

So it was with this morose and gloomy thought that the King clacked his tongue and urged his horse onward.

OOC: Aquitaine has a King, Leon the Mule has a crown and Maurice Karling rides to war, but how will the canny King Loup react? And what of Karloman in command of West Frankia? So many Kings now!

• 2Love
Reactions:
I wonder if we might expect Maurice to aim for greater personal power once this Italy business is done.
Hopefully Renaud has enough strength to hold the empire together despite its many souls

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder if we might expect Maurice to aim for greater personal power once this Italy business is done.
Hopefully Renaud has enough strength to hold the empire together despite its many souls
My thanks, as usual, for your comment and support:)

I had a trip overseas so didn't have a chance to write but will be back in the saddle this week to write more:)

• 1Like
Reactions:
To those who had welcomed the rise of the Carolingians and the ascent of Frankish rule over Western Europe, the coming of the empire had heralded an age of peace and good order under the One God. Without the Empire, it was said, Pagan savages from the dark forests of the east would spill over the border to pillage the churches, petty lords would fall back into their old ways to ravage the poor and powerless, while the unified cultural and economic renaissance the realms had enjoyed would be lost. For those people, the prospect of renewed civil war and Frankish power struggles thought banished with the rise of Karloman filled them with intense dread.

But for the lords of Aquitaine, ever turbulent and restive, the coming of peace and order had only been a temporary respite from the endless swirl of intrigue and politicking that plagued that warm and festive land. When the summer grapes were harvested, the blood of lords and their peasants alike had flowed like wine in past generations. The coming of the Carolingians had helped push such infighting into the darkness, but with the coming splintering of the empire, it seemed that the old ways had come roaring back to life with a vengeance.

King Leon, or “King Mule” as his vassals had taken to unkindly sniggering behind his back, had been persuaded that his brother the Emperor had pushed him to Aquitaine only out of jealousy of his popularity with the people (which in reality was near non-existent) and that his brother was furthermore seeking to cut him down further by restricting his power to reign over his own local Aquitainian concerns, and having the imperial court issue decrees for him to merely implement. This was in fact true, for Emperor Renaud had not wanted to leave his relatively simple-minded brother the difficult task of juggling the kingship of Aquitaine alone, but the lords left out the details of his concern for his brother, focused only on the lack of trust such a decision implied…

Soon King Leon was deeply distraught, telling anybody who would listen that he felt betrayed, Betrayed! That his brother would doubtless soon be having him killed, and that he regretted every wretched day he spent remaining under the thumb of the Emperor.

Swiftly and surely, such words crossed the Alps and found their way to the ears of the King of Italy, who wrote to his brother with an even more swift courier on horseback to deliver it. The King had the letter read in open court.

“Since our beloved brother the Emperor has taken it upon himself to strip us both of our dignities and our entitlements under our father’s laws, I say it is high time you and I entwine our forces and issue a joint proclamation that our two kingdoms are now independent realms, not subject to the whims of imperial authority. I have written to our brother Karloman, in West Francia, expressing the same. Maurice is, I suspect, a lost cause. We shall never pry him away.

But if the three of us join our forces together brother, the Emperor will be surrounded by open rebellion on all sides. We shall have the court caught in a trap, and there will be nowhere to run but through our armies.

Join with me now brother, I beseech you! Let us see Aquitaine and Italia free together!”

The King took no decision formally, but left it to a vote of the assembled notables on the council. The vote carried unanimously, and the banners of rebellion were raised all across Aquitaine…

Paris, Imperial Court. January 818.

If the rebels hoped that the vacillating Karloman, the inaptly named King of West Francia, would join forces with them, they would be sorely disappointed. The arrival of Maurice and his armies in the capital to support the Emperor’s legions was what stiffened his resolve. Thus it seemed, the sons of Pepin would be split almost down the middle in the coming civil war, between those who remained loyal to the imperial dispositions of their father, and those who sought to rule their own realms without interference from a distant Emperor.

“Loup is the real threat,” Maurice told his brother, who looked frailer and more tired these days then he’d ever seen him. “Leon is a nothing, our fool of a brother will crumble when he sees the tide turning against him, and the lords of Aquitaine…”

“I know, they pushed him into it” Renaud replied, gritting his teeth. “But I would have the heads of them all, if I thought I could and still hold the south.”

“I know,” Maurice patted his shoulder. “But we are not all out of God’s favour. Karloman has remained loyal, and I brought essentially everything except the border levies from my own lands in the east, which remains loyal in it’s entirety.”

He gave his brother a pointed look, noting that HIS lands had been loyal in their entirety, despite him being sent far from court.

But if the Emperor noticed his pointed glare, he gave no sign of it.

“Good,” Renaud replied, “And it seems many of the lords in the Spanish Marches have remained loyal, though some are also paying lip service to the rebels.”

“When the dice are in the air, it makes sense to bet on it landing on all sides.” Maurice replied, “They will declare for the winning side, once it becomes obvious which is which.”

“So they shall,” Renaud smiled at him, “But I shall have you lead the first assault brother, Loup’s forces will likely cross the Alpine passes within another month, and I want your forces to be the ones that meet him upon the battlefield.”

“It shall be done,” Maurice bowed his head.

And so when January turned to February, the rebel armies from Italia crossed the Alps and marched into southern Francia, while the forces of Aquitaine were still slowly gathering (Leon was no military mastermind either). That King Maurice and his most loyal and experienced levies, hardened by years of campaigning against the Pagan savages to the east, were lying in wait for them upon the main imperial highways, the rebels as yet had no idea…

1699736658154.jpeg

OOC: The battle lines are drawn and the civil war for the Empire has begun... I've put up a screenshot of the current geo-political situation as it is getting quite complicated:)

• 1Love
Reactions:
This civil war has stretched out far beyond its origin but I think that the empire will endure. The only way I see it falling is if the whims of battle end up slaying one of Pepin's boys

My thanks to everyone still sticking with this story! Happy New Year to all:) I took a bit of a break from writing to deal with other issues but am back in the game and have a post due up in the next 24 hours and we'll continue from there:) Appreciate everyone as always for the feedback and goodwill shown:)

Reactions:
February, 818.

The King of Italia’s army had been making headway upon the imperial highway towards Lyons, when fire leapt from their wagons and supply trains…

The archers had ridden in under cloaks and hoods, set their blazing arrows to the wagons, and then withdrew again while panicked men and horses wheeled around and tried to save the rebel army’s precious baggage train.

And it was as they moved towards the castle of Brindas, just a few miles east of Lyons, that they found the forces of King Maurice awaiting them.

Maurice had drawn his infantry line up twelve wide and six deep, and blocked the road towards Lyons, a city that lay at a cross of important trade and travel routes, and was furthermore of uncertain loyalties, trapped between it’s obligations to the Emperor Renaud and it’s proximity to the routes that were to be travelled by the rebel army. It was Prince Maurice who had decided to take steps to remove the threat of the gates opening to the rebels, basing himself and the bulk of his forces near the city and directly blocking King Loup’s approach.

Young and eager and energetic, Loup hankered for a battle with his elder brother, but several of his councillors preached caution. King Maurice was a more experienced commander and his soldiers were from the eastern frontiers, levies hard-bitten by snow and frost and beaten into shape by years of skirmishes and battles with Pagan savages…

February 18th, 818.

The armies of the rebel King Loup lay shattered and dead, strewn across the battlefield. Maurice had sprung the trap perfectly, allowing the Italian forces to blunder headlong into the ambush. A gang of hired mercenaries, armed with bows and straddling horse’s backs, had unleashed deadly volleys into the ranks of the enemy infantry, panicking the marching column and leaving them exposed to the charge that Maurice’s force inflicted on them from multiple directions.

King Loup had survived, content to abandon his shattered army to be slaughtered or routed by the roadside. He still had reserves further south, and some who had escaped the ambush would doubtless regroup in the weeks and months that followed, but the immediate threat in southern Francia had receded.

The King of Aquitaine was gathering his forces as well, but slowly. When Maurice heard the news, he did not waste a moment, but packed up the camp of his victorious army and set them out west to menace the borders of his rebel brother Leon. He knew well that his brother was slow-witted and ill-suited to warfare, and, lacking experience as well as judgement, an aggressive strategy would keep him off-balance and push him into making mistakes.

March, 818.

The Emperor’s cravings were making him restless once more… When his brother had been in the capital, he had refrained from indulging in his secret trysts with the serving men and stableboys whom could be paid or threatened into a discreet silence about their ‘encounters’ with the Emperor, but the price he paid for such discretions were high. For all of his formidable efforts at secrecy, he had been rewarded, not a peep about any rumours of his indiscretions had ever reached his ears from his spy network, and the Emperor knew full well that if the rumors did arise, they would damage his dignity, his reputation and likely, his hold on power. Men, it was said by the Church, ought not to lie with other men…

But the Emperor this time made a mistake. What error he made he did not know. Maybe somebody saw him pay the servant to discreetly slip the young man a note. Maybe the servant took his gold and gossiped anyway, maybe the young fellow himself was seen entering or leaving the Emperor’s chambers at night.

Either way, within days, rumors that the Emperor had been engaged in illicit relations with men were spreading all over the Imperial court. Servants whispered and giggled in the halls. The imperial spymasters reported muttering and dark glares from the guards, and the Church officials themselves were aghast, appalled, and whispered the Emperor as a coward, a pimp and a procurer. Some whispered that he took the woman’s role in the bedroom, that’s why he needed his brother to do his fighting for him…

Renaud was well aware of this, but gnashed his teeth and shut his mouth. Denying the rumours would only lend them credence, he knew, so he resolved to be extra cautious for the time being and ensured the only bed he shared for weeks was that of his long-suffering wife. If she questioned the reasons for his apparent desire to be close to her when he had seemed so indifferent before, she at least had the good grace not to express them.

But cheering news came from the south as it brought him word of Maurice’s victory. King Loup had retreated southwards, no doubt gathering up a second army, but for now, the field in Southern Francia was clear of the rebels.

A letter from Maurice, in the field.

Vienne is ours, and the armies of the rebel traitor Loup and his Italian lords have scattered. I have marched my forces westward to Aquitaine to punish the rebel lords who convinced our fool of a brother to throw in his lot with Loup’s plans. I shan’t kill him, since I doubt very much his tiny mind dreamed up the plan to betray you and join the rebels all by itself. Our brother is many things, but brilliant he is not.

I am well myself, and command always makes me feel alive far better than dusty administrative scrolls or prayer services. You yourself never quite took to it the same way heh brother?

In regard to the rumours at court I hear so much about, (yes, they have spread even so far south as here) pay them no heed, I know my brother well enough to know that we have no secrets from each other, don’t we?

I shall write further when the Lords of Aquitaine are brought to heel, and shall return to Paris when such a time has come.

Your beloved brother,

Maurice, King of East Francia.

And so it proved, for when weeks later word came that Maurice had sacked the town of Bordeaux and put the rebel garrisons to the sword, the Emperor once more heard word from his brother. Though the rebel armies were still formally active and neither of the two kings had been caught or killed, their basic strength had been smashed and the Empire was triumphant…

Maurice was heading for Paris.

OOC: Two victories for Maurice! But the word of the Emperor's indiscretions are coming out, and the damage to his reputation may be extensive. How might Maurice and the others react?

• 2Love
Reactions:
Thank you for updating. How long is Maurice going to be happy doing the work while Renaud plays? Who is Renaud's heir?
Renaud does have a son, but he's barely more than an infant...

Reactions:
A fall in grace from the emperor might open a very imperial road for the victorious Maurice, but he surely wouldn't attack his dear brother, would he?
But the rebellions are being quashed so at least one issue is being dealt with

• 2Like
Reactions: