• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
torenico said:
No, 2 things.
1) The game is oriented in 1936 - 1948 (46, i dont remember), so no Cold War, or a very little part of it. No time for Invasions or anything.

2) Wich should be the German Capital? East or West?.. none, just berlin

1: Berlin divided two in July 1945. Not in 1949.
2: Many Third Reich government building were in East Berlin, so, capital is East.

That doesn't make sense to have West and East Berlin's. Both terms were only coined when the city was divided in half after WWII. So as some people say do you want to have a Nazi Germany whose capital is in East Berlin? What is that?

The best solution, in my judgement, is to have a Berlin and a West Berlin. Kind of like the states of Virginia and West Virginia. But I think it is the best to include the possiblity to change province name in game, both manually and via events.

SimoneZ said:
So is there combined terrain?

I never want my hometown described as simply MOUNTAIN where it is indeed very hilly and covered by dense jungle and river nets...
I think so. Both EU3 and Rome had mixed terrain, so it's a good bet that HoI3 will too. I'm curious how that will affect movement speeds though. Just a weighted average of whatever terrains are there?

I'm also interested in seeing how widespread the urban terrain is. While some provinces like the major cities and capitals will probably be 100% urban, I imagine a lot more provinces will have lesser percentages.

SimoneZ said:
So is there combined terrain?

I never want my hometown described as simply MOUNTAIN where it is indeed very hilly and covered by dense jungle and river nets...

You can see on the screenshots that some provinces have a more dense forest or the forest only covers half of the province so I'm guessing that's in.

How does this work in Rome and EU3? A weighted number to determine defensiveness etc?

Earl Uhtred said:
New York / Brooklyn / NJ might qualify as they are separated by strategically significant bodies of water.

The Hudson River is no easily crossed barrier, and neither is the East. I definitely hope that New York is split into Manhattan, Brooklyn/Queens, Long Island and Staten Island.

Chief Savage Ma said:
The Hudson River is no easily crossed barrier, and neither is the East. I definitely hope that New York is split into Manhattan, Brooklyn/Queens, Long Island and Staten Island.

With 10.000 provinces, it's not impossible. :)

Rompa said:
With 10.000 provinces, it's not impossible. :)

If they simply split the HoI2 provinces (which has about 2500 provinces) into 4 then the odds aren't good the city of New York will be split (or any other city).

Another thing I noticed when looking at the map of New York state is the difference in sizes of provinces between the US and Europe.
Belgium (30000 square km) has 8 provinces, while NY state (140000 square km) has 6 provinces for a 4.5 times bigger area.
(if you extrapolate that, you would need 36! provinces for NY state, in HoI2! :D )
(that would be 150 provinces in HoI3, crazy :eek: )

East and West Berlin should be partitioned, if we have a 1945/doomsday scenario. Also, the map for berlin is wrong :D
But then again that can easily be modded afterwards. *makes note to himself* ;)

Please think about the people with various degrees of Color blindness.

Dark Scipio said:
Please think about the people with various degrees of Color blindness.

I'm colour blind and I can see the borders.

Although I'm only Blue/Green colour blind. As long as they're not next to each other, it should be fine :D

But change Austria/Yugoslavia's colour, and don't make Blue/Green countries border each other and I'll be fine :D

Its been over a week, another sneak peak soon? :(

zeekater said:
Another thing I noticed when looking at the map of New York state is the difference in sizes of provinces between the US and Europe.
Belgium (30000 square km) has 8 provinces, while NY state (140000 square km) has 6 provinces for a 4.5 times bigger area.
(if you extrapolate that, you would need 36! provinces for NY state, in HoI2! :D )
(that would be 150 provinces in HoI3, crazy :eek: )
The whole of the Americas (and other continent too actually) makes no sense if you want to keep the same scale as Europe, both for provinces and rivers.
But since the main action is in Europe I guess it's ok that they get the bulk of provinces there.

Filou said:
The whole of the Americas (and other continent too actually) makes no sense if you want to keep the same scale as Europe, both for provinces and rivers.
But since the main action is in Europe I guess it's ok that they get the bulk of provinces there.

I don't mind either, but it's staggering how big the difference really is :)

The city of Eisenhüttenstadt was founded in 1950's by the communists. Not a good name for WW2 game, better use Fürstenberg (which was merged into the new city).

Herr Mike said:
Single guy units? Aw. It looks so much better if you have multiple figures in the unit. Let's start a petition for it.

I prefer single-guy units to multiple guys a la HOI1. I prefer counters even more.

SirGrotius said:
I prefer single-guy units to multiple guys a la HOI1. I prefer counters even more.

I never made the jump to counters, despite them being better at conveying information. I guess I still have too much of that kid who played with army men in the sandbox in me. ;)

Filou said:
One of the problems in HoI2 is that the combat system is written for European-size provinces, which pretty much ruins most aspects of the Asian theatre where the provinces are 10 times as huge. The more even the province sizes are, the more entertaining the war outside Europe will be.

I wholeheartedly agree that leaving some programming- and CPU capacity to the AI is far more important than concentrating on making rounded province borders, but speaking of prettiness, I adore the font used on the alpha map.