• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quite the uplifting chapter! It's good to see that Pepin hasn't inherited all of Karloman's harshest attributes!
I'm curious about the next chapter, I wonder how well Pepin's sons will get on with ruling

Also excited to hear about your new project! I've recently gotten back into GOT (HotD is to blame) so that will be a welcome addition!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Quite the uplifting chapter! It's good to see that Pepin hasn't inherited all of Karloman's harshest attributes!
I'm curious about the next chapter, I wonder how well Pepin's sons will get on with ruling

Also excited to hear about your new project! I've recently gotten back into GOT (HotD is to blame) so that will be a welcome addition!
Thanks for the support as always:)

If that's what's gotten you back into it, I think you'll enjoy the AAR!

Welcome to hop on over there and partake of the latest adventures:)

I'll have another update up on this thread in a day or two:)

• 1Love
Reactions:
811 CE,

Moravia,

Svetimir, the High Chief of Moravia was not a man to be undone. A man of bravery and wisdom, he was not one to merely give in when the odds were long.

So when word reached him of the Christian armies gathering in the west, and the Roman Emperor coming forth to directly challenge him in his own lands, Svetimir remained calm. Badly injured merely months before in a border skirmish, the High Chief ignored his own pain to send orders to be relayed to all the clan’s runners. They were to ride east from Moravia, calling for aid from every people loyal to the Gods whom they all served, in order to drive back the heathen tide of this new God, and secure a future for all their peoples free from the threat of conquest and conversion from Christian Franks.

The response was swiftly, numerous neighbouring peoples pledged their backing. Including the victors of Svetimir’s most recent skirmish, cause of his own wounds. In the face of an outside threat of this magnitude, old divisions were forgotten. All knew how the Franks had dealt with the Saxons and the Bohemians they had conquered…

Pepin’s own forces had mobilised more rapidly than anticipated, and were moving east toward the Danube by May. In June the first of the other Pagan warbands arrived to bolster Moravia’s defenses, and fortifications were set up along the river, alongside supply lines to protect the armies if they were forced to withdraw deeper into Pagan lands to resist the Franks…

Emperor Pepin’s forces arrived in late July, and prepared to lay siege to the nearest Pagan forts within their vicinity. The Emperor had brought with him a corps of experienced siege engineers, many of them veterans from the latter campaigns of Karloman or Pepin’s own early years, with vital experience and knowledge of siege warfare. His own formative military experience had been the Siege of Constantinople, and the Emperor was enamoured of the strategic value in taking towns and forts in a way his father never had been.

He took Landshut and Ingolstadt within weeks, sacking both villages as easily as an ant colony would infest a hollow hill. But the Pagan armies were gathering and it was in Ortenburg that Pepin’s forces met them on October 13th.

Though both arms were matched in experience, the forces of the Emperor had greater numbers. It was Maurice who commanded on the left, and Pepin in the centre, while Renaud delegated direct command on the right to a subordinate. When the army’s skirmishers opened the day’s action, a sudden burst of rain left the field sodden and slick with brown mud. Much of the ground near the riverbank was particularly sticky, and left the right flank out of action for much of the fighting,

But it began badly for the left as well, Maurice ordered a cavalry charge that devolved into a vicious and savage melee. When the Franks got the better of their foe, they pursued the routing enemy right off the battlefield…

Pepin ordered the centre forward, and a vicious slugging match between the infantry ensued for nearly an hour. It took that long for Maurice’s leal lords to rally their horsemen, turn them back to the fight and smash the Pagans in the rear.

The Battle of Ortenberg was won. A messy, sloppy and inelegant victory, but a victory nonetheless…

1668762020561.png

Svetimir II of Moravia, young and inexperienced, but bold and brave, fought valiantly and rallied his own neighbours to attempt to resist the encroachment of Christian Europe on the lands of his people.

1668762117072.png

OOC: Thanks for the patience. This is one I split into two parts as well. The next update will cover the end of the Moravian campaign and get more into the businesses of all Pepin's six sons:)

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Pepin can afford a sloppy victory in the east, the empire doesn't have any terrible rivals at the moment so let it serve as an experience for the boys

• 1Like
Reactions:
Victories are just as apt to lead to emperors explaining to empresses why her son's horse is carrying empty boots. Thank you for updating. I marked Clubfoot.
Thanks so much:)

Apologies for my slow pace. I've had a busy work week (it's that time of year) and am prepping an important application right now so I've had to prioritise other writing. There'll definitely be updates to both threads in the next few weekdays (my plan is Tuesday, but that might change!)

Thanks for the patience:)

Reactions:
Hey team:) Sorry for my lateness but work got really busy all of a sudden (end-of-year rush, you know:)

I have a post upcoming but I want it to be good and long for y'all so it'll be fully done on the weekend and posted up:) I've written up the first half so as soon as I get some time the rest will be done and uploaded:)

Thanks for sticking with me. I'll be hoping to write more and far more quickly over the holiday break.

Reactions:
Hello everyone:)

Deepest apologies for missing my self-imposed deadline (again, lol). But I do have legit excuse this time as my laptop karked itself last Thursday and I just now got it back from the tech who got it working today. Seems like the writing and files are all still there so no issues hopefully with continuing, so the only thing lost is time, which I'm sure will please everyone, not just me:)

The other good news is that it was the graphics card causing it, so while some graphically demanding games are beyond me until I get a new laptop, CK2 still seems to be working, meaning I will be able to continue this AAR as planned without difficulties (fingers crossed that remains:))

Needless to say, I'm sorry for the delay, but I'll have another post done this week, and it'll be a big one, so thanks so much for the patience.

Reactions:
November, 811 CE

After Ortenberg, it was over in a few short months. The Pagans, despite mustering fierce resistance, simply had neither the numbers nor military resources to stave off the Christian forces in this region, and the Empire had concentrated their main campaigning forces to this region for the duration of the fighting. Pepin’s forces mopped up, and by early 812, the Empire had conquered a swathe of western Moravia.

In many ways this was the height of imperial glory for the Carolingians. Pepin had a large brood of strong, growing sons, was victorious on the battlefield and virtually unchallenged in politics. His timid, lovely wife plainly adored him, and the Emperor never seemed to feel the need to seek solace outside his marriage. Now his sons were growing to manhood in their own right, all seemed to be travelling swimmingly…

Young Rorgon squalled loudly and Radica handed him off to the wetnurse.

“He struggles these days,” she told her husband, Renaud. “Cries a lot, sleeps very little.”

“The wetnurses will handle it,” Renaud replied, not understanding why she appeared so upset about the child. He indeed had little to do with his son, and considered it the wetnurses business to worry about the child’s moods.

“The wetnurses can’t handle him either,” she said miserably, “We need to change them out again.”

“If you like,” Renaud shrugged, “It’s woman’s business. You handle it as you please.”

It was always “woman’s business”, when it came to the children, as far as Renaud was concerned.

Now King of Aquitaine, Renaud ruled the realm under his father’s name. Serving directly in his own capital now, he maintained control over south-west Francia and the whole of the Spanish Marches that were under imperial control. His lords were pleased with the heir apparent to the Empire being their own overlord, feeling it granted them favour and the opportunity to ingratiate themselves and win future rewards when Renaud came into his father’s throne as well.

Renaud though did not like Aquitaine, it was too hot and sunny, and the colder northern climes he was used too had agreed more with his disposition and his health. His wife and increasingly his young son were miserable there as well.

Even the comfort of his brother was denied to him now, Maurice was made King of East Francia, including the old lands of Saxony. As the most recently conquered and civilised parts of the Empire, and still bordering Pagan lands to the east, Pepin hoped that his still somewhat immature and prone to distraction son would find himself the discipline and focus that such an assignment warranted. While the borders were peaceful for now, Maurice was under orders to garrison vigilantly and cautiously monitor local political tensions.

Pepin’s third son shared his grandfather’s name, Karloman, now titled King of West Francia now ruled directly over some of the central dominions of his father’s Empire around the Emperor’s preferred capital of Paris. Though the borders of his kingdom were smaller and less defensible than those of the historical Western Frankish kingdoms, something which the militaristic young man had complained about when his father had granted him the assignation. But it was the boy’s talent for physical activity and military drilling that compelled Pepin to keep him relatively close at hand, with Maurice and Renaud now further afield, the Emperor wanted a strong right arm closer to home….

And Loup, the fourth of Pepin’s sons, and the youngest to have a kingdom granted to him now ruled Italia in his own right. Now a handsome, charismatic fellow of eight and ten years, the land he ruled had remained pacified under his rule, as the Italian lords could be sure they received a fair hearing in regards of counsel and justice from him. The sheer destructive brutality of the Italian campaigns and the rebellions on the peninsula during the reign of Emperor Karloman now seemed a thing of the past to many, and during those halcyon years, peace reigned and trade prospered, as did the many who lived within the boot at the heart of Europe…

Pepin’s youngest four children had no such kingdoms to call their own. Leon, the eldest of the four remaining, was nicknamed ‘The Mule’ for he was known to be rather stubborn and stupid, just like the animal. He possessed little in the way of either diplomatic or military talent, and even now being of age Pepin had not yet seen fit to attempt to make more use of him. In truth, he had little interest or concern for this, his mulish son.

Sons Raoul and Raynaud and daughter Beatrice, Pepin and Elodie de Valois’s only daughter, were still too young to play a great role in the affairs of the state at this time. But with this brood of eight, that had driven tutors to distraction and run nannies ragged, the succession of the Empire seemed secure.

It was thus in early 812 that a surprising opportunity presented itself. The old Bishop of Reims had passed away, and the Emperor seized upon the opportunity to resolve the dilemma regarding Leon ‘The Mule’. A career as the Bishop, with lands and influence commensurate with the station, that could support the Emperor and be trusted to take his side in any issues that arose would be ideal for the boy. He would not have to lead armies, nor take active involvement in affairs that were not of his concern. Pepin thus immediately took it upon himself to begin appointing Leon to the post…

This proved to be a mistake. By what means is not known, but Pope Callistus II, a reformer who had arisen to the Papacy following the death of his predecessor Nicolaus, discovered the Emperor’s plans, and wrote to Pepin a sharp critique of the Emperor’s actions. The appointment of Bishops was for the Church, not for the Emperor to undertake he had said, and it fell to him, as the Vicar of Christ upon the Earth, to carry out this duty, not any mere temporal sovereign…

But the Emperor had moved ahead, and ignored the Pontiff’s wishes, making his appointment known… It was in the middle of 812 when they heard of the Pontiff’s response…

“Excommunication…” Pepin was shocked.

“For you and all your heirs, apparently, until such time as you repent your sins before God and Christ.” Elodie’s face was white. “Husband! You must do as his Holiness says!”

“Must?” Pepin’s face was white, drained of blood such was his anger. “An Emperor must do nothing!” he growled, voice lowered in fury. Something in his face made Elodie stop. She had been about to speak once more, but for this brief moment, her husband’s face reminded her of his father, and she chose to let the words die unsaid. They would not be welcome, she could tell.

“He sits in Rome surrounded by my lands, Pontiff by my decree… and he dares dictate his terms to me! The Emperor of Rome! Pah!” he spat, “We shall show his Holiness whose cause God truly favours.”

“What do you intend to do?” Elodie asked, regaining her voice.

He bared his teeth in a thin, feral smile. “What I must.” Was all he said in reply…

Escuens, Francia, 812CE

When the Crown Prince showed up to his door, the Bishop Alains of Escuens was surprised to see his visitor. He was more surprised by far to discover he had come on behalf of the Emperor.

“His Holiness has violated God’s sacred commandments in the view of all Christendom,” the Prince told him, face stern. “My father has the right of it. He is the defender of Christendom, was it not his own father that secured the Pontiff from the Lombards? Was it not his grandfather who secured his rule from the Emperors in Constantinopolis, and was it not my grandfather’s grandfather who stopped the Moors at Poitiers? Who better than the descendants of Karl Martel to safeguard the future interests of Christendom?”

“I appreciate your dilemma, and your position.” Alain told the Prince, careful to keep diplomacy in his tone, “But his Holiness’s word is law on the matter of excommunication… I fail to see what your father expects of me in this regard.”

“You are correct on matters of canon law, that only the Pontiff can issue excommunications.” Replied Prince Renaud, “Or at least so I am told by mine own Chaplain,” he continued, with a ghost of a grin. “That said, my father’s proposition is simple… he will appoint a Pontiff of his own to overrule Callistus’s decree. He shall appoint you, in other words, if you should accept.”

Alain was too shocked to respond for several long moments.

“God’s blood Prince…” he finally responded, “You do realise what you are asking?”

“Indeed I do,” Renaud replied, “Though I would refrain from taking His name in vain when my father appoints you, it would not do to have the Representative of Christ upon the earth express himself in such terms where others would hear.”

“I shall remember it,” Alain replied, but his mind was already racing away… so many opportunities. If he could survive the move to appoint him…

“But what makes you think the Empire will accept me? Or the Emperor in Constantinopolis stand for it? And surely if Callistus sits in Rome, there are many who still will regard him legitimately?”

“We have plans for Callistus,” Prince Renaud replied, smiling nastily. “All you need do is play your part, as the Emperor wills…”

“Very well then, I agree.” Alain nodded, knowing full well he had no choice. When the Emperor made an offer, the wise man interpreted it as a command.

“Good man. I shall have a courier sent to bear the news when my father makes his announcement. Good day.”

And then the Prince was gone.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oooh, antipope time

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oooh, antipope time
I literally have no idea why the Pope decided to excommunicate Pepin, but I had to write SOMETHING for the AAR, and the plot to appoint his chosen Bishop made more sense then any reason the AI seemed to be working off:):)

Reactions:
CK2 excommunication is very unusual. I think that it is usually someone with a grudge goes to the Pope, rather than bad actions. Who does the Pope get madder at the ruler or the anti-pope (real life and and in game)? Thank you for the updates.

Exciting stuff! So many brother kings are either a recipe for great stability or great chaos, I'm curious to see which.
Bold move with the antipope! I almost expected Leon to be Pepin's choice but it makes sense to have a good counter to Callistus.

• 1Like
Reactions:
812, Roma, Italy.

Pope Callistus was as good as his threats, he excommunicated the Emperor of Rome in early July. Emperor Pepin was quick to respond, and the Bishop of Escuens was appointed as the ‘rightful’ head of the Papacy, by imperial decree, just some weeks later. Popes Callistus II and Nicholus II promptly excommunicated each other, while the Emperor raised an army for yet another campaign across the Alps into Italy…

“I have no intention of allowing things to rest.” Pope Callistus told his inner council in Rome. The city was in a panic as word of the Frankish army gathering in the north had spread. The citizens had barred their doors and shut up their shops, commerce had ground to a halt and money had gone into hiding. “I shall appeal to the Patriarch in Constantinopolis to defend my position.”

“With an Emperor in Constantinopolis that is a half-brother to Pepin?” Cardinal Geraud snorted, “You’d have better luck asking Christ himself to return.”

Callistus glared at Geraud, the antipathy between them was well-known.

“I have written to the Patriarch,” Callistus continued, “If he wants to assert the primacy of the Eastern Church over the offices of the Emperor, he will have no choice but to endorse my position against Pepin.”

“We shall see.”

So Callistus did, paying for the fastest galley he could hire from the port of Ostia. He also issued an official proclamation to be read, in Italian, through all the towns of Italy, that the Emperor of the Franks was usurping the lawful prerogatives of the Vicar of Christ, and that all true Christians should rise up to defend the Holy Mother Church against the swords of the unrighteous…

Italia, 812.

If the true Pope had hoped his campaign to turn Italian hearts and minds against the Emperor would prove successful, he was tragically disappointed. The faithful were scared, agitated and uncertain. The Emperor proclaimed one Pope and Rome proclaimed another. It had never happened before, and no word came from Constantinople or any other jurisdiction that might have theological input into the matter.

Most learned scholars of Christian faith agreed Callistus II was in the right of the dispute. He was himself a pre-eminent scholar of the works of the faith, a best Christian of the old kind, honest, pious and cheerful, not given to the corruption or profligacy of many other Cardinals or supposed men of virtue in the Roman Papacy. He did not possess overweening physical courage it is true, but a sterness of mind and of principle that was well-respected, even by his enemies. It made him more determined then ever to defend the Church’s prerogatives against the usurpations of a grasping Emperor, who dared to touch decisions his father never would have.

But knowledge of the faith and letters bore little defence against Frankish swords. When a response came from Constantinople in May, it was disappointingly indecisive. The Patriarch only said that he recognised the supremacy of the Pope in matters of the western branch of the Church. But which Pope? The true one in Rome or the pretender squatting in Escuens, a capture of Frankish arms? The response did not say, quite deliberately so.

Meanwhile the Frankish arms gathered over the Alps, ready for a campaign in July or August. Pepin had no wish to allow the status quo to go on. The Church had to be brought to heel, the excommunication definitively rescinded. There could be no doubting it, and no arguing otherwise.

“The Chaplain says Father will be cursed if he pursues this path, that God will punish him for his blasphemy,” Prince Renaud said to Maurice, on one of those rare occasions they saw each another, now that one ruled Aquitaine and the other Eastern Francia.

“The Chaplain is a dithering old woman,” Maurice snorted. “Father is the son of Karloman, the Emperor of Rome. Godblessed of the world. No dithering old ponce in a funny hat will be changing that.”

“I’m not so sure.”

Maurice glared at his brother. “Not you too!” he said, exasperated. “You know full well it was provoked. Callistus is the one who overreached. To excommunicate an Emperor? Pah! The nerve!” He shook his head. “It’ll be a short war of it, that’s for sure, Loup will keep Northern Italia open to us, and it’s a straight march to Rome from there.”

“I don’t want to chat about it further,” replied Renaud, who was much more gloomy these days.

“Tcah! Have it your way, How is the wife and son?” Maurice asked.

Both were well, in truth, though Renaud couldn’t say how much. Try as he might, he couldn’t muster himself to bring love for his wife, nor for the son she had borne into his world. The old cravings had not faded, nor his distaste for women. He had stirred himself long enough to sire a son on Radica for the sake of his father’s approval… but the act had been so humiliating and painful, and the look in Radica’s face so contemptuous that he had rarely attempted it again. While she gave no verbal indication of discomfort, or indeed of unhappiness, he was clearly a disappointment to her.

“They are well,” was all he told Maurice, for that all his he could bear to tell his closest brother, boon companion of his youth, in these days of drudgery and adulthood.

“Good to hear,” Maurice grinned, “You were lucky in father’s choice for you brother, Radica is quite the beauty.” He whistled, “I’d have her myself, if not for my respect for you!”

“You may take her if you wish,” Renaud replied, without thinking, “I’d give her to you freely.”

“And anger father by making you a cuckhold in the eyes of the world?” Maurice laughed. “I’m reckless brother, but not a fool, son or not, I’d lose my head if I tried that.”

Seeing Renaud’s morose expression, he clapped him on the back again, “Cheer up, a good war will be just what you need! Bring you back to your own self. Being sat here governing is no good for you, a good fight is what you need!”

And so Renaud hoped it would be so...

OOC: Things are moving as the brothers re-unite, the Empire marches to war against the Papacy and the Pope's first gamble fails.

• 1Love
Reactions:
The Pope seems to have very few friends to call upon. I can only see him succeeding if a rebellion thwarts Pepin.
But it's good to see the brothers together, unfortunate that Renaud is unhappy at home though

Reactions:
Thanks for the update. The Papacy is probably not strong enough to back its play. I keep waiting for CK to rear its ugly head and bring tragedy to a son of Pepin. Any there any Catholic rulers who are willing to try an excomm. war on Pepin?

November 812

The Emperor’s army moved south toward the Brenner Pass in the Alps, but the King of Italy was mobilising further south. King Loup was the actual obstacle to the Pope’s ambitions for this stage of the conflict, for it was he and his soldiers who imposed control over Northern Italy, intimidating Bishops, posting proclamations and calling upon citizens of the Empire to stand behind their Emperor and denounce the false Pope who occupied Rome in defiance of God and imperial law, and to support Nicolaus II as the true Vicar of Christ.

The Emperor and his son’s armies crossed the Alpine passes in late 812, and then remained in the Po Valley for the rest of the winter. Pepin and Renaud toured the countryside, with King Loup and his retinue in tow, to take the political measure of the country. Everywhere the mood was pensive, tense, wary. While none were prepared to openly dissent against the Emperor, especially with his army in the midst, the implications of toppling a Roman Pope were significant enough for many Italian locals to be nervous. Even though the Emperor’s might far exceeded his, Italians had to live with the Pope. What happened when the Emperor’s armies turned north and went back across the Alps to Francia? Would the local King, who so far had shown no great amount of ability in his own right, be a strong enough figure to protect them from retaliation?

But such doubts did not stop the Emperor or his forces from marching south when the snows cleared. Rumours that Callistus had mustered an army of his own, bolstered by eastern mercenaries and Sicilian crossbows, did not sway the Emperor from marching south upon Rome…

Roma, 813.

The Pope had determined that, regardless of the outcome of this conflict, no harm should come to the Holy City itself.

“The only choice is to meet the Emperor in the field before he reaches Roma herself. Only then will a decisive action be fought, and this destructive conflict brought to an end,” the Pope announced to the College of Cardinals.

And for everyone who is displeased to hear of the risk to my safety, there is another in this College who will gladly circle me like a vulture before a feast, ready to fall over himself before the Frankish Emperor to assert his own position if he emerges victorious.

But the fears and worries of some were genuine. Political games were one thing, but the presence of a Frankish army on Italian soil and marching directly towards Rome, with hostile intent, had swayed many clerics in the city to stand with Callistus’s cause, at least publicly. Those who would normally be carping and criticising were prepared to stand aside and be useful, for a change, regardless of how little love they bore him.

Fear motivates men as well as Christian love, if not better. Callistus now realised. He had never truly believed it until that day he announced his forces would meet Pepin in the field of battle, but he came to believe it then.

Unfortunately for him, both the late Emperor Karloman and his son knew that lesson all too well, and were prepared to provide a salutary demonstration…

February, 813, Town of Orvieto.

The town was looted and thoroughly burned by the imperial forces, it’s treasures ransacked, even the most holy of relics secured within the church. The priest they butchered, and spread upon his altar for the congregation to find, and then they stripped the church bare of it’s gold and it’s silvers. To make an example of Orvieto, a town which held fast to it’s allegiance to Rome in defiance of the Emperor, Pepin had been prepared to show levels of cruelty ordinarily unknown to his nature, so steadfast was his will to bring the Papacy to heel.

But it was news of this massacre that prompted the Roman army to emerge from the eternal city and sally forth toward Pepin’s forces, camped next to the town they had ransacked and burned out. The Papal army arrived on February 25th, and the two sides spent the next two days manuovering and carefully jockeying for position.

On the 27th, the battle was joined…

27TH February, 813CE. The Battle of Orvieto.

Maurice sat calmly beneath the tree as he wiped down the blade of his sword, blood sipping red into the folds of his rag as he did. Sweat poured from his brow, and he did his best to remain oblivious to the sounds of death and the smell of blood around him.

The battle had been swift, try though they might, the Papal armies could not resist his father’s forces. A straight-up slugging match in the centre of the line had ensured, none of the fancy tactics Maurice knew his father to be capable of had ensued. There had been no need for them. His father had demanded no mercy and no prisoners, so in those terrible hours after the fight, the men of the Frankish forces had gone from spot to spot, killing any groaning, wounded man still alive. Those who fled were not chased down, for the Emperor knew they would carry the word of his victory far across Italy, wherever they might scatter to.

Maurice had no disagreement with his father’s methods. He understood well why it was necessary. But even he could not bear to look for himself at the sights around them. So he shut his ears and held his tongue, cleaning instead the blood that caked his blade.

“Brother!” a cry came up and Maurice looked up.

He saw Renaud headed towards him, face grim and set.

“I was looking everywhere for you.” His elder brother told him, out of breath from having run all this way, “Father requests our presence tonight, there’ll be a feast to celebrate the victory, and after that, we march for Rome.”

“I am pleased,” said Maurice, with a small grin, “Death is such thirsty work.”

“That it is,” Renaud smiled, and offered his hand to lift his brother up to his feet. His face then changed into a concerned expression, “Do you think father is… alright? I mean, I know he was angry at Callistus for his defiance but this…” he could not bring himself to say the word, merely gestured around at the sights on the battlefield, “This isn’t like him. He’s not a butcher.”

“Not ordinarily,” Maurice agreed quietly, as he began to walk with his brother towards the command tent, “But you know the stories they used to tell about old Grandfather Karloman. He had the steel in him to do things like this. Any surprise some of the father’s steel rubs off on the son?”

Renaud shuddered. “None of it did on me,” he said miserably.

A flash of annoyance and Maurice seized his brother’s arm. “Do not say such things!” he hissed at him, “You are the future Emperor, and must be strong. You may indeed need the internal resources to do such things yourself in future. Such is the price of power, as father used to tell us, you remember?”

Renaud nodded glumly, and sighed, a habit he had picked up quite unconsciously, that had become rather irritating to those around him. “Yes I remember brother,” he sighed again and Maurice bit his tongue. “Though I wish I could believe it so.”

Why, thought Maurice, did all the reserves of internal fortitude in our family go to me? You are the eldest son brother, and the throne passes to you upon father’s end. Can you summon no steel within yourself? Have you not the stomach for such things? If I can see why this matters, why can’t you?

“Well let’s not quarrel about it,” he slapped Renaud on the back lightly and smiled at his troublesome and meek elder brother. “Come, father awaits.”

1674859035809.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Will the Cardinals choose a Karolman stooge next? Will one day Maurice teach Renaud to fly from rooftops for the good of the Empire? Thank you for the update.
Swords at the throat are a good means of persuasion for sure:)

As for Maurice and Renaud. I'm focusing heavily on those two for a reason. I shan't say how it plays out yet:) Don't want to tip my hand before it's time. Thank you for your lovely comment, as always:)

Reactions:
March, 813

The road to Rome lay open after Orvieto. A force of brigands descended on the city when news of the defeat reached the panicked populace, and looters took the opportunity to pillage the frightened citizens before the Frankish armies descended upon them.

For those in the College of Cardinals, reactions were mixed. Those who had backed Pepin felt confident about their choices, and those who had advocated Callistus’s positions suddenly found themselves in a rush to leave the city, stuffing as much of the Papal treasury into their pockets as they could muster beforehand.

The arrival of such panic brought with it an old scourge of that ancient city, fire. Rome burned when the Frankish army was two days away from the city, and chunks of acrid black smoke drifted across the Tiber from the blaze. Though the looters were blamed, in truth none of those who were questioned were able to identify the origins of the blaze. The more superstititious labelled it as God’s curse, and a warning of oncoming end times.

Through it all Pope Callistus remained firm, devout in his theological convictions and secure in his faith. In matters of earthly flesh he had failed utterly, to be sure, the truth was that his army had never had much hope of holding back the Emperor’s juggernaut, but he was confident of his future vindication. Like the martyrs slain by the pagan Emperors of old Rome, he too would be remembered as a brave martry who stood firm against the dictates of yet another tyrannical Roman Emperor who would place himself above God…

On the 18th of March the imperial army entered the city. Brisk executions and arrests of brigands followed, and the harsh punishments for banditry restored a certain kind of order to the eternal city. But it was an order maintained by fear, the few remaining Papal soldiers were slaughtered were they stood, and the Pope himself stripped of his pontifical regalia and thrown down before the feet of the Emperor in chains.

“It need not have come to this,” Emperor Pepin told the disgraced Pontiff, with much of his court and two of his sons watching on.

“Aye it did,” the Pope replied, holding his head high despite his predicament. “You set yourself against the face of God, and would cast yourself as sovereign over all the Earth if you could. You deign to claim that which rightfully belongs to Him.”

Surprisingly, Pepin barked an amused laugh at that. “You have courage priest, I shall grant you that. But swords and soldiers win wars, and you had neither.”

“Faith shall win through in the end,” Callistus insisted.

“How well does faith melt prison bars priest?” Pepin enquired, gesturing to his retinue. “I suppose you shall find out yourself now.”

And so the rightful Pontiff of Rome was shut away into a tiny prison, without the merest whiff of popular anger becoming violent. But the mood in the city was sullen, dark, resentful. The occupying army was not popular and the damage from the blaze of the flames was not restored. Fears of hunger and famine loomed.

But the Emperor did not seem attentive to the city’s sufferings. He spent his days wrangling with the College of Cardinals. Those who had supported his goals against Callistus were rewarded, it was said, handsomely, with gold and silver bags. The others were intimidated or stripped of their powers of office, or else joined the previous Pontiff in his dungeon.

The Bishop of Escuens arrived in June, and was coronated as Pontiff Nicolaus II by the Emperor Pepin. As his father had been coronated by the Pope, so to the Emperor now crowned a Pope.

And so the first of the crises that afflicted the division of power between the Papacy and the Emperor of the West was resolved, and it was a neat victory for the Emperor. Pepin, in doing so, set a precedent that could then be followed by others, others who might not have his skill in resolving such things successfully… or his excellent reasoning.

Regardless, for now, the Papacy continued to exist only as a vassalage under the Emperor. In doing so, the Donatives of Pepin were preserved in form, if not in essence.

But by July it was time for Pepin to return to the north. Rome’s supplies were exhausted by the housing of his army, and the city’s governance had now been sorted to his liking.

As his personal retinue were travelling north out of the city and across the Tiber, an old crone stood in the centre of the road, and barred the Emperor’s path.

“Great Caesar!” she cried, giving him a toothless grin, “Be warned! I grant you warning! You have trespassed upon the sacred perogatives of God! For this I curse you! You shall perish in pain, and all that you worked for shall perish with you!”

Stopping for a moment at the sight of the woman, Pepin threw back his head and laughed.

“I do enjoy such jests my dear woman, but alas my time in Rome has done. I am returning home. You should as well!”

The toothless crone grinned maniacally at him.

“Remember my words great King! You shall perish in pain, and the time of your end is nigh! You are cursed!”

“Yes yes, alright.” Pepin muttered, and gestured for his men to move her off the road. “Do it gently.” He murmured, not wishing to render himself more odious in the eyes of the locals.

The crone was moved on, and the progress toward home resumed, but how many of those men would remember the toothless old crone and her curse in the months and years that followed?

OOC: A Pope deposed and another enthroned! As an imperial vassal no less! But will there be consequences? Oh wait and see!

• 2Love
Reactions: