• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As Paradox increased the prices as they promised, I have, as promised, removed all PDX games and DLC's from my wishlist on Steam.

The current prices set for DLC's are unreasonable and brutal, they are 30-40% above Valve's suggested regional prices (and they are set too high since October 2022 to begin with). Players are not made of money. I guess, Paradox will understand that with incoming decrease in sales numbers.

Same here. All dlc removed from my wishlist.
Not even at discount price of 50% worth it. Like I said, I'm not to support this greedy and unsense move.
I hope all loyal PDX players do the same thing.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I guess that's it, the end of the line. I've been Paradox customer for almost 23 years and I've done with this company. The recent price adjustment is just a spit in a face of all the Russian community. It's not like I can't afford Paradox products now, but I don't feel like to support the company anymore and I find the quality of their products unsatisfying for the price that high. As it was mentioned above, 10+ yo base EUIV without DLCs is now more expensive that Baldur's Gate 3 and with all the DLCs is equal to a price of an average smartphone in Russia. So, dear Paradox, it was your choice to milk your customers and it was my choice and choice of many of my friends to say goodbye to you. It were good 23 years but we've got to move on, I'd better spend my money on some other games from now on.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So, I bought ultimate edition of Stellaris and expected to see there all DLC except of the last one, because when I bought ultimate edition of HOI4, only the last DLC was absent, so I expected the same packaging logic.
When I saw (of course, after Steam Sale finished, and prices adjusted) that 3 (!) last DLCs were not included in the most expensive edition - it was a huge dissapointment, I felt deceived and sad.

But dissapointment got even bigger when I saw new prices. Astrale Planes costs more than 1k RUB - for most Russians it is a psychological threshold for buyng even a full game, not DLC. I personally think that it is not reasonably high, I am not ready to pay 1k even for Phantom Liberty which is awarded one of the best DLC in history.

But the funniest thing is the total price of the 3 missing DLC.
The sum of prices of the only 2 last (one of them has mostly negative reviews) = price of BG3 GOTY 2023.
The sum of prices of the 3 missing DLC = price of Victoria 3.

Dear Paradoxes,
Do you estimate that even content (even won't talk about quality) of 1 average + 1 bad DLC is comparable with GOTY2023, high budget RPG with 1 run for 100 hours and replayability?
Do you estimate that even content (even won't talk about quality) of 2 average + 1 bad DLC is comparable with your most expensive and modern game? (I think that Vic3 is good, not average)

Sorry guys, I tried to put myself on your place and understand your views, but what I listed above seems very ridiculous for me as even a loyal customer.
Now the gaming ru-net is simply laughing at you, continue acting in the same way, and they will hate you like we hate SEGA with CA.

I bet that you will have worse sales in RU region this year, but I still don't want your company dead, so come to your senses and do a normal proper market research.

Fix: 4 DLC are not included in ultimate edition, even toxoids from 2022...

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hello to the most non-greedy company on our sinful earth. Recently, you justifiably increased the prices of your great games, so much so that now the DLC set costs the same as some pathetic AAA games.
I believe that it was necessary to increase it by 200% immediately, because just 70% is not enough for us. I am sincerely grateful to you for the opportunity to play Crusader Kings, from the first days all the functions work great and there is not a single bug. For the opportunity to skip the same events that never get boring, for the opportunity to automate the entire routine like appointments to minor court positions, and a perfectly polished interface that seems to have been made by angels. Ideally, of course, the player should give all his money to you for just looking at your games, but Paradox loves and values his players, so he gives away all the games and DLC for almost nothing.
After all, regional prices are made so that everyone can afford to buy your masterpiece games legally anywhere in our sinful land. And it’s great when residents of Switzerland or the USA pay as much as 0.5-1% of the minimum wage, and residents of Kazakhstan or Ukraine pay only 5-15% of the average wage, because everyone can afford it. Thank you, dear Paradox, now your games have become very pleasant to buy, and I don’t feel deceived at all!
I believe that in the future your wonderful company will make the same reasonable and informed decisions!
P.S. Paradox Interactive, it’s high time to take money for the opportunity to write on the forum, don’t thank me for a free idea, I’m not worthy of your gratitude.

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
residents of Switzerland or the USA pay as much as 0.5-1% of the minimum wage, and residents of Kazakhstan or Ukraine pay only 5-15% of the average wage
You don't understand, they have a benchmark from astral planes which shows that purchasing power in RU, UA, KZ is growing, and the people who disagree with that - are regional prices abusers.
+ Paradoxes HAD to adjust regional prices because there are other couple of comanies who did this, and this fact is more imortant than that there are many comanies who haven't adjusted regional prices for decades.

They are not greed or mad, they care of numerous and gwowing middle class in our countires in their way, they try their best!

Last edited:
Sorry, guys, I can't hold my emotions from the comparison - now the DLC costs as much as full-fledged game for 100 hours, this is insane:
1)
1707857399596.png

Original price of Rogue Trader - 49,99€
1707858963143.png

2)
1707857603959.png

Original price of the Roads to Power - 29.99€
1707859002905.png

EUR prices in ~1.66 times differ, but prices in RUB are the same

Last edited:
Reactions:
Sorry, guys, I can't hold my emotions from the comparison - now the DLC costs as much as full-fledged game for 100 hours, this is insane
Lol, they wrote that they don’t have enough sales in some currencies, and that’s why they decided instead of lowering prices (so that everyone who wants could afford to buy games), raise prices (most likely so that even those who could afford them before, but have now given up buying them).
You can be sure that Matthias or any other employee will not say the real reason for such a scam policy, and all the reasons that he said are simply nonsense.
I personally ignore Paradox Interactive (and judging by this forum, I’m not the only one) until they understand that greed does not lead to good, objectively speaking, their games were not worth the money that they previously asked for, but now it is a mockery of common sense.
And I’ll immediately explain why I say that their games were not worth the money. When buying a game, a player usually expects gameplay updates at a certain frequency; in games from Paradox, we get what a normal company would have received as a free update in the form of paid DLC. So the question is: do we want to pay for an update, the price of a full-fledged AAA game?

Listen, I'm trying to control myself and not spill negativity and anger towards those involved (As I reckon there are probably insiders who also disagree with this change, but are forced to smile and regurgitate whatever narrative their superiors gave them; I imagine many of these are in this forum), but this all boggles my mind.

How does making base HoI IV over 10% of the minimum wage in a nation where 60+% people earn up to minimum wage make sense (I do not even want to throw the DLCs into the math)? And my currency is the BRL, which is listed as a moderate increase. It just doesn't make sense to do this when your business model is so DLC-heavy. This will just cripple the niche beyond belief in the affected nations. If you had few customers outside of North America and Western Europe, prepare for no customer in many of these nations.

I just cannot comprehend this whole ordeal, third worlder gaming history has shown us what high prices do to poor players (Ah, the good ol' days of no one actually paying companies for their games).

This just sucks. I lost my old Steam account a while ago and have been rebuilding my collection little by little recently. Guess I will have to remove Paradox games from my list of repurchasing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So the question is: do we want to pay for an update, the price of a full-fledged AAA game?
To be fair, Rogue Trader - is not AAA, one A maximum, and we don't pay for updates of PDX games - look at Victoria 3, they add some new gameplay features from DLC for free and pretty often. Some DLCs (such as No Step Back) are great and worth money to pay.

Before the pre-last price increase on 02/01/2023, all content felt pretty worthy and fair for those prices.
I tried to say, that explanation "we increase prices due to currencies fluctuatuion" is a BS, and not only because most of game dev publishers didn't do this.
Compare RUB rate to USD chart with price of Stellaris chart:
1707934656301.png
USD has grown to Rouble from ~77 to ~92 =+20%

1707933930004.png
Stellaris got more expensive from 699 RUB to 2199 RUB = +210%!

So it is not an adjusment, this is a trend of denial of regional prices at all, the prices will be increased with fake reasons until they are the same with the EU, no matter how incomes in 3rd world grow, it is their target.

Paradoxes, if you read this, I understand that you are not a charity company, all of you work to earn money, no questions, I am ready to pay and most likely will buy Millenia, the Chapter III and even damned 4 DLCs for Stellaris which you forgot to put to the ultimate edition.
But when you raise prices on 200% explaning this by currencies fluctuation which has risen on 20%, you look very greedy as much as devil, like Scrooge McDuck, Mr. Krabs or Jordan Belfort.
You were probably thinking: "Why the hell those countries pay too small amount, when the 1st world pays 40 usd/eur??? It is not fair, we could get more money from them, I saw some Russians in Stockholm with good income."
The reality is - that was fair. You are just making poor population poorer on their top of financial crysis. Income of most Russians hasn't grown in 200% for the last 2 years, and event for the last 5 years, and even for the last 10 years.
Shame on you. Few companies stoop to this level. You will get our money, but not our respect.

I lost my old Steam account a while ago and have been rebuilding my collection
Try to restore the access, it is 100% possible, I've done this 2 times, when my account was lost/stolen.
Soon DLC about Brazil comes for HOI4, and one was for Vic3, I hope you try them

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
To be fair, Rogue Trader - is not AAA, one A maximum, and we don't pay for updates of PDX games - look at Victoria 3, they add some new gameplay features from DLC for free and pretty often. Some DLCs (such as No Step Back) are great and worth money to pay.
I'm not talking about Rogue Trader, for example, I bought the same Baldur's Gate 3 cheaper than the DLC pack from Paradox Interactive now costs. The game lasts for 70 hours and has insane replay value. And large patches for BG 3 are often larger than the entire Crusader Kings 3.
Damn it, Cyberpunk 2077 costs the same as the DLC pack, and now it’s also on sale at a discount, and we get a situation where the game + DLC (with a discount) cost less than the DLC pack for Crusader Kings 3.
The Witcher 3 is a masterpiece of its time, even without discounts it costs less, and with a discount it’s a ridiculous amount, everyone can afford it, and this is for a game that, after a bunch of years, has essentially been reborn.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 the regular edition is cheaper than the DLC pack, and the deluxe edition is quite a bit more expensive. A game that will only be released in 2024 costs less than a game from 2020 (lol, apparently the inscription “created by PARADOX” during loading adds +999% to the cost of the product).
And these are just the games that I can remember.

Regarding “free updates from Paradox”, yes, indeed, formally they exist, but if you look at them soberly, then these are just stripped-down mechanics from the DLC. Let me give you examples: in patch 1.5, Crusader Kings received the “Royal Court” and the mechanics of artifacts were introduced in it. And yes, it is available without purchasing DLC! Absolutely free! Do you know how many artifacts can be found on the map without purchased DLC? As many as 2 pieces! This is what I understand as a serious change in gameplay, 2 artifacts! I wouldn't be surprised if they simply forgot to put them in the DLC and that's a bug.
In the same patch, they reworked the cultures and their legacies, the point is that in the DLC we are given the opportunity to mix cultures and reform, receiving gameplay changes. And... yes, the cultures have been reworked without purchasing DLC! But if you want to mix and change them, then pay!

And this is the essence of all the free changes in the Paradox games, they simply make them as flawed and useless as possible, so much so that they are impossible to use.

For almost 4 years of Crusader Kings 3's existence, we have received exactly 0 fundamental gameplay changes. But we get "North African Outfits" for $5! And this kit was created not even by Paradox, but by a modder (albeit a very talented one). Cool, yeah?
And of course, packs of the same terribly boring event packs, hello “friends and foes”, “wards and wardens”, which get boring in about 2-3 hours. (Thanks for the free hostage mechanic, of course no one uses it because it’s useless)

As for “costing money”... “costing money before”, to be honest, for me personally, all games from Paradox are now worth nothing, simply because I’ve played enough of them and without DLC there will be nothing new, and paying such a scam prices, I will not purely on principle.

Reactions:
I just recently took some time and analize game prices on steam, and conclusion is that those prices in PLN are too high.
I dont know how in other countries, but im sure, that this way You will NOT earn much in Poland. I myself buys the game only on discount and big ones, and lot of Poles do the same.
Why?
For Example - Astral planes DLC costs 19.99 USD which is equvalent of 78.59 PLN, but on steam it costs 91.99 PLN so 23.40 USD, So You are charging additional 3.41 USD to sell game in Poland on Steam. This my dont looks like an issue, if country is wealthier than US, this may makes sens because both in that country and in US, players spent same % of their salary for games... Except not. Average salary in Poland is less than 1/3rd of average salary in US, which means than even same price ~20$ is worth much more In Poland than US.

I would ask considering adjusting Your prices towards either median or average salary in the country which will means that people in different countries would spend same % of their income for games, which in turns means more sold copies. And its not like PDX would LOOSE 10$ for selling Astral planes 10$ cheaper in Poland, because Poles already do not buy it in most cases. PDX would EARN those 10$ instead of earning 0$.

If not most fair approach, maybe consider selling Your games without additional charges? Its not like You have spent additional money to distribute digital copies of the game. It will not make Poles buy more game for full price, but it would look more fair than current price.

For Example - Astral planes DLC costs 19.99 USD which is equvalent of 78.59 PLN, but on steam it costs 91.99 PLN so 23.40 USD, So You are charging additional 3.41 USD to sell game in Poland on Steam. This my dont looks like an issue, if country is wealthier than US, this may makes sens because both in that country and in US, players spent same % of their salary for games... Except not. Average salary in Poland is less than 1/3rd of average salary in US, which means than even same price ~20$ is worth much more In Poland than US.
Of course, I would like prices to be set taking into account the average wage in different countries. But I'm afraid this is impossible. I already wrote about this earlier, the price in Switzerland is nominally the highest, but if you compare it with the minimum wage, then this price will be from 0.5% to 3% of the minimum wage.
At the same time, poorer countries pay nominally less, but if calculated as a percentage, they pay much more. So the average price in Ukraine (for which I calculated this) is ~17,000 UAH and the price for a conditional Crusader Kings III with all DLC is ~5,000 UAH and as a result we have 29% of the average salary.
I assume that in Poland the price for full games with DLC does not reach 30%, perhaps it is around 5% - 15%, but it is difficult for me to judge since I do not know real Polish salaries.

In any case, Paradox Interactive, unfortunately, but in its current form, is a scam company that sells games at the price of AAA and then a “subscription” for a year for DLC at the price of AAA games...
And they won’t adjust anything, I think this year of profit and everything will suit them, because for 3 players who could buy for $10, there will always be 1 who will buy for $30.

And they won’t adjust anything, I think this year of profit and everything will suit them, because for 3 players who could buy for $10, there will always be 1 who will buy for $30.
what if there is one person who buy game for 30$ for every 4 who would buy it for 10$? We dont know, its difficult to estimate such things.
But there is various pirate sites where one can download whole pdx gameswith all DLCs unlocked just the next day new patch was released. I personally know 6 people who plays Stellaris, where 3 of them never bought the game, 2 bought it with at least 40% discount (in USD, so it was even more discount compared to PLN price), and only one person bought at least one DLC for full price. I know its small sample, but a sample nontheless. Tho we cannot estimate, who would change their mind and buy the game for full price if it would be more fair price. Here in Poland and east of Europe, digital piracy is somehow tradition. tho stats shows that since Poland wealth rised, less games was from pirate sourcess... so its not like Poles dont want to pay, they just cant afford it.

what if there is one person who buy game for 30$ for every 4 who would buy it for 10$? We dont know, its difficult to estimate such things.
I understand what you're saying, but let's be honest with ourselves, Paradox Interactive makes games more expensive because people buy them, and Paradox makes a profit even with higher prices. And yes, I agree with you, I also know a lot of people who simply cannot afford to buy these games. For example, I was thinking about buying Stellaris and HoI 4 before the price went up. But fortunately, I did not have time to make such a mistake. Because simply purchasing DLC for these games would cost a lot of money. And I say honestly and openly, I won’t buy a single game from Paradox until there is a price adjustment for more mundane ones.
And frankly, one could even forgive such a price for games and DLC if the games and DLC themselves were of better quality. As far as I know, a DLC for Stellaris was recently released, the quality of which many of my friends have questions about. Crusader Kings 3 has the same problem, but even worse, the game has simply stagnated for 4 years. And the worst thing about all this is that they will continue to be impudent and produce increasingly lower quality products at high prices.
(And of course, no one from the price regulation department will answer us, we can just be indignant here among ourselves, most likely we paid too little for anyone to pay attention to us.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really love and have been playing Stellaris since its release, but for the last two years I have hardly been able to play it thoroughly. Despite this, I bought all the add-ons (except the last one) at their release. I was unpleasantly surprised to find out how prices increased with the introduction of subscription model.
I looked at the price history, from the release of the game on May 9, 2016 until May 23, 2022, prices did not change, and then there were three increases every six months, which in fact doubled the cost of the DLC and tripled the cost of the base game.
It is now clear that this was done to make the subscription seem more justified.

It's sad and disappointing that I can't buy and own the game like I used to at reasonable prices.

stlr1.png

Haha, i live here:
stlr2.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
Q.E.D. Market has solved the issue. Greediness has been punished by rouble.
Even other people in Paradox understand the negative effect after the changes.

1710980427665.png

Hmm, who could expect that people don't like when prices go up unreasonably?
Anyone who can use Google and Numbeo?
Hint: If you set price -45% lower (which earlier was -75%) for the region where average salary is -80% lower (espesially if a product has been released 5-8 years ago), it means that you forgot to do your homework.

1710980723013.png

Paradoxes, if nobody in the company can research soc dem data in Russia and SIC, then you can hire me as a freelancer, I will do it for you.

Perhaps, the last HOI4 DLC feedback is related to its content, but the current mixed reviews for the great Stellaris - direct consequenses of your wrong business decisions, about which I tried to warn you here.
Return old prices! It is not too late to return folk love back!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Q.E.D. Market has solved the issue. Greediness has been punished by rouble.
Even other people in Paradox understand the negative effect after the changes.

View attachment 1098753

Hmm, who could expect that people don't like when prices go up unreasonably?
Anyone who can use Google and Numbeo?
Hint: If you set price -45% lower for the region where average salary is -80% lower (espesially if a product has been released 5-8 years ago), it means that you forgot to do your homework.

View attachment 1098754

Paradoxes, if nobody in the company can research soc dem data in Russia and SIC, then you can hire me as a freelancer, I will do it for you.

Perhaps, the last HOI4 DLC feedback is related to its content, but the current mixed reviews for the great Stellaris - direct consequenses of your wrong business decisions, about which I tried to warn you here.
Return old prices! It is not too late to return folk love back!
Worst is when they set +10% price (compare to US) where average salary is 1/3rd of US

Reactions: